Marathon Weekend 2023

Doing everything I can to stick to my plan of a week to recover. I feel great and want to go for a run but did nothing yesterday and today, knowing that I’ve made that mistake before. Think I’ll take a walk tomorrow, maybe a couple miles, and still plan on returning to five days a week starting Monday.

anyone else starting to get twitchy about their recovery days? I'm still pretty tired (and have the cold that a lot of us seem to have taken home) but I really feel like I should be headed to the basement on getting on the treadmill today. My quads to no agree, but my brain is confused as to why we aren't doing much still.
I am also forcing myself to take a week off from running and it is HARD lol. Counting down the days until Sunday when I will try a short, easy run.

I did hop on my dad's ancient stationary bike for 20 minutes this morning and it was such a relief to get my HR up and break a sweat...guys, I think I might be addicted to exercise now 🤣

Doing everything I can to stick to my plan of a week to recover. I feel great and want to go for a run but did nothing yesterday and today, knowing that I’ve made that mistake before. Think I’ll take a walk tomorrow, maybe a couple miles, and still plan on returning to five days a week starting Monday.
@DopeyBadger can tell you much better than I can, but you should probably think about taking more than a week off for recovery if you ran the marathon.

Had to start the half from corral F since my DH and DD did not submit times and I don't know how y'all do it - that was awful! SO crowded, forced to walk multiple times because the roads were so crowded, and going through the castle we all came to a stop and it was a slow shuffle. No character photos as the lines were insane.
- Dear rD - please don't put a character 0.3 miles into the race - after standing around waiting to start for so long, I really don't want to stop that soon.
-Ran the full from my assigned corral B and the difference was night and day, able to get lots of character photos. Already looking for a race to get a new PoT - makes the whole experience much better!
I started from A for the 5k/10k and B for the half/full and every race was so different! Between stops I ran about an 11 minute pace for the 5k, a 10 minute pace for the 10k, and 11 minute pace for the half, and 11:30-12 for the full.

The lines at the 5k were so long (not really, but longer than 5 mins which is my max) so I only stopped for Chip and Dale and waited for 5 mins. It wasn’t crowded for me but it was probably the most crowding I experienced.

The 10k was noticeably less crowded to me and I waited 4-5 mins at five stops so definitely shorter than the 5k. This was my favorite course by far!

The half was a big difference in lines for me even though I ran a similar pace, the first few characters were ALWAYS long but by Jack Skellington I never waited more than 4 mins and the Epcot lines had maybe 5 people in them at the end. I had no trouble running through the castle with few people around me and no line for castle pics.

I was a bit slower for the full and boy did it feel like EVERYONE was passing me for the first five miles. I waited maybe two minutes for most photos other than four minutes for Pooh, I skipped Dopey as the line was crazy. But many characters especially in the second half I was only behind a few people. Going through the castle was slightly more crowded for me than the half but still very open to run and no wait for castle pics. I did progressively fall behind as I did Everest (8 mins) and tower of terror (18 minutes) as well as some walking from just before BB and beyond. The pace of the runners kept slowing as I went on, most people were walking by the Swan to Boardwalk and I was practically the only one running. There was JUST enough room for me to run still. Boy did it look congested at the AK switchback area, I had plenty of room leaving AK but it looked SO crowded going into AK. So being in a POT corral made a world of difference even though I wasn’t running that fast.

I’m now very motivated to beat my POT or at least get a newer one now.

Last edited:

I’m sitting at Tambu Lounge waiting for some food and reminiscing on the race. I think one of my favorite moments was running past the starting line again, when they were using the TVs to show the game-winning shot from The Mighty Ducks.

At least with my cohort, lots of people started whooping and cheering along when it went in. Millennials, unite!!

My legs feel pretty well recovered despite a full week of park days. Flying home tomorrow night and then figuring out what is next. I may drop down to HM distances for a while so I can focus on picking up my speed. W&D looks fun…

For me 90’s music was Depeche Mode, Erasure, Oingo Boingo, No Doubt, Red Hot Chili Pepers, REM, Everclear…. So MmmmBob was not high on my list! But funny was hearing Ice, Ice, Baby every race and at the expo. My roommate in college thought he was Vanilla Ice, I heard that song like 10 times a day until I started hiding his CD!😆🤣

I am taking 3 weeks off running. One for recovery and to more post a surgery I have to have on Monday. I had planned for a two week break, so adding the third is reasonable, I guess. Will be climbing the walls before it is over I am sure!

I’m sitting at Tambu Lounge waiting for some food and reminiscing on the race. I think one of my favorite moments was running past the starting line again, when they were using the TVs to show the game-winning shot from The Mighty Ducks.

At least with my cohort, lots of people started whooping and cheering along when it went in. Millennials, unite!!

My legs feel pretty well recovered despite a full week of park days. Flying home tomorrow night and then figuring out what is next. I may drop down to HM distances for a while so I can focus on picking up my speed. W&D looks fun…
The group around me cheered when Charlie made the shot as well! So much nostalgia. W&D is also looking to be my next runDisney adventure and I would love to get back to my old half marathon times which were well under 2:00.

My legs overall feel pretty good after Goofy last weekend but I injured the IT band in my left knee during the full marathon on Sunday so I am forcing myself to rest for at least another week so it can heal properly. Softball practices start for me next weekend so I’m hoping the IT band issue resolves itself soon.

There was a brief window today where the Springtime Surprise Challenge opened back up and I started to try to register and stopped myself. I’m definitely hooked!

Curious, for those who went home with a “cold,” did you test for covid? My poor hubs tested positive Monday night after we arrived back in CA. In his line of work he has to be ultra conscientious and can’t chalk up symptoms to just being a cold. I’ve had two negative tests so far and definitely hoping it stays that way.

It was our third and likely last Dopey as this time was brutal for my husband. Likely related to unknowingly running with covid. 😰🤦🏼‍♀️ After testing positive, he was looking at his Fenix 7 data and noticed the pulse ox readings had dropped into the 80s during the half and full. Selfishly, one of the benefits for me having stayed with him the entire weekend is that I had absolutely no soreness. Typically I take a decent amount of time off after a full/Dopey, but I ran an easy 4 mile recovery run yesterday morning and felt great. I’m thankful as my next half is in just over 3 weeks. 🫠

Marathon Weekend is such a fun time, but coming from California to do dopey is rough. Beyond thankful rD is coming back to DLR as we’ll likely cut our WDW run weekends way back and stay close to home. After years of being spoiled by the DLR rD races (rolling out of bed shortly before the start and walking to corrals), the WDW four early bus days in a row is just too much!

Back in December, my PT had told me to plan on taking 2-3 weeks off of running after the marathon and I’m happy to do that. The break has been nice.

If any of you are Peloton members, my favorite yoga instructor (Kristin) posted a list of classes for runners and I took a screenshot of that months ago, saving it for this week. I’ve been doing those for about 20 minutes per day, it feels really good to stretch stuff out.

I plan on getting back to lifting next week, adding in some spinning the week after, and after that maybe I’ll start working running back in.

I tested positive on Sat and didn’t run the marathon. There’s a Reddit thread right now with lots of ppl who have returned home sick, COVID or otherwise.
I have no tested positive at this point, and I've had sniffles for a few days now.

I'm pretty sure we had a discussion last year about the same sort of thing and there was talk about how marathons in general kind of sap your immune system and there's more of a tendency for your body to "get" something after a long endurance event because of how much you tax it.
There's so much crud going around where I live right now....flu, strep, upper respiratory virus crud, on top of our friend 'rona.

If any of you are Peloton members, my favorite yoga instructor (Kristin) posted a list of classes for runners and I took a screenshot of that months ago, saving it for this week. I’ve been doing those for about 20 minutes per day, it feels really good to stretch stuff out.
Do you mind sharing the screenshot? I love Kristin’s 10 minute yoga classes for post run stretches

Curious, for those who went home with a “cold,” did you test for covid? My poor hubs tested positive Monday night after we arrived back in CA. In his line of work he has to be ultra conscientious and can’t chalk up symptoms to just being a cold. I’ve had two negative tests so far and definitely hoping it stays that way.

It was our third and likely last Dopey as this time was brutal for my husband. Likely related to unknowingly running with covid. 😰🤦🏼‍♀️ After testing positive, he was looking at his Fenix 7 data and noticed the pulse ox readings had dropped into the 80s during the half and full. Selfishly, one of the benefits for me having stayed with him the entire weekend is that I had absolutely no soreness. Typically I take a decent amount of time off after a full/Dopey, but I ran an easy 4 mile recovery run yesterday morning and felt great. I’m thankful as my next half is in just over 3 weeks. 🫠

Marathon Weekend is such a fun time, but coming from California to do dopey is rough. Beyond thankful rD is coming back to DLR as we’ll likely cut our WDW run weekends way back and stay close to home. After years of being spoiled by the DLR rD races (rolling out of bed shortly before the start and walking to corrals), the WDW four early bus days in a row is just too much!
My mom who was with me the whole time (cheer squad) has a cold. She has tested three times for covid and still negative, so we are thinking just cold. Also all she has is a runny nose.
I have lucked out and did not get what she got.

I tested positive on Sat and didn’t run the marathon. There’s a Reddit thread right now with lots of ppl who have returned home sick, COVID or otherwise.
That was me following last year's marathon. I hope that you feel better soon.

Back in December, my PT had told me to plan on taking 2-3 weeks off of running after the marathon and I’m happy to do that. The break has been nice.

I plan on getting back to lifting next week, adding in some spinning the week after, and after that maybe I’ll start working running back in.
I'd love to see the screenshot too, if you don't mind sharing it. I'm in the group of taking 2+ weeks off to recover, and enjoying it, but want to get in the habit of strength training and yoga in my time off.

I took a COVID test at home on Tuesday and one yesterday at Urgicare - both negative. Just a sinus infection here.

But seriously - there are sooooo many sicknesses going around, not just COVID. My kids have basically been sick since October. They just had what I suspect was the flu at Christmas - three days of high fevers and general crappiness.

My poor 6yo seems to catch everything - she has had more COVID tests than the rest of our family just to be sure they are just colds!

and there was talk about how marathons in general kind of sap your immune system and there's more of a tendency for your body to "get" something after a long endurance event because of how much you tax it.
in early 20 right when Covid was starting to be a thing I had some respiratory issues I couldn’t shake and urgent care kept insisting it was because I just did an endurance event as I was “too young” for it to be Covid lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter