Midwest to ground all MD80's by the fall [MERGED]

For our return flight, they moved us from an 11am departure to a 9am departure because our original flight had a schedule change and was pushed back to 12:24pm. (We were able to move back to the 12:24 departure without a change fee b/c it was our original flight number)
We did opt to pay a change fee on our flight down to MCO so we could get a nonstop & a bonus of a more reasonable departure time - 8am instead of 6am (gasp!). We'll still arrive earlier b/c the new flight is nonstop. (assuming we don't get moved to a different flight, our flights are in Nov, so lots can change I guess)
I feel like I wrote that in an overly complicated way - hope it made sense :)

It all made perfect sense!! :thumbsup2

:hug: Thanks Inkmahm!

I still have until January, but I am an obsessive Disney planner. I originally booked an early nonstop departure so my DH, DD8 and I could enjoy an almost full day at AKV concierge for our arrival day! It may be the only time we get to book that category, so I wanted to have a nice "almost" full day. We arrive at 11:44am on AirTran versus 11:30am on Midwest - so should be able to get to the hotel by 1pm ish. :woohoo:

Just wanted to add my little scenario in here. I was booked at some awesome times for Dec. 2 -8 out of Omaha. Well they changed the departing flight so I would arrive 1.5 hours later, no big deal. The return flight, however, now leaves 7 hours earlier and gives me a 7 HOUR LAYOVER :mad: in milwaukee. Unfortunatley I booked through expedia so I am having trouble getting things taken care of. Last time I called they said nothing else was available that day but they couldn't get through to the airline, no surprise. I did get an email from midwest that said I could cancel so I am thinking about just doing that as long as I don't get penalized.

For those rebooking on Air Tran, I got notice already today that times for 2 of my 3 trips have changed! Air Tran seems to be adding non-stops to Orlando so look again if you couldn't find a time that you liked previously.

In my case, I didn't like the new earlier departure from MKE so I called and got both trips switched back to nonstops later in the day. You may like the new times though...

THANK YOU, Thank You, thank you Inkmahm for the heads up on the AirTran schedule changes today! :flower3:
For whatever reason, I'm not getting their emails, so I would have never known that they changed us. After reading the updates on this thread, I checked our itineraries online and yep - we were changed alright!!:mad:
Unfortunately their changes have really screwed us up!! The outbound flight for my family's ressie was only moved by 40 minutes - no biggie. However, the other reservation we had for my parents and sister was moved from 7:20am to 3:55pm (over 8 hours later)!! When I called to get them back traveling with us, they said the flight is sold out.:confused:

This whole situation can't get much worse....I spent all day yesterday trying to contact Midwest regarding our cancelled flights , requesting a refund, and rebooking with AirTran. Now today, my problems are even worse due to the schedule changes by AirTran.

I'm definitely NOT buying a lottery ticket anytime soon - my luck has run out!!!:upsidedow

THANK YOU, Thank You, thank you Inkmahm for the heads up on the AirTran schedule changes today! :flower3:
For whatever reason, I'm not getting their emails, so I would have never known that they changed us. After reading the updates on this thread, I checked our itineraries online and yep - we were changed alright!!:mad:
Unfortunately their changes have really screwed us up!! The outbound flight for my family's ressie was only moved by 40 minutes - no biggie. However, the other reservation we had for my parents and sister was moved from 7:20am to 3:55pm (over 8 hours later)!! When I called to get them back traveling with us, they said the flight is sold out.:confused:

This whole situation can't get much worse....I spent all day yesterday trying to contact Midwest regarding our cancelled flights , requesting a refund, and rebooking with AirTran. Now today, my problems are even worse due to the schedule changes by AirTran.

I'm definitely NOT buying a lottery ticket anytime soon - my luck has run out!!!:upsidedow

Oh my, that's horrible!! :hug:
I hope you can work everything out :flower3:

Anyone flying to MCO in September & had their flights changed by Airtran?
I know from reading recent posts, most of the flight changes were done to flights in November & later.

I just booked on 7/20 and already today there is 3 new nonstop flights to MCO & 2 new nonstop flights home to MKE. I really wanted an earlier flight to Disney, so I'm holding my breath & hopeing that Airtran moves us to an earlier flight out ;) :surfweb:

Don't give up hope. They moved us this afternoon for our Dec flight from the afternoon to 8 am and I moved us back to 3:55 pm because the 8 am doesn't work for us (I don't want to take the kids out of school that day.) All you need is someone like me who got moved to 3:55 pm and didn't want it and then there's room for your parents to switch back. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to what the AirTran computer does.

Anyone flying to MCO in September & had their flights changed by Airtran?
I know from reading recent posts, most of the flight changes were done to flights in November & later.

I just booked on 7/20 and already today there is 3 new nonstop flights to MCO & 2 new nonstop flights home to MKE. I really wanted an earlier flight to Disney, so I'm holding my breath & hopeing that Airtran moves us to an earlier flight out ;) :surfweb:

My flights that were changed today were December and March. I think they've changed the September schedule to add flights too, though, haven't they? Especially since Midwest dropped ALL Florida flights for most of Sept.

We are flying 9-22 to 9-30. We chose the only nonstop each way. We booked Sunday. There haven't been any additional nonstop flights added our travel dates. I wonder if they add them will they let us switch at no charge? I'd like to return a little later than leaving Orlando at 11:30.

:hug: Thanks Inkmahm!

I still have until January, but I am an obsessive Disney planner. I originally booked an early nonstop departure so my DH, DD8 and I could enjoy an almost full day at AKV concierge for our arrival day! It may be the only time we get to book that category, so I wanted to have a nice "almost" full day. We arrive at 11:44am on AirTran versus 11:30am on Midwest - so should be able to get to the hotel by 1pm ish. :woohoo:
You'll love AKV concierge! We'll be there again in March. Unfortunately, I'm flying late in the day because I'm trying to get a day's worth of work in first.

We are flying 9-22 to 9-30. We chose the only nonstop each way. We booked Sunday. There haven't been any additional nonstop flights added our travel dates. I wonder if they add them will they let us switch at no charge? I'd like to return a little later than leaving Orlando at 11:30.
I think you only get to switch at no charge if Air Tran switches you first. Then you can call them and say no, thanks. Please put me on XX flight instead.

I had to do that TWICE yesterday for our Dec 2nd flight, but I started with a nonstop flight in the first place and they just changed it to the earlier nonstop flights. I had to call twice to have them change it back to the latest one.

I think you only get to switch at no charge if Air Tran switches you first. Then you can call them and say no, thanks. Please put me on XX flight instead.

AirTran changed our Arrival flight, but not our Departure flight. Now that they have some additional/better Departure times, do you think I can get our Departure flight changed at no cost?

Anything is possible, but there is no policy that would allow for that.

AirTran changed our Arrival flight, but not our Departure flight. Now that they have some additional/better Departure times, do you think I can get our Departure flight changed at no cost?

I doubt it but you can ask. I'd expect them to change only the flight that they changed first for free. If they make no changes first, then if you ask for a change you probably have to pay the change fee.

I know that at least Inkmahm has seen some (all?) of her refunds credited to the appropriate accounts.

Has anyone else seen them actually show up on your credit card accounts yet?

Just asking b/c I'm hoping that one of our refunds might show up before our billing cycle ends in a couple of days & it would be nice if the credit was there to offset the new flights we booked. But, I know Midwest is probably overloaded with refunds to process, so it could be a while.

If you did see a refund credited, can you post how long it took from the request until it showed up (approx)? Thanks.

(Our requests were made Sunday & Tuesday & nothing has shown up yet.)

I know that at least Inkmahm has seen some (all?) of her refunds credited to the appropriate accounts.

Has anyone else seen them actually show up on your credit card accounts yet?

Just asking b/c I'm hoping that one of our refunds might show up before our billing cycle ends in a couple of days & it would be nice if the credit was there to offset the new flights we booked. But, I know Midwest is probably overloaded with refunds to process, so it could be a while.

If you did see a refund credited, can you post how long it took from the request until it showed up (approx)? Thanks.

(Our requests were made Sunday & Tuesday & nothing has shown up yet.)

Nope, still nothing back in my bank account (I paid with my Visa Check Card, so it was treated as a credit card transaction). And I requested my refund on Monday morning.

On top of that, they told me to email a request for a refund on the trip insurance (I bought throught Midwest) and they have yet to respond to my email. And I've sent a few, with no return acknowledgement to date.

I have also received my refund.

Note: flights were in December booked back in Feb.
I called in Sunday mid-morning after about 1 hour in the phone queue and was told that refunds could take up to 60 days or 2 billing cycles.

The credit came through to Discover on Sunday although I first saw it online Monday. As disappointed as I am about the upheaval and dismantling of my preferred airline, I am glad that the resolution occurred without too much of a fight.

Personally I would remain very nervous about any Midwest flight to FL until at least after they resume flying there in Oct.

I'm still waiting for my refund from Midwest too.
I paid with my Credit card and I keep checking online for my credit, but it's not there yet :confused3

I've noticed that when I go directly to Airtran's website & plug in my dates of travel I get 3 nonstops to MCO & 3 nonstops back to MKE. Now if I go to Kayak or Orbitz etc. It only gives me one nonstop to choose?:confused3
These extra 2 flights were added yesterday, but not showing up anywhere but Airtran's website?:confused3
Anyone know why?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter