Magic Kingdom After Hours Coming Back!

I agree on the characters. But Disney isn't going to add characters, keep the price low (as in half of what was originally offered) and also keep the attendance low.

I agree on the characters. But Disney isn't going to add characters, keep the price low (as in half of what was originally offered) and also keep the attendance low.

Characters are very labor cost intensive for the number of guests they can see...you would probably need to triple the price to get Disney to do a character focused limited event in the park to make it worth it for Disney...I mean, 2 character in a greet (prince/princess) plus at least 1 handler for each meet and 1 photographer (so 4 paid employees min) that can see 1-3 people/minute of 60-180 people/hour tops...4 hours and you can only have an event for 750 people if they are gonna see every character. How many characters (at that number) would Disney want to pay to put out? There's a reason the Villains event in DHS is popular and done by Disney - it gets people to pay a full day admission + $129 (so $179-$229/person) to put them in a room, feed and beverage them (not a huge expense), and let them greet 6-10 characters all together for 2 hours. Think of the price if you have to have more characters for more time in a closed park?

I was one of the crowd that felt Disney was trying to charge for EMH and I boycotted this with my wallet as did many others.

I have very mixed feelings about this coming back. First, for $149 per person, I'm not doing this because to me, it feels like being charged for EMH that is limited to "x" amount of people. I don't feel EMH are so crowded that this is necessary. I've been to the really late EMH and had the park to myself practically.

However, bring the price point down and I feel it's more in line with a party event. I'm not really sure why the psychological justification with the price. It's like at $149 it makes me mad, but at $100 I feel it's justified and that shouldn't be true. If I feel it's charging for EMH at $149, I should feel the same regardless of the price point.

Maybe if I didn't have an annual pass it wouldn't bother me as much because instead of paying for a 1 day ticket I would perhaps just purchase this instead. It's $50 more than a 1 day ticket, but you get snacks and low crowds. So as a day guest, perhaps this is a much more welcomed option, but for myself, I don't see the appeal or other annual passholders.

Characters are very labor cost intensive for the number of guests they can see...you would probably need to triple the price to get Disney to do a character focused limited event in the park to make it worth it for Disney...I mean, 2 character in a greet (prince/princess) plus at least 1 handler for each meet and 1 photographer (so 4 paid employees min) that can see 1-3 people/minute of 60-180 people/hour tops...4 hours and you can only have an event for 750 people if they are gonna see every character. How many characters (at that number) would Disney want to pay to put out? There's a reason the Villains event in DHS is popular and done by Disney - it gets people to pay a full day admission + $129 (so $179-$229/person) to put them in a room, feed and beverage them (not a huge expense), and let them greet 6-10 characters all together for 2 hours. Think of the price if you have to have more characters for more time in a closed park?

Characters are a more expensive option in the parks to an extent...

But you're talking minimum wage. There is nobody under the head with 28 years experience...

But...at the buffets and special bookings...it's all profit. Like fishing with dynamite.

I completely understand your point here...just don't want anyone thinking that characters aren't huge profit generators...they are.

I was one of the crowd that felt Disney was trying to charge for EMH and I boycotted this with my wallet as did many others.

I have very mixed feelings about this coming back. First, for $149 per person, I'm not doing this because to me, it feels like being charged for EMH that is limited to "x" amount of people. I don't feel EMH are so crowded that this is necessary. I've been to the really late EMH and had the park to myself practically.

However, bring the price point down and I feel it's more in line with a party event. I'm not really sure why the psychological justification with the price. It's like at $149 it makes me mad, but at $100 I feel it's justified and that shouldn't be true. If I feel it's charging for EMH at $149, I should feel the same regardless of the price point.

Maybe if I didn't have an annual pass it wouldn't bother me as much because instead of paying for a 1 day ticket I would perhaps just purchase this instead. It's $50 more than a 1 day ticket, but you get snacks and low crowds. So as a day guest, perhaps this is a much more welcomed option, but for myself, I don't see the appeal or other annual passholders.

Great insight...

For me...it seemed like they want to overall shrink the standard park hours on their $115 average daily tickets...so they trimmed regular hours to charge for a E-Ride night that was 12 times the E-Ride night price.

Tomato/potato...same stadium, different section ;)

I just hope they don't end evening EMH entirely if this ever goes into effect on a regular basis. It's the only reason I stay onsite, as I already get parking through passholder benefits.

Yes, that part also made me chuckle.

Back because of popular demand? Maybe by the Disney accountants.....

Our family still wouldn't be interested in this even at a lower price point.
For one thing, we don't need to ride attractions over and over.

Also, by getting to the MK at opening, using fastpasses and our knowledge of the park, we can pretty much do what
we want in the first three hours before the place gets crowded. It would just be double-paying for things we can do within the park's normal business hours.

Back because of popular demand? Maybe by the Disney accountants.....

Our family still wouldn't be interested in this even at a lower price point.
For one thing, we don't need to ride attractions over and over.

Also, by getting to the MK at opening, using fastpasses and our knowledge of the park, we can pretty much do what
we want in the first three hours before the place gets crowded. It would just be double-paying for things we can do within the park's normal business hours.

I so wish I were like you and the thousands of other families that do it the same way you do. I can't get out of bed before noon...

It's those darn blackout curtains at the resort for me!! I try and sleep with the curtains open, but my husband falls asleep after me and closes them. I think I'm rolling out of bed at 6 or 7 and I look at the clock and it's past 10! :headache:

Thanks to whoever found this thread for me. :) Now I just gotta stalk this thread for dates.

Last edited:
The last night of it was noticeably more than the earlier nights. I think people didn't' have time to learn the event was even an option and near the end they did and whole famliies (not like family of 4 but groups of 8 or 12) attended. It really changed the atmosphere and some people were acting very entitled that last night. It was also a bigger mix of ages but not to the point I woudl say it was a lot of kids.

I think they learned a lot, the parties seemed to be priced based on feedback they got from the first attempt. I think this next iteration if they advertise and handle it right will be a smashing success. they also need to do somethign special like get some characters just out in the park and not do it meet and greet style. It's the perfect atmosphere and crowd size to really make it where the characters live and play too.
These extras are great, but middle class has a hard time affording them.

So it would be nice if the OP or someone else with access to the travel agent website came back & gave a little more info. Like was the website talking about the DVC after hours event & the OP misinterpreted? Or was there any other little tidbit of info like possible timing of these events ex: "returning late spring 2017".

Come on OP, give us something more to talk about!! :rotfl2:

I haven't been on the boards in awhile but remember EMH being a free perk given to those staying on siteI also remember E nights costing us about $15 bucks a person as earlier perk of staying on site. Times have certainly changed. $149 a person sounds ludicrous unless I am not understanding this properly.

I haven't been on the boards in awhile but remember EMH being a free perk given to those staying on siteI also remember E nights costing us about $15 bucks a person as earlier perk of staying on site. Times have certainly changed. $149 a person sounds ludicrous unless I am not understanding this properly.

- E Nights were as you say and the beginning of resort exclusive hours
- EMH were added in later years and seem to have been reduced in number and hours. They still exist but certainly not much.
- After Hours is a pay EMH that included unlimited ice cream & drinks and open to anyone, not just Disney hotel guests.
One can enter at 7 pm, see night time entertainment etc and then at park closing 10 or 11, have the park for 3 hours.
There is a very very low cap but since the price was a little high and they never PR'd it, few takers.
Rarely did they sell/comp much more than around 10% of potential.
They added AP and DVC discounts and by the end, all tickets were cut about in half.
We enjoyed it and would do again for the lower price.

We went twice with a DVC discount ( so tickets were $75). Loved it, everything about it, really. It was a little creepy with no people there, but all the CMs were very nice. No one waiting for buses to head back. I think there were 6 people on our bus back to AKV at 1:30. DH has asked me at least three times since if we can do this again in May....maybe...just maybe...

I hope they do it in January, especially with the park closing at 8 on the nights I am going.

I know I don't speak for everyone but I feel like by giving Disney and inch they take the mile when people pay for things like this. Between parties in the holiday season and these things in off peak times, park hours for regular Joe's (who BTW, still paid for their day there) get cut more and more. This is one of those paid extras that can have an effect on my trip.

I remember when I got to do this for less than $20 a person and danced with Mickey in front of the Castle and had the time of my life. E Nights were awesome.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter