• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Most Convenient Resort

As many have said in a roundabout way, the question is too vague to give a rational answer.

For me, "convenient" means:
1) A short walk to a bus stop or monorail from the room. Boats are not really ever "convenient" because they take too long, but it is a nice way to travel if you don't mind the time.
2) Short waits at the bus terminals. Oddly, I have seen the shortest waits at Values and the longest at deluxes in my experience. Maybe just the luck of the draw.
3) Only one bus terminal so that you don't have to wait through several stops.
4) Less crowded busses.

The most convenient resort that I have stayed at was AoA, believe it or not. I had a room on the end of the Finding Nemo building closest to the main building. It made everything super easy. I got up every morning, walked out the door, and grabbed breakfast and coffee at the food court two minutes later. Then when I wanted to get to a park, the bus terminal was 3 minutes from my room with direct and quick busses to everywhere. Epcot and HS were 5 minutes away, MK was about 10-15 minutes and AK 15 minutes. It was really nice and it spoiled me for sure.

The least convenient was probably the Fort Wilderness cabins. You have to take a bus to either the port or the front entrance and then take another bus to your park. It added 20-30 minutes to every trip easily since you had to wait twice, and could be really grueling at the end of a long day.

I have heard the Poly is super convenient and I am staying there for two nights at the beginning of our trip. Just a hop on the monorail to MK and walk over to TTC for Epcot. The last part of the trip is at OKW, which is definitely not considered convenient to anywhere but Disney Springs and maybe Epcot/HS, but I have planned a lot of flexibility knowing that.

Yeah. I suppose that is too broad a question. I guess to be more specific, how about convenience within the resort? Where everything is pretty close together and you don't have to walk a long distance to everything or worry about multiple bus stops where a bus might fill up before it gets to your stop. I've heard POFQ is good for this, although I've never stayed there. Are there any deluxes with similar benefits?

I'm wondering if you have kids/strollers? If so, I'd steer away from a moderate that only offers buses to the 4 parks (you'll be unloading/folding/carrying stroller a few times a day). To us, convenience means having a few different options to/from a park, preferably other than a bus. Granted, my kids are out of strollers now, but we still prefer to walk/monorail/boat.

If we're going to spend a lot of time at MK, then we look at the 3 monorail resorts. GF and Poly do have the outer buildings, but they are pretty compact resorts (definitely not spread out like most moderates), and both offer boat service to/from MK besides the monorail. While staying at GF, we prefer to monorail there (first stop) and to boat back to GF (also first stop). While staying at Poly, we utilize the TTC quite a lot for direct monorail to Epcot (no transfers/stops) and the boat or either monorail station (TTC or right in Poly) for quick access to MK. We have been skipping HS lately, and go to AK one time....so we utilize the buses just one day.

Another deluxe you may want to look at is the WL. It's not connected to the monorail system, but it has a boat to MK. It has the rooms in the main building, so just take the elevator to the lobby/food, etc.

My vote's for the Poly. The multiple options for MK and EPCOT are great, especially since we often go to these parks multiple days on our trips. AK and HS are both 1-day each (maybe). I also think that the Boardwalk area resorts are often oversold in terms of their convenience since they're on the back entrance of EPCOT, so good for late starts and returning to your room at night, but the loops of the friendship boats seems far less efficient (maybe it's just the lack of A/C?) for getting back to say the S&D or HS.

Yeah. I suppose that is too broad a question. I guess to be more specific, how about convenience within the resort? Where everything is pretty close together and you don't have to walk a long distance to everything or worry about multiple bus stops where a bus might fill up before it gets to your stop. I've heard POFQ is good for this, although I've never stayed there. Are there any deluxes with similar benefits?

If you are talking about convenience within the resort itself, I'm voting for BC. The resort is not spread out and everything is under one roof (in particular, the restaurants). The only restaurant you would have to walk outside for is Beaches and Cream and there is a covered walkway to get there. The buses are a short, covered walk from the lobby.

WL would fit this bill as well, but there is a lot of construction there right now.

CR also fits this bill (as long as you stay in the Tower), but the elevator situation there is very bad IMHO. You have to wait FOREVER to get an elevator and if you have a stroller, ECV or wheelchair and you are getting on or off the monorail, there is only one small elevator that everyone needs to share - it can get very frustrating.

Poly is lovely, but you will have to walk outside to get to your longhouse from the lobby or vice versa. GF is the same unless you are staying in the main building which is very expensive. YC is very spread out (and the QS in that resort is in BC). AK has some long walks from the lobby to the rooms, though everything is under one roof (unless you head over to Kidani for the pool or Sanaa). All the mods have outer buildings away from the main lobby area, but you can book preferred rooms to get you a little closer.

But, again, for resort convenience, I would look at BC and possibly WL if the construction isn't bad.

CR is the most convenient overall, IMO. Everything is under one roof (staying in the tower) or very close by in the garden wing or BLT with a covered walkway. It has only one bus stop. MK, which is the most inconvenient park to get to, is in walking distance or via monorail if you are too tired to do the short walk. Epcot is via monorail with a change in the TTC. DHS and AK are both accessed by buses.

However, it doesn't stop there. The CR has a direct boat to the WL and to FW. It is on the monorail loop to the GF and to the Poly. And you can walk to the MK bus stop in about 5 - 10 minutes to take a direct bus to any other resort on property. No other resort has that convenient transportation to all the other resorts.

The big problem with the CR is the pool. It is very plain, with a good slide. WE did like the Bay Lake views from the pool area, however. Some do not like the theming at the CR, but that has little to do with convenience.

I am constantly surprised about the problem people have with the elevators at the CR. We have stayed there several times, with strollers, and never found the elevators to be an issue. Yes, once or twice we may have waited for a couple of minutes for a second elevator at the monorail, but it was literally 2-3 minutes. That ride is very short and quick. The main bank of elevators was never a problem for us in any way.

The Poly is a close second, especially if going to Epcot is a major part of your considerations. As others have said you can walk to the TTC and take the Epcot monorail directly. However, in the resort itself, you have to go outside to get to anything other than your room at the Poly. I love the Poly and it is very convenient as it is a MK resort and therefore is convenient to the MK (major plus when talking convenience) but I don't think that it has as many conveniences as the CR.

If you are looking for the least amount of transportation than the Epcot resorts would be best option since you can walk to Epcot and DHS. Now if you plan on going to MK more than this might not be the most convenient. We prefer to eat most meals in Epcot, so this is great option for us.

I would say the Poly but with the monorail not always running at convenient times or being down for maintenance I'm going to go with the BC. Walking to two parks is amazing.

I am constantly surprised about the problem people have with the elevators at the CR. We have stayed there several times, with strollers, and never found the elevators to be an issue.

I've seen a lot of complaints about elevators at both CR and Poly. The key thing with both is that the core resort at Poly, and the tower at CR, were built in the early 1970s, using steel-frame compartment builds. They were built like cruise ships.

1971 = pre-ADA requirements, among other things. Early 1970s elevators are small, save for some freight elevators (because freight elevators have never been small). And the old longhouses at Poly, and the Tower at CR, are not easily adapted to expand the elevator shaft size to create a larger elevator car.

The elevators are ADA compliant, but you stick a modern stroller or ECV in one, and it pretty much will take up the car. Nature of a 1970s elevator.

I've seen a lot of complaints about elevators at both CR and Poly. The key thing with both is that the core resort at Poly, and the tower at CR, were built in the early 1970s, using steel-frame compartment builds. They were built like cruise ships.

1971 = pre-ADA requirements, among other things. Early 1970s elevators are small, save for some freight elevators (because freight elevators have never been small). And the old longhouses at Poly, and the Tower at CR, are not easily adapted to expand the elevator shaft size to create a larger elevator car.

The elevators are ADA compliant, but you stick a modern stroller or ECV in one, and it pretty much will take up the car. Nature of a 1970s elevator.

I will say that for someone who is a WDW only non-expert ECV user, the elevator to the monorail is problematic. The entrance leading to/from the monorail platform is very tight. Nothing that can't be overcome but it is daunting at first.

Thankfully, they have several so it's not a problem
unless

I will say that for someone who is a WDW only non-expert ECV user, the elevator to the monorail is problematic. The entrance leading to/from the monorail platform is very tight. Nothing that can't be overcome but it is daunting at first.
Yes, this is a huge problem. The waits to leave the platform can be REALLY! bad
And yet another reason to me, the monorail isn't so much a benefit as it is a PITA. Sure, it's got some positives but it's got negatives too. I think they even out (based on my having a guest with me on an ECV and staying at CR)

For resort itself the most convenient itself is Port Orleans French Quarters. With kids I'd say preferred/club level at Beach Club. Least is all the other moderates haha. To the parks if I'm doing an MK trip it is Contemporary but all other trips would be an Epcot area resort.

Thankfully, they have several so it's not a problem
unless

Yes, this is a huge problem. The waits to leave the platform can be REALLY! bad
And yet another reason to me, the monorail isn't so much a benefit as it is a PITA. Sure, it's got some positives but it's got negatives too. I think they even out (based on my having a guest with me on an ECV and staying at CR)
Having the ECV at BLT/CR was so awesome for the walk to MK, just the best. But wow trying to use the monorail to get to Epcot was a headache.

Fair enough. I can see with an ECV, that it could be tricky all right.

I would likely use the walkway for the most part with an ECV. But sometimes the monorail is necessary, like going to the GF or Poly or Epcot.

So, yeah, that is an issue for some people. Then the poly or GF makes more sense, I guess.

It really depends on what your plans are and which parks and restaurants or other activities you'd like to do. But for doing all parks I'd have to say the Epcot resorts. You can walk to 2 out of 4 parks (HS and Epcot) as well as to several other resorts, restaurants, shops and even mini-golf. But if you were spending most of your time at the other 2 parks and DS then convenience to those things mentioned wouldn't matter.

My nod goes to POFQ. It's so small. Even the most remote room is within minutes of food and the bus stop.

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for. I'm looking for opinions on the most convenient resort. Meaning, if you were to pick one resort (moderate or above) based only on convenience, which would it be? By convenient, I mean within the resort. I don't want to have to walk a long way to the dining options, pool, bus stops, etc. I'm not as concerned about length of bus rides, although multiple bus stops are kind of a pain and go along with the large, spread out resorts I'm trying to avoid. Thanks in advance for any input.

I think Wilderness Lodge is the most convenient. It was built up rather than out so you are never far from anything. Our last time we stayed there, we were in one of the rooms farthest from the lobby and it really wasn't far at all. I have walked much father at Poly and Contemporary and those are both supposedly considered convenient resorts. I also like being able to take the bus or the boat to Magic Kingdom. Really cuts down on crowding. Plus, it's almost always the cheapest of the deluxe resorts which is convenient for our budget. ;)

The contemporary is the most convenient. You can walk to/from the mk in less than 10 mins. No waiting for monorails, busses or boats. Since mk has the most going on, the contemporary is your best bet. You can take the monorail to Epcot - just transfer at the ttc.

If you plan to spend most of your time at Epcot and/or HS, stay at the boardwalk or beach club. You'll be able to walk to those 2 parks easily. There are boats but walking is usually faster.

We loved the POFQ for that exact reason, super convenient within the resort itself. Relatively calm, too.

My vote goes to Beach Club. We were able to walk to two parks, although you have the option of getting a boat as well. You are within walking distance of Yacht Club, Boardwalk Inn, Swan and Dolphin in addition to the boardwalk area so the dining options are endless. You can also nip back into Epcot via the International Gateway for an evening meal in the world showcase.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter