Marriage: The Trip Report - Update 2/28 - Final Thoughts & Link to Disneyland TR!

The Flag Retreat is a really neat thing. My Dad did it once. Any Veteran can do it, at the start of your trip, just head over to City Hall and they'll let you know if they have any openings.

I love TSI! I can't wait to spend some time there again with my boys. I love how Henry was shooting all the bad guys from the fort.

It's always great when they stroller nap at the MK. The Main Street Bakery sounds like the perfect place to go during naptime.

Henry looks adorable in his pirate outfit.

Your last update looked so fun! I agree with you that space mountain is so dark that I won't put my hands up and I always feel like I am ducking for fear I will hit something. :rotfl:

People mover Rocks!

Your pictures of DL - awesome. I have to say that you have a wonderful way with pictures. It really entices the reader to want to visit the place you are writing about. DL looks so freaking cool.

I didn't realize you stayed in all three resorts. That's cool. Can't wait to hear all about it.

Brook said:
He started to pull on it...and MUCH to my amazement, it started to raise out of the stone!!!!
WTG Henry!!!!!:woohoo: That is awesome!!!! Juliana has pulled it out too!

Brook said:
During the parade when the float with Donald came by, some guy ran out into the parade and tried to GRAB Donald! Donald stepped back on the float just in time and gave the guy the "shame shame" finger and crossed his arms. A CM came out from nowhere and guided the guy back to the curb. It was crazy! Poor Donald!
That's nuts! :eek:

Brook said:
And finally we reached our destination! Today the very last shuttle returning to Kennedy Space Center was supposed to re-enter and you'd be able to hear the sonic booms from it, so we tried to find a quiet corner...
We were able to hear the boom... I did post about that in my TR but that was a while ago. :lmao:

~Looks like you guys had a great time on Tom Sawyer's island!

Brook said:
We met up with Joe after our rides and walked into Fantasyland and Henry fell asleep in the stroller. I took advantage of this moment and rode Snow White's Scary Adventures. I knew this ride would be leaving at some point (still unknown?)
Is it still there now? I thought it was already gone? :rotfl2:

~I'm glad you were able to watch the flag lowering ceremony. We have seen it before and it is really a nice ceremony.

Brook said:
After the show we rolled on out of the Magic Kingdom to go back to BLT for some relaxing before our dinner that night at Kona Cafe!
Oooooooooh, I wonder how your dinner was! popcorn::

The flag ceremony is beautiful. You got some great shots of it! Always brings tears to my eyes. I am forever grateful to the military. :lovestruc

He started to pull on it...and MUCH to my amazement, it started to raise out of the stone!!!!

That is so cool. :cool1: I'm so excited for Henry. Or should I say King Henry? I got all giddy when I read about it. Little things like that are what makes me love Disney so much.

I'm not looking forward to your TR coming to an end, but I want it to now because I want you to start your Disneyland TR. Your sneak peak is so cool. Love love that headboard with the lights and music and even the pillows. It's amazing how many things are different. Like I didn't know they still allowed you to ride in the front of the monorail.

And the sleeping lego man at legoland is the same as one that they use to have (or maybe still have) at the lego store at DTD.

So cool. Can't wait.

Brook, I loved the video! I was teary eyed the whole time. We have never seen that before. I am such a sucker for anything patriotic and have a HUGE soft spot for our military. Was the man in the wheelchair a vet? I assumed he was. I wonder how they find those people for the event. Do you know what time of day they did it and if it is done daily? I'd like to see it. I'll be a blubbering idiot, but I'd still like to see it.

Love the MK....and your update!! What I wouldnt give to be on that People Mover right now. Such a stressful day today, and that looked so relaxing:goodvibes And I think I have to go get something to eat now, as my stomach is growling from looking at all that delicious food:lmao:
I have never seen that flag ceremony. Must have been so special for that vetran (Im assuming) in the wheelchair. I would like to see it someday:lovestruc

I think grabbing something at the bakery and then taking a spin on the People Mover sounds pretty fantastic right now myself!! :thumbsup2

Yep, you did assume correctly - he was the veteran chosen that day. It really is a great ceremony if you happen to be in the area at the time, or for someone to participate in if you are traveling with a Vet.

That's kind of a bummer when the audience people chosen don't really play along. If they don, the show is so much funnier!

The photos of Joe and Henry and then you and Henry on the People Mover, are precious.

I also adore the Carousel of Progress. What a classic.

I also duck in Space Mountain. Always!!! :laughing:

Moseying down Main Street is the best. :goodvibes

I agree! It was ridiculous how much time they spent teasing him and trying to get him to do SOMETHING though - the entire audience was laughing....at him...and he was clueless! :rotfl:

I can't help but not duck on Space anymore! Even in Disneyland I did! I never did before the refurb at WDW....the extra dark freaks me out a bit!

It's funny you say that about the mural at Snow White because my dad was saying the same thing. It's sort of sad that building is just going to be destroyed. Hopefully they can save the murals.

Those blown glass ornaments are so cool! I sort of want one. haha!

Thanks for the video of the flag retreat ceremony...we've never seen it before but it does look neat.

I really hope they do too! I read they are actually going to keep the show building....so it may be a dark ride again at some point in the future (not Snow White)...but that was probably a year ago when I read that, so who knows! Have you read recent news that it will be destroyed?

It gives me chills and tears every time. So touching. ::yes::

Nice pictures of all the bakery goodies. A brownie with many nuts screams my name any time of day. :thumbsup2

It is a beautiful show. So well done. I'm glad they make it such a production!

The chocolate croissant is what teases me on a regular basis. The bakery next to my house makes them, but they just aren't nearly as good! (and that's a good thing! :laughing:)

A couple of spins on the PeopleMover and treats at Main Street Bakery, that sounds like my kind of afternoon and the Magic Kingdom!

I don't think I've ever been up in the train station, Franklin would love that vantage point for photos -- so thanks to you, it's going on our to-do list for March! :thumbsup2

The flag retreat ceremony looks very cool. Can't wait to hear about dinner at Kona, it's one of our faves!

It was a pretty awesome afternoon! I was happy to get nailed out the things we had missed until that point and we still had plenty of time and energy to just wander and enjoy.

Your welcome on the train station shot! I have seen fireworks pictures from there - they are beautiful! It's awesome with the crowds below and the whole Main Street. Hopefully the current giant bakery scrim will be down for your trip so the shots look even nicer!

I am glad you righted that wrong.:lmao:

:rolleyes1

Yes, something about boys and swords. We have more than our fair share in our house.

Love the last set of updates. TSI- That barrel bridge is tricky. I think Chris actually doubled back to help me. I had it under control, I was just going slow, too slow for him. :lmao: We have visited 'stables' on TSI

Pirate Henry had a great MK day. Yummy snacks, hot dogs and pulling the sword out. Pretty much perfect.

ETA: When the heck did I pass 5,000 posts??

I finally feel like a real DISer, I've ridden the Haunted Mansion (May) AND seen the Rope Drop show! :banana::laughing:

Congrats on the 5,000 posts!!!!

The Flag Retreat is a really neat thing. My Dad did it once. Any Veteran can do it, at the start of your trip, just head over to City Hall and they'll let you know if they have any openings.

That's awesome - what a wonderful thing for your whole family! Do you get to keep the flag? And I know the PhotoPass photographer takes a zillion shots. What an awesome memory!

I love TSI! I can't wait to spend some time there again with my boys. I love how Henry was shooting all the bad guys from the fort.

It's always great when they stroller nap at the MK. The Main Street Bakery sounds like the perfect place to go during naptime.

I agree! Love the stroller nap times! We usually hit the thrills and then wander. And at the current age, Henry has an opinion about EVERYTHING, so it's a nice break! :rolleyes1

Henry looks adorable in his pirate outfit.

Your last update looked so fun! I agree with you that space mountain is so dark that I won't put my hands up and I always feel like I am ducking for fear I will hit something. :rotfl:

People mover Rocks!

Your pictures of DL - awesome. I have to say that you have a wonderful way with pictures. It really entices the reader to want to visit the place you are writing about. DL looks so freaking cool.

I didn't realize you stayed in all three resorts. That's cool. Can't wait to hear all about it.

I'm glad I'm not alone in my ducking/fear on Space Mountain! I KNOW it is safe, otherwise it wouldn't be operating, but.....logic doesn't win out usually! :rotfl2:

Thank you on the compliment on the pictures! Joe took a LOT of our Disneyland ones since I knew the park better than he did and could guide us/direct us. Plus I think he has a better eye than I do, so I wanted really good shots! :laughing: I did the parade ones and a few others... Disneyland is AWESOME though...ahhhhh :cloud9:

We only stayed in two of the resorts, Paradise Pier and the Grand Californian Villas. I was able to tour the Disneyland Hotel as a TA, so I have lots of pictures of all three! :thumbsup2

WTG Henry!!!!!:woohoo: That is awesome!!!! Juliana has pulled it out too!

That's nuts! :eek:

We were able to hear the boom... I did post about that in my TR but that was a while ago. :lmao:

~Looks like you guys had a great time on Tom Sawyer's island!

Is it still there now? I thought it was already gone? :rotfl2:

~I'm glad you were able to watch the flag lowering ceremony. We have seen it before and it is really a nice ceremony.

Oooooooooh, I wonder how your dinner was! popcorn::

I do remember you guys hearing the booms....I'm just a tad behind in my report! :laughing:

Nope! Snow White is still there! I'm guessing it will stay until the 7 Dwarfs Train is just about to open...which isn't until 2013, so we will all get plenty more rides in!

Dinner - met some crazy guy, his cute wife and adorable little girl. :teeth:

The flag ceremony is beautiful. You got some great shots of it! Always brings tears to my eyes. I am forever grateful to the military. :lovestruc

Me too. I had tears streaming down my cheeks by the end of the show. I kept thinking about that Vet and what he has seen and done, and how he was likely forced to grow up quite quickly - all in sacrifice for our country.

Starting to cry again just thinking about it!

That is so cool. :cool1: I'm so excited for Henry. Or should I say King Henry? I got all giddy when I read about it. Little things like that are what makes me love Disney so much.

I agree! It's little touches of magic that really make a difference. :lovestruc

I'm not looking forward to your TR coming to an end, but I want it to now because I want you to start your Disneyland TR. Your sneak peak is so cool. Love love that headboard with the lights and music and even the pillows. It's amazing how many things are different. Like I didn't know they still allowed you to ride in the front of the monorail.

And the sleeping lego man at legoland is the same as one that they use to have (or maybe still have) at the lego store at DTD.

So cool. Can't wait.

I feel the same way about the TR! I hate to rush it, but I really want to get on to Disneyland because it's something new and different and so many people are curious! :goodvibes Disneyland is a whole different thing...yet so similar. I think they let people still sit in the front and back of the monorail because there are only 3 trains that run in a basic loop, so the danger for an accident is very slim. I'm REALLY glad I remembered they did that since we can't have that opportunity at WDW anymore. Henry really enjoyed it! (and so did we!)

I had no idea that guy was at DTD! In the store? I NEVER saw him! We'll have to hunt him out next time and see if he's still there. Did he snore? He does at LegoLand, it's funny!

Brook, I loved the video! I was teary eyed the whole time. We have never seen that before. I am such a sucker for anything patriotic and have a HUGE soft spot for our military. Was the man in the wheelchair a vet? I assumed he was. I wonder how they find those people for the event. Do you know what time of day they did it and if it is done daily? I'd like to see it. I'll be a blubbering idiot, but I'd still like to see it.

Yep, that was the Vet-the man in the wheelchair. The Flag Ceremony is done daily, at 5 PM. The Vets just go to City Hall and ask if there are any openings, and if there are, they can sign up for it. It's a wonderful ceremony and I was crying the entire time as well! I'm really glad they make such a production of it with the band and the Dapper Dan's, it really honors the Vet and the military. If you have the time, it's definitely worth seeing!

Loving the updates!!! We caught the flag ceremony on our last night in WDW while we were waiting for our adr at Tony's. It was so moving and I am glad we saw it.

We have yet to catch the full flag ceremony. The two time we ate at Tony's we caught parts of it. Hopefully we can catch the full show next month.

Lots of fun rides in this update! I hope to get one last ride on Snow Whites too.

Looking forward to diner. Never been there and we have an ADR next month.

I figured you might like that shot! :laughing: I think of you every.single.time. I do that kind of picture now! It worked great in Disneyland too! :thumbsup2

Aw shucks. :)

Is it just me or did you visit a lot of food establishments in this chapter? :laughing:

That's so funny that Henry was looking for the Carousel of Progress of Disneyland.

Another Awesome update. I just lover your pictures and the angels you take. Youtake those crooked ones on purpose and they look so cool .I take them on accident and they look like crap. :rotfl:

I had no idea that guy was at DTD! In the store? I NEVER saw him! We'll have to hunt him out next time and see if he's still there. Did he snore? He does at LegoLand, it's funny!

The last time that I actually have proof of the snoring man at DTD is in 1997. Before digital camera though, so I can't post a pic. But he did snore. I don't remember seeing him on any of our next trips which didn't start until we had DS, and took him for his first time in 2007. So maybe they moved him out to Cali and it's the same dude. That is unless anyone has seen the snoring lego man recently. I just remember thinking he was really cool.

I had a lot of updates to catch up on! :eek:

Glad you enjoyed Teppan Edo! Now I am craving it! LOL!

Such a shame you missed the opening show again!

Yeay for Henry trying Big Thunder! So brave!

Love all the empty MK pictures -- those are the best mornings!

Oh my goodness! I can't wait until your Disneyland trip report! I am in love just from the few pictures you posted -- especially of the teacups!

Henry is too funny with all his pirate gear. Connor has that same gun and it has gotten a lot of use over the years.

I was cracking up over his comment about the other kid not eating his vegetables.

I also rode "Snow white" once. I liked the art (the paintings and the scene) but did not care for the ride. Without replacing it they could have plused it. But then again, maybe the new ride will keep part of it inside? who know

yum! The bakery! One of the places my dad requested we go hehe

Isn't it the best thing in the world to be able to walk to your hotel from the mk?

:eek: You've been busy! I have a lot of catching up to do so my responses will come as I through the updates.

I love the F&G F Gift shop, I find everything in there so cute and charming! We don't even have a garden and I want everything in there. :rolleyes1

Yay for the teacup planters! They are very cute, its one of my favorite parts of F&G F too!

I really like that picture of Joe and Henry in France, great shot.

I also really like the picture of Henry with the Mickey and Minnie topiaries in America.

I don't really care for Disney pizza either, maybe its the spoiled Brooklynite in me but it really is very school cafeteria like.

LOL that other DISer for the Disney Junior dance party was me! We didn't make it cause we were running late at DTD.

The up slide!!! Very clever Henry.:thumbsup2

The tuna sensation looks delicious... something to add to my very long Disney to do list.

Aww! It was nice to meet you guys too! Yes, you are so correct about the Brooklyn, Queens thing. Every time I see your fb updates with some Manhattan activity, I think it would be nice to set up a play date. With my crazy schedule its hard to set up anything for Michael, thank goodness for daycare he has met most of his friends there.

What a great CM interaction at the POTC gift shop, it is all about the small things right?!

The imagination of little kids is amazing, how cute that for Henry everything was pirate related. He was very brave dueling with a "big boy" :laughing:

Oh those pictures of all the stuff at the Bakery... :cloud9:

Can't wait to read all about Disneyland!

All caught up, I think. Hope I remember a fraction of the things I wanted to comment on...

Henry has to be the cutest pirate ever!!! Love that he is getting to know the parks so well that he is askimg for things like CoP! Raising him right!!! :thumbsup2

SO cool that he pulled the sword from the stone!!!!

I haven't been out to see Tom Sawyer in years and years...I almost forget it is there. Might have to visit again in May. Having read the Kingdom Keepers, the island has new meaning to me. ;)

WOW! How have I never seen that "hidden area" by the theater on Main St??? Looks so pretty. Will look for that in May and also need to remember to go upstairs in the train station for that view!!

Looking forward to more, including DL! popcorn::

We left off heading out of the Magic Kingdom and back to BLT for a while before our dinner ADR at Kona.

1220598130_7Adbx-L.jpg

Love, love, love the short walk!

1220601451_zD9sa-L.jpg

1220602175_ixeSF-L.jpg

1220602967_ABo2y-L.jpg

1220605583_Sixx2-L.jpg

In the lobby

1220606615_9UofX-L.jpg

In the room we just relaxed, DISed, watched some TV. Eventually it was time to head over to the Poly. Tim (that's_nice) and I had been corresponding via text hoping our dinner times would match up...he should just be finishing up at 'Ohana as we were starting at Kona, so the plan was to meet somewhere in the Poly!

We had a short wait after we checked in and Henry perused the drink menu. :eek: :laughing:

1220608320_DzqCp-L.jpg

Just as we were seated Tim, his wife Melody and their beautiful daughter Juliana emerged from 'Ohana so we set our stuff down and then ditched our table...hoping our waitress would catch what was going on. And if she didn't, we'd might lose the table and have to wait a bit again. It was worth the risk! :goodvibes

1220610000_QjaYc-L.jpg

And...that's it for pictures! :sad2:

However, it was wonderful meeting Tim and his family. Mel was all glowing with her pregnancy...and the baby is now what, 6 months old?! I'm a little slow here in the TR land. :rotfl2:

We scurried back into the restaurant, and our waitress, Holly, had observed what was going on and held our table! :thumbsup2

Juliana had presented Henry with a bag o' goodies...which made me realize we had forgotten one for Juliana in our room. :headache: And...guess what? I still have the stuff. :rotfl: Tim, you will get it eventually. Probably in June. :teeth: Henry was more than eager to rip into that bag, and he proceeded to do so as soon as we got back to our table.

1220611674_QqS63-L.jpg

1220613180_YGfXS-L.jpg

Glowsticks!

1220613947_MxiqG-L.jpg

A puzzle!

1220614751_3ij7A-L.jpg

A ball!

1220616425_NqPAP-L.jpg

And the bag was decorated with a masterpiece from Ms. Juliana!

1220617152_QR39w-L.jpg

How cute is this?!!!!!

Henry instantly declared his love for Juliana (I don't think you were aware Tim that for about a week Henry fully intended to marry your daughter! :laughing:) and he showed off the bracelets. In a well-lit restaurant.

1220619037_V5EDu-L.jpg

Continued in next post

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter