• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Magic Kingdom - What a Mess!

Don't worry about tht - I will - who'd want to go right now and be faced with this.....

20120502-%28139%29.jpg

Me. I go almost every weekend and love to see the changes.

Give me the option of being at WDW with the construction or not being there at all and I know my answer!

I think first time and rare visitors might deal better with the construction because they dont have the same expectations - I know I dont - we have to go with the view that everything we ride/see/do is a bonus on top of just being there. We cant pin our vacation hopes on riding a certain ride or doing a specific thing - too much can go wrong.

I also think the scrims are amazing- yes it would be better to see the building but work has to happen - and what an amazing idea to have those instead of blank tarps and scaffold - it's pretty cool.

I do get it is disappointing to find closures and building work - but in the great big scheme of things it is a small price to pay for a park that is moving and growing and giving people in the future something to be excited about visiting.

Wish I could be there now to ride the Avenger monorail! Perhaps a little:offtopic:, but I thought that the guy speaking in the video sounded like he could do a great Kermit impersonation. As for construction walls, I too, enjoy checking out the plans that they put on them, but since they are there for such an extended period of time, I wish they resembled castle walls with occasional bushes in pots in front of them. It would make background shots more appealing. The screen covers on Main St. are a wonderful example of hiding necessary construction and still providing a nice backdrop.

Good grief! We aren't talking about the occasional refurb or a little construction. I never anticipated, it would be this bad. MK is a mess! No amount of spin, can make me excited about it.

I'm confused as to what people expected in Fantasyland at least with the expansion going on... walls will be up. And it's going on for so long they can't just not do anything else in the park.

If people are that upset by it, reschedule your trips. Not sure what else you expect Disney to do... especially since when repair work ISN'T done people are on here complaining about how bad everything looks!

It's like they can't win.

Me. Was this a trick question?

Me too! If seeing a few walls up while they rebuild a major portion of ONE out of FOUR plus parks upsets you, then you probably should stay home and wait until 2014, when all of this should be gone, to go.

We were at WDW in March, and thought seeing the new stuff go up behind the walls was pretty cool. And I'm not letting some walls and cranes keep me from planning another trip.:cool1:

I would love to know how anyone thinks they could do what they are doing, without the guests ever seeing any of the work being done.

I know that a lot of people found the Castle Cake to be "hideous", but look at it. It is a masterpiece of creativity, color and excitement. Anyone that bases the enjoyment of their trip on gazing on an artificial castle, should be able to transfer that to an artificial cake.

Disney must have spent millions on that overlay. It represented the time when Disney was willing to spend cash to excite the guests and give them something different to see. After the supposed "fail" of the cake, I doubt they would be willing to go that far out on a limb ever again for a group of people that cannot appreciate the fact the this is supposed to be a fun theme park, not a mausoleum.

To address more of the current construction...lets put a little perspective into this.

First of all the area that the New Fantasyland construction covers does not really have much impact on the rest of the park. The only area directly touched was Toontown and that was pitiful to begin with. With the twin Dumbo ride and the Goofy Coaster operating even that area has been somewhat revitalized. The wall surrounding the construction site pretty much completely covers the mess and if concentrating on what IS available to do it almost becomes invisible.

I was there just a couple of weeks ago and the only ride down in all of MK was BTMR, again a fun ride...but I hope no one spent thousands of dollars to just go on that. There is no view from the OLD skyway building that lets you see anything other than what is directly in front of you. The old Skyway exposed everyone to the behind the scenes view of roof tops and attraction buildings. Yet, no one complained about that.

The matched with building skim on the outside of the bakery on Main Street is a minor distraction at it's best. Realistically, how much time do you spend on Main Street other than a pathway to the heart of the park? If it blocks ones view to the castle it is only because one is standing behind it instead of stepping out into the street. And if you're shopping, then you are in the stores and it is completely out of view. I feel that one really has to work at it to make anything going on something that could potentially ruin a trip.

JMHO!

Give me the option of being at WDW with the construction or not being there at all and I know my answer!

I think first time and rare visitors might deal better with the construction because they dont have the same expectations - I know I dont - we have to go with the view that everything we ride/see/do is a bonus on top of just being there. We cant pin our vacation hopes on riding a certain ride or doing a specific thing - too much can go wrong.

I also think the scrims are amazing- yes it would be better to see the building but work has to happen - and what an amazing idea to have those instead of blank tarps and scaffold - it's pretty cool.

I do get it is disappointing to find closures and building work - but in the great big scheme of things it is a small price to pay for a park that is moving and growing and giving people in the future something to be excited about visiting.

I agree with both of these posts! We were there a week ago and had a blast! I can't believe people are so upset about the construction. In the whole scheme of life, in the face of truly tragic events, how can you waste your time crabbing about a temporary "eyesore" that doesn't HAVE to affect your vacation unless you allow it. Maybe a little perspective is what is needed here. I know everyone is entitled to their own opinions, and this just happens to be mine. :flower3:

I know 2 families that have put off or canceled trips due to the major construction at the magic kingdom. Thats their favorite park so they wont be going to alot more of its done.
And what is taking so long? Ive seen highrises put up faster. The question I would love to know is do they have construction going on when the park closes for the day? Sure would speed things up & less disruptive to guests. Or do they only work during the day to save $$$$$$$$$? :(

Maybe a wee bit off topic, but has anyone watched the video? we got halfway through it, and "topiary" had me and DH almost in tears. "topiary!....... topiary...... topiary!" :rotfl2:

Sometimes I think Disney can not win. People will be upset no matter what the do (or don't do). I would MUCH rather have construction going on and things being updates, expanded, and fixed then deal with messes, breakdowns, and no new things.

True to some extent. But what perpetuates that behavior (IMO) is the people that defend them blindly for everything they do.

They are a great company. They do more right than most. But EVERYBODY makes some mistakes.

I'm actually not saying this is one of them. But when they do slip up and you get the posts about "oh you're so silly...they never do anything wrong they are perfect" that's what tends to get people to post about the other extreme; that is "non-issues" that are blown out of proportion. Just my opinion FWIW.

Meh....It's the price of progress, get over it. In a few years you'll be glad they did all this.

People are being a little mean to the op. I totally understand why someone who is planning a special, rarely done trip would be disappointed. You're expecting magic, and you're seeing construction. Those of you who go frequently I don't expect to mind. You're used to being there, you're excited for change.
But if you don't go, and Disney is crazy expensive, (everything is nowadays), you want the most bang for your buck, you want your child to only see the magic.
Give this guy a break. It's not unwillingness to see fun or have fun or whatever, I think they have a valid point. I'm still going in the fall.... But it's a choice I made.

As much as I'm looking forward to the new expansion, this place is a MESS!! We were just there 2 weeks ago...I guess its the price to pay to have a bigger and better Magic Kingdom!! But speaking of price, my family thought that since it is such a mess there, they should have been offering discounted tickets. I mean, it certainly doesnt feel magical when you are heading up Main Street and want to see the castle for the first time, but can only see half of it because they are redoing one of the buildings and its contruction wall facade juts out too far. And forget about behind the castle and Storybook Circus...OY!!! So I totally see that point of losing some of the magic, it can distract from the big picture.

But the work needs to get done and it'll be worth it in the end! :goodvibes Cant wait to embrace the magic of what's to come...and when you're in Disney, you'll have fun whether the mess is there or not!

On a side note...I do think there is something cool to be said for getting to see the construction. I took pix of Beasts Castle and Prince Eric's castle. I think it'd be cool one day to show my DD (who is 2) the pix when she gets older and tell her she got to be there when they were making this! Lets face it, she's only 2 and will never remember the mess part of this. The new MK will be like to her what the old MK was to us. We didnt see it being constructed, we just knew the amazingness was there. When my DD saw that they were even building castles for Ariel and Belle, she squealed with delight!! Those are the moments I live for in WDW.

It makes me think, imagine I got to see the castle being built or something?? That would have been so cool...I watch the old videos of the parks being built all the time, its a modern marvel, amazing to see. It's inspiring!

I think first time and rare visitors might deal better with the construction because they don't have the same expectations - I know I dont - we have to go with the view that everything we ride/see/do is a bonus on top of just being there. We cant pin our vacation hopes on riding a certain ride or doing a specific thing - too much can go wrong.

I think all first time visitors have the expectations that the 'magical theme park' they have been 'sold' in the glossy adverts and pictures isn't going to look like a building site.

Nowhere on Disney website as far as I can see does it warn visitors that there is considerable major construction going on in Magic Kingdom and the park is not looking its best at that moment - and at the very least they should do this to be fair to those 'excited' first (and maybe only) time visitors.

Whichever way you cut it - however brilliant it is going to be for future visitors, however much people salute the progression that Disney are making, and however 'great' Disney are at continually developing their parks - people planning a visit should be clear that Magic Kingdom looks a big fat mess right now - end of!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter