Magic Bands At Aulani?

Paul Stupin

New DVC Member
Curious what the latest info is on the use of magic bands at Aulani. I know some people have had success, but they didn’t work for us last May, and since we’re going back at the end of November I’m hoping they‘ve been more thoroughly adopted. Are they being sold on property? Can the front desk activate them? Or is it just folks using their old magic bands and somehow getting them to work?

Any fresh intel would be much appreciated!

Curious what the latest info is on the use of magic bands at Aulani. I know some people have had success, but they didn’t work for us last May, and since we’re going back at the end of November I’m hoping they‘ve been more thoroughly adopted. Are they being sold on property? Can the front desk activate them? Or is it just folks using their old magic bands and somehow getting them to work?

They worked for us in late August almost everywhere. One or two locations ,haven’t been updated with readers, so no magic bands or Apple Pay at those locations, but pretty much everywhere I tried they could use them.

The cast members all seemed used to them. They worked for the rooms and charges at restaurants.

I was using a band ordered from Disney.com, which I linked to my account. Didn’t see any for sale at Aulani.

Don’t know how helpful my comment will be, but here’s my 2 cents.

Just got back from Aulani. When we checked in the cast member asked if I brought my magic band. (Guess I didn’t do my research very well, I didn’t realize Disney World magic bands could be used at Aulani.) She said she asked because she could see I had quite a few bands. To me the interesting thing was that she could see I had magic bands. I’ve always wondered what info cast members can see when they pull up a reservation.

Do you use the same email address for everything? My Disney Experience, DVC, and Aulani? Did you link your Aulani reservation using that email address at DisneyAulani.com?

We used them in September, for everything - room door, charging, parking garage and no one was unsure about them. We saw lot's of other guests wearing them too. When we arrived they were being sold in the gift shop, but two days later they were all gone. I asked the cast member about them and she told me they had to remove them from sale, as they were pre-COVID stock and they realised the batteries were dead in them.

We used them in September, for everything - room door, charging, parking garage and no one was unsure about them. We saw lot's of other guests wearing them too. When we arrived they were being sold in the gift shop, but two days later they were all gone. I asked the cast member about them and she told me they had to remove them from sale, as they were pre-COVID stock and they realised the batteries were dead in them.
Great intel! So glad we’ll be able to use them!

That’s so interesting! I follow someone on social media who posted they were in the shops mid Sep. We arrived a couple days later and none to be found. We asked the cast member about it and they told us that the magic bands had to be removed from the floor as they weren’t always working with the systems correctly and aulani just wasn’t ready for them yet because the hotel and bands weren’t communicating right yet. Nothing about battery and they made it clear it was more about things not working right with the bands in general. I even asked about using our own (which we had packed) and he said not to bother!

she told me they had to remove them from sale, as they were pre-COVID stock and they realised the batteries were dead in them.
I don't believe there is currently anything at Aulani that relies on the "long range" RFID function, which requires a good battery, so I'm not really sure why they blamed that. Perhaps so that people don't get upset if they later use the MB at WDW?

I don't believe there is currently anything at Aulani that relies on the "long range" RFID function, which requires a good battery, so I'm not really sure why they blamed that. Perhaps so that people don't get upset if they later use the MB at WDW?

Ooh maybe - I did specifically say that I was wanting to buy one as a gift for someone going to WDW...

Most likely, the cast members working there have no idea why they were asked to remove the Magic Bands from the store. Disney said to do it, so they did it. When customers ask about the Bands, the cast members can't just say that they don't know, so they think of a reason for the change.

I have MagicBands that are over five years old, and they still work, so I'm not sure if the cast member is correct.

With all the conflicting info I’m hearing, I just hope the magic bands work when we get there late November.
There really isn't conflicting info. MB work at Aulani. It's just that some of the CM's haven't gotten the message.

There really isn't conflicting info. MB work at Aulani. It's just that some of the CM's haven't gotten the message.
We didn’t buy the magic band +, since they sound like a pain to charge every night, but there are certainly interactive opportunities should Disney ever want to go that route at Aulani.

Same old magic band. I've been using them on many trips there since Nov 2020. This month is the first time the staff knew all about them.

Same old magic band. I've been using them on many trips there since Nov 2020. This month is the first time the staff knew all about them.
I never bothered during previous visits because whenever I mentioned the words “magic band” to someone who worked there, I would get a blank look. I also tried to open our door with the app last May, which was supposed to work, but it didn’t.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter