• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Most Expensive / Moist Exhausting Continued - Final thoughts and wrap-up

I wanted to get one last post in before they shut this baby down.... whether I've read the last update or not. I can always do that, even after it's relegated to "party's over" status. Hope you're all well, everyone; I think about you guys all the time while I'm here. :goodvibes

Glenn, I just got home and read your final thoughts - what a lovely wrap up of the TR! Will reply in more detail tomorrow, but wanted to say how much I enjoyed the TR! Thanks for all the effort you put into it! :thumbsup2

glenn, im taking that as you will give me marvs prize...thats what i read when i see the smiley face.

If I asked Candi, I bet she'd say that you hear what you'd like to hear. :laughing: (And my wife would say the same.)

So first I read this and thought "Aww that's so nice" and made me feel all warm and fuzzy.

:)

Then I read this long list and thought NEVERMIND :rotfl: You picked some good ones though (liked how you sneaked in Bubba).

You know I was just teasing. :goodvibes I thought it was pretty funny to sneak Bubba in there.

But really, Hayden Christensen really ain't that great...just sayin' but that's my personal opinion. Maybe I'm biased because I went to the same high school as him :rolleyes1

I agree....he was kind of lame as Anakin S. I really didn't put a whole lot of thought into the list, I just looked up famous Canadians and jotted down some names I recognized.

And there's no beating Geddy Lee - he's a bass god :worship: And that voice is priceless.

So glad I beat Pierre Trudeau :lmao: Great list!!!

:thumbsup2

I have no idea how I manage it. Maybe because I don't live on my own yet. That will change hopefully this year!

Things will be different then! Good luck.

Yikes! Okay Roz.... but you must chime in on occasion so I know you're still alive.

I will!

I have enjoyed your trip report and really can't believe it is so many pages and this is part two.:lmao:

Thank you! I agree on the length...I can't believe it either.

Children grow up so fast so enjoy them while you can on trips together because then they start taking their own trips and sometimes parents aren't included.:confused3

I know. I wonder how many more trips we'll have all together.

My vote is for you to take your parents with you if you get a 2 bedroom. They may not enjoy going to the parks but probably would enjoy hanging around the resort.

Good suggestion. I'll have to see if we can make that work.

Even tho I wasn't able to comment much, I've loved reading along!

:yay: Thanks Cherie!

Now...as for bringing extra people....do we really need to discuss how wrong that can go? Magical bags o'crap a;nd all that?:confused3

:rotfl2: I'm sure I'd have some stories too! My mom is notorious for bringing all kinds of stuff along with her also.

Oh my! It is done. I am kind of sad now. No more updates and I still have 5 and 1/2 months to go. Good thing I am a Dis Mom Groupie and Kimmie is back with her trip report to help me through.

Thanks for sharing your adventure with us. I thoroughly enjoyed reading and your writing style is very entertaining. I even was able to overlook the fact that you are a Nittany Lion. I am glad you had a great trip and your family realized the importance of being together. I just made our ADRs for our December trip and I am sad as with two kids graduating college next year this may be our last family trip for awhile.

Thanks! I didn't mind that you read, even though you're a Buckeye. ;)

Enjoy that December trip!

I am confident you will make the right decision about your next trip and it will be wonderful no matter what you do. We had seven day hoppers on our last trip and it did kind of wear me out. I much prefer our trips where we just go every other day to the theme parks. Between DTD, DQ, waterparks, and relaxing at the resort there is still plenty to do.

I find it so hard not to go-go-go. It'll be interesting to see how this one works out.

Again, thanks for all the hard work you put into this resort and looking forward to reading the next one in a year or so!

You are very welcome! I'm glad you came along for the ride.

There's not much else I can say. You already know I have loved your TR.

I do! Thanks! :goodvibes

I appreciate all the effort and time you have spent on it. I hope you and your family can look back on your TR's and remember the little things that sometimes slip your mind.

I like to think that it'll be a really cool treasure that will bring back a flood of memories for them at some point in the future.

Thanks again. I'll be looking forward to your 2012 TR. Thanks for all your advice for SWW. I'll be seeing you! :goodvibes

You're welcome! See you around Jen!

I wanted to get one last post in before they shut this baby down.... whether I've read the last update or not. I can always do that, even after it's relegated to "party's over" status. Hope you're all well, everyone; I think about you guys all the time while I'm here. :goodvibes

Aw, that's nice. You're the best, Liesa!

Glenn, I just got home and read your final thoughts - what a lovely wrap up of the TR! Will reply in more detail tomorrow, but wanted to say how much I enjoyed the TR! Thanks for all the effort you put into it! :thumbsup2

Thank you Magdalene. You're very welcome. I've appreciated the unique perspective and information that you bring to all of us regarding German language, culture, and history. And I know I could learn a lot of Disney info. from you too -- especially Disney transportation!

Final thoughts on the 2010 trip.

Well, I suppose it’s finally time to write the dreaded last chapter. The one year anniversary of the trip has come and gone, whether we’re counting from the start of the trip or the end. I somehow stretched the report to an unbelievable 55 chapters, not counting side trips and life updates. It’s time.

All good things must come to an end. Plus just think how much free time you'll have now! Your chapters are always so witty and well thought out that I can't imagine how much time it must've taken to do them! Now, you're free and can patronize Marv on his thread since we all know how long his TR is going to stretch (eternity I think).

But what more can I say about the trip that I haven’t already said? It was fantastic from start to finish. We had some really special moments like the girls auditioning for American Idol and their Pick a Pearl experiences. I had some great one-on-one time with each of my kids at various times during the trip. But the biggest “success story” from the trip was when we asked the kids what their favorite thing was, and they said “just being together”. You can’t beat that!

Oh, it sounded so amazing! Such great, quality family time and I love that each of your kids had a special time with dad. Though Marlene may be emotionally scarred by your urinating in Morocco... How utterly sweet that they said "just being together!" What a great group of kids you and Judy have Glenn.

We had a couple of really nice DISmeets: Dan (FauntleroyFan07) and his family, and Cherie (BlueyedGirl) and her family. It’s always great to meet these crazy DISers in person. (At least from my perspective -- their point of view may differ!)

Was it this DISmeet where the Candi obsession began?? I hear tell you have some sort of shrine?

Oh, I know a memory of the trip that I haven’t described a whole lot yet. I know we’ve talked about the “moist” occasions that contributed to the trip report title (rain, humidity, sweat, and even spit), and we had a couple of casualties throughout the week where exhaustion/fatigue was a factor. But the other day I remembered how much my feet hurt by the end of that week. They weren’t blistered or anything, but they just felt like I walked ‘em right off. I wouldn’t have been surprised if I looked down and saw that I was walking on nubs. Kind of like Patrick Star:

I hear ya on the feet! Mine felt like the arches were permanently sore for days after we got home. It's so much walking!

Patrick_Star.png

Nice nubs.

So what’s next vacation-wise? It looks like a “staycation” in 2011. The girls are each going on mission trips with their church youth groups, and since one’s in senior high and one’s in junior high that means separate places and separate times, which means fewer dates that the whole family’s free. Plus, we’ve had some expenses which have put a squeeze on the budget. So we’ll probably visit Hersheypark for a day or two, and maybe take a day-trip to Washington D.C. or something. Oh, I just remembered…I won a “civil war battlefield” tour on a United Way auction from a couple of guys who work for the same company as I do, and I still need to arrange that. I won it last year too and they gave us a fantastic tour of Gettysburg.

We're planning a staycation too. I hope the girls love their mission trips, I did one in college that really impacted me. Where are they going?

Hershey is soooo much fun! Have you guys done the Boardwalk area with the water park? Last summer we spent nearly ALL of our time there. It was hot and humid and we were well, moist.

DC is an amazing place, so full of many interesting things to see and do! If you manage to head down, try out the Duck Tour, it's very cool!

Right now I have about 3 different scenarios that I’m mulling over:

2) The "use only 3 days of our 7-day passes, saving 4 for the next trip" scenario. Again, preceded by 4 days in Vero, then to Kidani from June 23rd to the 29th or 30th. The idea here would be to save the bulk of our tickets for a future trip. We’d have some relaxing days around the resort and Downtown Disney, and if we throw in a day at Harry Potter and maybe a day at a water park, it may not feel like we got shortchanged on parks. But the question is, can I only spend 3 days of a whole trip visiting Disney parks. And if so, how will I split up visiting 4 parks over 3 days? What if I were to add 1 more day to the tickets? Hmmm.

I like this option but I'd do four days instead of three so you can hit each park for a full day. The WWoHP looks incredible too! We're huge fans and can't wait to experience it.

I never dreamed when we started this game that I'd have so many pictures where Judy was hidden or just a piece of her appeared. For an unplanned game, it was amazing. And all of you worked so hard at spotting her, that I feel like I need to at least give you the final score. A few weeks ago (before Marv accused me of not knowing the score) I went back and pored through all of the previous posts to compile the point totals. I awarded one for each round. You’ll notice several people with decimals…those occurred when we had to split the points among 2 or more players for various reasons.

Seriously the best game ever! I wish I'd have de-lurked sooner so I could have participated more and boosted my score... Though I do recall several hair incidents where I'm certain the Rules Committee should've ruled in my favor. But I'm not complaining, even though Marv somehow took second place!

James running the ball during a flag football game.

IMG_4797.jpg

Future running back in the making!

Marlene "borrowed" my camera one day and took some pictures of the blossoms around our yard. I was unaware of these pictures until I downloaded everything.

IMG_4806.jpg

IMG_4810.jpg

IMG_4811.jpg

IMG_4812.jpg

IMG_4822.jpg

IMG_4825.jpg

Gorgeous! Nice eye Marlene! The cherry blossoms are so lovely in the spring. We drove all the way down to DC and missed them!

This one looks like it's in the style of my fastpass pictures.

IMG_4829.jpg

Once again, nice fingernails. Very clean. :laughing:

Lauren's birthday dinner. Tortellini, grilled asparagus, and homemade bread.

IMG_4848.jpg

She looks so much older now!

Marlene demonstrating that photobombs are just as effective in the foreground of a picture as in the background.

IMG_4849-1.jpg

:rotfl2: Marlene reminds me of my middle DD, always hamming it up for the camera!

I love Marlene’s expression in these next couple of pictures.

IMG_4861.jpg

IMG_4862.jpg

Swiffer wasn’t left out.

IMG_4866.jpg

Back to flag football. James was in pursuit on defense.

IMG_4867.jpg

Marlene at her choir concert. I could tell her choir director was pretty young when she told the audience that the song "Joy to the World" was made popular by a group called "Three Dogs Night". Oh that hurts.

IMG_4878.jpg

Another night and another concert. Marlene playing the oboe. (Or "oboephone" as I call it.)

IMG_4899.jpg

Lauren playing the piccolo in the Memorial Day parade.

IMG_4906-1.jpg

Love all the pictures Glenn! The kids sure are busy with extracurricular activities. :goodvibes

A huge THANK YOU goes too everyone who read, and in particular, commented on, this trip report. You have made this such a fun endeavor. What’s more, I got to know many of you through it and I consider you great friends. :hug:

It has been such a pleasure reading along. I think this is one of my favorite threads. Thanks for putting so much time and thought into it Glenn, the effort shows. :goodvibes

I plan to take a little break from having my own thread, but I’ll be around. If anyone’s looking for new trip reports to follow, simply look at the signature lines of the posters here, many of whom also have TRs or PTRs in the works, and I encourage you to follow them. I’d list them, but I always get myself in trouble by absentmindedly omitting someone….but please, take this as an opportunity to click on someone’s TR and post a comment. Tell them Glennbo sent you.

Hmmm, sounds like a disclaimer to me so that you wouldn't look bad for NOT including Marv's TR link. Yes? :rolleyes:

See you around the DIS!

See you! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter