Metal Detectors for All Guests?

scrappinginontario

I'm guessing with the recent reports of more people attempting to enter the parks with guns, (2 in the past week) it's only a matter of time before additional metal detectors are installed and all will be scanned...and personally, that's just fine with me.

I experienced it at Universal and to be honest bag check and security there actually took us less time then it did at Disney. There was no zipping and unzipping. You put the bag on the scanner belt and walked through the detector and by the time you had walked through your bag was already checked and off you went. Same with no bag line. Take our any metal, drop it in basket, walk through, pick up items and off you go. Of course they have a ton of metal detectors and scanners and I imagine Disney would find it as "ruining the show".

Security changes up how they scan all the time and there are days that everyone is going though, there is certain entrances like international gateway and AK that always scans no matter what. ak recently moved a smoking section near security and has someone that now stands in a spot that at first didn't hit me why they did it but it was a spot someone could pass something over to someone after security. they are doing a fine job and don't disagree that we'll start to see more.

Keep in mind, there is a lot more security than when you scan. your being watched and followed all day long if someone spots anything and it starts long before you get to the bag check. It doesn't start and end with that bag check. i've caught the security team you can't tell aren't visitors taking an interest in my when I do my nyc speed walk to a smoking section every time. I'm very satisfied with what disney is doing already and why it's a crowded place i'm comfortable having my daughter at alone if she wants.

Security changes up how they scan all the time and there are days that everyone is going though, there is certain entrances like international gateway and AK that always scans no matter what. ak recently moved a smoking section near security and has someone that now stands in a spot that at first didn't hit me why they did it but it was a spot someone could pass something over to someone after security. they are doing a fine job and don't disagree that we'll start to see more.

Keep in mind, there is a lot more security than when you scan. your being watched and followed all day long if someone spots anything and it starts long before you get to the bag check. It doesn't start and end with that bag check. i've caught the security team you can't tell aren't visitors taking an interest in my when I do my nyc speed walk to a smoking section every time. I'm very satisfied with what disney is doing already and why it's a crowded place i'm comfortable having my daughter at alone if she wants.

I think everyone here knows it doesn't stop and end at bag check but that doesn't mean that they can't do just a tiny bit more. I know even metal detectors won't stop a real psycho because they would know exactly what they need to in order to get around that or would just do it before the security plaza but still I don't think it is too much to ask or at minimum discuss how it would work.

I experienced it at Universal and to be honest bag check and security there actually took us less time then it did at Disney. There was no zipping and unzipping. You put the bag on the scanner belt and walked through the detector and by the time you had walked through your bag was already checked and off you went. Same with no bag line. Take our any metal, drop it in basket, walk through, pick up items and off you go. Of course they have a ton of metal detectors and scanners and I imagine Disney would find it as "ruining the show".
I agree that Universal does a better job at this. If they are going to have metal detectors at Disney everyone should go through. I think it's more a combination of space and money more even than "show"

I agree that Universal does a better job at this. If they are going to have metal detectors at Disney everyone should go through. I think it's more a combination of space and money more even than "show"

I wonder if they could do it at the buses and the parking lots instead of at park entry. I believe DHS, DAK, and Epcot have more than enough space to have everyone scanned but then MK has a lack of space for that.

I wonder if they could do it at the buses and the parking lots instead of at park entry. I believe DHS, DAK, and Epcot have more than enough space to have everyone scanned but then MK has a lack of space for that.
I think they could do this at the TTC, then have a pair of metal detectors in each monorail stop so people from the resorts get scanned before boarding and also the walkway from Contempo to MK.

and personally, that's just fine with me.

I have a problem with it, not so much from the security standpoint, but from how I suspect that Disney would implement it. With Disney's current cost cutting philosophy, i'm afraid they would take the cheap way out, and voila, you are waiting in line at security for two hours at a stretch.

I'd have no problem with it whatsoever. I think it's a bit dramatic to say you'd be waiting in line for "two hours". Even at Hartsfield Airport, one of the busiest in the country, the wait isn't that long. I don't see it causing any real delays.

Personally, I'm very anti gun anyway, so I'm all for it.

I think it's a bit dramatic to say you'd be waiting in line for "two hours".

I don't remember the exact times, but there were folks at WDW who reported extremely long wait times this past summer when everyone was being run through metal detectors after bag checks. This was before the August slowdowns hit.

And FWIW, i've had very long wait times at security at medium and large sized airports when I used to fly a lot for work.

Its all about how Disney would implement security.

I'm guessing with the recent reports of more people attempting to enter the parks with guns, (2 in the past week) it's only a matter of time before additional metal detectors are installed and all will be scanned...and personally, that's just fine with me.
I will say based on what I have heard (prior to these incidents) we are going to see changes to security at the front of parks. Especially MK...

I think they could do this at the TTC, then have a pair of metal detectors in each monorail stop so people from the resorts get scanned before boarding and also the walkway from Contempo to MK.
This is exactly what is likely going to happen. security points at each monorail resort, TTC, and the bus stop at MK.

Sea World and Universal make everyone go through metal detectors. Universal has it down pat. It goes quickly and bags go through a machine for scanning. Sea World's was a little slower because bags are hand inspected. I'm not opposed to extra security as long as they streamline it and it goes fast.

Reality check.

Your not safe, you never were.

And no amount of security will deter a serious attack. Sad , I know, but its mental illness driving these attacks for the most part, and determined mentally ill prople will find a way.

Try not to think about it. At the same time, be aware of your surroundings.

I'll just say I doubt that it's more than in the past. It's just getting more attention. It's certainly happened before, before the metal detectors were in place too.

The 2nd woman had the gun in her bag. If bag check hadn't found it (which, face it, is totally possible), she would have walked into the park with it. AFAIK, they aren't sending the backpacks and such through the metal detectors - just people. At least, that's what I last recall hearing.

Metal Detectors for everyone are far from a sure thing. All you have to do is look at TSA for that. There's a lot more "thorough" screening there than happens at WDW gates, and yet they still miss a LOT of banned items - including firearms. (2015 study on that here). I trust the behind the scenes security that we don't ever see and don't know about at WDW a heck of a lot more than I trust metal detectors.

I will say based on what I have heard (prior to these incidents) we are going to see changes to security at the front of parks. Especially MK...

They have to be very careful with what they do at MK. At all the parks really, but especially at MK. That is such a bottleneck area - if you make it slow down at all, especially during the level 10 crowd days, you're now making the area before security a huge target in and of itself.

They have to be very careful with what they do at MK. At all the parks really, but especially at MK. That is such a bottleneck area - if you make it slow down at all, especially during the level 10 crowd days, you're now making the area before security a huge target in and of itself.
This is why they would get rid of the bottleneck in front of the train station and spread it out.

This is why they would get rid of the bottleneck in front of the train station and spread it out.
All of the front of MK is a bottleneck...the whole area leading down to the buses and everything. There's not much they can do to change the geography...it's just a natural bottleneck.

All of the front of MK is a bottleneck...the whole area leading down to the buses and everything. There's not much they can do to change the geography...it's just a natural bottleneck.
true but removing the security points should help things flow better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter