• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2017!

Oops -- Full marathon. Thanks!

Jeremy,

I am running the full also and was considering recommending the following to my family. If anyone can poke a hole in this plan, please do so:

1. Main Street USA in the MK in the early morning. It's really cool to be in the MK at 530am while it's still dark and when the runners show up between mile 5 and 6, it's pretty much a constant stream of runners after that. The sun starts to come up while you are there. In 2015 I ran the half on Saturday and found family lining the route up by Casey's. The next day on Sunday I went over for the full and watched the runners go by. Pretty cool. MK is only open up to the hub for spectators and eventually all must leave to prepare the park for morning opening.

2. Then family could catch a bus from MK over to AK Lodge and then get a bus to AK park and catch me coming out of the AK park which is around mile 14.

3. Then if they wanted they could bus back to AK Lodge and bus over to Epcot to see the finish. Using the runner text/time updates they'd have an idea of my pace and where to find me or when I might pass a specific place on the route.

Of course you can bus to the entrance of DHS as runners come out the front and hit the sidewalk along the canal toward the Swan/Dolphin but then it might be tough to get over to the Epcot parking lot in time for the finish.

I won't be fast but I intend to finish upright. This plan is assuming you don't have a car to get around. If your family has a car, they might be able to squeeze in DHS.

Hope this helps. Good luck to you.

Bama Ed

When I ran the full marathon in 2015, my husband, my parents and my three kids had a plan . . . that pretty much fell apart! I mapped out some suggestions for them, but bus service didn't work as expected. We stayed at Poly and my husband made it to the TTC on his own, then gathered the rest of the crew to see me run past the front of Poly. From there, they were supposed to take a bus to AK and then split up - half outside DHS and half at the finish.

At Poly, neither an AK nor DHS bus materialized when expected, so they ended up ditching the plan. Half the group caught a bus to WWOS and the other half took the monorail to the finish. The WWOS half saw me run past two spots at WWOS - I was so happy to see them! I don't run with a phone so I was a little concerned when I didn't see them outside of AK, but WWOS turned out to be the perfect spot for some extra cheers!

This time around, I suggested they either just meet me at the finish or see if they can get over to WWOS and then to the finish.

Jeremy,

I am running the full also and was considering recommending the following to my family. If anyone can poke a hole in this plan, please do so:

1. Main Street USA in the MK in the early morning. It's really cool to be in the MK at 530am while it's still dark and when the runners show up between mile 5 and 6, it's pretty much a constant stream of runners after that. The sun starts to come up while you are there. In 2015 I ran the half on Saturday and found family lining the route up by Casey's. The next day on Sunday I went over for the full and watched the runners go by. Pretty cool. MK is only open up to the hub for spectators and eventually all must leave to prepare the park for morning opening.

2. Then family could catch a bus from MK over to AK Lodge and then get a bus to AK park and catch me coming out of the AK park which is around mile 14.

3. Then if they wanted they could bus back to AK Lodge and bus over to Epcot to see the finish. Using the runner text/time updates they'd have an idea of my pace and where to find me or when I might pass a specific place on the route.

Of course you can bus to the entrance of DHS as runners come out the front and hit the sidewalk along the canal toward the Swan/Dolphin but then it might be tough to get over to the Epcot parking lot in time for the finish.

I won't be fast but I intend to finish upright. This plan is assuming you don't have a car to get around. If your family has a car, they might be able to squeeze in DHS.

Hope this helps. Good luck to you.

Bama Ed

Are you staying at AKL? Is that why you're using AKL as a "hub" for transportation, so to speak?

Anyway. My dos pesos!

I'm not sure they'll be able to get a bus from MK to AKL at that point during the Marathon, unless they're willing to wait for quite a while. The only access to MK is via Monorail from the TTC during the race and the sweep point before MK is so the park is clear of race participants by 8 a.m.

I would have them watch you at Magic Kingdom, walk over to the Contemporary to have breakfast and then take a bus directly to Animal Kingdom from the Contemporary.

After Animal Kingdom, it's up to YOU where you want your spectators to see you. For me? I needed to see my husband around Mile 23-24 - it was an extremely emotional point for me, because I'd hit the "safe zone" and knew I was going to finish Dopey. I could always show him the pictures of me crossing the finish line - but I NEEDED a hug from him at Mile 24.

My parents saw me on Main Street and then not again until the Finish Line - and while I loved having them at the finish line of the Marathon, they both agreed that they wish they'd been able to see me and talk to me in other parts of the course rather than just waiting for me at the Finish Line.

While we have run plenty of the other Disney races, for the first time, our whole family is running the 5K this year. We submitted estimated finish times of 30 minutes. If I recall, there are 5 corrals for the 5K. Based on past years, where might that put us? How much time do they usually have between corrals being released in the 5K?

Good morning, runDisney all-stars! We are just 11 weeks from the WDW Marathon. The time is flying and I hope you all are too on your runs.

Today's Sundays are for Disney question: What country or countries (up to three) would you add to Epcot?

I would add:

- Spain
- Brazil
- Egypt

Epcot currently includes:

Great question! South America and Australia are the 2 continents not represented, so I would focus there. Brazil would be awesome, except they've kind of already taken over MK, so to me Australia/New Zealand/Tasmania would be a cool addition. Maybe build it as an island in the middle of the lake accessible only by boat. Think of the possibilities! Haka performances, America's Cup boat races in the lake, marsupial displays, kangaroo boxing matches, a quick service restaurant featuring vegemite sandwiches, a Warner Bros. marketing agreement to sell Tasmanian Devil merch, bathrooms plumbed to drain in the opposite direction, etc.

Are you staying at AKL? Is that why you're using AKL as a "hub" for transportation, so to speak?

Anyway. My dos pesos!

I'm not sure they'll be able to get a bus from MK to AKL at that point during the Marathon, unless they're willing to wait for quite a while. The only access to MK is via Monorail from the TTC during the race and the sweep point before MK is so the park is clear of race participants by 8 a.m.

I would have them watch you at Magic Kingdom, walk over to the Contemporary to have breakfast and then take a bus directly to Animal Kingdom from the Contemporary.

After Animal Kingdom, it's up to YOU where you want your spectators to see you. For me? I needed to see my husband around Mile 23-24 - it was an extremely emotional point for me, because I'd hit the "safe zone" and knew I was going to finish Dopey. I could always show him the pictures of me crossing the finish line - but I NEEDED a hug from him at Mile 24.

My parents saw me on Main Street and then not again until the Finish Line - and while I loved having them at the finish line of the Marathon, they both agreed that they wish they'd been able to see me and talk to me in other parts of the course rather than just waiting for me at the Finish Line.
This is terrific advice. Just know that the monorails get crazy crowded marathon morning.

While we have run plenty of the other Disney races, for the first time, our whole family is running the 5K this year. We submitted estimated finish times of 30 minutes. If I recall, there are 5 corrals for the 5K. Based on past years, where might that put us? How much time do they usually have between corrals being released in the 5K?
Did you get your waivers? I think the 5K bibs start with 40000 so that should give you an idea. 5K corrals are A-F and start every 8-10 minutes.

Plans for cheering on a marathon runner took time and a bunch of people, and numerous texts... My sister ran Dopey this past January, and when it came to cheer her on for the full we had a detailed plan of where to go- there are 5 of us in my family, so she had 4 cheerleaders and kept us up to date on her location via text. My brother met her at the TTC and gave her a gel. After she left my brother, he made his way over to the Poly. My parents and I saw her at the Magic Kingdom in front of the castle before she turned into tomorrowland and then we saw her again when she exited the castle. We quickly left the MK and took the monorail to the Poly in hopes to see her a 3rd time, we just made it to where my brother was when my sister got there, we gave her some more GU's and she foam rolled a little bit. The next time we planned on seeing her was at ESPN and MGM so we had time to kill and we grabbed breakfast at the Poly before going our separate ways.
My Mom and I had park tickets, so we went to MGM (to ride the rides and cheer her on) while my Dad and brother went to ESPN. My sister was texting my brother and I on her progress and found my Dad and brother easily at ESPN and handed her another gel. When she left ESPN, My Mom and I knew she would be at MGM next so we staked out a spot near the front of the park, we once again saw her and gave her another gel. The next time we had a chance to see her was at the finish line.
My Mom and I lucked out and a bus going to Epcot from MGM was there. We ran to one of the many finish areas from the EPCOT bus stop and just made it to see her. My Dad and brother also made it but they had time to get to the grandstand area.
It is doable to see your runner a lot on the marathon course, but be prepared to be running around and sending a lot of texts to coordinate locations.
My sister said that seeing us a lot during the race made running the race by herself a lot more fun and memorable, and we helped her finish her second Dopey Challenge with the extra gu's and the foam roller on the course.

Plans for cheering on a marathon runner took time and a bunch of people, and numerous texts... My sister ran Dopey this past January, and when it came to cheer her on for the full we had a detailed plan of where to go- there are 5 of us in my family, so she had 4 cheerleaders and kept us up to date on her location via text. My brother met her at the TTC and gave her a gel. After she left my brother, he made his way over to the Poly. My parents and I saw her at the Magic Kingdom in front of the castle before she turned into tomorrowland and then we saw her again when she exited the castle. We quickly left the MK and took the monorail to the Poly in hopes to see her a 3rd time, we just made it to where my brother was when my sister got there, we gave her some more GU's and she foam rolled a little bit. The next time we planned on seeing her was at ESPN and MGM so we had time to kill and we grabbed breakfast at the Poly before going our separate ways.
My Mom and I had park tickets, so we went to MGM (to ride the rides and cheer her on) while my Dad and brother went to ESPN. My sister was texting my brother and I on her progress and found my Dad and brother easily at ESPN and handed her another gel. When she left ESPN, My Mom and I knew she would be at MGM next so we staked out a spot near the front of the park, we once again saw her and gave her another gel. The next time we had a chance to see her was at the finish line.
My Mom and I lucked out and a bus going to Epcot from MGM was there. We ran to one of the many finish areas from the EPCOT bus stop and just made it to see her. My Dad and brother also made it but they had time to get to the grandstand area.
It is doable to see your runner a lot on the marathon course, but be prepared to be running around and sending a lot of texts to coordinate locations.
My sister said that seeing us a lot during the race made running the race by herself a lot more fun and memorable, and we helped her finish her second Dopey Challenge with the extra gu's and the foam roller on the course.
Sounds like you covered more distance than she did!

What a supportive bunch! My parents and friends did many of the same things, so I can only begin to imagine how much she appreciated seeing y'all at so many key points during the race!!

I am staying at AKL, so it would make sense for me to take a bus to AK to see him around mile 14? And then could I get another stop in before heading to Epcot for the finish?

I am staying at AKL, so it would make sense for me to take a bus to AK to see him around mile 14? And then could I get another stop in before heading to Epcot for the finish?
You might be able to make it to MGM/Hollywood Studies to see him there before he goes to the finish. If he's really fast and doesn't stop to take pictures then you might not be able to make it to both MGM and the finish. My sister stopped for pictures between MGM and the finish, and I happened to get a bus to Epcot right away, if she didn't stop and the bus wasn't there then I would not have see her finish. ESPN might be too close and hard to get to from AK, so maybe try MGM instead.

We are running the 1/2 on Saturday. I was thinking about going to watch the Marathon runners from the MK on Sunday. Can anyone go to the MK to watch? If yes, how do you get there? Do you have to have someone actually running the race?

We are running the 1/2 on Saturday. I was thinking about going to watch the Marathon runners from the MK on Sunday. Can anyone go to the MK to watch? If yes, how do you get there? Do you have to have someone actually running the race?
Yes. When I went to watch a race in MK I took a taxi to the Contemporary and walked from there (this was before the race started, so the roads weren't totally closed yet - might be more challenging once the race begins and traffic is restricted). Probably the easiest thing is to take the official race transportation to Epcot and take the monorail from there...the downside being that you'll be waiting awhile on Main Street for the runners to come through (we waited about 2 hours until we saw our runner). It was a fun but long morning!

You don't have to have someone running and you don't need a ticket to get in, since you'd be there before the park officially opens. They had bathrooms open and they were selling snacks and things like that, but we brought our own snacks.

I know I saw quite aways back that someone was renting out boats for the Illuminations cruise. I was wondering if there were any spots left? My girlfriend is going to be running the Goofy Challenge during Marathon Weekend and this would be a great treat for her!

I know I saw quite aways back that someone was renting out boats for the Illuminations cruise. I was wondering if there were any spots left? My girlfriend is going to be running the Goofy Challenge during Marathon Weekend and this would be a great treat for her!

@Keels is the person you are looking for

DD & DSiL are running the half. I have last year's course map but was wondering where the best place(s) to see them might be, how to get there from BWV and timing/transport from place to place.

TIA! :thanks:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter