Mammogram Call Back

I had calcifications, maybe they don't show up on ultrasound??

I think it's that ultrasound can't pick up the microscopic stuff that is the earliest stages. Also the ultrasound can't show an image of the whole breast.

I had my first mammo (and ultrasound) this year after having pain in my left breast for a few weeks. Turned out I had cysts in both my breasts, could not feel them at all (and I have super tiny breasts) and they couldn't tell what they were on the mammo. I have dense breasts and was told I'd have ultrasound and mammo every time (and I kinda question why I have to bother with the mammo if I'm getting an ultrasound anyway).

I have gotten a letter every year suggesting additional testing since I have dense tissue. When I asked my doctor about it, he said it wasn’t necessary since my mammograms have been normal and I don’t have a family history.* I’m worried now that maybe they missed something in previous years. Going forward, I will schedule the ultrasound as well.

* Apparently most people with breast cancer don’t have a family history so that’s a really dumb reason for my doctor to give me.

I have gotten a letter every year suggesting additional testing since I have dense tissue. When I asked my doctor about it, he said it wasn’t necessary since my mammograms have been normal and I don’t have a family history.* I’m worried now that maybe they missed something in previous years. Going forward, I will schedule the ultrasound as well.

* Apparently most people with breast cancer don’t have a family history so that’s a really dumb reason for my doctor to give me.
Do you get 3D?

Just popping in to offer up my support. No matter what, even if it does turn out to be cancer, the outcomes are so much better these days. I am in a different situation (I'm BRCA1+ which is extremely high risk - and much breast cancer was in my family) and had both my breast removed preventatively at age 32. With the wonderful plastic surgeon and reconstruction methods, nobody would ever know.

Most times these things turn out to be benign. Hopefully that is the case for you too. XOXO
Do you still need to get mammograms after reconstruction?

Just wanted to add: I got a call back after my first mammogram, and was extremely worried. Once at the call back, they told me that close to 1/4 of women get called back after their first one because there are things that may look odd the first time that once they've gotten the baseline established, aren't concerning.

What everyone has said is true. It is almost always nothing. My case happened to be cancer. stage 1 grade 1. But, since it was caught so early, I just had lumpectomy and radiation. It had not spread. The treatments were not as bad as I would have thought and I'm passed all of it. 4 years later and I'm still all clear. Just saying this to let you know, it will be ok. My prayers are with you!
This was me, too, but with Grade 3 (most aggressive), Stage 2, and two nodes positive - after previous mammogram 11 months earlier had been completely fine. It grew fast and furious so I was glad I'd caught it early, or idk what may have happened. Aggressive chemo and radiation, and 16 yrs later I am still doing well. We are fortunate we live in this day and age where screening, diagnosis and treatment is so fine tuned now. It is absolutely saving lives! Thanks to all the soldiers who worked to make this happen.

OP, keeping you in my thoughts and prayers that all will be well. And as others said, if it happens to be cancer, it will likely be caught early!

So sorry OP. I got that call the day before Thanksgiving a few years ago. Had such a miserable, horrible long weekend dreading the follow up - trying to keep a smiling face on for the family while having a ball of dread in the pit of my stomach. It did turn out to be ok, no issues so take heart and try to think positive thoughts. It's a lot more common than you'd think to get called back in.

The whole experience made me change my scheduling of my annual mammo. I now always request a Monday in January for my appointments so I don't have to spend another weekend or holiday fearing the worst.

Not a mammogram, but an MRI. There is a rare form of breast cancer that can lurk behind the Implants. Not sure what happens if you reconstruct with your own body fat, instead of implants.

I just had reconstructive surgery 3 weeks ago and the surgeon told me that the reason for the breast MRI in 3 years from now is to confirm that the silicone implants are not leaking. Because if they were leaking, you wouldn't be able to feel it. Breast MRIs are not required for saline implants.

The rare form of cancer that can lurk from implants was due to a particular type of textured implant that the FDA banned a little earlier this year. As a result, the manufacturer has recalled those implants and they aren't being used on new patients anymore.

So sorry OP. I got that call the day before Thanksgiving a few years ago. Had such a miserable, horrible long weekend dreading the follow up - trying to keep a smiling face on for the family while having a ball of dread in the pit of my stomach. It did turn out to be ok, no issues so take heart and try to think positive thoughts. It's a lot more common than you'd think to get called back in.

The whole experience made me change my scheduling of my annual mammo. I now always request a Monday in January for my appointments so I don't have to spend another weekend or holiday fearing the worst.

I think a lot could be done to minimize the worry on women. Waiting a full week in my case is too many days for a follow up. I’m fine during the day, but the worry is keeping me from sleeping even though I’m trying to tell myself this could be nothing and I’ll be fine. I did call my breast center to get more information about the appointment. Should I need a biopsy, they are scheduling out a week so that’s more time spent waiting. This is not very patient friendly scheduling.

I think a lot could be done to minimize the worry on women. Waiting a full week in my case is too many days for a follow up. I’m fine during the day, but the worry is keeping me from sleeping even though I’m trying to tell myself this could be nothing and I’ll be fine. I did call my breast center to get more information about the appointment. Should I need a biopsy, they are scheduling out a week so that’s more time spent waiting. This is not very patient friendly scheduling.
:grouphug:

I think a lot could be done to minimize the worry on women. Waiting a full week in my case is too many days for a follow up.
I totally agree. I think anxiously waiting is almost worse than being told you have X. At least with a diagnosis there is a plan, something to be done.

Hang in there. I’m currently waiting on results from tests I had yesterday. So I understand.

I totally agree. I think anxiously waiting is almost worse than being told you have X. At least with a diagnosis there is a plan, something to be done.

Hang in there. I’m currently waiting on results from tests I had yesterday. So I understand.

The waiting for test results is sheer torture.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter