Motion sickness remedy for daughter with asthma?

ShortyNBug

Mouseketeer
I bought some motion sickness pills that read safe for children on the bottle just incase any of us need them. Then as I read closer it says not to use on children who have breathing problems. Is there anything I can have with me to use just incase?

I'm not sure about the asthma contraindication, but maybe you could try some ginger candies or ginger ale? Ginger helps settle the stomach.

I have a call in to her dr office but haven't heard back quite yet so I thought I'd ask the experts.

Yeah, I'd check with the doctors. I have asthma and I take Bonine, but I'm not sure if kids can take that.

It says for Dramamine it is safe for those unless they have extreme breathing issues, such as COPD and chronic bronchitis but did not say asthma (this was on my bottle). My daughter has asthma and I give her 1/2 tablet, she does fine.

I have Asthma and severe motion sickness. I do not like to take pills because they don't usually agree with me. My solutions that work are the seabands. You can get them at your local drug store for like $7. They are little wrist bands that press on your pressure points on your wrists like acupressure. Also Ginger does work, Ginger ale or ginger candies or they do sell supplements by the vitamins that I take. Don't know if you want to give pills to your DD. Another recent find that I have found is some drops called MotionEaze. The are like aromatherapy. They have all natural things in them like lavendar and other all natural herbal oils. You just put a drop behind each ear and they work really well. It is a little stinky, put the smell fades after a couple of minutes. These have worked really well especially in the car on long trips. And like I stated above I get really, really motion sick. I have heard you can find these drops in Walmart and such, but I wasn't able to find them in my area. I did order them on Amazon and got them pretty quick. I think they are great.

These ideas I think are all great for a young child without being so harsh like some of the motion sickness meds can be. Good luck and hope this helps:)
Have an awesome trip!

Our drs said to do the ginger ale, drops or candies and you could try the sea bands.

We also use Motion-Eaze for my daughter who just plain hates to take medicine. Both DDs use it for in the vehicle. They have even felt better by putting it on after they start to feel sick. You can get it at Wal-mart. It smells like a blend of pine and peppermint to me. You just dab it behind the ears.

Both of my sons have asthma and their pediatrician said to have them take 1/2 a dramamine or bonine if needed or to eat green apples. Luckily in 12 DCL cruises they have never been sea sick on the Wonder or Magic. My now ds9 was only sick once on a small excursion boat in Anguilla (but so was everyone else, me included!)

We also use Motion-Eaze for my daughter who just plain hates to take medicine. Both DDs use it for in the vehicle. They have even felt better by putting it on after they start to feel sick. You can get it at Wal-mart. It smells like a blend of pine and peppermint to me. You just dab it behind the ears.

I tried that this trip, because we had a horrible flight last time and I spent three days sick to my stomach because of it. I used a combination of the Sea Bands and Motion-Eaze and I wasn't remotely queasy, on the plane or on any of the big E-Ticket rides.

We rode The Mummy rollercoaster at Universal 4 times in one day and I was perfectly fine. So I think it definitely worked!

I also say try sea bands. My three year old has major car sickness that started a little after her first birthday. We use sea bands everytime we are in the car longer than 45 minutes. She calls them her "bracelets" and she knows if her stomach starts feeling funny to ask for them. They seriously work wonders!!

I have asthma and take medications daily for it. I have used Sea Bands and bromine. The bromine was ok'ed by MD for short term use only and didn't seem to bother me. Took it for about 4 days on a cruise once a day. Would definitely try Sea Bands first. AAA sells them and if you are a member it is the cheapest place to get them.

We are driving from NY to FL in 2 1/2 weeks and am very nervous about my 2 daughters getting sick in the car, equally nervous about giving them pills. We already have seabands and I will be buying some MotionEaze before we go. Thanks everyone!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter