May 2017 Car Rental Thread

Never mind - I think my rates were only for CAD residents. Sorry!

Last edited:
New
Sorry for the confusion - the US budget site and the CAD one price things out differently and actually have different prices based on residency. Seems like rentals are cheaper when you are Canadian for some reason!

Rates for budget have dropped. $187 for a full size, $233 for Alamo full size. I need Alamo to drop just a bit more.

May 25-June 4
Hotwire (got Hertz)
$420 prepaid from Sanford airport (was only $350 from MCO)
7 passenger van
prepaid but fully refundable (which we had to do when we had to change our flights to SAN)

Dollar and Thrifty have both dropped for my dates. I got the Dollar Lock Low n Go with the AAA discount for $115 all in, May 10-18th.

Received email from Dollar with 20% off for two days. The discount can be found under the <Specials> tab on Dollar's site; it is the 20%-off flash sale (code 101211). May be worth a look. Came very close ($1 higher) to my Alamo rate that I reserved late February for my visit May 6-12.

Thanks! Brought my 5/9-5/16 FS down to $132.

Has anyone rented from Dollar recently? I was wondering what condition there cars are in (i.e. older, higher mileage, etc.)? We've only used Alamo, Budget and Avis.

thank you brought my rate down by another $45 :love1:

Currency: U.S. DOLLAR
Rate Code: RXHW8
Your Rate: 1 Week at $89.96 per week. Unlimited mileage. 2 Extra Days at $12.99 per day.
Discount: ($23.19)
Promo Code: 101210

Cust Facility Chrg: $12.50
Concession Fee Rec: $9.86
Florida Surcharge: $18.18
State Tax: $9.05
Energy Surcharge: $1.49
Vehicle License Fee: $4.41
Approximate Total: $148.24

In response to earlier posts regarding Southwest Airlines, my outbound flight to MCO just dropped in price.

For those of you still looking, at least for later in May, that can be flexible with car types, I'm seeing some decent rates (just under a base of $100/week) at Dollar with the 'Lock Low and go' rate. That's without any additional codes...I tried AAA and 'Silver' discounts, but they didn't yield any additional savings.

Personally, that still doesn't beat the Alamo compact I have at $118 all in , but its the closest I've seen in awhile.

I just re-booked a full size with Alamo using the Orlando Magic Card ID and coupon code AD3868JST. I am picking up and returning to RSW in Fort Myers, FL, renting Apr.29 to May 13 (2 weeks). My price a few weeks ago was $272 for 2 weeks using the Vegas Brazil code. Today my rate is $204!! I am Canadian. What a huge savings with the exchange rate so bad right now. I am so glad I checked today.

Thanks to all who have posted here, you have been a big help :) Even when my trip doesn't include Disney, I still check the DIS boards for all the helpful info on car rentals and flights.

I just re-booked a full size with Alamo using the Orlando Magic Card ID and coupon code AD3868JST. I am picking up and returning to RSW in Fort Myers, FL, renting Apr.29 to May 13 (2 weeks). My price a few weeks ago was $272 for 2 weeks using the Vegas Brazil code. Today my rate is $204!! I am Canadian. What a huge savings with the exchange rate so bad right now. I am so glad I checked today.

Thanks to all who have posted here, you have been a big help :) Even when my trip doesn't include Disney, I still check the DIS boards for all the helpful info on car rentals and flights.

I'm glad you got off that Vegas Brazil code. Personally, I never use a code that I can't show credentials for anyway, but Alamo at MCO has been pretty lax about checking those things, at least so far. That experience will vary by pickup location, so who knows how strict (or not) they are at RSW.

I've been checking and checking for our dates, but I think what I have is about the cheapest it will get. I have Costco and the $25 off code for May 2-9, midsize SUV for $163.

Anyone know what exactly they consider a midsize SUV besides the Nissan Rogue?

My price just keeps going up. Glad I booked when I did. May 6th-16th picking up at MCO returning to RSW. Minivan. $361 at Thrifty, $438 at Alamo. Thrifty has no minivans left. Alamo is up to $574.

May 14 for a week, want larger car for drive over from WDW to Port Canaveral. Assume rates will drop a bit between now & then. Rates include surcharge for FF miles.

Alamo-Fullsize/APH Corp Code/$25 coupon = $138

Dollar-Fullsize/thru Ebates -4% rebate/AAA Corp code-free spouse/$163

Decided to come down a day early - woot!

Alamo weekly rate stayed the same but another $20 for extra day, now $158

Dollar doubled when i tried to modify. Filled out the customer service form asking they handle it, curious to see if/what response i do get.

I'm just outside 2 weeks to go now. Alamo still hasn't come down, but I have a good rate with them I booked a couple of months ago. I am seeing drops at Dollar, especially with 'Lock low and go' (weekly rate of $97 base/ $144 total for May 17-22) using a AAA CDP code. That's still a little over $25 more than my Alamo compact rate, but its much better than what I've been seeing lately.

I locked in a few months ago with a good rate at Alamo [$219. for fullsize 12 day rental], but I must say the rates I am seeing now are the highest I've seen in awhile. My timeframe [late May into early June] has doubled, plus some, in price. :crazy2:

I locked in a few months ago with a good rate at Alamo [$219. for fullsize 12 day rental], but I must say the rates I am seeing now are the highest I've seen in awhile. My timeframe [late May into early June] has doubled, plus some, in price. :crazy2:
I haven't seen rates this high in years. I am questioning if less people are renting cars due to Magical Express therefore the rental companies have a smaller fleet of cars driving the prices up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter