Marathon Weekend 2021

I can see it is an echo chamber in here. I have never been anything but positive on this board, and I have been posting running information here before this rD board was created.

Amazing how quickly you guys can turn on someone over this.

Um, wow........

This was probably one of the most uplifting weeks I’ve had in a long while. I registered for Best Damn Race Orlando 10K, registered for the RD Virtual race challenge and there was a date released for AP MW registration. The Covid doom and gloom 24/7 is making me crazy and the few minutes of “normal“ was much welcomed. We have no idea what it’s like in each others lives right now so maybe we should be more understanding about excitement over registration dates. I don‘t think calling people’s opinions irresponsible and disturbing or questioning ones ethics for signing up or participating helpful.

SAFD: I have a black Nike hat with a small white embroidered Mickey that I wear all the time. I wish they’d release more colors!

SAFD: I have a black Nike hat with a small white embroidered Mickey that I wear all the time. I wish they’d release more colors!

I am so totally with you on this!! Your hat is the closest I’ve come to finding a replacement for my Nike DCL hat, but there are only two colors available! Your white Mickey on a black hat (can you say hot hot hot in the summer sun) and a black Mickey on a white hat (can you say 2 wearings at most before it’s perma-stained). Let’s have some different color combos!

Um, wow........
Omg, I was about to mention that same hat! I think the white one is in my future, but would love more colors as well.
I also love my custom Disney sparkle skirts. They make even boring runs special. And honestly, my favorite Disney clothes are my Mickey 71 hoodie (bought on a cold night after my first RD event) and a pair of a Mickey pj joggers. But I’m not posting a picture of that.

Attachments

• 92A2D592-3BBB-4DF5-A24A-7927C201FEEF.jpeg
    92A2D592-3BBB-4DF5-A24A-7927C201FEEF.jpeg
    44.9 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
SAFD: My runDisney shoes. I miss them so much.

Those shoes sat around for months after there were holes in the soles because I couldn’t bring myself to throw them out. I even looked for tutorials online for how to resole sneakers. I’ll always love you most of all Haunted Mansion New Balance sneakers.

CF2CE798-2007-42B4-9855-D61D14789095.gif

I will forever regret not getting a pair of runDisney New Balances.

This times 1000, looked at Haunted Mansion New Balance, “maybe next race...”
No,no,no...

Oh well, my favorite may be a stretch as far as apparel, it’s my 2017 Wine and Dine medal (my first half), wore it for two days at the park and then at the airport.

SAFD: I got the Festival of the Arts spirit jersey on this year's trip, and I love it--I actually wore it on today's long walk. I'm a little concerned the raised printed decorations won't hold up over the long term, but this kind of colorful abomination is exactly my style. Seriously, I've hit a point in my life where my answer to "what is your favorite color?" is just "all of them!"

lskdfndg01.jpg

lxnfksdjgsfi-1024x576.jpg

SAFD: My Harveys Seatbelt Minnie backpack, if that counts. And I really love my violet lemonade minnie ears and my DCL ears too. Also love the etsy bows I wear for races. Not a great answer - really can't decide!

Registration. @mateojr and I registered for the summer virtual 5Ks. At WDW, he ran the 5Ks until he was eligible for the 10Ks, and now Marathon Weekend 2021 would be his first half marathon - the first year he will be eligible for it. For a little guy on the autism spectrum with a laser focus on this event, it's a big deal. I think we will likely register, even though I'm not entirely optimistic that it will occur or that we will be comfortable participating.

Meanwhile, we'll be out in our tea cup, space mountain and haunted mansion gear this summer, happy to wave from afar at any local disers out there on lake drive!

But for now, it is a terribly infectious disease that we do not understand at all.

I agree with this comment, and I think the ******* within this Board stems from trying to deal with it. Most of us will trust to at least some extent what our elected officials and Disney corporate determine is safe (hopefully based on good science). Some of us, for good reasons or paranoia will choose to be more cautious. Some of us, for good reasons or Pollyanna wishes will choose to be less cautious. We all are looking for good news and hope.

I will choose to be more cautious for personal health reasons (62 year old former diabetic with a history of chronic bronchitis). I don't think I'm spreading negativity or trying to rain on others' parade. It's just too early in the "game" to have any factual based idea on what will be possible for Marathon Weekend. I'm signed up for W&D with flights and hotel booked. I really hope it happens and that I feel comfortable attending. We will see.

I wasn't going to do Marathon Weekend, but I may register for the HM at some point if it looks probable that W&D may cancel. So for that reason, I wished that Marathon Weekend registration was delayed as long as possible so I would have a better guesstimate of W&D. But that's just me; each of us have our own motivations and logic that may well lead to very different conclusions.

Last edited:
SAFD:
I have two items. My first is my Baloo coffee cup. It is a Bare Necessity of the weekend. My other is an old fleece pullover I got at Disneyland around 1998. It is pretty beat up, but it is warm, comfortable, makes me happy when I wear it as it reminds me of my days living near Disneyland!

I do hope all are safe, healthy and hanging in ok. Hopefully all goes well and we can look forward to running around the World of the Mouse in January. If you choose not to go, that is cool to.

I think we will likely register, even though I'm not entirely optimistic that it will occur or that we will be comfortable participating.

That's basically where I am, partly because I've already sunk money into the trip that I won't be able to get back unless WDW is closed down come January--it looks like I can get travel insurance to refund my DVC rental if I'm not able to take the trip due to external forces, but it's too late for me to buy insurance that would include cancel-for-any-reason coverage (no idea how brokers are handling DVC rentals during closure periods, but I'm not counting on getting a refund directly). Looking at the ~$1600 I've got tied up in the trip...well, another $200 for the race and 50K MileagePlus miles for our airfare isn't that much to add to the gamble in the grand scheme of things, and I figure it's worth betting that much on being able to go (plus I'm guessing I'd get the race registration back if it's cancelled, though nothing is ever a sure thing).

Best case scenario, the world has gotten to a place where the races are held and we feel safe going (if the races are cancelled but WDW is open, we're currently planning on just taking a "regular" trip). Worst case scenario, nothing's cancelled but we feel unsafe and I just lose the money. That would be sad and frustrating, but since it's money already allocated to travel it doesn't put me in any danger of destabilizing my general financial situation, and I made my bed when I booked a nonrefundable room.

Good morning runDisney all-stars!

For this week’s Sundays are for Disney, what’s your favorite piece of Disney apparel?

There are MANY candidates but my absolute favorite is the New Balance runDisney Sorcerer Mickey shoes! I'm wearing them right now!

Sorcerer Mickey is my absolute favorite character and - between WDW and the (then) Disneyland races - I ended up buying 4 pairs that year! I still have one pair that has running miles left...I only wear them for special races. The pair I am wearing right now have no running miles remaining but I use them around the house (I don't wear them outside)... they just feel really good on my feet. If I walk around in socks or bare feet, it takes a toll on my shins and arches. Plus...Sorcerer Mickey!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter