Monorail To Everywhere - How Cool Would That Be?

jhaig

Not The First To Pass This Way
You'd think with the gazillions of dollars Disney has in the bank, expanding the monorail would be something they could do. How great would it be to get a monorail from MK to Fort Wilderness or Wilderness Lodge. Or catch the monorail at AK and head to Blizzard Beach for the afternoon.

How feasible would a monorail expansion be? Where else in the park would expanded monorail service work?

The monorail they have already is aging, and experiences more breakdowns than it used to.

However, the primary reason it hasn't been expanded to DHS, AK, or more resorts is that it is incredibly expensive. Much more expensive than adding buses or boats. It's unlikely it will ever be expanded beyond what they already have.

David

That would be nice if it went to all the parks. I love riding the monorail.

That's true. We experienced several delays in service when we were there a couple of weeks ago.

But IF they could, where would it work the best?

I read something about the costs per mile to construct new elevated track, and it was astonishing compared with traditional light rail. Also, the monorail trains cost something like triple what a traditional train would cost.

If they replaced all their current trains, and had the money to expand it, I would like to see it go out to AK. That's a long haul from the other parks and would be more fun in a reliable monorail train than buses. (Plus, due to the geography there's no boat option... though I suppose they could probably build a canal.)

While we're dreaming, I may as well put in a plug for some of the non-deluxe resorts. Maybe a monorail station at the All-Stars or Pop Century would be fun.

David

I never understood why they didn't put the Wilderness Lodge on the monorail loop. If you look at a map, it's not so far away. They could have built the resort closer to Seven Seas lagoon and it would have minimized the amount of additional track needed. Unless there was a problem with building in that area, it seems like a lost opportunity.

Our oldest always comments that while BC is his favorite resort, it would be the perfect resort if they would just run the monorail to us there! :)

I never understood why they didn't put the Wilderness Lodge on the monorail loop. If you look at a map, it's not so far away. They could have built the resort closer to Seven Seas lagoon and it would have minimized the amount of additional track needed. Unless there was a problem with building in that area, it seems like a lost opportunity.

If you go up to the third floor in the lobby and look out the front of the resort, you can walk out onto what was designed as a potential monorail loading area. So it was at least considered in the process.

If you go up to the third floor in the lobby and look out the front of the resort, you can walk out onto what was designed as a potential monorail loading area. So it was at least considered in the process.

Ah, never knew that. Is the area you're talking about located where the two stone pillars are in this photo?
212162419_QsueZ-L-1.jpg

That's true. We experienced several delays in service when we were there a couple of weeks ago.

But IF they could, where would it work the best?

From the front door of my house and plop me directly in the lobby of Pop Century. Noooooooo pwobwem, shewwiff....:thumbsup2

would be nice but i wonder how much it would cost us for them to do this. how much would tickets go up and food prices and everything else that goes along with being in disney! do we really mond waiting for the buses that much?

Ah, never knew that. Is the area you're talking about located where the two stone pillars are in this photo?
212162419_QsueZ-L-1.jpg

I think those pillars are a floor too high. You can't see it in that picture, but the platform I'm thinking of would be just a bit right of center in this photo.

Also, I have to clarify - I'm not saying that WDW made serious consideration to a monorail expansion to WL, only that the building was designed so that a monorail stop was a possibility.

Personally, I don't think the monorail would be a good match with the rustic theme of the resort. Similarly for AK Lodge.

The biggest deterrent to building monorails to all resorts and theme-parks is the huge amount of TERMINAL SPACE it would require.

Look how big TTC is with just the THREE monorails there.
How big would if need to be to handle two, to ten more trains at the same junction?

And there WOULD need to be a central junction, as there would be NO WAY to send multiple monorails (at least the kind they are using NOW) to multiple parks (individually).

Now, imagine what TTC would look like will virtually ALL guests from 4 theme-parks and X number of resorts "changing trains" going to/from parks/resorts/parking lots at or near opening or closing times... even if the times were "staggered". (YIKES!)

AND...
There would STILL be the need for X number of buses going to/from at least some of the resorts... and for "back-up" should there be a problem with the monorail(s) or the track(s).

With WDW as large and varied as it has become... a conventional monorail system (as they have now) would not be very practical on a larger scale, even if its cost to build was lower.

OTOH, there was talk for awhile (within the last 10-15 years) of using a DIFFERENT KIND of monorail system at WDW with much smaller cars that could be more easily "re-routed" on the tracks (think of the cars as rather large "traveling elevators") as needs changed throughout the day. This system is still closer to being "experimental". Another flaw with this system is it would not be able handle a substantial of people per car at any given time, so it would require MANY cars... and there could be significant safety issues with more and more cars operating at once.

I've never heard this before...there is a porch area on the front of the building that looks like it could be a platform, but it isn't long enough in it's current configuration (200 feet is needed, the entire building front at that level is 160 feet, and part of that actually has structure in the way. So while it is possible, either they were planning for a shorter trainset or planning they'd have to retrofit the structure.

Interestingly, there is another "platform" at Epcot of similar length. It runs perpendicular to the existing Epcot platform, at a lower level, and seems to have no functional purpose - except for a possible monorail platform. But there are structural elements and clearance issues that also make it unlikely.

The only thing absolutely known about planned monorail expansion was that there were plans to bring the monorail to what was then the Disney Village area, where there were also plans for an office park, and is now Downtown Disney and the Saratoga Springs Resort. In fact, there is an easement on the SSR property for a monorail, but it's from the original plans and is still there in legal documents for various reasons - not that they actually plan to expand it over there.

I've never heard this before...there is a porch area on the front of the building that looks like it could be a platform, but it isn't long enough in it's current configuration (200 feet is needed, the entire building front at that level is 160 feet, and part of that actually has structure in the way. So while it is possible, either they were planning for a shorter trainset or planning they'd have to retrofit the structure.

Interestingly, there is another "platform" at Epcot of similar length. It runs perpendicular to the existing Epcot platform, at a lower level, and seems to have no functional purpose - except for a possible monorail platform. But there are structural elements and clearance issues that also make it unlikely.

The only thing absolutely known about planned monorail expansion was that there were plans to bring the monorail to what was then the Disney Village area, where there were also plans for an office park, and is now Downtown Disney and the Saratoga Springs Resort. In fact, there is an easement on the SSR property for a monorail, but it's from the original plans and is still there in legal documents for various reasons - not that they actually plan to expand it over there.

The one ramp you are referring to at epcot was supposedly gonna be for another monorail.One of the cast members told us this on our last trip.I would love to see them make a bigger monorail line.Doubt it ever happens though!

The one ramp you are referring to at epcot was supposedly gonna be for another monorail.One of the cast members told us this on our last trip.I would love to see them make a bigger monorail line.Doubt it ever happens though!

We've all been told by CMs many things...that weren't necessarily true (although I'm sure they though they were...) :)

Case in point (and on topic) - the black squares in the Swan and Dolphin supposedly being removable so the monorail could run through them...

We've all been told by CMs many things...that weren't necessarily true (although I'm sure they though they were...) :)

Case in point (and on topic) - the black squares in the Swan and Dolphin supposedly being removable so the monorail could run through them...

The cast member was an older gentleman and he pointed out things about the ramp and even gave the reason it was desserted but I don't remember why anymore.If he was spinning a yarn he sure had me fooled!:confused3

Ahhhh you beat me to it! ;) We stay at the Swan every year, and I was actually about to share how the black areas on the Swan and Dolphin were where a monorail was originally gonna zip through. I really wish they would have continued with connecting the EPCOT area resorts to the EPCOT monorail! :mad: Oh well, at least we still have the boat and can walk to EPCOT!! :thumbsup2

Ahhhh you beat me to it! ;) We stay at the Swan every year, and I was actually about to share how the black areas on the Swan and Dolphin were where a monorail was originally gonna zip through. I really wish they would have continued with connecting the EPCOT area resorts to the EPCOT monorail! :mad: Oh well, at least we still have the boat and can walk to EPCOT!! :thumbsup2

but the issue is not those black areas are just design elements and never meant to be removed .

there is a website that shows that the two " holes" don't line up.

The cast member was an older gentleman and he pointed out things about the ramp and even gave the reason it was desserted but I don't remember why anymore.If he was spinning a yarn he sure had me fooled!:confused3

but the issue is not those black areas are just design elements and never meant to be removed .

there is a website that shows that the two " holes" don't line up.

[SIZE=+1]Legend: “The black areas on the façades of the Swan and Dolphin can be removed to accommodate future Monorail beams.”

Status: False [/SIZE] It seems that one or more captains of the Friendship Boats that connect the Epcot resorts with Epcot and Disney’s Hollywood Studios have been telling Walt Disney World guests the “interesting fact” that the black areas on the façades of the Swan and Dolphin can be removed to accommodate a Monorail expansion. The story has been repeated on Internet forums and websites. And it’s undoubtedly been repeated to friends, family, and co-workers by Disney guests.

There are two versions of the story. One version claims that the spaces behind the black areas are big empty voids. The other version claims that they are filled with “temporary” hotel rooms that can be removed.

It’s a good story, but it isn’t true. The black squares are simply design features to make the large façades more interesting. Architect Michael Graves likes to use dark and light areas or different materials to break up building façades. I don’t know if the captains honestly believe the Monorail story, or if they’re just having some fun at the guests’ expense.
Around the same time that Michael Graves designed the Swan and Dolphin, he also designed the Aventine in La Jolla, Californa, named after one of the seven hills of Rome. His 16-story, 400-room Hyatt Regency La Jolla at Aventine has three black squares on its façade. His 11-story office tower at Aventine only has a single black square on it. There’s no Monorail planned for the Aventine either.

By the way, the black areas on the Swan and Dolphin are substantially different in size (about five stories tall on the Swan, and about nine stories tall on the Dolphin) and in elevation (starting about seven stories up on the Swan, and starting about ten stories up on the Dolphin). They’re much taller than necessary to accommodate the Monorail.
If the beam did go through the Swan and Dolphin, there would not be a logical place to put a station. The beam would be way too high, and the buildings aren’t nearly deep enough. So where would the Swan and Dolphin station go?

If the builder and architect had really wanted to leave paths for future monorail beams, they could simply have left openings. If they wanted to hide the holes, why did they make the “covering” black instead of really hiding them by dressing them up to look like the rest of the building? Why would they put in “temporary” rooms? (Look up at the black area any evening, and you’ll clearly see that there are rooms and people up there.)
One more point... Take a look a the shape of the Swan and Dolphin. Think about where the hallways and elevators would be. Yep. Giant openings would cut off the hallways.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter