Mammogram Call Back

lifesavacation

DIS Veteran
I had my mammogram today and got called back for a repeat mammogram and ultrasound. My appointment is next Tuesday. There’s a spot on the right breast the radiologist wants a better look at. I know there is nothing to be done here except wait it out and try to not stress. Hoping that someone can offer me reassurance.

I had my mammogram today and got called back for a repeat mammogram and ultrasound. My appointment is next Tuesday. There’s a spot on the right breast the radiologist wants a better look at. I know there is nothing to be done here except wait it out and try to not stress. Hoping that someone can offer me reassurance.

Getting my own mammogram on Friday.

Last time I went December of 2017 I got the dreaded call back 20 minutes after I left the office. I think I had 2 questionable spots. Scared the bejeezus out of me for the weekend.

Fortunately, I was able to get a work in appointment the next week at the place with the 3 d machine. Apparently I have dense breasts and all was clear.

Hope the same for you! (And me)

This time, I requested we start with the 3d machine.

I told my gyno about this at my appointment last week and he said it really is a very curable disease now.

I’m so sorry. With breast cancer touching so many lives around us, it’s natural for a little panic to set in when you get the dreaded call-back. I’ve known plenty of women who have been so solid and reassuring to others and then came apart at the seams when it was their own turn in the call-back hot seat. I’ve been through plenty of call backs, biopsies, visits with radiologists, etc. and the best advice I gave myself is what I’ll offer you: “Try to not worry until your doctor tells you it’s time to worry”. If you can try and keep that in your head, I’ll pray it offers you the grounded comfort it brought me. Hang in there.

I go every year and got my first call back this summer. I was totally freaked out.
As It turned out, it was nothing to worry about. I’m hoping it’s the same for you. :goodvibes

Do not freak out. I know its hard, but try to stay calm. I've had a couple callbacks, one of them they wanted to do a biopsy. Both times I was fine. Don't google anything. I have my mammogram soon & am dreading it, but since they've started doing 3D I haven't had any scares. Best wishes. Edited to add: didn't mean to yell lol.

Last edited:
I drove a friend down to her follow up "call back" appointment after her mammogram earlier this year and a couple weeks later she came with me to mine... same situation for both us and both times turned out to be nothing.

Regardless of how things turn out, everything will be ok. First of all, it's really great that you only have to wait a week in between your 1st mammogram and the 2nd one. I had a mammogram in March and their 1st follow up mammogram available was early May! And then had to wait 2 more weeks after that for a biopsy.

In my case, I did learn that I had cancer...DCIS (ductal carcinoma in situ). 98% survival rate. It was caught early. I did not need chemo or radiation. Had surgery 2.5 months ago. Margins were good and there was no cancer in the 3 lymph nodes they removed. I am basically back to normal activity levels and life is pretty darn good.

The odds are much more in favor of it not being anything. BUT if it is "something," then that is what mammograms are for...to catch something early. You're doing the right thing. Don't worry. It's going to be ok.

My wife was called back about 5 years ago for the same reason as you. It turned out to just be a shadow on the mammogram. Don't stress about it. Best of luck you'll be fine.

I was called back years ago after my very first one. I was a panicky mess, and it turned out to be nothing.

"A better look" means just that - using the more expensive tech to see closer. It could be dense tissue, a little calcium deposit, anything that they just need to look at up close to be sure it's OK.

This happened to me after my first mammogram. They found a mass in each breast. I went back for an ultrasound and biopsy and they were both fibroids. They tagged them so when they show on a mammogram they know they have been checked. I had yearly ultrasounds with my mammogram for 2 years after and now I just do the mammogram and see the breast doctor.

Good luck. I hope you get good news.

I was actually sent for biopsy twice after a mammogram and it was a false positive both times. Years later I still get a little twitchy every time I go for mine. I now go to a center that does any follow up images on the spot. You wait in the changing room until the radiologist has reviewed your images. Then they take you straight to another imaging room if needed. You either leave with an all clear slip or a referral for a biopsy or whatever. For anyone else reading, if you can find a center that operates like this, I highly recommend it.

I was called back years ago after my very first one. I was a panicky mess, and it turned out to be nothing.

"A better look" means just that - using the more expensive tech to see closer. It could be dense tissue, a little calcium deposit, anything that they just need to look at up close to be sure it's OK.
I was sent for biopsy after my first mammogram. My life stopped for 2 weeks. And here's the important part for the OP. It was fine. Odds are it will be fine. And if it isn't, you'll get through that too. :grouphug:

Last edited:
Agree with all PP's, usually it turns out to be nothing. But anything that they can't see definitively they want to get a better look. Swollen lymph nodes will even cause you to go in again.

I know it is stressful being on that end. Try and keep yourself occupied, and not worry as it is that is just wasted energy. You are doing everything you can. :flower3:

I was actually sent for biopsy twice after a mammogram and it was a false positive both times. Years later I still get a little twitchy every time I go for mine. I now go to a center that does any follow up images on the spot. You wait in the changing room until the radiologist has reviewed your images. Then they take you straight to another imaging room if needed. You either leave with an all clear slip or a referral for a referral, a biopsy or whatever. For anyone else reading, if you can find a center that operates like this, I highly recommend it.

I was sent for biopsy after my first mammogram. My life stopped for 2 weeks. And here's the important part for the OP. It was fine. Odds are it will be fine. And if it isn't, you'll get through that too. :grouphug:
:thumbsup2 This is exactly like the place I go to and it’s a much better system than getting “the call”. They told me about a third of the patients have an ultrasound after a mammogram but the percentage of times they find anything is way, way smaller.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter