• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

medication in their original containers?

warrenz1963

Mouseketeer
Just now reading on the DCL website that medication should be in original containers for embarkation. I take many medications, and typically use daily pill separators to keep them in order. I was hoping to just use those for the cruise. Do I really have to bring all of the pill bottles with me?

Never have, only use the daily separators including on the 2 week PC cruises and it has never been an issue. We do carry a list of what meds/doses we are taking including supplements.

In reality it is unlikely anybody would check. However, just be aware that you are leaving the country and pretty much every country has that requirement to carry prescription meds in a properly labeled container. So if they have reason to check your bag, it potentially could be a legal issue, posdibly in a foreign country.

In reality it is unlikely anybody would check. However, just be aware that you are leaving the country and pretty much every country has that requirement to carry prescription meds in a properly labeled container. So if they have reason to check your bag, it potentially could be a legal issue, posdibly in a foreign country.
Yes, very unlikely. But it has been a rule with airline security and cruises for as long as I can remember. So it is a rule that generally is overlooked.

I never use the original container either. However, I have seen people on these boards mention that Canada is strict. Don’t know. Haven’t tried yet.

sw
I never use the original container either. However, I have seen people on these boards mention that Canada is strict. Don’t know. Haven’t tried yet.
3 DCL Alaska out of Vancouver and never even had to open my carry-on at the border when using the bus from Seattle. All meds in the daily seperators.

sw

3 DCL Alaska out of Vancouver and never even had to open my carry-on at the border when using the bus from Seattle. All meds in the daily seperators.
Maybe it’s customs at the airport. Land and air travel supposedly differ a bit in Canada.

I have not seen it mentioned here, but it has been a hot topic on other cruise line forums recently........marijuana. It is still an illegal drug under FEDERAL law and a prescription for marijuana is not recognized under federal law or by cruise ships. I guess Carnival has made a point to reminding guests that it is not legal on ships, and in many of their ports of call.

I have not seen it mentioned here, but it has been a hot topic on other cruise line forums recently........marijuana. It is still an illegal drug under FEDERAL law and a prescription for marijuana is not recognized under federal law or by cruise ships. I guess Carnival has made a point to reminding guests that it is not legal on ships, and in many of their ports of call.
You certainly can't take it through any TSA checkpoint or across any border. Even taking it across state lines is a federal crime.

That said, my wife uses pill separators and hasn't had any issues taking her medications with her. She used to put them all into individual pill bags and peel the label off the original container and put it on the bag. She has stopped doing that.

Whenever I travel, I use the pill boxes also, unless it's just a couple of things, just easier spacewise. However, I do take a picture of each pill bottle, that has the my name, drug name, dosage, and prescription clearly visible, in case I am questioned. Non prescription stuff, I still take photo also with my phone, so I have it.

Whenever I travel, I use the pill boxes also, unless it's just a couple of things, just easier spacewise. However, I do take a picture of each pill bottle, that has the my name, drug name, dosage, and prescription clearly visible, in case I am questioned. Non prescription stuff, I still take photo also with my phone, so I have it.
This is a good idea. For my prescriptions, I carry the information sheets I get from the pharmacy, which have all of that information, don’t take up much space, and are easy to access even if my phone is off. I don’t worry as much about nonprescription medicine because I could just discard it if it’s a problem, but I may start taking pictures of packages I don’t bring with me, just in case I need to explain them.

We’re going on a European cruise is summer and I researched all the countries we‘re going to. They all require original bottles for CONTROLLED meds. So, I plan on pill separators except for the controlled ones.

They all require original bottles for CONTROLLED meds.

Concur .... for most meds is not an issue but if you take any hard core pain killers you want that in original container or at least have a copy of the label and script ..... in case a drug dog hits on your bag . . . & don't carry significantly more then you reasonable expect to need . . .

I've been on more than three dozen cruises, and the only medication I keep in the original container with label attached is a controlled medication. I would think the app from my pharmacy would suffice for any others.
As usual--your mileage may vary, and DEA regulations require original containers.

We have traveled all over the world, including Oz, China, Japan, most of Europe and North America. Never had our medications questioned. We usually put them in little plastic bags, using one for each day.

I take a bunch of meds as well, and I usually put the bottles (just prescriptions, not supplements) in a one gallon ziploc bag with a list of each pill and dosage and my pill separator. Neven been questioned even when flying internationally.

I always use the original containers. Sure, it may be fine with the majority of security agents, but for my money it just isn't worth the risk. If the risk is low but the impact of the potential consequences is high, I don't take the risk.

DCL says medications in their original containers. Take that as a warning. Below is a summary letter from US Customs regarding traveling with medications requirements including what is needed if medications are not in their original container. Regardless of what anyone says regarding their experience of not using original containers it means nothing if you happen to be the person that US Customs decides to stop and check. An explanation of "I know others don't use original containers" will not be a valid excuse. It really comes down to your risk comfort level and understanding that should you get stopped by Customs and checked you should be prepared for whatever consequences that entails. All it takes is running into that one US Customs Agent that decides he/she is going to do random checks. Maybe it is someone who is having a bad day or maybe it is someone who is new to the job and is so eager to do well that they will follow all the customs rules "by the book".

While the letter below discusses traveling with medications it does not specifically mention cruises entering the US but I think it is implied the key is entering the US with medications regardless of the mode of travel.

From US Customs and Boarder Protection:

Title
Traveling with Medication
Summary
Date Published
12/28/2021 1:13 PM
Content

Prescription medications should be in their original containers with the doctor's prescription printed on the container. It is advised that you travel with no more than personal use quantities, a rule of thumb is no more than a 90 day supply. If your medications or devices are not in their original containers, you must have a copy of your prescription with you or a letter from your doctor. A valid prescription or doctors note is required on all medication entering the United States.
The U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) is responsible for pharmaceutical admissibility determinations. If you have any questions as to whether a specific pharmaceutical may be imported into the United States, visit the FDA's website, or call (301) 796-0356.
If you are traveling with medication and have questions about the airport checkpoint screening process, and other special circumstances, you may call the Transportation Security Administration (TSA), 72 hours prior at (855) 787-2227 on weekdays, 8 a.m. to 11 p.m. ET and weekends/holidays, 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET.

To learn what to expect on your next flight, view the video TSA Cares: Traveling with Medication | Transportation Security Administration.

For additional information about traveling with medication, visit FDA's web page on 5 Tips for Traveling to the U.S with Medications.

Article Number

This has come up a few times around here and most people usually chime in that they've never had a problem (me included - we also like the organizer thing). The only thing for which we take the original bottles is for controlled substances, which, thankfully for our family are only PRN meds so we just take the original bottles.

Here's a recent thread in which it was discussed if you're like some additional viewpoints: https://www.disboards.com/threads/bringing-medications-aboard.3871404/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter