Marathon Weekend 2021

SAFD:

Relive: 2014 Tower of Terror 10 Miler. 2013 I broke my ankle and couldn’t run the 5K so we came back and for my first ever races I did both the 5K and the 10 miler that day. It was a fantastic night race, I would love do do it again especially now that I am better trained.

Redo: 2019 Dopey Challenge. Everything was great until I got bronchitis (not fun with asthma) and a sinus infection for the marathon. I had to drop out at mile 20. I was so close. 2021 Dopey here I come.

SAFD:

Relive: 2019 Cowtown Half. 10 months prior was on the couch targeting the 2018 W&D. Ran by myself and finished at 2:10. Felt good through the entire race and continually pushed myself.

Redo: 2018 Wine and Dine Half. First half marathon. Wish we were in slightly better shape so we could have enjoyed ourselves on the course more.

Been working with my DVC rental person from the boards since SW weekend was cancelled. For the same price and twice the length landed on a split stay- 4 nights each at Saratoga over the MW weekend and Poly starting Monday.

For the half marathon, thinking of running as Big Thunder miners.

SAFD:
DH here.
Relive: WDW Marathon 2020. Even with the heat, humidity, and sun. My first full. So many memories. All the training paid off.

DH:
Relive: 2020 WDW Half Marathon. In less than 1 year, went from not running at all to running a half marathon and beating the @DopeyBadger predicted finish time.
Redo: Castaway Cay Challenge 5k 2020. It would have been more enjoyable if I'd walked it all instead of trying to run/walk, which was almost impossible on the narrow path.

I think it says something very interesting that so many of us have such fond memories of the 2020 Walt Disney World Marathon and would willingly choose to relive it in those conditions that day.

That is amazing! My daughter was running and I was volunteering at bonus medals! It was so HOT that day, we had some volunteers actually drop due to heat exhaustion and lots of medic attention was needed for runners at the bonus medal tent area.

I had one girl, she was so determined since they cut the course and it was her first full, that I just cheered her on right there as we got her final steps in at the end so she could make the actual distance. She jogged back and forth from me to the banana tent about 12 times and I just kept cheering her on. It was awesome!

Good morning, runDisney all-stars!

For this week’s Sundays are for Disney, design your own Disney race or race weekend. What are the distances and themes? What is on the medals? Any route ideas?

I’d love to have a nighttime series incorporating the fireworks shows.

5K - Epcot w/Illuminations or its replacement running on loop
10K - Epcot and HS with the Star Wars show running on loop
HM - finish on Main Street, USA with HEA running on loop

Edit: forgot to add my characters

I’d get away the Fab Four in favor of other characters, maybe do pairs:

- Lilo and Stitch
- Tarzan and Jane
- Jessie and Buzz
- Ralph and Vanelope

Short of that, I’d bring back the ToT 10K. I want to run a nighttime race at WDW.

Have a great, safe and healthy week, everyone!

Last edited:

For this week’s Sundays are for Disney, design your own Disney race or race weekend. What are the distances and themes? What is on the medals? Any route ideas?

I’d love to have a nighttime series incorporating the fireworks shows.

5K - Epcot w/Illuminations or its replacement running on loop
10K - Epcot and HS with the Star Wars show running on loop
HM - finish on Main Street, USA with HEA running on loop

Short of that, I’d bring back the ToT 10K. I want to run a nighttime race at WDW.

Have a great, safe and healthy week, everyone!
Not feeling too creative today but all that sounds good.
Nighttime races with fireworks, yes
Nighttime races with Star Wars characters, check
Anytime running through the castle, yes.
But just let me in the race!
We made reservations on property for MW, but we aren’t running because we couldn’t get bibs for any race. We’ll go anyway and just eat, I suppose.

My race theme is Tiki, with all the medals and themes inspired by drinks at Trader Sam's Grog Grotto. All podium finishers get the tiki mug from each drink for their trophy.

5k - Krakatoa Punch
10k - Nautilus
Half - Uh-Oa!
Challenge - HippopotoMai-Tai

My race theme is Tiki, with all the medals and themes inspired by drinks at Trader Sam's Grog Grotto. All podium finishers get the tiki mug from each drink for their trophy.

5k - Krakatoa Punch
10k - Nautilus
Half - Uh-Oa!
Challenge - HippopotoMai-Tai

Even better (but NEVER gonna happen) would be on-course drink samples. Of course, this could be done surreptitiously, say, each member of the Tiki Troupe (soon-to-be Trademarked) could run with a flask of a specific drink and share with the Troupe. COVID be damned!

SAFD: OK. I’ll take a shot. I’ll make my race weekend a “standard” 5k, 10k & 1/2 combos, but I’ll make them night races with start times of 10:00-11:00.

Jack Sparrow presents the Pirates of the Caribbean, featuring the
  • Cursed Pirate 5k under the moonlight with a spinner medal (pirates on one side and ghost skeletal pirates on the other)
  • Black Pearl 10k run on the MW 10k course with pirate ships staged in the Epcot and resort lakes playing PoTC music with fireworks and cannon fire ambience. Black Pearl medal
  • Jack Sparrow 1/2 Marathon
  • Cursed Coin Challenge, but you have to run all 3 races to get it. Another spinner medal with the Cursed Coin on one side and Jack’s compass on the other.

SAFD: OK. I’ll take a shot. I’ll make my race weekend a “standard” 5k, 10k & 1/2 combos, but I’ll make them night races with start times of 10:00-11:00.

Jack Sparrow presents the Pirates of the Caribbean, featuring the
  • Cursed Pirate 5k under the moonlight with a spinner medal (pirates on one side and ghost skeletal pirates on the other)
  • Black Pearl 10k run on the MW 10k course with pirate ships staged in the Epcot and resort lakes playing PoTC music with fireworks and cannon fire ambience. Black Pearl medal
  • Jack Sparrow 1/2 Marathon
  • Cursed Coin Challenge, but you have to run all 3 races to get it. Another spinner medal with the Cursed Coin on one side and Jack’s compass on the other.
can you submit this to runDisney for consideration?

SAFD:

I like the villains Idea...let's make it a race through each park with a different villain to represent the park. All would be evening races to help us West-coast runners that are punished with all these early races. Each race would be filled with Character stops and access to a large number of attractions during the race. I would keep the races as shorter distance runs so it could be more inclusive to those who aren't able to do the longer distances.

Animal Kingdom 5K:
  • The villain could be Scar.
  • You would start out in the East side of the Yeti parking lot.
  • Follow the outside road counterclockwise until you enter the park.
  • Run up towards the Tree of Life.
  • Veer right into DinoLand USA.
  • Up past Finding Nemo the Musical.
  • Past Expedition Everest (stopping for a ride if needed).
  • Through Asia all the way to Africa.
  • Take the outside path past Festival of the Lion King and into Pandora.
  • Through the floating mountains and out through Rain Forest Road.
  • Meet up on Balck Lake Road.
  • Turn left on to Osceola Parkway and make you way up to the bus depot.
  • Through the Depot and then back to the Parking lot.
  • Ending around the Dinosaur section of the lot.
The Outer Rim Run - 5k:
  • Your villain would have to be related to the first/last order. It could be Darth Sidious, Kylo Ren, Darth Vader.
  • You would start at the south side of the Film lot.
  • You would stick the the east edge all the way north up to Studio Drive North.
  • Turn left towards the bus depot.
  • Take the bus lane closets to the water up past the skyliner and towards Hollywood Studios.
  • You would veer right at the ticket booth onto to perimeter road.
  • Circle behind Beauty and the Beast stage and up past Tower of Terror.
  • Turn towards Rockin' Roller Coaster and past Lightening McQueen.
  • Turn left on Cypress drive.
  • Turn left onto W Showbiz Blvd.
  • Follow that until you turn right onto Sunset Blvd.
  • Turn towards the Chinese Theater on Hollywood Blvd.
  • Run up to the Theatre and then veer right through the arches by Animation courtyard.
  • Turn left down Mickey Ave and into Toy story land.
  • Enter Black Spire Outpost on the First order side of the land.
  • Circle to the right past First Order Cargo, Oga's Cantina and reach the Falcon.
  • Take the ramp section back up the East side of the falcon and go past Savi's workshop.
  • Turn right at the landspeeders and head to Rise of the Resistance.
  • Pass the ships and out onto Grande Ave.
  • Pass Satr Tours and head towards Echo Lake.
  • Circle Echo Lake counter-clockwise until you get to Hollywood Blvd and then turn right.
  • Exit the park and end in the TV parking lot.
Epcot - 5k:
  • The Villian chocie could change from year to year. Take your pick based on the country that a film is associated with.
  • Do a 5k counter-clockwise loop around world showcase.
Magic Kingdom 5 Miler:
  • You would end the races with a 5 miler instead of a 5k. The more time in Magic Kingdom...the better!
  • The villain could either be Lady Tremaine if we are using the Cinderella theme, if we stick with the park Mascot of Tinker Bell, than we could use Maleficent , if we want a Sword in the Stone theme, then it could be Mad Madam Mim, if we want a Ariel Theme, than Ursula. They could change it up year after year and pick a different villain from the park.
  • It would defiantly have to be a night race.
  • I could see the route as follows:
  • Start in the TTC parking lot by the Scar section.
  • Turn left on World Dr. and head up to the Magic Kingdom You would pass the contemporary as you usually do.
  • Enter the park as you usually do, but instead of going all the way up main street, veer left past the fire station onto Caribbean way.
  • You would truly be running on the backside of water around Jungle cruise.
  • Come out from backstage besides pirates and turn right back towards the hub in adventure land.
  • Head into tomorrow land and stay right towards Carrosel of Progress, pass space mountain and then head towards the tea cups.
  • Instead of heading immediately through the castle, go around the backside of Seven Dwarfs Mine train passing by Little Mermaid and Gaston's tavern.
  • Head towards the Carousel and through the castle.
  • Head into Frontier land via liberty square and out the side like you usually do.
  • Loop back down towards the TTC parking lot, passing The Grand Flo and Poly along the way.
  • Turn onto Seven Seas drive and back into the parking lot to finish near the Peter pan section of the lot.
There would be a four park challenge. You could also maybe add a Pin challenge where you need to ride a headliner in each park to collect a special running pin. If you collect the Pin for all four parks you get a special headliner challenge pin.

SAFD:

There are all types of themes that would be super fun for a standard 5k/10k/Half Weekend and I’d be on board for most of them. I’m going to try for something outside of this type of plan.

I have a crazy two race challenge for Treat Yo Self Weekend

Race 1-Magic Kingdom

A loop course would be set up through MK. I have no idea how long the course would be, something in the 1-2 mile range. The course would have pit stops with 500 calorie servings of different snacks found in the park at approximately their position in the park (made to fit the course). Snacks would be: Dole Whip, Cheshire Cat Tail, Cinnamon Roll from Gaston’s, Peter Pan Float, Mickey Premium Bar, Cotton Candy, Fruit and Nutella Waffle, and Citrus Swirl.

Runners would be required to make 5 laps:

Lap 1-run only
Lap 2-5-Runners must stop at a single snack stop and finish a complete serving of the available snack then complete their lap.

Runners can choose their snacks in whatever manner and order they’d like as long as they eat 4 different snacks.

Race 2-Epcot

Another loop course around world showcase with some added distance to get a decent 1-2 mile course. Variation on the theme from MK: we went sweet there, so Epcot is savory. Pit stops in Epcot would be Cheddar Cheese Soup in Canada, Chips in the UK, Croque Monsieur in France, Hummus Fries in Morocco, Sushi in Japan, Pizza in Italy, Pretzel in Germany, Egg Rolls in China, School Bread in Norway (it’s close enough to savory), and Chips and Queso in Mexico.

Since it’s the second race, we’d go to 6 laps, with the last 5 requiring a snack stop.

Registration would necessarily be limited, maybe 1000-2000 entries at most. There would be a system to identify lap and snacks consumed to avoid people making multiple stops in a single lap. I’m completely open to changing any of the snacks if I missed something that should have been obvious.

I’m not sure on individual race names. Completing both could be the Snack Attack Challenge, but I’m not married to that either. Seemed like a fun, Disney variation on the beer mile and some of those type challenges that have popped up over the last few years.

SAFD:

Snow White & The Seven Dwarfs 7 Miler
Starts in Fantasy Land, Magic Kingdom (of course)
The medal would be a replica of the special Academy Award presented to Walt Disney by Shirley Temple
You could choose Snow White or any of the dwarfs as your bib character

Mile 1) Sleepy ... Starts at 6:00 AM
Mile 2) Bashful ... During this mile at least one article of clothing must be shed
Mile 3) Grumpy ... This mile takes place on the wastewater treatment trail and lined with Balloon Ladies
Mile 4) Sneezy ... During this mile you must stop for a Covid-19 test
Mile 5) Doc ... After passing a temperature and sobriety check you are allowed to proceed.
Mile 6) Dopey ... You must run this mile skipping, headphones turned to max, and oblivious to your surroundings
Mile 7) Happy ... For the final mile all water stops replaced with libations from Hurricane Hannah's & La Cava del Tequila

😴🥵😡🤧🤕🤪😁

I’m turning this one over to DH:

The inaugural Kilimanjaro Safari Trail 10 Miler! Pumba/Timon spinner medal! Photos with Rafiki - and another baboon! Madame Upanova - and and another ostrich! Parking lot beers at Thirsty River! Short sleeve t-shirts with Explorer Mickey!

Would we actually be running on the Safari path? Cause that would be cool!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter