Marathon Weekend 2021

A cautionary tale for those who think they are not at risk from this thing:

He's an Ironman. COVID-19 nearly killed him

The COVID-19 mystery of Ben O’Donnell, a 30-something Ironman athlete, remains as baffling today as it did March 10 — when Minnesotans learned the state’s first coronavirus case needing intensive care was someone in his prime.

State health investigators were perplexed, given the virus’ history of hitting the sick and elderly the hardest.

Minnesotans lost hope, because being young and healthy were not surefire shields against COVID-19.

Full recovery remains possible, with patience. The Ironman lasted .4 miles on a treadmill this week, and needed supplemental oxygen for only half of a 15-minute walk.

I'm not sure there are people who think they aren't at risk posting here. But there are many statistics that show there are certain subsets of people at higher risk. We all recognize any of us could catch the virus and perhaps suffer devastating effects or death from it.

It seems most here are saying they will rely on Disney following appropriate safety measures when they eventually open back up and reinstitute races. The vast majority of people want to do the right thing to protect themselves, their families and their communities. Marathon weekend is still many months away and it is hard to predict what things will look like come January. Meanwhile a little hope and optimism and planning can help people get through the current situation. If it's unsafe to gather and race come January, I'm confident the weekend will be cancelled.

For this week’s Sundays are for Disney, what’s your favorite piece of Disney apparel?
I was just thinking about this yesterday! Recently I have been loving my AP raglan race tees. I have two from MW but my favorite is the one from W&D! I love the colors, the fabric is super soft and lately I’ve been enjoying the loose oversized fit. It makes me happy to advertise being an AP and Wine & Dine race weekend, a sentimental favorite for me. (Side note: This version happens to be the new runDisney branded shirts.)

I'm not sure there are people who think they aren't at risk posting here. But there are many statistics that show there are certain subsets of people at higher risk. We all recognize any of us could catch the virus and perhaps suffer devastating effects or death from it.
If running has taught us anything, it is that we are all an experiment of one. Percentages don't mean squat if you are the one who gets this and either dies or suffers from permanent lung damage. The man in the article that I quoted will never be the same - ever. That could be any of us - or worse, we could get it and pass it to someone else who is not as fortunate.

And trusting Disney (or any other publicly held company) to protect us is a really poor plan.

If running has taught us anything, it is that we are all an experiment of one. Percentages don't mean squat if you are the one who gets this and either dies or suffers from permanent lung damage. The man in the article that I quoted will never be the same - ever. That could be any of us - or worse, we could get it and pass it to someone else who is not as fortunate.

And trusting Disney (or any other publicly held company) to protect us is a really poor plan.

Of course it's all meaningless if you are that one but we all take calculated risks every day. I dont really understand your point fully on that. I know you stated you have particular concerns about your family and that influences your thoughts on that. Understandable but I think reasonable people can come to different conclusions looking at the same information. I just don't share your viewpoint about an event nearly 9 months away at this point in time. My opinion may be very different at that time.

We all trust entities everyday to help protect us. It's how we live in a society. All I can do is look at what is happening currently in the country and I do see most public and private entities trying to listen to scientific experts about how to protect our citizens. Again ultimately we have to see what January brings so debating it in April seems premature.

I found this sweatshirt in the gift shop in Adventureland on clearance the year after Disneyland's 40th anniversary, so it's almost 25 years old and still is in good shape (and has been worn/washed a lot). It's outlasted a lot of more recent shirts and sweatshirts I have and it's really warm. It's also got the nostalgia feeling since I'd gone to Disneyland on the actual 40th birthday.

Disney photo.jpg

Of course it's all meaningless if you are that one but we all take calculated risks every day. I dont really understand your point fully on that. I know you stated you have particular concerns about your family and that influences your thoughts on that. Understandable but I think reasonable people can come to different conclusions looking at the same information. I just don't share your viewpoint about an event nearly 9 months away at this point in time. My opinion may be very different at that time.

We all trust entities everyday to help protect us. It's how we live in a society. All I can do is look at what is happening currently in the country and I do see most public and private entities trying to listen to scientific experts about how to protect our citizens. Again ultimately we have to see what January brings so debating it in April seems premature.
My point is that you are not taking a calculated risk as you have no idea what the relevant points to consider since we are all different. It is hubris that has us believe that we understand the risks associated with this disease. We have no idea.

As for January, I agree. If things change this could be something that even I would run in. Heck, we could learn that this is far less a risk than we currently believe it to be, and that is my real hope.

But for now, it is a terribly infectious disease that we do not understand at all.

If it's unsafe to gather and race come January, I'm confident the weekend will be cancelled.
This. Disney will consult with every expert they can find to determine if it's safe to hold the races. My personal theory is that if Boston, Chicago, and NYC all cancel, Disney will cancel too, but that's just a guess. Even if you don't trust Disney to prioritize guest safety, you have to admit that they probably don't want the bad PR from holding an event when it's not safe to do so.

On a personal level, I'm fortunate enough to still be working at my decently paying job, so I can afford to register and then just eat the cost if the weekend happens but I decide it's not safe for me to attend. I'm also fortunate that I have people at work that I can consult with who are experts in the field and can help give me guidance as to what factors to consider in a decision as to whether or not to attend the weekend.

On to happier things...
For this week’s Sundays are for Disney, what’s your favorite piece of Disney apparel?
Does jewelry count? Because then it's definitely my Pandora bracelet. I have a park bracelet, and I add a charm (or sometimes a set) for every trip I take.

A cautionary tale for those who think they are not at risk from this thing:

He's an Ironman. COVID-19 nearly killed him

The COVID-19 mystery of Ben O’Donnell, a 30-something Ironman athlete, remains as baffling today as it did March 10 — when Minnesotans learned the state’s first coronavirus case needing intensive care was someone in his prime.

State health investigators were perplexed, given the virus’ history of hitting the sick and elderly the hardest.

Minnesotans lost hope, because being young and healthy were not surefire shields against COVID-19.

Full recovery remains possible, with patience. The Ironman lasted .4 miles on a treadmill this week, and needed supplemental oxygen for only half of a 15-minute walk.
Good lord let people make their own decisions. If you don’t want to go fine. I’m signing up. I hope to race. If not that’s fine too. I need some hope and something to look forward too. Dopey is my favorite thing in the world these days. I want to run and see my friends.

Good lord let people make their own decisions. If you don’t want to go fine. I’m signing up. I hope to race. If not that’s fine too. I need some hope and something to look forward too. Dopey is my favorite thing in the world these days. I want to run and see my friends.
Never told you otherwise. Stop pretending otherwise. This post is disturbing on many levels.

My point is that you are not taking a calculated risk as you have no idea what the relevant points to consider since we are all different. It is hubris that has us believe that we understand the risks associated with this disease. We have no idea.

I certainly am taking a calculated risk. Whenever the time comes that I am allowed to move about freely, likely in 3-4 weeks from now, I’m risking my health by doing so. I’m taking a chance that the people I encounter will have been stuck in the same 3-month lockdown as me and are therefore unlikely to be contagious. When I fly back to the US for the races next year, I will be taking a risk again, probably an even greater one but one I’m willing to take. People with serious immune disease or other medical conditions are not likely to be willing to take the same risks as I am, and that’s okay. We all have different levels of risk tolerance. The government and Disney probably each have their own level as well, and at some point, they’ll decide if the rest of us can move forward and take the risk too should we so desire. Some will, some won’t, and it’s okay to each make that decision for ourselves.

SAFD:

My Mickey lounge pants. They used to be much brighter when I got them 7 or 8 years ago. They’re getting a lot of use lately.
8793C720-B220-4084-84AC-DCD27CD1AF2A.jpeg

On Registration:

I’m going to do my best to stay out of the crossfire. The only thing I know is that I don’t know. I don’t know when or how this disease is going to be resolved. I have hope as we give it more time that tests, treatments, possible vaccinations, etc. will all become more available and effective.

May 12 seems early, particularly in light of registration a couple years ago starting a month+ later. I don’t know if they faced logistical issues that year and thereby avoided a later date but common sense dictates that they are merely looking to generate cashflow, even if it eventually needs to be paid back.

That said, May 12 is still a few weeks away. A lot could happen or not happen during that time. Currently, I’m in no rush to book anything. If things remain then as they are now I will wait to register. If things sell out, they sell out.

Never told you otherwise. Stop pretending otherwise. This post is disturbing on many levels.

What do you find disturbing about his post? You’re making the decision that you feel is right for you and your family and so is he. He, along with many others, including myself are looking for positivity and happiness during this crazy time and looking ahead to what the future holds and if that means signing up for a race than so be it.

There’s no need to spread your negativity and distrust in everyone in this thread. Keep the negativity to yourself or take it somewhere else where they’ll listen to it. This thread is about running and happiness and fun so lets continue to share positivity and hope and build each other up and continue to encourage each other.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter