Magical Express Ending Service

I think the stroller is a big deal for us, personally. It’s one thing if I could just have it waiting at the resort for me like we did previously. But now, needing to be there for in person pickup or grabbing at the airport, on top of the car seat I would Be bringing, along with our luggage - it doesn’t seem appealing. Yes people have done it before and will do it in the future, but I just like to travel as stress free and easy as can be. We felt Disney was handling the big things and we could focus on what we were going to do first, where we would eat...etc. This was also a huge benefit of the Minnie vans. While not as cheap or maybe even efficient as other services, it made life easy. And, as someone who hates to drive I just really loved not having the major anxiety inducer of driving in a strange place.
Well said. I've driven in Florida and trust me when I say it's not fun. That's all the area needs is inexperienced drivers on Interstate 4. The added cost and hassle makes it a game changer for our family. Last year we traveled to the Baseball Hall of Fame. Think long and hard about what we once had and how Disney deals the new hand. We all want simplicity and now dragging things to and from the airport is just an added pain I dont want to deal with.

I'm laughing at the "Disney is a premium product."

Not anymore!

I'd like to see how long a maker of costly vehicles would continue to sell those vehicles at their high price but start stripping away electric windows, electric locks, seat warmers...you know...all the perks you get in an expensive car.

Because that's what Disney has done, they've turned a top of the line car into the Flintstonemobile and convinced people it's still a top of the line car.
Well you may laugh all you want, look at their stock price. Also look at the price you pay per day vs a regional theme park (Cedar Fair/Six Flags). Then look what they charge for their room rates. After all of that, look at what you spend on merchandise and food. They are a premium product.

yes You can get entertained for less, you can vacation for less. Believe it or not, Disney sets the standard. So that makes Disney a Premium Product. Even if you say not anymore, some one else still pays the premium.

look some people only drink true Champagne, and some people can only afford California Sparking / Prosecco. Yeah the last two taste fine, but champagne is a premium because of the name.

But I don’t think it will, that’s what I mean. There are loads of people willing to go and stay onsite, even with less amenities. Think about how many people go that don’t follow any Disney social media. There are many first timers who are none the wiser and trust me, they will be paying to stay onsite.
When I was planning my trip the first time (2014), I knew nothing about staying on site and the perks it offered. So I didn't. I searched and searched and searched on various hotel booking sites for the cheapest stay and stayed there. I didn't even realize that there were hotels on site (and I had been down two times previously in 1998 and 2000).

So don't count on the average person saying - OH I need a place to stay, I'll pay thousands of dollars extra for no good reason. Because they won't. If they hear of perks, that will draw them in. Just pictures of the hotel rooms and a bus to and from the parks won't be enough to draw new people in (especially when so many local hotels offer shuttles to the parks).

I think the stroller is a big deal for us, personally. It’s one thing if I could just have it waiting at the resort for me like we did previously. But now, needing to be there for in person pickup or grabbing at the airport, on top of the car seat I would Be bringing, along with our luggage - it doesn’t seem appealing.

I understand needing the stroller and wheel chairs. What’s wild when you go to a Disney Park over seas, you don’t see them. It’s a novelty not a necessity.

just an observation and fact.

I do not think the Dolphin car rental counter has reopened yet. I know the Car Care center did offer a ride to your resort, but I do not think the Dolphin ever did. Convenience and cast vary. If you are staying at S/D, BW or YC/BC the the car drop off was followed by an easy walk to your resort. Prices varied depending on a variety of things. I've done one day rentals as cheap as $30 in Orlando.
Current trip research for Sept (value season) had rates without any discounts or codes from $25 for small cars, and $28/day for a small suv. Hoping with a rental/hotel package or discount, that it could be more like $20. But if it's like $45 for an uber, I'd personally probably choose uber over waiting for the rental, getting gas, dropping it off and such - if intending to do the rental just for the ride to and from airport for a WDW property. But we want the rental if staying offsite, which we haven't decided on yet.

I’m pretty bummed about ME, but I will say that my most recent trip in November I rented a car because of covid concerns. And I really liked it. However I was only traveling with one of my kids (I have three) and I had rented dvc so no parking fee.
Since we are a family of 5 and so limited with onsite options anyway I think we’ll be considering offsite for the next trip, especially since my kids are getting to the age where they might enjoy universal.
I also travel solo sometimes for runDisney events so not having ME for those trips will be a real bummer.

I am confused a bit on how renting a car works if your staying in a resort. So you guys rent them by the day or for your entire stay? I was trying to stomach the idea of renting a car THEN paying the resort parking fees on top. And if it's daily it sounds like a nightmare to deal with, so I have to be confused.

What’s wild when you go to a Disney Park over seas, you don’t see them. It’s a novelty not a necessity.

What's the size comparison between the 4 main parks at WDW and any of the overseas parks? Same walking distance? Same set up?

Here strollers are a necessity for many, many families. I could take my kids to Hershey Park (30 minutes from me), even 2 days in a row, and not need a stroller because the kids, even the 3 year old, could handle it. WDW is incredibly different and massive.

And I'm not sure what relevance comparing WDW to any of the overseas parks, since, to my knowledge, the announcement cancelling EMH and ME applies directly to services offered at WDW.

I understand needing the stroller and wheel chairs. What’s wild when you go to a Disney Park over seas, you don’t see them. It’s a novelty not a necessity.

But I also think that’s their lifestyle, in some part. They are cultures that simply walk more. I remember being in Sicily and being amazed at just how much you could do without ever getting in a car. I wish we had a lifestyle that allowed us to be more walkable in our day to day, but, most places in America are not set up like that and I’m not looking to start having my 2.5 year old start walking 7 miles a day on vacation. Nor do I want to carry him for that amount either LOL

That's how the WDW experience in general has been since reopening, but plenty of people are still there paying the same prices for less. And that's what Disney banks on. No matter how much they take away, people are still willing to pay. :)

I think you are not considering the fact that people are being understanding due to Covid. We just came back from a Christmas break trip and while we had fun, agreed we would not return until at least 2022 and that is only if things are returning to pre-Covid times.

I am confused a bit on how renting a car works if your staying in a resort. So you guys rent them by the day or for your entire stay? I was trying to stomach the idea of renting a car THEN paying the resort parking fees on top. And if it's daily it sounds like a nightmare to deal with, so I have to be confused.

It depends. Some people do rent for the whole time. Others might just rent for arrival day to get to the resort and maybe stop to pick up groceries. You might also do a short rental to go to Universal or Sea World for a day.

What's the size comparison between the 4 main parks at WDW and any of the overseas parks? Same walking distance?

well Shanghai Disneyland is about the size of Animal Kingdom minus the safari. Walking distance is relevant hard to compare due to planning.
But someone brought up the mention of flying/transport of a stoller.

We always rent a car, my DH hates the idea of being "stuck on property" it really stinks paying parking at the resort... it use to be free it was the first perk they removed... and I really dont understand why it's more expensive it the better resorts.
Last year the cars were super expensive so we ubered to the resort because the DME line was crazy long, used uber to go to walmart and friendlys/ idrive and door dash. It really was not bad. When I went to walmart it was just me so it was super cheap.

Well said. I've driven in Florida and trust me when I say it's not fun. That's all the area needs is inexperienced drivers on Interstate 4. The added cost and hassle makes it a game changer for our family. Last year we traveled to the Baseball Hall of Fame. Think long and hard about what we once had and how Disney deals the new hand. We all want simplicity and now dragging things to and from the airport is just an added pain I dont want to deal with.

This is what blows my mind. Not only the environmental factor of having more cars on the road but people who have no idea what they’re doing, stressed out and anxious, trying to get their family and mounds of luggage to their resort.

Not too magical Disney.

Can i ask - how much was this? it may have been answered in the ten plus pages so i apologize

Whenever I have priced out this option, it ends up just to be - more or less- a better deal to just get the car for the whole week - though maybe not at a deluxe hotel.

We find having a car = getting to/from the parks quite a bit faster, at least in the before times. IMO, time = $. Waiting for a bus isn't fun time. I'd rather be using my time more efficiently.

Just wondering how many people would have been willing to pay extra if they kept ME? I know I would have. Either way we will have to pay more so it may as well be with ME.
Pick me, pick me! We would still gladly pay extra to not have to worry about transportation on vacation at all... just like at Disneyland... oh wait, they already ended the shuttle service over there last year. Should have seen this sadness coming.

This is what blows my mind. Not only the environmental factor of having more cars on the road but people who have no idea what they’re doing, stressed out and anxious, trying to get their family and mounds of luggage to their resort.

Not too magical Disney.

It's a big loss for international visitors. As an example our last trip,We had to been travelling for 16hrs when we landed at around 7pm. Family of 5 with luggage (4 cases) (would we get it all in an UBer) else its a hire car, busy roads (driving on opposite side) everyone tired and irritable and getting dark. Not the best start to the vacation.

I do find it odd from reading the posts that those who rent cars and use car/bus services feel they won’t be impacted with higher costs/less availability for those services.

That is my concern. some WDW hotels have ample parking, but many do not, especially the deluxe hotels with DVC additions: CR, GF, WL, Poly, Bwk and the BC/YC have long standing parking shortages.

Then again, a number of those cars were likely convention/business travelers. If convention/big events don't pick up, the parking might not be an issue, except at the parks.

Maybe WDW will just entice people to use the buses by making early entry for bus riders only.

Not too magical Disney.
Lots of great and well thought replies. Vacations are for relaxing and not rasing the stress level. Lol. I cant even fathom what resort parking will look like. The casual visitor to Disney springs now dealing with all the OIA guest coming in by train. Just thinking of deer in the headlights. Now factor in bad weather and luggage on busses that weren't built for. I wonder if disney thought of this or if they had focus groups. Does disney even think about how this will affect residents of orlando.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter