March 2016 Pre Trip and Trip reports

I am sitting here trying to help DD with FP+.

During her time here with her high school marching band, the kids have a Youth Ticket number for her and this is less than a week before travel. Just got the ticket number today. So this is basically dumping kids into the park and letting them pick over the leftovers.

Then, kids being kids, its easy for two of them to synch up in a park on their fastpass times. But then there is a 3rd kid with their times and a 4th then DD's stress level goes up. First you take what you can get then choose modify to try to match up.

I told her i am out of it. I taught her the basics and now she has to work out her plans with her friends.

I am SO glad i am out of high screwel.

Bama Ed

Ps - now they want to link up their friends in MDE and have one of them doing the common scheduling and selection for all of them. This is like watching a cat rodeo in slow motion. :rotfl2:

Last edited:

Lokin, any luck with October yet? Is DW making plans?
Wellllll, There was a thread a couple days ago where Onlydisney posted she was canceling a Oct ressie from Oct 29th to Nov 5th. I replied to her thread asking if we could work together on her her cancellation. She was very happy to work with me she canceled at 3pm central time yesterday and I started calling 2 minutes later and proceeded to call 5 more time yesterday and 3 times today and checked countless times on the computer to no avail. I talked to 8 different operators and got several different theories on when cancellations get dumped backed in the system. Do you have any idea Ed? Through all this I did manage to get Oct 27 and 28th at a preferred site which is what I wanted and what Onlydisney was canceling! So I am still looking. :surfweb:

Dude, there is no rhyme or reason to the reservation system. My philosophy is "book early, make few changes".

Sorry i am worthless in this regard. :confused3

Bama Ed

Dude, there is no rhyme or reason to the reservation system. My philosophy is "book early, make few changes".

Sorry i am worthless in this regard. :confused3

Bama Ed

It was funny several of the operators I talked to were certain of the timing but yet they didn't match what the other operators said that they were sure of! The last lady I talked today said she has had a 3 way call before where one person is canceling and the other person is making the ressie all while talking to the operator.

Unfortunately, I have waited too late to order one.
Huh?

Mickey Lamps are all homemade, instructions are posted online. I have never seen any for sale. And being that the parts total almost 100 bucks, not surprising.
That's what I thought.

I follow them on FB you can pick them up at the Fort.
http://mouselamps.com
Then I saw the above and I was like WOW!

For $258? Well okay then. Parts are less than $100.

Capitalism at its finest.

Bama Ed
Then I saw Ed's Post, and I was like "AH!" and couldn't help but to laugh and agree with Ed about Capitalism.

I think all in all, I was able to find the parts for just over $100. I guess $238 isn't too bad if you aren't handy with tools, but I just can't see spending that much on a light that gets only minimal usage. After all, $238 is like 2 - 3 extra fort days, right?

Unfortunately, I have waited too late to order one.

You all are a hard bunch on the new girl!

When I first posted that I had waited too late...I thought you could only buy them on Etsy...and they say 4-6 week delivery. I leave home before that.
I guess we could make one, my DH is very handy, but he lacks the time right now. He's an insurance agent and La is kind of crazy right now with claims.
But, now I see that I can get them delivered at the Fort for a pretty steep price...so, what's a girl to do? You know just about everything we buy as consumers is marked up 100% over cost to the seller, this is marked up a little more than double, probably to compensate for labor...am I able to justify it? I will have to check it out on their website and see if they can even deliver it on set up day before I make my final decision.

Considering what I spend at Disney per year, this is just a drop in the bucket...lol.

My 44th B-Day is March 31, so maybe this is what I will ask my DH for:)

Oh I'd say we're pretty gentle because we've all been there. :fish:

My suggestion, since hubs is obviously busy with work, would be to order one for yourself and when he finds out, say "See what you got me for my birthday?". :cake:

Bama Ed

I hear you about not having the time. I too am pretty handy and I am working on another project (for Disney) but it too has hit the back burner.

I believe that you can have things shipped to the Fort. They will hold it until you arrive. Not sure what the overall policy for this is. Also don't know what the turnaround time is for the order to delivery of the lamp from the site listed above.

You are surely right that $238.00 is a drop in the bucket compared to what we spend on Disney. That said, however, not that we "Struggle" with paying for our trips, we just need to consider our expenses and the value.

I hope your DH will get you one for your trip. Truly I think it's a wonderful addition to any campsite, and if the value is there for you (after all time is money too), then go for it.

Either way have an awesome trip and have a wonderful 44th Birthday. I have spent 2 birthdays at the Fort and this year we will spend our Anniversary there.

This will be our 15th time to camp at the Fort since 2006! So, I think it's about time that I got a mickey lamp:) I admire them every time we go. We have even bought the globes to make one, just not the electrical parts yet. Who knows, my DH may need a distraction from work, and he might jump on the chance to make us one. Last trip, he made me a huge Mickey out of rope lighting to hang at our site for July 4th. Unfortunately, someone needed it more than me:( It was stolen from our site at another campground on the way home from the Fort last July.

Unfortunately, someone needed it more than me:( It was stolen from our site at another campground on the way home from the Fort last July.
While that Sucks :( I just hope that whomever owns now appreciates it despite the way they acquired it.

Try not to let those "Incidents" discourage you from having an Awesome time. :)

This will be our 15th time to camp at the Fort since 2006! So, I think it's about time that I got a mickey lamp:) I admire them every time we go. We have even bought the globes to make one, just not the electrical parts yet. Who knows, my DH may need a distraction from work, and he might jump on the chance to make us one. Last trip, he made me a huge Mickey out of rope lighting to hang at our site for July 4th. Unfortunately, someone needed it more than me:( It was stolen from our site at another campground on the way home from the Fort last July.

Sorry that someone stole your Mickey, that's really sucks!

When I first posted that I had waited too late...I thought you could only buy them on Etsy...and they say 4-6 week delivery. I leave home before that.
I guess we could make one, my DH is very handy, but he lacks the time right now. He's an insurance agent and La is kind of crazy right now with claims.
But, now I see that I can get them delivered at the Fort for a pretty steep price...so, what's a girl to do? You know just about everything we buy as consumers is marked up 100% over cost to the seller, this is marked up a little more than double, probably to compensate for labor...am I able to justify it? I will have to check it out on their website and see if they can even deliver it on set up day before I make my final decision.

Considering what I spend at Disney per year, this is just a drop in the bucket...lol.

Awesome, another March 31st Birthday. Enjoy your 44th, I will be celebrating my 46th. Have 3 friends here locally that are also born the same day, one of them the same year also. :bday:

$258!?

Built mine for $75. Plus, I made it a father / daughter moment where she helped me sand the milkcan base and also helped with the painting. She didn't even know what she was working on until it was done. Can't put a price on that one.

I also secure mine to the camper or to a tree. If you steal it you gonna have to earn it.

We have our Mickey lamp in a Christmas tree stand for now. I have the old milk can, just can't get motivated to sand and paint it. Maybe one day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter