Marathon Weekend 2021

Dagnabbit all the green "register now" buttons appeared for every marathon weekend event on the runDisney page just now! I clicked but then when you go to the next page it said, like always, that every event but the Castaway Cay race was full. Almost had a heart attack!

I saw that too. But since I’m now on my DH IPad, since my laptop died, I thought it was just some weird IPad-y thing. (I don’t use it very often)

I saw that too. But since I’m now on my DH IPad, since my laptop died, I thought it was just some weird IPad-y thing. (I don’t use it very often)
I was on Chrome on my laptop but it had to be a glitch, no way everything opened up at once for such a short time.

Good morning, runDisney all-stars!

This week’s Sundays are for Disney is a guest submission from @PaDisneyCouple, who stole the idea from a podcast, but it’s a good idea so I’ll allow it:

“ You get to do one race all over again, everything happens exactly as it did the first time. What race would it be?”

I’m taking this two ways - you get to redo any race you’ve done, the conditions remain the same but how you prepare, dress, fuel, run, etc. can be changed. Or, you can relive any race in all over again. So, answer however you feel like.

Redo: WDW marathon 2019. A perfectly good, enjoyable race that capped off my one and only Dopey. I had a great time. I didn’t run to PR, but set out to set a good time and possibly get a sub-4. Instead, I hit the wall hard at Mile 18, but finished with a decent time. If I could do it over again, I’d run it as a fun run with a group.

Relive: WDW marathon 2020. Hottest Disney race on record. Delayed start. Sunscreen in my eyes. Weird rash on my leg the next day. Slowest finish ever. But the Goof Troop made sure it was the most fun I’ve ever had running. I’d do it all again in a heart beat, just with more dad jokes.

Have a great week. Stay safe and healthy, gang.

Oh man. I really don’t have a race I’d want to redo. They all are special for their own reasons. The only redo aspects I would have maybe is weather. 2017 and 2018 were cooler years overall.

As for relive I think I would go with the 2019 marathon. First in line for Everest with friends, had a finish line margarita. Overall a really fun weekend. 2020 was awesome though too.

“ You get to do one race all over again, everything happens exactly as it did the first time. What race would it be?”

I’m taking this two ways - you get to redo any race you’ve done, the conditions remain the same but how you prepare, dress, fuel, run, etc. can be changed. Or, you can relive any race in all over again. So, answer however you feel like.

Redo: Houston marathon 2009. My first attempt at sub-4, and our little group ended up short by a minute or so. We easily could’ve made that up along the way had we paid better attention to tangents, water stops, and crowding.

Relive: Comrades 2014. An absolutely perfect race. 10.5 hours spent with my best friend during an historic event with amazing support along the way and an incredible atmosphere at the finish.

Relive: WDW marathon 2020. Hottest Disney race on record. Delayed start. Sunscreen in my eyes. Weird rash on my leg the next day. Slowest finish ever. But the Goof Troop made sure it was the most fun I’ve ever had running. I’d do it all again in a heart beat, just with more dad jokes.

Maybe next time, try not to run through a drainage ditch full of stagnant water :rotfl2:

Great question!
Relive: Princess 10k 2015. Second RD event, first time with a group of friends, one who has since become a best friend. Showed me just how amazingly fun RD races could be.

Redo: Marathon 2020. Loved running with the a Goof Troop, but in my redo, I would deal with the heat better. That event had the makings of an epic race but I let myself down. Needing redemption was my primary reason for signing up for 2021.

Redo: 2020 Marathon. While my hydration game was strong, my restroom game was not. Too many stops and choosing real restrooms with long lines over port a potties with no lines ate up a lot of time. If I could have just cleared BB before the course was cut short and merged in front of me I could have saved myself a lot of grief those last 4+ miles. (But that heat though...) 2021 Dopey is my opportunity for redemption! (Start praying to the weather gods now...)

Relive: Wine & Dine 2014 (aka Splash & Dash). It was my second Wine & Dine and I had multiple friends running or cheering. The course still went through the Osborne Lights and I actually made it to the after party (the previously year I didn’t feel up to it). It was a great trip and a memorable experience!

Relive: Marathon 2018. 2nd marathon and first Dopey. If I remember, it was the best weather of the weekend. My dad got to see me three times throughout the race and made sure to FaceTime my kids each time so the year could see me. Stopped for a ton of characters and overall felt pretty good for the whole race. Just a great race and was a great way to finish Dopey.

Redo: Marathon 2019. Weather started off ok but got hot once I reached the highway between AK and WWoS. I ran the half too fast and did the parks too hard the day before then just wasn’t smart in how I did the back half of the race. I still finished but it was a struggle. Learned the hard way about throwing away the wet sponge shortly after I got it.

Relive: 2018 Woodstock 50 Miler. It was a great day, beautiful weather, I felt strong and zero’d in on my hydration and fueling. Ultimately I had a really good day running in the woods and even had top 5 age bracket finish.

Redo: 2015 Detriot Marathon. I went out fast trying to catch a pace group that was a couple corrals ahead of me. I did eventually catch them and ran with them for many miles. Then for some (really dumb) reason I decided I could go faster and left the the pace group - it was a 3:55 pace group and my goal was to go under 4. I got greedy and figured I was already far under pace given I had to catch the group and then by pulling away I was going to have an epic new PR. Well, at about mile 18 the wheels came off and it became a slog to the finish. Thank goodness it was cold that was my only saving grace. I finished in 4:04. I would love to go back to the moment I decided to leave that pace group and just stay put! I am sure that group finished under 4; but I would not know because they had passed me up when I was slogging along.

Redo: Chicago marathon 2018. Trained hard had a goal of sub 5:00 marathon and just had a terrible race. Not even sure what happened. Too much buildup in my head and when the start was kinda Rocky just got in my head and never could shake it.

Relive: Tinkerbell half 2017. First (and only DL race weekend). Perfect weather and first time experience the DL resorts. I was well-trained and had a great run. It was a wonderful race and trip.

SAFD:

Relive-All 4 Inaugural Dopey Races. It was so much fun being in on the ground floor of something so amazing and experiencing it for the first time with everyone else. Also some of my best races from a performance standpoint.

Redo-Marathon Weekend 2020.My poor preparation is a huge regret. Even if I can’t fix preparation there are things I could have done that would have minimized the possibility of an eventual DNS in the marathon (better footwear choices, less time in the parks, smarter/more economical movement in the parks).

Relive: Vienna marathon 2017. Brilliant race, great way to see a great city. PB and a brilliant beer hall lead to quite the headache the next day! :drinking1

Redo: Hever castle marathon 2019. First trail marathon, didn’t do enough training. A combination of the the hills and it being the hottest day of the year absolutely done me in!

SAFD:
Redo: Chicago Marathon 2018. This was supposed to be a sub-4:00 attempt, but it was derailed early and often by too hot summer training temps, getting bitten by a dog on a run 3 days before the race, going out way too fast and in-race downpours. It all combined to create a spectacular crash and burn around mile 20, followed by a death march to the end hanging onto whatever shreds of pace I could. Strangely enough, though, it still stands as my marathon PR. I’d love to have another shot at that one.

Relive: Badwater Cape Fear 2019. From starting in the shadow of Old Baldie lighthouse watching the sun rise over the marsh grass as we ran across a boardwalk to watching the sun set on the beach as I finished my last out and back leg, it was a marvelous race. If I could relive it, I’d make sure to wear gaiters to keep the sand out of my shoes, though.

Redo: 2017 Los Angeles Marathon. Had IT band issues during training and got past them and they came back with a vengeance at the halfway point. I finished but was not happy with how I felt. I think 2021 could be the rematch.

Relive: WDW 2020. My first marathon in 2016 was great too, but doing Dopey, parking lot beers and DATW with the group and four races instead of just one made this have the best memories.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter