• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

May 2017 Car Rental Thread

My prices for May 6-12 have recently gone up over double what I reserved for earlier using the AP rate and AD3868JST coupon. I checked using other codes and they are all way high right now for compact through full size cars. Is there a glitch with Alamo.com?

I doubt it. Its just the nature of how car rentals sometimes work. I also have a March trip (in addition to May) coming up in a few weeks and it was the same pattern. Booked something not so great many months out, then what was a $200 rental ballooned to over $450, now 3 weeks out its down to $120.

Its good you booked something and its good to check, but my prediction is you won't see significant drops until early April. Then you'll need to start checking pretty frequently and I'm quite sure you'll be satisfied with the result.

I doubt it. Its just the nature of how car rentals sometimes work. I also have a March trip (in addition to May) coming up in a few weeks and it was the same pattern. Booked something not so great many months out, then what was a $200 rental ballooned to over $450, now 3 weeks out its down to $120.

Its good you booked something and its good to check, but my prediction is you won't see significant drops until early April. Then you'll need to start checking pretty frequently and I'm quite sure you'll be satisfied with the result.

Thanks, this is starting to sound familiar. I always book early when I can and track prices along the way. My prices went down three times over the last 2 weeks by about $8 total each time and suddenly they jumped way back up. I have so much fun trying to save another $20 on a $2000 trip.

Decided I needed to switch my Alamo Standard SUV rental to a Minivan because mom is going to be with us on part of the trip. Last time I got a 7 seater Nissan Pathfinder as a Standard SUV from Alamo but since there is no guarantee and the minivan will probably work better (although less cool) I made a second reservation with Thrifty (at a better rate!)

Standard SUV May 6th - May 16th
1 week + 3 days
Picking up at MCO, Dropping off at RSW
AAA 3300130
All in $361.28

I still should get a free extra driver with the AAA discount through Thrifty. I was using the Costco rate for the free extra driver from Alamo. My Alamo rate was $408 for a standard SUV or $439 for a Minivan. I have not cancelled my Alamo reservation yet.

Am I going to miss skip the counter with Alamo? That is my biggest fear since I am traveling with an adult autistic child.

I just booked directly through Thrifty and they had some great deals for MCO. May 25 - June 3, minivan (Nissan Quest - it says it is a van), $244 all in.

May 1st thru May 7th - Dollar - 263.51 (that includes all taxes and fees) Midsize. It's gone up since I booked it. Alamo isn't any cheaper for me right now. I'll keep checking the websites - I figure Dollar usually does a 10% off as it gets closer that would save me a little.

I was hoping to get down to 200.00 but hate compact cars so I won't switch to one of those.

Decided I needed to switch my Alamo Standard SUV rental to a Minivan because mom is going to be with us on part of the trip. Last time I got a 7 seater Nissan Pathfinder as a Standard SUV from Alamo but since there is no guarantee and the minivan will probably work better (although less cool) I made a second reservation with Thrifty (at a better rate!)

1 week + 3 days
AAA 3300130
All in $361.28

I still should get a free extra driver with the AAA discount through Thrifty. I was using the Costco rate for the free extra driver from Alamo. My Alamo rate was $408 for a standard SUV or $439 for a Minivan. I have not cancelled my Alamo reservation yet.

Am I going to miss skip the counter with Alamo? That is my biggest fear since I am traveling with an adult autistic child.

The lines can be very long in the terminal, observed. when I've Priceline'd vehicles.

1 week + 3 days
AAA 3300130
All in $361.28

I think Thrifty has an online check-in program to speed up the process and I think if you are a Blue Chip member you can skip the counter. I'm still in process of researching for our April trip. However, Thrifty is much less than Alamo-currenlty have both and need to decide!

The lines can be very long in the terminal, observed. when I've Priceline'd vehicles.

I think Thrifty has an online check-in program to speed up the process and I think if you are a Blue Chip member you can skip the counter. I'm still in process of researching for our April trip. However, Thrifty is much less than Alamo-currenlty have both and need to decide!

Thanks for the replies. I did sign up for Thrifty's Blue Chip membership which allows you to skip the counter. I just do not see anywhere online where you can add the second driver info (free second driver with AAA). I think I am just going to break down and call. LOL

Just scored a mid size SUV for 174.68 flying into Sanford on 5/15 and leaving 5/22. I used AD3868JST and 15000(Disney Passholder)

So I just checked Alamo again and I still get $94.15 for a compact from May 17-22, using AD3868JST, AP Code and AS1 Product Code. I am listed as a resident of Canada and if I change that to USA the price jumps significantly (up to $140-something) and AS1 is no longer valid.

So I just checked Alamo again and I still get $94.15 for a compact from May 17-22, using AD3868JST, AP Code and AS1 Product Code. I am listed as a resident of Canada and if I change that to USA the price jumps significantly (up to $140-something) and AS1 is no longer valid.

Inputting the product code hasn't been working for me for some time

Are you A Canadian resident or a US resident booking thru the Alamo ca website?

After clearing cookies, and using the. Same Coupon & Corp code,, I'm seeing the exact same rate for my dates (after the conversion from CAD to US) via the CA website:confused3

Anybody else able to replicate?

Inputting the product code hasn't been working for me for some time

Are you A Canadian resident or a US resident booking thru the Alamo ca website?

After clearing cookies, and using the. Same Coupon & Corp code,, I'm seeing the exact same rate for my dates (after the conversion from CAD to US) via the CA website:confused3

Anybody else able to replicate?

I'm a Canadian in Canada and using alamo.com ...strange.

In signing up for Blue Chip with Thrifty do you have to still use the counter for your first rental? When we signed up for the Dollar program, they said the first rental after signing up had to be done at the counter.

In signing up for Blue Chip with Thrifty do you have to still use the counter for your first rental? When we signed up for the Dollar program, they said the first rental after signing up had to be done at the counter.

You might want to call Thrifty if not printed on your confirmation.

I signed up online for my own Dollar account associated to a January reservation @ MCO. DH has his own account. Went directly to kiosk in garage for my 'first' rental. Did have to show DL, CC, AAA card. Took a bit to process due to clerk not knowing how to process AAA benefits, but far quicker than main counter in terminal would've taken.

Good luck

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter