March Break madness ~crowds, craziness and cocktails! A March '22 PTR! TR link 03/22

Yeah, it's going to be tough for my group to navigate the family politics around that. All the adults are double vexed and boosted, and the kids are double vaxxed (waiting on Canada to approve boosters for under 18s). But there is definitely a difference of opinion between various family members on the safety of eating indoors. If case counts are low enough, it shouldn't be a problem. But I will be disappointed if we end up deciding to cancel a bunch of ADRs because they are indoors.
Side note - maybe Kiddo can get a booster in Florida, since it's approved in the U.S.? I'm not sure if we'd want to risk the booster causing illness though.
We are doing a mix of indoor and outdoor dining. I have been tracking the case numbers through the Mayo clinic website and am feeling pretty confident that we will be in a very different place come March.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/coronavirus-covid-19/map/florida

Resort switch and pool day!

After a hectic two park day and late night the day before, we are planning on sleeping in and enjoying a relaxing day today. We are also switching resorts today and moving to Old Key West! So I am thinking we can keep our pool things in a bag, then check our luggage with bell services to transfer to OKW. We can lounge by the pool at Saratoga, enjoy poolside drinks and lunch and generally hang out in the Florida sunshine.

OR

We could go to Typhoon Lagoon if it is a really nice day! I LOVE Typhoon Lagoon so this could be a lot of fun. Lazy river, wave pool, raft rides, drinks etc. Hmmmm!

OR

What if it's raining? Or too cold to swim? How about a movie at AMC at Disney Springs? Bowling at Splittsville?

Dinner tonight is at Morimoto which was Bill's request. Our reservation is at 6:30 so we will be able to make our way there by boat after checking in at OKW. The restaurant looks beautiful inside and we are both sushi fiends so are definitely looking forward to trying it out. Have you dined at Morimoto? Any recommendations?

We went to Morimoto back in Dec 2020 because my husband had to have the A5 Wagyu beef. It was expensive, but worth it, according to him. They prepare it at your table, tell you how the chef wants you to eat it, AND you get a certificate about the cow you're about to eat (it's signed by Morimoto and you keep it). He still thinks about it and wants to fit it into our March trip, but there are so many new restaurants for us to try that I feel silly going back to one until we're done with that. We need to try it all before we go back for favorites! We're going to a different country in Epcot for dinner every night :D

He also got a bowl of ramen and loved that, too. I got the orange chicken because it's the only thing on the menu for lame people like me, and I liked it a lot (but I dunno about $30 orange chicken, haha). I also got a melon soda float and it was nice, but I don't think I'd get it again. I just wanted to see what all the fuss about melon soda was about!

All your plans look great so far. I love the idea of a progressive dinner and the fact that your planning some resort/water park days in there too. Really hoping we get to visit sometime soonish but flight prices are as scary as I've ever seen them and that's before I factor in disney's scary resort prices and upcharges so we shall see. I am getting a 4th jab tomorrow (didn't know that was a thing until the letter arrived but I'll take it), the other adults here are all triple jabbed and the 15 year old is double jabbed (no boosters for under 18s yet) so I kinda feel it would be safe to travel but ideally would like to see numbers fall a little and prices fall a lot ( a girl can dream) or at least to something that won't bankrupt the bank account :scared1: :rotfl:

We went to Morimoto back in Dec 2020 because my husband had to have the A5 Wagyu beef. It was expensive, but worth it, according to him. They prepare it at your table, tell you how the chef wants you to eat it, AND you get a certificate about the cow you're about to eat (it's signed by Morimoto and you keep it). He still thinks about it and wants to fit it into our March trip, but there are so many new restaurants for us to try that I feel silly going back to one until we're done with that. We need to try it all before we go back for favorites! We're going to a different country in Epcot for dinner every night :D
Thanks for the tips! My DH loves Wagyu as well. He ordered when we dined at V&A for our 20th and really enjoyed it. I hear you on trying new places....we are trying to do that this trip as well. My must do though is Geyser Point. It wouldn't be a Disney trip without a trip over there.
All your plans look great so far. I love the idea of a progressive dinner and the fact that your planning some resort/water park days in there too. Really hoping we get to visit sometime soonish but flight prices are as scary as I've ever seen them and that's before I factor in disney's scary resort prices and upcharges so we shall see. I am getting a 4th jab tomorrow (didn't know that was a thing until the letter arrived but I'll take it), the other adults here are all triple jabbed and the 15 year old is double jabbed (no boosters for under 18s yet) so I kinda feel it would be safe to travel but ideally would like to see numbers fall a little and prices fall a lot ( a girl can dream) or at least to something that won't bankrupt the bank account :scared1: :rotfl:
So great that you are all triple vaxxed (and you soon to be x4). No boosters here either for the under 18 set. Jack refuses to get a booster but the twins got theirs. The prices are SO high!!! We have the most convoluted flight down in March in the attempt to save a few dollars. And don't get me started on resort prices...I am thankful I was able to get into DVC when I did. Have you ever considered renting DVC points? I have noticed that point rental is about equivalent to a moderate for studios. Or a rental for a bigger villa might be worth it if the whole fam is coming over as they have a full kitchen and in suite laundry.

I have considered renting points but I’m wary that rules would change and we wouldn’t be able to travel and lose all our money as that’d be a disaster given that we stay for a minimum of 14 nights. I’m approaching all the usual annual check ups so will see how that goes and then decide things Wish me luck 🍀

I have considered renting points but I’m wary that rules would change and we wouldn’t be able to travel and lose all our money as that’d be a disaster given that we stay for a minimum of 14 nights. I’m approaching all the usual annual check ups so will see how that goes and then decide things Wish me luck 🍀
So much luck and pixie dust coming your way!!
🍀 :tink:🍀 :tink:

The restaurant looks beautiful inside and we are both sushi fiends so are definitely looking forward to trying it out. Have you dined at Morimoto? Any recommendations?
You must try the ribs!!!! You can get an app size or a full rack. They are AMAZING!!!! They are fried or something and have a crispy outside and the sauce has an asian twist on them. SOOOOO good. It is one of the things I dream of having again.

Dinner tonight is at Morimoto which was Bill's request. Our reservation is at 6:30 so we will be able to make our way there by boat after checking in at OKW. The restaurant looks beautiful inside and we are both sushi fiends so are definitely looking forward to trying it out. Have you dined at Morimoto? Any recommendations?

I have not been but have heard nothing but good things about Morimoto. Jealous again lol. Your day plans sound good no matter which option ends up happening!! I love Typhoon Lagoon...it's hard to imagine being warm in a waterpark right now with all the ice and snow I'm looking at outside right now!

You must try the ribs!!!! You can get an app size or a full rack. They are AMAZING!!!! They are fried or something and have a crispy outside and the sauce has an asian twist on them. SOOOOO good. It is one of the things I dream of having again.
Those sound delicious!!
I have not been but have heard nothing but good things about Morimoto. Jealous again lol. Your day plans sound good no matter which option ends up happening!! I love Typhoon Lagoon...it's hard to imagine being warm in a waterpark right now with all the ice and snow I'm looking at outside right now!
Right???? So much snow and the temperatures are brutal! When it got up to 3 degrees last week, I was on playground duty without a hat or mittens and said the weather felt balmy!

Really enjoying this PTR ! We are also Canadian DVC members heading back in March for our first trip in 2 years (we very luckily managed to sneak our March 2020 trip in somehow just before the world shut down!)

We have a lot of similar ADRs - I am excited too for Wine Bar George. We plan on doing less park time and more Poly time (my happy place). I’m also excited Typhoon is open again - usually that is closed the first week of March when we are there so we are definitely going to spend a day there !

I am a bit worried about being anxious .. coming fresh off a lockdown here in NB to being amongst thousands of people. But my husband has traveled extensively for work during the pandemic and he says it doesn’t take long to adjust your mindset to whatever the local situation is. This isn’t a political statement at all - just a worry I have!

What are your plans for the travel tests? I keep going from using a free option like BeeperMD or Walgreens, to shelling out the $$ for the Switch Health tests that you pack with you and do from your hotel room. But for my family of 4, that’s $600! I’m still hoping travel requirements might be eased by the time we go, though maybe I am dreaming …

Anyway…looking forward to reading more of your PTR!

What are your plans for the travel tests? I keep going from using a free option like BeeperMD or Walgreens, to shelling out the $$ for the Switch Health tests that you pack with you and do from your hotel room. But for my family of 4, that’s $600! I’m still hoping travel requirements might be eased by the time we go, though maybe I am dreaming …

We are heading to South Florida (sadly not Disney) in March too and I'm wondering about this also. I like the idea of "free" at Walgreens etc, but just worried it won't be as reliable as the expensive ones...

Really enjoying this PTR ! We are also Canadian DVC members heading back in March for our first trip in 2 years (we very luckily managed to sneak our March 2020 trip in somehow just before the world shut down!)
Thank you so much! Always nice to have other Canadians here!
We have a lot of similar ADRs - I am excited too for Wine Bar George. We plan on doing less park time and more Poly time (my happy place). I’m also excited Typhoon is open again - usually that is closed the first week of March when we are there so we are definitely going to spend a day there !
Mmmmmm, I am basically going to eat (and drink) all week!
I am a bit worried about being anxious .. coming fresh off a lockdown here in NB to being amongst thousands of people. But my husband has traveled extensively for work during the pandemic and he says it doesn’t take long to adjust your mindset to whatever the local situation is. This isn’t a political statement at all - just a worry I have!
Where are you in NB? I grew up in Charlottetown and went to university in Halifax. Have been in southern Ontario for almost 34 years but I go back to PEI every summer. My DH feels a bit anxious as well so I completely understand how you feel. I travelled to Disney last summer with our 21 year old son and while it did feel weird at first, you do really adapt to being around people again.
I am going with Curative as they are close to Old Key West where we will be staying when we need to test. I used Walgreens in the summer with no issues, although I had a rental car that trip.
Anyway…looking forward to reading more of your PTR!
Thank you! Lots more coming up!
We are heading to South Florida (sadly not Disney) in March too and I'm wondering about this also. I like the idea of "free" at Walgreens etc, but just worried it won't be as reliable as the expensive ones...
The Rapid ID now test at Walgreens is completely reliable. Just use your parent's place as the address and you are good to go. It is a NAAT which is accepted as a valid test by Health Canada. I had no issues with it this summer.

Speaking of brunch, we are SO excited to finally try Wine Bar George! I have been perusing the menu and am super interested in the burrata. Then it is going to be a toss up between the french toast or the eggs benedict. They both sound amazing!
You are so going to love WBG. Simple food done to perfection. If you can convince Bill to share you should definitely get both the burrata and the french toast. Seriously both are some of the best brunch dishes we've ever had. I normally don't love french toast but I could not stop eating this.

we may have a small nap/rest before heading back to Disney Springs for a progressive dinner. I thought this would be a fun thing to try and a good opportunity to check out some of the different bars.
How much fun!!!! Progressive dinners (or appetizer crawls as Jason and I affectionately call them) are my favorites. Miss the days of the child care centers when we could get 1 in each trip. But a few more years and Casey won't want anything to do with us, so crawls are back on

Jock Lindsays, Polite Pig and Amorettes are on the list so far. Are there other places you would recommend?
We didn't eat but had a drink at Enzo's Hideaway and it was a really cool place with great drinks. Boathouse also has a great outdoor bar that would be a good option.

The restaurant looks beautiful inside and we are both sushi fiends so are definitely looking forward to trying it out. Have you dined at Morimoto? Any recommendations?
Definitely the ribs!!! Unquestionably the best thing on their menu. We've also loved the BuriBop but another time we had it it wasn't great. If executed right its this amazing crunchy rice and yellowfin tuna served in a clay pot that is like 500 degrees. It's something Morimoto cooked on Iron Chef once so its got a fun pop culture connection too

We are also switching resorts today and moving to Old Key West!
Loved it there. But do ask for a closer room than where they might try to put you. It's a big resort.
Dinner tonight is at Morimoto which was Bill's request.
Nice! Loved the decor there.
Have you dined at Morimoto?
::yes::
Any recommendations
I have, but don't recall what I had! :laughing:

But can nevertheless recommend the ribs and the Buri-Bop.

Your Pre-trip report looks great! We will also be there in March (8-14) and also staying at SSR and having dinner at Morimoto, both for the first time. I am stalking Space 220 too! We had dinner their once and the wife and kids are begging me to find us a reservation! Following along to read more!

You are so going to love WBG. Simple food done to perfection. If you can convince Bill to share you should definitely get both the burrata and the french toast. Seriously both are some of the best brunch dishes we've ever had. I normally don't love french toast but I could not stop eating this.
Bill definitely knows he's sharing, lol! There are so many things I want to try and I only have so much room. :)
How much fun!!!! Progressive dinners (or appetizer crawls as Jason and I affectionately call them) are my favorites. Miss the days of the child care centers when we could get 1 in each trip. But a few more years and Casey won't want anything to do with us, so crawls are back on
I remember you and Jason doing this and shamelessly stole the idea from you two! Such a great way to check different places. I will add Enzo's Hideaway to the list!
Definitely the ribs!!! Unquestionably the best thing on their menu. We've also loved the BuriBop but another time we had it it wasn't great. If executed right its this amazing crunchy rice and yellowfin tuna served in a clay pot that is like 500 degrees. It's something Morimoto cooked on Iron Chef once so its got a fun pop culture connection too
The ribs do sound amazing. I love anything with a hoisin glaze so these sound great! The spider roll is definitely on my radar and I know Bill would love the Jyo sushi combo. If I could conquer my dislike of shrimp I would consider splitting the Toku-Jyo sushi platter with Bill. The ramen dishes look really good too.
Loved it there. But do ask for a closer room than where they might try to put you. It's a big resort.
It does look huge and very spread out. We were too late in our booking to be able to book close to the Hospitality House so I think my request is going to be for the Turtle Pond area.
Nice! Loved the decor there.
It looks really beautiful!
I have, but don't recall what I had! :laughing:

But can nevertheless recommend the ribs and the Buri-Bop.
You are now the 4th person to recommend the ribs....guess that means we are going to have to try them!
Your Pre-trip report looks great! We will also be there in March (8-14) and also staying at SSR and having dinner at Morimoto, both for the first time. I am stalking Space 220 too! We had dinner their once and the wife and kids are begging me to find us a reservation! Following along to read more!
Thank you for joining in! I have enjoyed your TRs. Good luck to you for Space 220, it looks so cool!

It does look huge and very spread out. We were too late in our booking to be able to book close to the Hospitality House so I think my request is going to be for the Turtle Pond area.
Meh.
We got there and they'd assigned us to a building that was somewhere across the State line in Georgia. I just asked if they had something closer and got building 64... a short walk to Hospitality House.
You are now the 4th person to recommend the ribs....guess that means we are going to have to try them!
Lemme know if they live up to the hype!

The Rapid ID now test at Walgreens is completely reliable. Just use your parent's place as the address and you are good to go. It is a NAAT which is accepted as a valid test by Health Canada. I had no issues with it this summer.

That's great!! I will check and see if it's available anywhere nearby!

You have to get the burrata at WBG it is divine!
Morimoto sticky ribs are so delicious
I love your plans so far
We are trying the extra hours in the evening for the first time in April. We are staying at WL, yay!
SSR is one place we have not stayed yet, I will be excited to hear your review. Now that Andi is older it really appeals to us with its proximity to DS!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter