MNSSHP cancellation?

We have a party scheduled for 9/9 and I was on the verge of cancelling after watching the DIS Unplugged where they said how bad it was. But instead of cancelling we decided to take our break around 4 and walk back to the Contemporary to freshen up and rest. We will head back to the party around 7. The way I see it, we will avoid the overlap crowds between 4 and 6 and since there are no FP during the party, we will tour with no stress and do what we want as we come to it. If we cannot get a good spot for the first parade then we will try the second one. If that one is still to crowded we will go hit some rides. Crowd level is what you make of it and we will go in expecting big crowds and tour accordingly. If we have light crowds then it's a bonus.

This is pretty much our plan too. For me, the parade and fireworks are worth the price of admission. The candy, rides and character meet and greets are all just icing on the cake.

I already bought tickets for the October 9th MNSSHP. Based on the reports so far, I don't want to go. Is there really no way to get a refund? Even this far in advance?
So I was one that went to the first party and was disappointed because of the crowds. With that said, it seems the parties have gotten better. If you can afford it, then I say go.

For what it's worth, my opinion on crowds from the 8/28 and 8/31 party is that they are noticeably higher than last year (roughly same dates last year), but still had an enjoyable time at both parties. If you're going expected an empty park like you see in the after hours event, then you will be disappointed. Candy lines were long, but moved quickly, so maybe 4 - 5 minutes total in each. Rides had wait times of a lower to moderate type crowd day, unless you ride during parade or fireworks, then they are very short. We got a spot for the 9:15 parade in Frontierland 30 minutes prior, it was pretty full up for first row at that point. Late parade is easier to get seating for. We don't really do much in the way of character meets, so I can't comment on length of waits there, but from what I've read, they seem pretty consistent with previous years.

I agree with all previous posts that suggest you take everything you read on social media with a grain of salt. First of all, you will almost always have 90% negative reviews and 10% positive because people are more likely to complain online than to share positive experiences. Plus, those that do complain tend to exaggerate quite a bit. Sure, you can pick up some useful info, but I would not base a decision to go or not go on what I read online exclusively.

I've done MNSSHP and MVMCP a few times and am doing it again, this time on Halloween. Super excited! Yes, it can be crowded, but we don't go to ride the rides. We plan to ride a couple, but mostly meet characters and see the parade/fireworks. I have not found it to be uncomfortably crowded, and I abhor crowds, will do anything to avoid them. The longer the night goes on, the less crowded it becomes. As others have said, it depends on your expectations. My main goals are to meet Moana, Jack and Sally, Jack Sparrow, and ride the HM, PotC. I am prepared to wait. I go for the special events, not the expectations of shorter waits or smaller crowds. Don't be dissuaded by reports of crowds, but have realistic expectations. If crowds scared me away, I wouldn't be at Disney World to start with, lol.

Just as much as these boards can be negative, there are just as many posts where WDW can do no wrong. We have been to 5-6 MNSSHP over the years (always around the same time) and I can honestly say that when we compared our trip 3-4 years ago to last year, we were able to accomplish twice as much back then. WDW does what all businesses would do, raise the $$ and allow more to attend until people stop coming, so I really cannot blame them. But, in the past it was advertised as having limited tickets available, now it's just listed as a special event, so you will have days that are very crowded. Plus; the people (I am guilty of this too) that go reguarly, have a totally different expectation/touring, and missing something do to crowds is not as big of a deal because we know we can do it the next time, so I sometimes forget how it was the first trips when we did try to get a lot done and got frustrated.
OP, if the $$ is not a deal breaker, I would still go. I am not going to say whether you will have a great time or not but you may.

OP, I hope you have decided to go.
We went to a late August party last year, may have even been the very first party, I can't remember now. Didn't love going that early but thankfully it wasn't as bad as it sounded like it was this year.
We went to the party on 9/3 this year.
The party on 9/3 was wonderful. There were little to no crowds anywhere. We didn't do any overlap time. We choose to arrive at 7:00 (for many reasons). Walked right through security, no wait. Walked right in turnstiles, no wait. Got wristbands, no wait. Walked in, routed through bypass. Stopped for couple of photos, waiting for 3, 4 families in front of us. Did as much trick or treating as we wanted with no waits at all, just non-stop walk through to get candy. Never waited more than 20 min for any ride, watched 2nd parade with no advance planning and caught final Hocus Pocus with only 15 min advance plan time (time between last parade and show).
We didn't meet any characters but the lines we saw ha short lines.
I really can't fathom a much slower/lower crowded party.
So I hope you haven't let the negative nancies that run rampant around this place scare you off. Or the negative nancy bloggers. I don't get what their motive is but they seem to get their jollies by focusing only on the negative. I can't stand to follow any of them myself. They annoy the stew out of me

We went last Friday in August and crowds were minimum we thought. We got there at 4 and got right in. We stayed till close and we both thought the time flied. Only regret was we missed the flaming pumpkin MS after dark. Got it during the daylight.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter