My Ohana Experience

Clifton Tesh

DIS Veteran
We went to O'hana tonight (1/24/23) for dinner (5:50pm)

The service was wonderful, our waitress' name was Mandie, she was exceptional.

As for the food, this is probably a one and done for me. I've experienced it but do not personally believe it is worth the price that you pay for it.

The salad dressing was pretty good, the bread can take a long walk off a short pier (not a fan of coconut).

The noodles and pot stickers are definitely the star of the show but I personally do not see why everyone goes crazy for them. They're good, but I prefer the ones at my local hibachi place a lot more.

The grilled chicken was decent but it wasn't anything I wanted to ask for more of.

And I would steer clear of the steak and shrimp. The steak was very very very chewy. It will make your jaw tired trying to eat it and the shrimp didn't have much flavor to it at all.

As for the bread pudding, well, I hate pineapple and coconut so I didn't try it.

I will say that my waitress was more than willing to substitute regular dinner rolls for me and gave me a bowl of ice cream since I don't like pineapple or coconut. I didn't ask for any substitutions, she just brought them.

Last edited:
It has been several years since we dined there and see no reason to return. The service was severely rushed, and the food just wasn't that good. In years past, was much better.
do we need every course arriving at once? Don't think so.
We didn't feel rushed but it was also a Tuesday night and our waitress did say that it was slow. It didn't look slow to me but she's been working there 23 years so I'm gonna take her word for it.

We haven’t been in years. I almost booked it for arrival night on our last trip since we were staying at the poly but went with a character meal instead. I’m thinking about it for our trip in July again. Thanks for the review. Something to think about

We went to O'hana tonight (1/24/23) for dinner (5:50pm)

The service was wonderful, our waitress' name was Mandie, she was exceptional.

As for the food, this is probably a one and done for me. I've experienced it but do not personally believe it is worth the price that you pay for it.

The salad dressing was pretty good, the bread can take a long walk off a short pier (not a fan of coconut).

The noodles and pot stickers are definitely the star of the show but I personally do not see why everyone goes crazy for them. They're good, but I prefer the ones at my local hibachi place a lot more.

The grilled chicken was decent but it wasn't anything I wanted to ask for more of.

And I would steer clear of the steak and shrimp. The steak was very very very chewy. It will make your jaw tired trying to eat it and the shrimp didn't have much flavor to it at all.

As for the bread pudding, well, I hate pineapple and coconut so I didn't try it.

I will say that my waitress was more than willing to substitute regular dinner rolls for me and gave me a bowl of ice cream since I don't like pineapple or coconut. I didn't ask for any substitutions, she just brought them.
We felt the same ! Atmosphere and service was fantastic. Food was meh 🤷‍♀️
It’s a one and done for us too.

We went there last week. I have to agree - our server was fantastic! I thought the food was ok - the standouts were the chicken wings and bread pudding for me. I didn't care for the shrimp or any of the main meats. We had an amazing view and a great time, nonetheless. When we want to spend that kind of money in the future, however, I'd probably opt for a 2-course meal at a signature which would be cost comparable I think.

I'm glad someone else said it. We hadn't been in ages, so we booked for our trip last June. I still love the views, and the atmosphere, and the music, and the staff...the only thing I didn't like was the food. It wasn't bad...but it wasn't good either. Just...ok. I'd go back for the atmosphere for sure, maybe for breakfast instead of diner though! 😊

We went there last week. I have to agree - our server was fantastic! I thought the food was ok - the standouts were the chicken wings and bread pudding for me. I didn't care for the shrimp or any of the main meats. We had an amazing view and a great time, nonetheless. When we want to spend that kind of money in the future, however, I'd probably opt for a 2-course meal at a signature which would be cost comparable I think.
That's what I told the wife. We had our teenage daughter and 4 year old son with us so after tax and tip, it cost us $270+. For that kind of money we could have went to a good steakhouse or something on property.

We had a very similar experience.
Salad - Good
Bread - Good
Pot Stickers - Very good. Would have been excellent if they had a dipping sauce. I asked, they don't have.
Noodles (first serving, good. Second serving re-fill, bland and no seasoning)
Chicken - Oaky, a little dry, but tasted fine
Shrimp - Overcooked and shells were impossible to peal off
Steak - Char burned, black, rock hard cubes. Sent it back for edible ones. Second serving was cooked perfect, but very tough to cut and even tougher to chew
Bread Pudding - Excellent. Best dish of our meal.

As a side note, our server was decent. He did rush us by trying to bring everything out at once. We told him to slow down, and he took it literal. We couldn't find him when we needed something (like food and drink re-fills). But he was very nice, and got whatever we needed.

For a restaurant that's so hard to book, and raved about by so many people, I failed to see the value of it and don't understand all the hype.

They need to make the meats higher quality. The best part of 'Ohana dinner (now) is the potstickers, noodles, and wings. Seeing as you can order those things from Tambu Lounge for considerably less than $60 per person, I don't know why I would eat at 'Ohana for dinner again.

Didn't they change the bread pudding, recently, too? Last time I had it in 2021, something was different. First time I went to 'Ohana was probably sometime in 2008-09. It's just not the same restaurant, unfortunately.

We love it all except the meat. Absolutely terrible, even when cooked medium it’s still like chewing on rubber. Those wings and noodles though Yum!!!

They need to make the meats higher quality. The best part of 'Ohana dinner (now) is the potstickers, noodles, and wings. Seeing as you can order those things from Tambu Lounge for considerably less than $60 per person, I don't know why I would eat at 'Ohana for dinner again.

Didn't they change the bread pudding, recently, too? Last time I had it in 2021, something was different. First time I went to 'Ohana was probably sometime in 2008-09. It's just not the same restaurant, unfortunately.
At there last week, same bread pudding I remember from our first visit in 2011. It's always been fruity with caramel sauce

The biggest drawback to changes at Ohana for us is they no longer do it brazilin steak house style. What they brought us tasted fine. I just liked having individual pieces served vs platters. Seems like the steak was served plain then too, which I prefer. Not a chimichurri fan.

As for being rushed, I'm still wrapping my brain around what that means. I've never, ever, in my life, been pushed out of a restaurant. We always remain at a table as long as we want. Maybe we are just oblivious to the signs? I don't even understand how folks are rushed away from eating

At there last week, same bread pudding I remember from our first visit in 2011. It's always been fruity with caramel sauce

The biggest drawback to changes at Ohana for us is they no longer do it brazilin steak house style. What they brought us tasted fine. I just liked having individual pieces served vs platters. Seems like the steak was served plain then too, which I prefer. Not a chimichurri fan.

As for being rushed, I'm still wrapping my brain around what that means. I've never, ever, in my life, been pushed out of a restaurant. We always remain at a table as long as we want. Maybe we are just oblivious to the signs? I don't even understand how folks are rushed away from eating
Last time we went, they brought out the hot towels and our check before all meat had been brought around (2019, pre pandemic). We had just started our appetizers! We still stayed, probably longer than we would have because my brother was not happy. It was not good and our last time there. Not worth it for the price, especially with all the reports of the steak being almost inedible and the other changes to the meats served. We go to the Tambu Lounge and order the wings, noodles, and dessert there for less than half the price.

We also found we were rushed our last trip there. Mains were brought out seconds after appetizers. We still had members eating mains when dessert was brought. While it wouldn't surprise me, or bother me, at some chain something or another, for a $300 meal I expect you to at least pace things appropriately.

I feel like’Ohana is so hit or miss in recent years. The service, the food quality, the options, etc. they all seem to be changing often. We love the atmosphere, but we have stopped going every trip. Just not consistent enough for us.

So sad how it has changed. It was always a first night favorite for us. We felt totally immersed in the Disney bubble on the first night. Also thought it was so special to have the kids able to get up and have fun (loved the man that used to sing there...forgot his name). The food was so much better then it is now, there was always something for everyone and just made night one so special. You definitely get the same food at home at a local restaurant but there was just something special there.

We loved jumping on the monorail after night and visiting some of the hotels and catching the fireworks.

I hope one day it returns to its original glory for families in the future

Thank you for the review. I've never been, but it seems like a lot of money for mediocre beef and standard asian restaurant sides. Maybe if my family really wants to go, but I'm not going to suggest it.

Try 'Ohana breakfast.

That's as good as ever and a traditional must-do for us. Particularly important because we both have food allergies, and 'Ohana always has done a great job with those.

Thank you for the review. I've never been, but it seems like a lot of money for mediocre beef and standard asian restaurant sides. Maybe if my family really wants to go, but I'm not going to suggest it.
It's one of those things where very similar foods are offered abundantly where I live so I have had it many many times.

If you do not have food like this available where you live, I would recommend at least going one time (but it sounds like you've got food like this in your neck of the woods).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter