My daughter doesn't think she needs a Carbon Monoxide Detector

Interesting, I'd never thought about this myself as we don't use gas but when i lived in CA it was something that worried me every now and then.

Walt Disney's Mother died of this as well, in a home he and Roy bought for their parents less than à month after they moved in. That must have caused some awful guilt. Best to have detector and be safe I think.

weird Al Yankovic also lost his elderly parents to Carbon Monoxide. They forgot to open the flue in the fireplace.

In Ma we had a bad snowstorm, mother was home with the kids and the snow was high enough that it covered the exhaust vent, several family members died. We now shovel out that area when we get tons of snow.

We have a detector on every floor, plus the first floor one also detects propane since our stove top is propane.

They're cheap, you plug them in, what' the big deal? Tell her to plug it in an out of the way outlet and forget about it...unless she hears the noise!

Worth repeating

Anything that has combustion will produce carbon monoxide. That includes gasoline or diesel motors, appliances that run on natural gas, propane, and fuel oil, fireplaces, woodburning, pellet and coal burning stoves, kerosene heaters, candles, and even smoking

Sice i have none of those things (except candles) i dont think that monitor is necessary here

If I had a gas stove or heat-absolutely!

Worth repeating

Anything that has combustion will produce carbon monoxide. That includes gasoline or diesel motors, appliances that run on natural gas, propane, and fuel oil, fireplaces, woodburning, pellet and coal burning stoves, kerosene heaters, candles, and even smoking

And what does carbon monoxide smell like?

Nothing.....IT IS ODERESS!!!!!

It will put you to sleep forever and you will not know it happened.

As we thought, we have none of those things in our house (well, we do have a fireplace but we haven't used it in 8 years or so and have no plans to use it), so we don't need a detector. BUT, we do have one now so we're covered "just in case"!

If the apartment complex is all electric, no garages, no fireplaces, then probably you don't need one though I would have one anyway because I'm just a little tiny bit nuts. If there is any source of combustion in the complex, then yes, all units should have one.

They're cheap, you plug them in, what' the big deal? Tell her to plug it in an out of the way outlet and forget about it...unless she hears the noise!

Mine is battery powered. I don't get why people don't have one either? :confused3 It's not going to hurt one to have it. But, one can certainly die without one. It's not that much of a nuisance or inconvenience to have one.

Walt Disney's Mother died of this as well, in a home he and Roy bought for their parents less than à month after they moved in. That must have caused some awful guilt. Best to have detector and be safe I think.

weird Al Yankovic also lost his elderly parents to Carbon Monoxide. They forgot to open the flue in the fireplace.

Tennis legend, Vitas Gerulaitis, was staying at a friend's home. A malfunction in a propane heater caused carbon monoxide gas to seep into the guesthouse where Gerulaitis was sleeping, causing his death. He was only 40.

When I was 20 I lived in a house without carbon monoxide detectors. Brand new home, brand new furnace...but something was wrong with it. I woke up when my ex got home from work, got up to go to the washroom (I was a few months pregnant) and my head hurt horribly. I got dizzy and nauseous and couldn't make it back to bed, so he had to carry me. After just a little while in the house, he started getting sick too...so he figured out what was happening and ran around, opening windows. He got me out of the house and to my mom's. I slept and felt better with the fresh air. It was very scary...especially to realize if ex didn't get home when he did, my unborn son and I could have died. I've never NOT had a carbon monoxide detector since...I've VERY particular about it. You are a good mom!

My mom did the same thing for me.
My house has two dual smoke/carbon monoxide detectors at the top and bottom of the stairs. When I had issues with them and had to replace them all, my mom bought me a plug in one to put downstairs by the closet that holds my gas powered water heater and dryer so now I have 3.

since she lives in an apartment; I just researched it and they are recommended whether you live in an apartment or house. One site even suggested people taking one when they go on vacation!

I'm buying my daughter one tomorrow :)

Our apartment came with one, Our condo had them too maybe that's why she thinks she doesn't need it.

since she lives in an apartment; I just researched it and they are recommended whether you live in an apartment or house. One site even suggested people taking one when they go on vacation!

I'm buying my daughter one tomorrow :)

I had a friend in 6th grade who died of carbon monoxide poisoning along with her younger sister and mother.

I wish I could write more, but it's just too painful to type.

Please do get the detector.

We did not have one Until we called a repairman in because our heater (gas pack) was rattling. Thank goodness because he found that we had a cracked heat exchanger and it could have been leaking CM the whole time. We got a detector and a new unit!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter