• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

MNSSHP cancellation?

i was just at MNSSHP on the 28th. Based on past experience: The crowd was not large. The candy lines were not long. The show was amazing. The fireworks are the best Disney has to offer imho. It rained early on, but then cleared. We had a great time. ????:confused3:confused3:confused3

Yep you got lucky because of the rain. Jealous!

OP If you want to cancel, I hope you get your money back and are satisfied.

To anyone else on the fence, there are people who did not have good experiences in these early parties. Last year was bad for early parties too.

As I said on another thread - we went the same date, 10/26, in both 2014 and 2017. We did not notice an increase in crowds for our two parties. The lines for characters were very long (in 2014 and 2017).
Unlike other posters, the only lengthy waits for rides we found was for Haunted Mansion - 25 minutes or so and I think Mine Train, which we did not go on. The other rides were all under 10 minute waits. Especially during parades.

In 2014 we watched the second parade over in Frontierland, and yes, by the time the parade started it was 3-4 rows deep.

In 2017 we watched on Main Street and had a spot on the curb right in front of Starbucks - got there about 20 minutes ahead of time.

The walkways were only crowded on Main Street and in Fantasyland - but Fantasyland walkways are always crowded in my opinion.

I don't remember the candy lines in 2014, but in 2017 they were non-existent. We breezed through the all, especially as the night went on.

Enjoy!!! :)

we went on halloween night (31st) in 2016, It was sold out and it was not bad at all. This board has bi-polar, Its either overblown or the best thing ever. My opinion, go and have fun. We are going on oct 12th this year and i have 0 concern over crowds

I think it’s all about expectation. We went to a mvmcp last year- we carefully selected one of the “lowest” predicted crowd parties of the year. We wanted to meet 1-2 characters, ride a few rides, get some treats, see the parade.

For us, we were blown away by the crowds. It was a crush of humanity for the parade. Snack lines were 200-300 deep so we only did the egg nog. We did ok with non headliner rides. I had diligently researched here and other places a decent plan of attack, but ultimately failed.

It was a low point of the trip for us.

That said, if I had gone thinking it would be huge crowds, our experience perspective may have been different.

I may consider another party in the future, but definitely with some lessons learned.

No matter how much you research ahead of time, what really matters is how you and your companions will perceive their experience.

Go for the unique music, ambiance, entertainment- and if you have your expectations low in terms of crowd navigation, you may end up having an awesome time

I think it’s all about expectation. We went to a mvmcp last year- we carefully selected one of the “lowest” predicted crowd parties of the year. We wanted to meet 1-2 characters, ride a few rides, get some treats, see the parade.

For us, we were blown away by the crowds. It was a crush of humanity for the parade. Snack lines were 200-300 deep so we only did the egg nog. We did ok with non headliner rides. I had diligently researched here and other places a decent plan of attack, but ultimately failed.

It was a low point of the trip for us.

That said, if I had gone thinking it would be huge crowds, our experience perspective may have been different.

I may consider another party in the future, but definitely with some lessons learned.

No matter how much you research ahead of time, what really matters is how you and your companions will perceive their experience.

Go for the unique music, ambiance, entertainment- and if you have your expectations low in terms of crowd navigation, you may end up having an awesome time
Curious to know what date you went! That sucks it was a low point. How many were in your group if you don't mind me asking? I'm going to mvmcp this year. Excited for it, but also a bit nervous!

Curious to know what date you went! That sucks it was a low point. How many were in your group if you don't mind me asking? I'm going to mvmcp this year. Excited for it, but also a bit nervous!
It was Tues Nov 14, also a cast member night which may have increased crowds a bit. It was me, DH, and 6yo DD. We’ve been to Disney many times, but it was our first party. I really regret attempting the first parade- I knew ahead of time that the second parade is always less crowded, but wasn’t sure if DD could hang that late. Turns out we stayed until closing and she was thrilled to be up late, so we could have done the second parade after all. That alone may have helped a lot, honestly.

I needed to see Christmas Wishes, and I’m glad i did. Maybe we just made some rookie mistakes- although I was well researched ahead of time, it was still our first time learning what would work for us.

If you’re excited about it, definitely go!! Just don’t imagine yourself frolicking all over the MK- if you do end up having room to frolic, great, but my advice would be to picture a crowded night with some really cool stuff. Pick a few priorities and go with that. The official mvmcp thread here is pretty awesome and helpful.

Good luck and have fun!

It was Tues Nov 14, also a cast member night which may have increased crowds a bit. It was me, DH, and 6yo DD. We’ve been to Disney many times, but it was our first party. I really regret attempting the first parade- I knew ahead of time that the second parade is always less crowded, but wasn’t sure if DD could hang that late. Turns out we stayed until closing and she was thrilled to be up late, so we could have done the second parade after all. That alone may have helped a lot, honestly.

I needed to see Christmas Wishes, and I’m glad i did. Maybe we just made some rookie mistakes- although I was well researched ahead of time, it was still our first time learning what would work for us.

If you’re excited about it, definitely go!! Just don’t imagine yourself frolicking all over the MK- if you do end up having room to frolic, great, but my advice would be to picture a crowded night with some really cool stuff. Pick a few priorities and go with that. The official mvmcp thread here is pretty awesome and helpful.

Good luck and have fun!

Interesting, I've booked for the equivalent Tues this year (Nov 13). Do we know yet if it's a cast member night? We're also going to the MK that day (and it's supposed to be a low crowd day) so I think we'll do all the rides we want during the day, go back to our hotel and rest a bit and then go back to the party around 7 for a few rides & fireworks.

Interesting, I've booked for the equivalent Tues this year (Nov 13). Do we know yet if it's a cast member night? We're also going to the MK that day (and it's supposed to be a low crowd day) so I think we'll do all the rides we want during the day, go back to our hotel and rest a bit and then go back to the party around 7 for a few rides & fireworks.
I haven’t heard if it’s a CM night. Hope you have a great time!

PS. We are planning MK during the day there on Nov 13th too- see you there :)

You really need to try it for yourself then decide

If I let members on this board judge my trips they would be why are you wasting so much time and money

They say the deluxe dinnng is too much food and too expensive then they would say it’s really a waste if your staying club level. Some even say staying club level is a waste

But you know what it’s my trip and I’m going to do what I want and not care how others complain

I would wait and see how the parties are after Labor Day. The parties started while a lot of schools were still in summer. I think it will be more normal once parents have to take their kids out of school to go.

I remember going to the parties in the late 1990s and early 2000s, when ticket sales were capped at something like 5000- foolishly low. Those were the days! You could walk on everything, they took photos for free, there were multiple themed shows in addition to character meet and greets, and the rides were basically walk-ons. Disney has let the number of attendees creep upwards every year, so that now I don't think they cap ticket sales at all. Like everything else that has changed at Disney... it's all about revenue now. The only time we go to the parties anymore is if that's the only day on a short trip (only 3 or 4 days) that we can get to MK. We'll make that day our "rest" day, spend the day relaxing, and head into the party at 4pm, using it as our MK day.

I went to two parties this year - the August 24th and 28th and it did seem more crowded to me than the parties we went to (2 of them) in 2016. I don't know if it's cause they're August parties (those were late Sept/early Oct) or what exactly. The lines for candy were definitely a bit longer a slower - and I didn't do as many but still got a ton of candy. Waited in line for Jack and Sally (2.5-3 hours) - never did that before but that was def a long wait. However I'd gotten in line around 4:30 and was done by 7:30pm so missed very little party time. Had no issues getting a good spot for the fireworks and 2nd parade. I was watching a vlogger's video from the party on the 24th and the crowds do look like I remember them - and busier than other parties in my memory.

I definitely wouldn't cancel though - you can get a lot done (candy stops, a few rides, parade, fireworks, meet and greet depending on who). I also think I like the later Sept/Oct parties better because it actually feels a bit like Fall outside - lol! Late August and hot doesn't make me feel like Halloween. ;)

What I don’t get is people line up for these character meets 1.5-2 hrs before they are due to appear and then say “the line started moving and I was done 30 mins later so that was pretty fast”! NEWS FLASH- you were still in line for 2.5 to 3 hrs no matter how you slice it! A line, I might add that is only for for the party guests only, which only makes it worse because the day guests are not even factored in. But apparently that’s okay because it doesn’t cut in to the the “real party time”, Huh ? Factor into that one guest standing in line for whole families/groups while they go play and then show in time for pictures which makes the people behind them wait even longer. If they tried this in a ride line there would be complaints about being rude and discourteous to everyone else, wait a minute I have seen those complaints on these boards! You cannot have it both ways.

What I don’t get is people line up for these character meets 1.5-2 hrs before they are due to appear and then say “the line started moving and I was done 30 mins later so that was pretty fast”! NEWS FLASH- you were still in line for 2.5 to 3 hrs no matter how you slice it! A line, I might add that is only for for the party guests only, which only makes it worse because the day guests are not even factored in. But apparently that’s okay because it doesn’t cut in to the the “real party time”, Huh ? Factor into that one guest standing in line for whole families/groups while they go play and then show in time for pictures which makes the people behind them wait even longer. If they tried this in a ride line there would be complaints about being rude and discourteous to everyone else, wait a minute I have seen those complaints on these boards! You cannot have it both ways.

I don't know what this had to do in response to my post but ok - lol. I never said it was fast - I said that I was done with the line by 7:30pm which was 30 minutes after the party started so I used only 30 minutes of my party time. I was on a long trip so budgeting that much time in line that day was not a problem for me - I didn't care to be riding or doing anything else those hours. This is one reason I'd never waited at other parties to see J&S because I took shorter trips, sometimes using my party ticket as my park ticket so when I was able to get in at 4pm I wanted to do/ride things and not be waiting in a line.

So I don't know how you don't get that IF you do not want to spend the hours of the party in line - then getting in line before the party starts at a time when you can be done either before the party starts or soon after is the way to go. I'm not saying I'm happy about the line or waiting that long - been to 4+ MNSSHP parties and this is the only character meet I've done that I recall. But that's to do with Disney and not someone's decision to get in line or not - it is what it is for the moment. Disney could change it by moving the popular characters to an indoor space with multiple rooms so they can have multiple greets going on concurrently. As for the moment - if you want to meet a popular character without using as much party time - it's one way to do it.

As for people coming and going out of the lines - yes there was some of that because when you have families or anyone standing in line for 2+ hours they need to go to the restroom, get a drink, etc. I saw people coming and going from groups at times but for the most part everyone was in the line. I didn't mind people going to the bathroom or going to get popcorn or whatever and bringing things back for others. Everyone in line was friendly and chatting - I enjoyed talking to others. I don't care if a parent waited in line - especially with little kids. I got in line with the expectation it would be long, it was long, expectation fully met.

I already bought tickets for the October 9th MNSSHP. Based on the reports so far, I don't want to go[/QUOTE
EDIT: I read your date as Sept. 9. Sorry. I'll check Oct. 9.

Here is The Tim Tracker videos of this year. Sept 1, and Aug 18(1st night sold out and media event).

Here

And here.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter