• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Monorail vs ferry -and general MK leaving tips

We prefer the ferry over the monorail after the MK closes too, it seems to go faster. One word of warning about the ferry though.

If you take the ferry with a stroller, stay in the open area of the boat, either the front or the back end of the boat.

When my DD was still in a stroller, we took the ferry after MK closed, it was at night & the ferry was packed. We were packed in on the sides, (picture 3 rows of people - the rail, the inner "lane" and the wall), we were in the "inner lane" DD was still in the stroller. People were somehow able to scoot by in the 3rd lane (the wall) and all the flying night bugs that had attached themselves to the wall were knocked of & flew toward us. Between the crush of people they became trapped in lane 2, they terrorized my daughter in her stroller! There was no where to move & all I could do was try to shoo them away while DD was screaming. To this day, DD won't sit or stand on the sides of the ferry & she's 12 now!

The boat docks are called launches at disney

Not True.

Launches are the smallest of the WDW Watercraft on Bay Lake and Seven Seas Lagoon

And, there is no ferry at the CR. Ferry boats run only between the TTC and the MK.

2 Blue flag motor launches serve the CR, WL and FWC on Bay Lake...not ferries.

Not True.

Launches are the smallest of the WDW Watercraft on Bay Lake and Seven Seas Lagoon

And, there is no ferry at the CR. Ferry boats run only between the TTC and the MK.

Im very sorry I dont know my boats and docks. I know there is some sort of water transportation from the CR and I know where the boats leave from in disney are launches.

And a while ago you asked about the launches, what were you asking for:confused3

Im very sorry I dont know my boats and docks. I know there is some sort of water transportation from the CR and I know where the boats leave from in disney are launches.

And a while ago you asked about the launches, what were you asking for:confused3

You are mis-informed. WDW Watercraft leave from docks, not launches.

A boat launch is a sloping ramp from dry ground level down into a body of water, such as a lake, where trailered boats are backed down into the water and off-loaded from their trailer for use on the water.

You are mis-informed. WDW Watercraft leave from docks, not launches.

A boat launch is a sloping ramp from dry ground level down into a body of water, such as a lake, where trailered boats are backed down into the water and off-loaded from their trailer for use on the water.

all i know is that disney addresses them as launches

IMG_3467.jpg

One tip is take your time. Walk out slowly, enjoy the sights of Disney while everyone elses rushes passed you. I have a picture of DH and I in front of the castle with no one else in it. How amazing is that!!!

We like the ferry ride, it is so relaxing.

I TOTALLY AGREE -

Go take some nightime photographs of the Castle.....get an ice cream cone on Main street.....savor the Main Street Experience.

Let the crowds push and shove their way out and 30 or 40 minutes later it will be smooth sailing home!

Have a great trip!

During the day, it primarily matters how you catch the ferry or monorail. If you don't catch it right, it can be another 10 minutes before you're on a ferry. Most of the time, they are basically equal. I know because I've tested this several times.

Now at park exit right after the fireworks, there are almost always 3 ferry boats running. That means one is at the TTC, one is at MK loading, and one is waiting at MK to come in. Each ferry holds 600 people. The monorail holds 400. Given the fact that as soon as one leaves, another empty one is pulling in, the ferrys are faster after the fireworks.

The sign refers to the WDW Watercraft - motor launches and motor cruisers - not the docks from which these boats arrive and depart.

Does it really matter:confused3 Some people call them launches because thats what the signs say. Im sorry if I bother you by calling it that.

Not True.

hhmm might you be one of my fellow sailor CMs??

Don't forget about the gold flag route in 7 seas lagoon :-)

What always gets me is how guests end up on the world cruise dock then proceed to get on whatever boat is there, only to find out we are not headed to the parking lot. Not one single sign on the world cruise dock indicates the parking lot as a destination. Then again, I'm assuming someone would actually read the sign

Does it really matter:confused3 Some people call them launches because thats what the signs say. Im sorry if I bother you by calling it that.

Call the docks whatever you want...just please don't provide dis-information (every pun intended) to others on these boards.

You misinterpret the sign and add to guest confusion by calling a dock a launch.

hhmm might you be one of my fellow sailor CMs??

Don't forget about the gold flag route in 7 seas lagoon :-)

What always gets me is how guests end up on the world cruise dock then proceed to get on whatever boat is there, only to find out we are not headed to the parking lot. Not one single sign on the world cruise dock indicates the parking lot as a destination. Then again, I'm assuming someone would actually read the sign

:rolleyes1 Can't read the signs...that's too easy and logical! :lmao:

:sail:...to answer your Watercraft CM question...Note the avatar of Gen. Joe Potter.

There are two different monorails. one makes four stops, each of the three resorts and the parking area. The other monorail does not stop at the resorts but goes directly to parking and mk. You can use both to get to the parking. We always do.

I am sure this has been asked numerous times, but I'll add one more!;) Was just wondering if any knew/could suggest which was quicker leaving the MK after Wishes - monorail or ferry?

Does anyone have any general tips on leaving MK at that time?

I don't know which one is quicker but when we were there in Nov 08 we left just before wishes started ( on the ferry) and we watched Wishes from the ferry. It was great. :goodvibes

Yea, that was me that referred to it as a 'launch.' Sorry, didn't mean to start anything.

What I was saying is that if you sit where the ferry boat departs from to head to the MK the view is great. Especially if you've already watched it from Main St., the train station, etc.. and you want to try something new.

The view from the beach at the Poly is pretty cool too. Ohana and then fireworks from the beach is a great way to wrap up a trip!

Yea, that was me that referred to it as a 'launch.' Sorry, didn't mean to start anything.

What I was saying is that if you sit where the ferry boat departs from to head to the MK the view is great. Especially if you've already watched it from Main St., the train station, etc.. and you want to try something new.

The view from the beach at the Poly is pretty cool too. Ohana and then fireworks from the beach is a great way to wrap up a trip!

You're forgiven;)

So are you saying to watch it from the TTC? I never thought of that. I was thinking you meant the MK side.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter