March 2016 Pre Trip and Trip reports

$258!?

Built mine for $75. Plus, I made it a father / daughter moment where she helped me sand the milkcan base and also helped with the painting. She didn't even know what she was working on until it was done. Can't put a price on that one.

I also secure mine to the camper or to a tree. If you steal it you gonna have to earn it.

I like your idea! Make them work for the steal!

Would you folks believe that I actually woke up this morning and honestly the first thought in my head was, "I wonder if snowmedic has made it to the Fort yet". I'm sure he will give us an update in the fullness of time.

Bama Ed

Would you folks believe that I actually woke up this morning and honestly the first thought in my head was, "I wonder if snowmedic has made it to the Fort yet". I'm sure he will give us an update in the fullness of time.

Bama Ed
Wow..... You not only have the Fort on your mind but others going to the Fort too! No wonder you always have good advice, you seem to be constantly think "Fort". :cool1:

I hear you about not having the time. I too am pretty handy and I am working on another project (for Disney) but it too has hit the back burner.

I believe that you can have things shipped to the Fort. They will hold it until you arrive. Not sure what the overall policy for this is. Also don't know what the turnaround time is for the order to delivery of the lamp from the site listed above.

You are surely right that $238.00 is a drop in the bucket compared to what we spend on Disney. That said, however, not that we "Struggle" with paying for our trips, we just need to consider our expenses and the value.

I hope your DH will get you one for your trip. Truly I think it's a wonderful addition to any campsite, and if the value is there for you (after all time is money too), then go for it.

Either way have an awesome trip and have a wonderful 44th Birthday. I have spent 2 birthdays at the Fort and this year we will spend our Anniversary there.

Hey! We are celebrating our 15th anniversary there too this month!

I haven't started packing or buying food yet. I researched and my Suburban can carry 1,550 lbs which leaves me only about 300 lbs to put in the cargo space. I would never ever have thought of a weight limit on the car - we have always just stuffed to the gills and go! - but now that I KNOW...ignorance really is bliss:)

This weekend, we need to reinstall the countertop and cabinet top, put together the new tabletop with the base, and make an effort to maximize the storage in the popup for transporting. I have a dinner menu in my head. I need to figure out Easter baskets for the kids and pack clothes, make sure the linens are all there. I saw somewhere someone who had hinged their countertop so they could lift it and since we had to change out the original one due to damage, we put in a hinge to make it easier to find stuff and increase the ability to pack things in there. The doors in the front were too small for efficient parking.

One question - does anyone know of a good weather app? The weather looks like it will be gorgeous but we camp alot in the summer and I want an app that will notify me of severe weather conditions.

Ok, this is from my car today. I think Mother Nature forgot Spring here in Central Fl and went straight to summer :crazy2:. 92 degrees is not ideal camping weather. Hoping it cools down a tad bit for our trip next week.

IMG_20160315_164356330.jpg

More DD requests on the high school band front.

DD wanted to make a lunch ADR for her and her buddettes at their first Disney park they visit. Be advised that as a Youth Group with a Youth Group ticket they get a meal card each day in the parks that has $30 of credit on it as a part of the fee I pay to the school/travel agency/Disney. Of course by the time you add a drink, tax, and tip to said ADR meal, you are flirting very strongly with that $30 limit at a Table Service restaurant. I had planned to give her a set amount during her high school trip for souvenirs and if she wants to spend it on table service, that's part of the learning curve. She has some friends to round out a table so working around their FP+ times, I made an ADR for her. The $30 card is meant to cover 2 meals (ostensibly lunch and dinner) assuming they eat breakfast at their hotel each morning. I think that amount is adequate for 2 Counter Service meals in the parks. But she's a girl so I'm sure it won't stretch QUITE that far. <have I got that right, ladies?>

This is a test of her leadership/desire. She better have her group there so I don't get charged the cancellation fee or there will be hell to pay. This is part of her learning how to manage money as well. When it's gone, it's gone. It was a good enough message for her brothers on their past band trips, it should be good enough for her. :hippie:

Weather has improved here locally so it looks like I won't be leaving out in the rain Friday morning.

When in doubt throw everthing including the kitchen sink into the back of the Suburban. O lord, I hope I make it to Saturday morning when I check into the Fort.

Bama Ed

Happy camper! Have been trying to add a day to our ressie for a couple of days. Finally the day and site type became available today. A few minutes on the phone and we are all set. :cool1:Will be checking in on the 23rd. 8 days and counting.

Ed, I am watching along interestingly seeing how this goes...

An old Superbowl commercial comes to mind.

Tiggerdad,

With all the ladies in your house, i would say your time is coming. At least DW says DD is somewhat like me.

Two days. Tick tock.

Bama Ed

Quick update for now, then full update tonight. We made it to the Fort at 6:00 am Tuesday morning. Only one site in 1500 was checking out and we got it, at 1 pm. Now matter we are in 1516. Camp is all set up and we are heading out for swimming. More later.

Good Morning! Wow, this trip can't get here fast enough! I am envious of ya'll that get to go before me:)

I was successful yesterday on two changes to my reservation. I think I already posted that I was able to switch my first two nights from a preferred to a premium to match the rest of my ressie. Then yesterday afternoon, I decided to call and see if I could add a few nights to the end of our trip and BAM! They were available! :yay: I couldn't be happier. Although, I do feel a little guilty and really wish that I didn't. The guilt comes from the fact that my 9 yr old son will be missing a week of school just so we can stay longer at the Fort. I just feel that if we drive that far, then we should stay longer to justify the trip and we have annual passes and all too. Did any of you let your kids miss school for trips? I realize this may be a touchy subject for some and for that I apologize. One of his teachers is super supportive, she even sent me an email that there was no way she could teach:teacher: him in a classroom as much and what he will learn from us on the trip even if it's to Disney. Any way, if he was struggling in school, I sure wouldn't do it, but he makes really good grades and most kids at his school go on several trips per year too, so we aren't alone

Quick update for now, then full update tonight. We made it to the Fort at 6:00 am Tuesday morning. Only one site in 1500 was checking out and we got it, at 1 pm. Now matter we are in 1516. Camp is all set up and we are heading out for swimming. More later.

Vince,
Glad you guys made it in safe and sound. Looking forward to reading along. You be sure to tell Little Medic that Emily and Madison said hello.

Did any of you let your kids miss school for trips?

We home school our kids, so missing doesn't affect them that much. We vacation about 1 1/2 months, DW has it figured that with the vacationing, if they do there work during the regular schools breaks it works out about the same. Plus they learn more than sitting in a classroom.

Did any of you let your kids miss school for trips?

We 'always' took our three out of school whenever we wanted to go on trips. Made sure our kiddies were respectful, and had good relationships with their teachers all through til graduation. They were honor students and had no problems making up any work that couldn't be done earlier.

We kept good relationships with their teachers which made the requests easier also. Sure beat having to always wait til crowded summers and holidays, although we did do some vacationing during the summer at times - usually only took them out for one big trip during the school year, and maybe a few short ones.

Not sure where you live in LA, but a lot of our kid's school years were in Lafayette.

Although, I do feel a little guilty and really wish that I didn't. The guilt comes from the fact that my 9 yr old son will be missing a week of school just so we can stay longer at the Fort. I just feel that if we drive that far, then we should stay longer to justify the trip and we have annual passes and all too. Did any of you let your kids miss school for trips?

We had 3 kids and our approach was as long as they were all in elementary school or younger (K-5 grades) we would pull them out of school for a vacation. However, once the oldest hit middle school it put an end to that and we were trapped into the school calendar (spring break, Christmas break, Thanksgiving break). You'll see from my signature we have NEVER been to WDW in June, July, or August (by choice).

So if you look at my signature, that May 2006 trip was the last one we pulled the kids out of school for. Then as I said the oldest hit middle school and that option was gone (although now my youngest is a HS senior so we will soon be empty nesters).

Don't feel bad about pulling him out. It's precious family time you'll never get back.

Bama Ed

PS - as I said early in the thread my HS DD will miss 3 days of class with us but she is a superior student and her absence was pre-approved. Plus she does a lot of e-Learning in HS with her school-issued ChromeBook and Google Classroom so she will still be working on assignments while with us.

Last edited:
We made it to the Fort at 6:00 am Tuesday morning. Only one site in 1500 was checking out and we got it, at 1 pm.

That, ladies and gentlemen, is how you execute the arrival plan. I've seen in the April thread that other folks use the same strategy. Arrive as early as you can, offer to wait for your desired loop if it's not initially assigned to you, and be patient. If another family had arrived before snowmedic and asked for 1500, he would have been out of luck.

I'll be using this strategy too on Saturday.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
We just checked out of the 1500 loop today. We were in 1510. We live in Florida and it was so hot while we were at the fort. 90 is not March weather!! Love this site. Great info for newbies and seasoned campers.

As I said, we arrived at 6 am and got the loop we wanted by waiting for the occupants to check out and then be cleaned, so 1 pm is when we got our text with site number. While waiting we went to the settlement, and swimming. At about 11:30 we went to the overflow and made sandwiches for lunch. I was tired from driving, only had a 3 hr nap early Monday afternoon, so I was able to get some sleep in the car while waiting.

We set up our site and went for another swim and then headed down to the Springs. I had a margarita from dockside:drinking1 and DW had the frozen orange. DD had a Flamingo Frost from the smoothie stand. We got back to our site around 10 and went to sleep. We must had been tired cause we slept till 9! On vacation, that is not suppose to happen.

Today, Wednesday, had us getting up and heading over to Aquatica waterpark for the afternoon. DD must not of had enough of swimming, she wanted to go to the pool for awhile. While DW and DD went to the pool, I laid down for a nap, I think the Fl. heat is starting to get to me. We went back down to the Springs tonight, and had drinks again, watched some of the performers.

As I am typing this the EWP has started. Tomorrow is a Fort Day, I have not taken the camera with us at all at this point but will tomorrow. Got to get my post count up. It is 9:30 and we are headed off to bed for the night.

I love reading the trip reports. Glad you found somewhere to tent medic!! We are only 149 days to the next trip south!!!! Already we have started the planning. I know some have said oh man August, it is going to just roast you. But then I think about it, I live in the Mid Atlantic, known for heat and humidity. I work at a race track most weekends, when I am working I am in long pants and have a fire resistant coat I wear on some of the emergency calls (at least im short sleeve the rest of the time.) But we have also started planning our trip to make sure we do not stay past noon-1 at AK as its the hottest park in my opinion. I love reading the reports, keep them comming and share some photos!!! The race season starts this weekend and in drivers school fashion we have a threat of rain/snow mix for sunday. This is not uncommon for us, but that is what I love about Road Racing vs. Nascar style, we run in it all!!!

Thanks for all you your replies about the kids and school bit! I feel better!:flower:I should have known that my fellow Disney Fort folks would see it my way! We take them out twice per year for a few days each time, not a whole week. This time will be a whole week but at school, they are doing review for standardized testing, so I said to heck with it, and decided to book the whole week so we could get in 10 days at the Fort.

Bama Ed - I think it was me that posted on the April thread about getting to the Fort really early and waiting on our desired loop. It has worked about the last 10 times or so:) We usually stay the previous night in Ocala and get up super early or we stay in Clermont. But, we have arrived at overflow right after midnight too and just sit there.

Of course, last time, we requested the 1400 Loop, and once we got to our spot and got set up, I realized that I was unhappy there. It just wasn't the same as "my" other loops, being 400 or 800. LOL

My husband wanted to hurt me:) LOL, just kidding. We didn't have out much stuff at that point yet. Anyway, we stayed there two nights, then the morning following the 2nd night, I got up at day break and went to search us out another spot in 800. We still had 12 nights left, so I wanted to be happy. I found one in the 800 Loop and went to the front desk, ask if I could move and we did:) I was shocked there were so many spot available, it was July 4th week! It wasn't ever full that week even though they said they were at capacity. I think we seen the result of folks booking the Fort to just get the magic bands and staying off-site.

This time I have requested the 700 Loop. I have read on the boards that lots of folks like it, so I want to give it a try.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter