May Med Magic - May 15 2010 - Meet thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
HI Jeff... just wanted to check if we need dollars on board...for tips for Palo etc...or anywhere?:confused3
You might want some single dollars or euros or pound notes or *somethign* to tip with for room service if you get it. I'm not sure if you can put room service tips on you KTTW card... And cash is certainly *easier* for that...

Sayhello

You might want some single dollars or euros or pound notes or *somethign* to tip with for room service if you get it. I'm not sure if you can put room service tips on you KTTW card... And cash is certainly *easier* for that...

Sayhello

You can use cash; however, with each room service delivery comes a receipt onto which you can put your tip and charge it to your ship account.

Edit: Speaking of gratuities, and someone asked about this before, I've seen a good bit of debate on the DIS boards about whether or not the $15/person charge at Palo is a gratuity or is a service charge for the upscale dining at Palo. I saw a recent thread that pointed to the link below on the DCL site that says Palo gratuity is included, implying that the $15/person charge is the gratuity. So, this might help people trying to figure out how to tip at Palo.

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faqs/onboard-services/gratuities/

You can use cash; however, with each room service delivery comes a receipt onto which you can put your tip and charge it to your ship account.

Edit: Speaking of gratuities, and someone asked about this before, I've seen a good bit of debate on the DIS boards about whether or not the $15/person charge at Palo is a gratuity or is a service charge for the upscale dining at Palo. I saw a recent thread that pointed to the link below on the DCL site that says Palo gratuity is included, implying that the $15/person charge is the gratuity. So, this might help people trying to figure out how to tip at Palo.

Thanks, Jeff! Both of those are good to know!

Sayhello

Rash, thanks for the prescription! I already have two more cruises booked. One of my Dis friends is trying to talk me into the Baltic cruise also but my husband keeps talking about this thing called work. Whatever that is...:lmao:

No problem for the rx! Apple a day is a load of c@&p:sick:

Met with our TA today and found that the euro is dropping faster than our presidents approval rating at a medical alliance meeting.:laughing. She advised traveling with a certain amount of euros on the front end so you don't get stuck at the airport paying ridiculous fees at the airport. We also made sure to call not only our credit card comp about our travel but also our bank since they will clamp down on ATM usage fast if not notified. I had a low ATM withdrawal limit that would have been trouble when it came time to pay for private excursions. We switched excursions in Tunis to the Disney bardo museum for kids b/c the drive to nabeul for pottery was 1.5 hours each way and I'm not trying that in north Africa, disney or no Disney.
Wife won't let me start to pack until tomorrow b/c she doesn't want the house cluttered. I need a drink:thumbsup2.
Just think, someone you don't know just unpacked their bags in your closet on the magic. The nerve of some people:rotfl2:
I wonder if the magic will show the prince of Persia on the ship since it releases on may 28th. Doubt it but they may show oceans which released on earth day!
See everyone soon and welcome all you new folks to the board!

I wonder if the magic will show the prince of Persia on the ship since it releases on may 28th. Doubt it but they may show oceans which released on earth day!

They're definitely showing Oceans...it's was the feature film on Naples/Movie Night on the 4/24 cruise and a 5/5 cruiser posted it was the same on their cruise.

It's true that according to DCL, gratuity is included at Palo but most people (including myself) give additional tips.

Met with our TA today and found that the euro is dropping faster than our presidents approval rating at a medical alliance meeting.:laughing. She advised traveling with a certain amount of euros on the front end so you don't get stuck at the airport paying ridiculous fees at the airport. We also made sure to call not only our credit card comp about our travel but also our bank since they will clamp down on ATM usage fast if not notified. I had a low ATM withdrawal limit that would have been trouble when it came time to pay for private excursions. We switched excursions in Tunis to the Disney bardo museum for kids b/c the drive to nabeul for pottery was 1.5 hours each way and I'm not trying that in north Africa, disney or no Disney.
Wife won't let me start to pack until tomorrow b/c she doesn't want the house cluttered. I need a drink:thumbsup2.
Just think, someone you don't know just unpacked their bags in your closet on the magic. The nerve of some people:rotfl2:

You are to funny :lmao::lmao::lmao::rotfl2:

I am sailing on the May 26 voyage but can answer one of your questions. The concierge told me that the Prince of Persia will debut on the Magic on May 28.

It's true that according to DCL, gratuity is included at Palo but most people (including myself) give additional tips.

I wasn't implying that one shouldn't consider an additional tip but I think it's important to know whether you're tipping from a base of $0 or $15. :)

Thought it might be a good idea to get a list of people that might be meeting at the Magic Fountain in Barcelona on May 14th.

If you are planning on meeting just send me a PM. If you also staying at the Eurostar Grand Marina we will be meeting at 7:30 PM in the lobby. Just make a note of it in the PM.

Sayhello (Eurostar)
Jeff Spencer
tripodjw(Eurostar)
Pixiedust519

Met with our TA today and found that the euro is dropping faster than our presidents approval rating at a medical alliance meeting.:laughing. She advised traveling with a certain amount of euros on the front end so you don't get stuck at the airport paying ridiculous fees at the airport.
I got some euros just *before* they started dropping. Oh, well, at least AAA didn't charge me a fee.
We also made sure to call not only our credit card comp about our travel but also our bank since they will clamp down on ATM usage fast if not notified. I had a low ATM withdrawal limit that would have been trouble when it came time to pay for private excursions.
I've called the credit card company, need to call the bank. I really want to check into getting a straight ATM card rather than the debit card, so if it gets stolen, it's harder for them to use. I did confirm that Capital One has no fees if you use their cards internationally, so I'll be using that one for everything but my onboard account.
We switched excursions in Tunis to the Disney bardo museum for kids b/c the drive to nabeul for pottery was 1.5 hours each way and I'm not trying that in north Africa, disney or no Disney.
Sounds like a smart move to me!
My house is starting to look a mess already! Oh, well, in a week, I won't care! :cool1:
What an interesting thought! ;):rotfl:
I heard not until May 28th...
Soooooooooooooooooooooooon!!!!! :yay::yay::dance3:

Sayhello

Just picked up a couple hundred in Euros for our pre-day in Barcelona. The cheapest rate around Boston was 1.4019 at Citizens Bank downtown so if DCL is selling at 1.4 then that is pretty reasonable. Travelex was like 1.65 or something crazy.

Also, I confirmed with DCL that we use can exchange traveler's checks for Euros. The said the only hurdle is that you have to cash the travelers checks with them (no charge) and then buy their Euros at the going rate.

Just picked up a couple hundred in Euros for our pre-day in Barcelona. The cheapest rate around Boston was 1.4019 at Citizens Bank downtown so if DCL is selling at 1.4 then that is pretty reasonable. Travelex was like 1.65 or something crazy.

Also, I confirmed with DCL that we use can exchange traveler's checks for Euros. The said the only hurdle is that you have to cash the travelers checks with them (no charge) and then buy their Euros at the going rate.

Bank of America currently has euros for 1.36
http://www.bankofamerica.com/foreigncurrency/

Keybank is at 3.7. I'm ordering some tomorrow for the trip. I'm really loving this decrease in the Euro.

Thought it might be a good idea to get a list of people that might be meeting at the Magic Fountain in Barcelona on May 14th.

If you are planning on meeting just send me a PM. If you also staying at the Eurostar Grand Marina we will be meeting at 7:30 PM in the lobby. Just make a note of it in the PM.

Sayhello (Eurostar)
Jeff Spencer
tripodjw(Eurostar)
Pixiedust519
We are planning to be at the Fountain Fri evening as well, we we make the connection in Atlanta. Don't wait for us to have fun but if we make it count us in on the fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter