Magic Key sales are back, 3/5/2024!

it's really crazy to me that these are in such demand that they "sell out" (whatever selling out means for a virtual product that goes on your phone). For years, the annual pass was available 365 days a year, why can they no longer do that? Covid is no longer an excuse. I won't even begin to mention the reservation system (oops).

Can someone explain what the process is when buying it online? Would I have to go somewhere in person on my first visit to activate or is it now all done through the app and I could just show up and use it on the first day?

Can someone explain what the process is when buying it online? Would I have to go somewhere in person on my first visit to activate or is it now all done through the app and I could just show up and use it on the first day?

There's a lot of info in that guide about purchasing.

Once the purchase has gone through, you can make reservations immediately. The pass itself is not active until you scan into the parks though. (So if you purchase a pass on March 5th, but don't visit the parks until a later date, the pass is active from the day you first visit and not from March 5th. Meaning your expiration date is a year from the first visit. All that happens on your first visit with the pass is that the CM will take your photo at the gates and that's it. No other fuss needed.)

I missed the sale last time, does anyone have pricing info for each of the key levels?

it's really crazy to me that these are in such demand that they "sell out" (whatever selling out means for a virtual product that goes on your phone). For years, the annual pass was available 365 days a year, why can they no longer do that? Covid is no longer an
They limit the number of passes/keys, and the dates they can be used, so people without them can still visit the parks and have an enjoyable experience.

So are MK holders about to have a harder time finding dates or is Disney Planning to let me guests in?

I think it's sold out already. I see no links to be able to purchase online. Perhaps you can still call?

For locals who can go to the parks tomorrow, the easiest way to purchase a MK is to enter the park and upgrade whatever ticket you used to get into the park.

In January, the in-person ticket booth MK queue was over seven hours . There were people who wanted to upgrade their So Cal ticket to an annual pass. CM told them to make a reservation for one of the parks, walk inside the gate then go on their app to upgrade. For the people who just came in person to purchase a MK, they told them to purchase a single day ticket on their phone, make a reservation for that day, go into the parks and upgrade from their app. If your ticket is active (ie. you used it to enter the park), it takes seconds to upgrade to a MK. The value of your ticket is applied towards the MK.

The only caveat is that your MK becomes active on that day and expires one year later.

ETA: If you are going in person, be careful about using the DTD parking lot. Most people thought they would be there for a couple of hours. No one thought it would take that long and that they would have to pay a small fortune for parking.

Still not worth it for us. The break even on the most expensive one with the fewest black out dates is still a lot. If we didn't already have WDW and Universal Orlando passes and own DVC at Boardwalk at WDW it might be different. Plus, we don't have enough direct DVC points to stay that often at the Disneyland Villas.

Still not worth it for us. The break even on the most expensive one with the fewest black out dates is still a lot. If we didn't already have WDW and Universal Orlando passes and own DVC at Boardwalk at WDW it might be different. Plus, we don't have enough direct DVC points to stay that often at the Disneyland Villas.
This is amazing to me because Disney said that they want a better "attendance mix" at Disneyland and yet, the pricing and blackout dates make it not worth it for non-locals. I suppose they are trying to optimize the attendance mix by limiting AP sales but that only means it's just as hard for non-locals too. I wish they set aside some AP inventory for DVC members, kind of like what WDW does with the Sorcerer's pass.

They limit the number of passes/keys, and the dates they can be used, so people without them can still visit the parks and have an enjoyable experience.
So by your logic, when they didn’t limit annual passes for years, Disneyland was a hellscape where everyone was miserable. No, that’s obviously not true.

It’s that whole favorable mix thing, and their obsessive need for the reservation system.. it has nothing to do with an enjoyable experience.

It’s crazy, is what it is. I’m not getting one, because I live in Chicago, and the cost, as someone above says, doesn’t make sense. I had one a few years ago (I lived in Los Angeles at the time)and I’m glad I don’t have to deal with the queue just for a chance to give them money nowadays, or even worse, have to wait months for the privilege of giving Disney money.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter