• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Mom & Son Going Back! 10 days DxDDP! Complete 10/2 - LTT, GG & Cost Totals

Sorry you are feeling under the weather. I am slowly recuperating as well. Hope you feel better soon. The Kouzzina breakfast looks great!

Thanks! Aren't colds fun?

Thank you for the Kouzzina pics! We are staying BWI so I know we will get there, I dont have a reservation yet but I am sure we can walk in

I have yet to see a pic of the waffle so I am very happy your son ordered it, tell him I said thanks a lot :lovestruc I think DH and I will order what you and your son had and share it, looks amazing!

Are you feeling any better?

I am sure you can walk in as well and that Stacked Breakfast was really good (other than the sweet potatoes).

The end of a very long, very busy work day isn't the time to ask if I am feeling better! :upsidedow Already warned DH that I will be in bed early! DS has plans so he will be fending for himself tonight!

Hopefully, you get well soon! :flower3: I've had this cold for almost two weeks now. I'm hoping that this thing will go away before we start our trip next week. :sick:

I've heard good things about Kouzina. I guess I'm not as adventurous so maybe try breakfast in the future. The waffles look really good.

Ugh, sending healing vibes your way! Sick is no way to start a vacation!

Ok ... feeling much better today after a very lazy day yesterday!

Lunch on the 30th was a Chefs de France. This was a request from DS echoed by DH. I am not as "in love" with this restaurant as they are but ended up adding it somewhat last minute. I do love Remy so I figured I would get something out of it! ;)

We all ordered iced teas. First up we were given bagettes and butter.

img_2362.jpg

Excellent crunchy bread with very cold butter.

Remy came almost as soon as we sat down!

img_2364.jpg

Shortly thereafter, Marie peeked in the window, pointed at him and rubbed her stomach. The handler quickly covered Remy and 'shooed' her away.

img_2366.jpg

It was hysterical! Disney at it's best.

First up, I ordered the Salade au Bleu - romaine hearts, blue cheese dressing, bacon, walnuts, croutons $7.25

img_2368.jpg

If you like bleu cheese, this was delicious! Crunchy, not too cold lettuce, creamy dressing with big chunks of cheese and lots of bacon. I ate every last bite.

DS had the Soupe a l'oignon gratinee - The classic onion soup topped with gruyere cheese $6.75

img_2369.jpg

This is his favorite soup any where we eat and he loves it here. I didn't have a bite this year but in the past found it to be very tasty, very traditional french onion soup.

And DH the A la flamme Alsacienne - Alsace specialty. Cream fraiche, onion and bacon $9.95

img_2370.jpg

I didn't taste this either but DH really liked it. Nice crisp crust and again, lots of bacon. The onions didn't looked cooked enough for me ... I like onions either very small or very, very caramelized.

For our entrees, I had Steak haché Angus, champignons et Bearnaise, salade ou frites - 1/2 lb. Angus hamburger with confit onions, mushroom duxelle, tomatoes, and Bearnaise on on a brioche, salad or french fries $15.95

img_2372.jpg

Oh my! This was possibly the best burger ever. Everything married so well together. The confit onions, the duxelle. I am salavating as I type this. Just an amazing burger. THe fries were very crispy and good dip in the sauce as well as ketchup.

DS knew he would be having the Plat de Cote de boeuf au cabernet avec pates - beef short ribs briased in cabernet with pasta, pearl onions and mushrooms $22.95

img_2371.jpg

DS has had this two other times and this did not disappoint him. Again, I didn't taste it this trip but did have it in the past and enjoyed it. He said the meat was not real fatty and had a great flavor.

DH surprised us by trying the Crepe Florentine - large crepe filled with chicken, spinach, mushrooms and bechamel sauce $14.75

img_2373.jpg

DH liked this but to be honest I don't remember anything he said about it. Again, I didn't try it so I don't have any helpful insight!

We were all too full for dessert. Total was $95.55 with nothing OOP.

I am really glad that they guilted me into making this ADR. It was a fun experience and the food for me was the best that I have had here. It will be a must do for lunch (never again for dinner!) next trip.

Dinner was one that I was really looking forward to --- California Grille! DS and I had an awesome meal in 2008 but this would be DH's first trip. While waiting for a table we could see several empty tables in the room with the view of the MK but no such luck for us ... we were seated on the other side near the open kitchen. I was a bit disappointed but quickly got over it. Our server, Walter, was just fantastic and it was fun watching the action in the kitchen.

img_2377.jpg

We knew we would be going outside to view Wishes anyway.

This was one place that DH and I decided to share a bottle of wine. While looking at the wine list, Walter asked what we were considering and then brought 3 bottles for us to sample before making a decision. I thought that was a nice bit of service. We chose the Jade Mountain blend

img_2375.jpg

Excellent wine. Not too dry, not sweet. We enjoyed it very much.

First up, the bread with sea salted butter...

img_2376.jpg

Bread was crunchy and really nice with the salted butter.

For appetizer, DS had the Triple Cheese - Pecorino, Asiago, and Provolone with Sun-dried Tomato and Arugula Pesto* $12

img_2378.jpg

He loved this. Crispy yet chewy crust, nice blend of cheese. Pestos were really nice.

After asking Walter his opinion, I had the Fried Zucchini with Blossoms - ricotta and almond filling, sweet corn puree, cilantro vinaigrette * $15

img_2379.jpg

This was simply amazing. Light, crunchy batter, very creamy, cheesy filling. I wish there was more. I could have eaten several plates of this and been happy.

DH had the Beefsteak and Heirloom Tomato Soup - summer vegetable relish, avocado, fried Florida rock shrimp $11

img_2380.jpg

DH declared this the best thing he had the whole trip. I had a taste and agree with was a delicious soup. Thick, well flavored. Very tasty.

DS took this pic from the table ... the clouds look like a wolf howling at the moon (which is a light inside the restaurant). I thought came out really cool

img_2384.jpg

For entrees, I had the Oak-fired Filet of Beef - Mascarpone Potatoes, Blue Lake Beans, Arugula Oil, and Teriyaki Barbecue $44

img_2388.jpg

Yum, yum, yum! Perfectly cooked medium, very tender. I loved the teriyaki BBQ sauce. Potatoes were rich and creamy. My only complaint would be that I wished there were more of the beans. I think they were stated to be "Long Beans" when we were there. This was truly delicious.

DS the Handmade Fettuccine - sauteed bluefoots, summer mushrooms, buttermilk ricotta, tiny basil * $28

img_2387.jpg

Walter asked DS if he really likes mushrooms when he ordered this. Then asked him again when DS said yes. I could see why. Very mushroom-y flavor. Perfectly cooked, obviously homemade pasta. His only complaint was that there wasn't more. He is a growing 15 year old boy after all! I have him a chunk of my filet to go along with his meal.

And DH theCast Iron-seared Veal Tenderloin - eggplant caviar, summer vegetables, lemon veal jus $44

img_2389.jpg

Neither DS or I eat veal so DH orders it out quite a bit here at home. I didn't try this but he really enjoyed it. Again, I apologize but I don't have any specific comments about it. He did all but lick the plate clean.

We had to have dessert here ... I started with Earl Grey tea

img_2390.jpg

Very good, cute little teapot. DH and DS had coffee but sorry, no pic.

DS had the Valrhona Chocolate Cake - Warm chocolate cake w/molten center, Grand Marnier macerated California Strawberries and strawberry ice cream $13. DS had it with vanilla ice cream and without the stawberries. I was a bit bummed because I sure wanted to try those macerated berries!

img_2391.jpg

I had the Bananas and Caramel - Crispy baked phyllo squares layered w/banana, caramel, mascarpone mousse, and caramelized banana $12

img_2393.jpg

DH, the Citrus Cheesecake - with goat cheese, grapefruit, yogurt panna cotta, raspberry tuile and grapefruit sauce $12

img_2392.jpg

We were all very happy! I didn't try anyones but mine and it was just heavenly. Crispy phyllo, very creamy mousse. Just delicious. All of the flavors were just perfect together.

Once finished, DS and I went outside to get a spot to watch Wishes while DH settled up the bill. Something happened and the receipt does not reflect the total, only the wine ($45) and tip. Adding up the prices above, it comes to $191.00 plus the tea and coffees so I will use $210 in my estimates at the end.

It was raining a bit while watching Wishes but we didn't care. We could see the Water Pagent on the lake just before the fireworks started. Truly beautiful. A very magical evening. This ended up being our 2nd favorite signature meal this trip and is a definite on our list for next year.

That story is too cute with Marie and Remy! DH and I ate at Chefs de France on our honeymoon and we didn't really like it, but I feel like we totally ordered wrong there. I think lunch looks like it might be perfect for us though! I definitely think we will have to give it another try next trip!

California Grill is probably my favorite restaurant in all of WDW! I'm so glad that you had a great experience there! There is nothing better than watching Wishes from outside of CG. The Triple Cheese Flatbread is possibly my favoite food ever! Glad to see your DS enjoyed it too. That mushroom fettucini looks amazing! DH and I both LOVE mushrooms, so that looks perfect for us. Now I'm really wishing we had made it to CG this trip.

Great update!

Great review of CG. Glad to hear you are on the mend.

Thank you!

Cali Grill and chefs both look yummy! I love the picture of Marie rubbing her tummy.

It was really cute. Half the restaurant had no idea .. even those nearby. We had a good view though.

That story is too cute with Marie and Remy! DH and I ate at Chefs de France on our honeymoon and we didn't really like it, but I feel like we totally ordered wrong there. I think lunch looks like it might be perfect for us though! I definitely think we will have to give it another try next trip!

California Grill is probably my favorite restaurant in all of WDW! I'm so glad that you had a great experience there! There is nothing better than watching Wishes from outside of CG. The Triple Cheese Flatbread is possibly my favoite food ever! Glad to see your DS enjoyed it too. That mushroom fettucini looks amazing! DH and I both LOVE mushrooms, so that looks perfect for us. Now I'm really wishing we had made it to CG this trip.

Great update!

Thank you! Yes, I have really enjoyed my two meals at Cali. Looking forward to next trip. Definitely give Chefs a try for lunch. For me, it is soooo much better than dinner.

The burger from Chefs looks amazing! I loved my lunch there but I had the quiche, it was fantastic!

Cali Grill....oh I love that place! I hope they have the blossoms when I get there, that is one of my favorites!

Happy to hear you had a great meal at Cali Grill. Even though we haven't made it back since 2010, it is still the greatest meal I've ever had at Disneyworld.

We loved our breakfast at Kouzzina and I had the same thing you did. I loved it. In fact, it was one of the best meals of our July trip, if you can believe that.

:scared1: :headache: :eek: :sad2:

I spent the past 30+ minutes typing up my Animal Kingdom day reviews and my computer flaked so I lost it all! :mad:

I have to get ready for work so I can't recreate it now. Hopefully tonight.

Sorry dear readers!

I just caught up with your Les Chefs and Cali Grill review. I have to say that dinner at Les Chefs didn't live up to my expectations so I have to try lunch sometime. Cali Grill is my fav. restaurant at WDW. I'm just said to say that we are no returning this year but I just wanted to give other ones a try.

Oh, no! You must be upset that your computer malfunctioning!!! :eek:
Have a wonderful day~

The burger from Chefs looks amazing! I loved my lunch there but I had the quiche, it was fantastic!

Cali Grill....oh I love that place! I hope they have the blossoms when I get there, that is one of my favorites!

The burger was truly fantastic. It's funny but I thought of you when I typed the Cali review. The blossoms seem like something you would like!

Happy to hear you had a great meal at Cali Grill. Even though we haven't made it back since 2010, it is still the greatest meal I've ever had at Disneyworld.

We loved our breakfast at Kouzzina and I had the same thing you did. I loved it. In fact, it was one of the best meals of our July trip, if you can believe that.

Hmm...not sure what I think about that. We enjoyed our breakfast but it was far from our best meal.

I just caught up with your Les Chefs and Cali Grill review. I have to say that dinner at Les Chefs didn't live up to my expectations so I have to try lunch sometime. Cali Grill is my fav. restaurant at WDW. I'm just said to say that we are no returning this year but I just wanted to give other ones a try.

Oh, no! You must be upset that your computer malfunctioning!!! :eek:
Have a wonderful day~

The computer just 'blipped' and I lost all I had typed. Very frustrating. Definitely give Chefs a try for lunch. I really do not like it for dinner but I am not sold on the lunch.

It is so hard choosing between old favorites and trying new things! I threw out the idea to my "men" about only eating at places we have never been next trip. I was immediately over-ruled. Since we only get there once a year it is very hard not to return to the favorites!

Oh wow, both Chefs and CG look like delicious meals :cloud9:

Great updates :thumbsup2

Thank you very much! Hopefully I can redo my AK day tonight after work. The rest of this week is going to be crazy for me so no promises until the weekend after today!

Ok, here we go with Wednesday, August 31st .. take 2! Animal Kingdom day!

We were all pretty hungry when we got there, probably because of the big dinner the night before. We were heading to the safari so DH & DS stopped at the bakery. I wanted something a bit healthier after all the rich food all week and went to the Harambe Fruit Market for a fruit & cheese plate and some juice.

img_2397.jpg

This really tasted good to me. Grapes were nice and fresh. Couple of different cheeses. A nice breakfast snack. $8.40 OOP. DH & DS actually ate their pastries before getting to me so I could take a pic! :scared1: I don't even know what they ended up getting.

Lunch was at Yak & Yeti. DS and I ate there in 2008 and declared it one of the worst meals of our trip. After reading many good reviews, we decided to try it again with DH in 2009 and we all loved our meal. So, we decided to try it again.

We all agreed to share appetizers. We shared the Pork Pot Stickers - pan seared or steamed, soy lime dipping sauce $8.49

img_2424.jpg

Pork Egg Rolls - chili plum dipping sauce $7.99

img_2423.jpg

Lettuce Cups - minced chicken breast, chopped vegetables, maple tamarind sauce, crisp lettuce cups $12.99

img_2425.jpg

Everything was very tasty ... egg rolls were a bit greasy but tasty great. We had never had lettuce cups before and really, really enjoyed those. Crisp, cold lettuce with the warm chicken and toppings. I could have made a meal of those alone.

For entrees, DH had the Baby Back Ribs - slow-roasted ribs, hoisin BBQ sauce, chicken fried rice, sweet chili slaw $25.99

img_2428.jpg

He loved these and ate every one. I didn't taste so I cannot comment.

DS the Crispy Honey Chicken - tempura chicken, broccoli, carrots, honey sauce $17.99

img_2426.jpg

DS was disappointed in this but couldn't really say why. He ate most of the rice but not much of the chicken.

And me, the Kobe Beef Burger - 10 oz grilled American Kobe beef burger, sesame-soy sauce, mayonnaise, crispy shoestring fries. topped with choice of shiitake mushroom & scallion compote or Asian slaw $17.99

img_2429.jpg

Now DH had this burger in 2009 and gave me a bit. I have dreamed of it since! I was so sad when I saw it removed from the menu and thrilled when it came back. Almost did a little dance when I saw it on the menu. Well, it was good ... but not as good as I had it in my mind. Not sure if it is because the Chefs burger was so good? The flavors all went really well together but it just didn't live up to the taste in my head. :upsidedow

We also got a side of the Wok-Fried Green Beans $4.99

img_2427.jpg

We all love these when super hot ... not so much when they cool down. The beans seem soggy then they cool. That is why we got the smaller side order rather than the appetizer portion.

DH & I were too full for dessert. DS wasn't but nothing thrilled him so he passed. All in all we enjoyed our lunch. Total dining plan cost was $77.99 with $5.23 OOP for the green beans. DS wishes he had ordered something else but enjoyed the appetizers. Will we go back? Probably. It is the only place in AK that accepts the dining plan as we really are not fond of QS. If we didn't have the DP, we would probably only get appetizers.

Later when we settled on a spot to watch the parade, DS went to Flame Tree for a pulled pork sandwich ...

img_2442.jpg

This hit the spot for him. DH and I shared a frozen lemonade

img_2443.jpg

I loved this. Very tart, cold & refreshing.

Next up ... Jiko!

Dinner was at Jiko! This was the one restaurant DS was mostly looking forward to on our Mom & Son trip in 2008 and he ended up sick and unable to eat. The three of us went in 2009 and LOVED our meal so we were really looking forward to going back.

First up was the bread and tandoori butter

img_2474.jpg

I am not a huge fan of the flavor of the butter but the bread was warm and soft and really didn't need butter.

We again shared appetizers ... Merguez Sausage, Piquillo Peppers, Onions, Midnight Moon, Arugula, and Muhammara Yogurt 11.00

img_2475.jpg

Artisanal Cheese Selection - Five tasting portions with accompaniments from around the world $14.00

img_2479.jpg

Tibs Watt in Pannekoeke - Braised Beef rolled in "Crepes" with Peppadew-Olive Tapenade $9.00all ears

img_2478.jpg

All were very good but especially the flatbread. I think Jiko has the best on property, just a smidge better than Cali Grill.

When our waitress took our drink order, she asked if we had been before and when. We told her and she let us know that even though the Mac & Cheese filet was no longer on the menu, we could order it. That was all DS and I needed to hear!

img_2482.jpg

Unfortunately it was not nearly as good as we remembered. The mac & cheese didn't have much flavor to me. DS did like it. And I like my meat medium -- pink, not bloody. I know that Disney tends to under cook so I ordered medium well all week and got perfectly cooked, medium meat. Here the filet was just too rare for me. I probably should have sent it back but didn't. DS finished what I didn't eat so no waste.

DH had the fish dish. The menus I am finding all say perch ... but I know the fish was not perch as DH wouldn't have ordered that. I am thinking maybe MahiMahi?

Seared Lake Victoria African Perch "Kushari" - with toasted pearl couscous, lentils, fresh chickpeas, almonds, tomato sauce, sweet corn cream, crispy onions and harissa vinaigrette $37.00

img_2483.jpg

I didn't try the fish but the pearl couscous was delicious!

For dessert, DS and I both had tea ... Eros for me, Vanilla Roobios for him

img_2484.jpg

We all had dessert

DS had the "One Last Cup" - Tanzanian Chocolate and Kenya ciffee mousse with cinnamon Mascarpone, nutty chocolates, tuille cookie and hot chocolate - $10.00

img_2485.jpg

I don't remember what DH had ...

img_2486.jpg

Mine was Coconut Bread pudding - Warm Bread pudding with caramelized rum sauce, toasted coconut and caramel ice cream - $9.00

img_2487.jpg

Desserts were Ok. Actually DS loved his. Mine was good, but not spectacular. I did love the little pieces of coconut on the ice cream.

All in all we were a bit disappointed in Jiko this trip and probably will not go back next year. We will in the future, I am sure but there are other restaurants I would rather go to.

I had one glass of wine, DH had two. So the dining plan total was $208.30 and the OOP was $40.53

WOW!!! I can't even believe I haven't seen this thread until today! Boy, I missed alot ! :banana: Your reviews are awesome and the pictures, mouthwatering. You did so many restaurants that we want to try for our next trip, so it's nice to see and read about them.

I was so excited to see the reviews for Yak and Yeti, Tony's, Via Napoli and Ohana.... all which are going to be new for us. :goodvibes And I'm VERY excited!!

I can't wait to read more ! Thank you for posting such a great food review! :)

WOW!!! I can't even believe I haven't seen this thread until today! Boy, I missed alot ! :banana: Your reviews are awesome and the pictures, mouthwatering. You did so many restaurants that we want to try for our next trip, so it's nice to see and read about them.

I was so excited to see the reviews for Yak and Yeti, Tony's, Via Napoli and Ohana.... all which are going to be new for us. :goodvibes And I'm VERY excited!!

I can't wait to read more ! Thank you for posting such a great food review! :)

Thank you so very much! :goodvibes

We loved Jiko so much that we could not wait to go back there but the filet and mac and cheese just want the same as it was in the past...the appies and desserts were good but we were so disappointed in our meal....I would love to go back and give it another go, maybe order something else? Question is, what do I give up to add it in? :goodvibes

Yak and Yeti is the place that we choose to eat at AK also. I don't really like CS choices in AK (and DHS). I think we will get two or three appies and share also. I enjoyed reading your Jiko review. I keep reading that Mac & Cheese filet does not taste the same as before.

We loved Jiko so much that we could not wait to go back there but the filet and mac and cheese just want the same as it was in the past...the appies and desserts were good but we were so disappointed in our meal....I would love to go back and give it another go, maybe order something else? Question is, what do I give up to add it in? :goodvibes

I am not sure where you are eating but I don't know that I would change anything around for Jiko right now. Yes, the appetizers were really good and the desserts tasty but the entrees were just lacking something.

Yak and Yeti is the place that we choose to eat at AK also. I don't really like CS choices in AK (and DHS). I think we will get two or three appies and share also. I enjoyed reading your Jiko review. I keep reading that Mac & Cheese filet does not taste the same as before.

Yeah, I had read that, too but was hoping for the best. Now we know. I am sure the menu will be very different whenever we go back. Who knows if there is a menu change, maybe we will give in another try next year. I do love the restaurant and the AKL is so beautiful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter