Magic band shipping is bananas!

mrzrich

DIS Veteran
I live in Florida. About 75 minutes from Davenport FL, which is the original shipping point of the Magic Bands. My order shipped 9 days ago. First they went to Illinois! They have been sitting in Atlanta for the last 4 days. I think that they might actually be on the move again because they were scanned by someone in Atlanta a 4 this morning.

At least you can track yours! My AP band shipped on Monday and it still shows tracking not available

At least you can track yours! My AP band shipped on Monday and it still shows tracking not available

I'm in the same boat, they shipped Tuesday and as of this morning there is still no info available. I'm not panicking, they will be here, but still.....

I leave on Wednesday so I'm hoping it will be here but it could be close. Our hotel ones arrived exactly a week from the shipping notification email, and that was over New Years, so hopefully this will be similar timeframe

I leave on Wednesday so I'm hoping it will be here but it could be close. Our hotel ones arrived exactly a week from the shipping notification email, and that was over New Years, so hopefully this will be similar timeframe
You do know your hotel bands and your AP bands are interchangeable, right?

I live in Florida. About 75 minutes from Davenport FL, which is the original shipping point of the Magic Bands. My order shipped 9 days ago. First they went to Illinois! They have been sitting in Atlanta for the last 4 days. I think that they might actually be on the move again because they were scanned by someone in Atlanta a 4 this morning.

Have you tracked other things you've ordered? This is typical and has to do with where the hubs are located. I once had something go from a city west of me to a city east of me...they literally had to drive right past my city.

I received a notice that my Magic bands had shipped and they arrived two days later

When mine shipped earlier this month it should of taken 2 days from Florida to where I am it took 8. Like other people have said they use the cheapest service and I think usps has a terrible tracking system anyway

You do know your hotel bands and your AP bands are interchangeable, right?

Yes, I go to 1.0 bands for my hotel stay but really wanted a 2.0. It took guest services a bit to figure out why it wouldn't let me select my AP band and by then it was cutting it close to make it here

Also, I checked my tracking again today and it shows up as information just received today, not even the package, even though my email that it shipped was from Monday

I got the notification from Disney Monday morning at 5AM. Just today finally got something showing up on USPS. They haven't left the facility yet.

It's because they use a shipping partner. OSM picks up the packages in Florida, they get trucked to the main OSM facility in Illinois, then they go to the correct USPS Hub. This really delays the process.

For example, had my two packages (shipped Jan 13 and Jan 14 respectively) been shipped directly with USPS instead of shipping partner, they would have gone Davenport, FL-Jacksonville, FL - Atlanta, GA - My local post office and would have been here in three-four days. Instead, it's been 7 days and they're just now leaving OSM.

I actually called OSM and before I could even give her a tracking number she asked "Is it a Disney package?" That leads me to believe this is a pretty common issue for them. I don't understand why they just don't use USPS directly and cut out the middle man. It would save SO much time.

Mine shipped on the 6th. Sitting since the 11th. Called Disney, she said they weren't "sitting" but shipping place doesn't post tracking on them. It's the 20th still haven't received. Leave in 14 days. Not too happy. It's never taken more than a week.

They ARE sitting. My package was scanned into Atlanta 4 days ago and scanned out of Atlanta this morning

It's because they use a shipping partner. OSM picks up the packages in Florida, they get trucked to the main OSM facility in Illinois, then they go to the correct USPS Hub. This really delays the process.

For example, had my two packages (shipped Jan 13 and Jan 14 respectively) been shipped directly with USPS instead of shipping partner, they would have gone Davenport, FL-Jacksonville, FL - Atlanta, GA - My local post office and would have been here in three-four days. Instead, it's been 7 days and they're just now leaving OSM.

I actually called OSM and before I could even give her a tracking number she asked "Is it a Disney package?" That leads me to believe this is a pretty common issue for them. I don't understand why they just don't use USPS directly and cut out the middle man. It would save SO much time.
It's call an insertion discount. They pay less in postage when they drop the packages closer to the destination.

It's call an insertion discount. They pay less in postage when they drop the packages closer to the destination.

But they still have to pay the shipping partner correct? I mean, I'm sure Disney has it figured down to the penny on what is cheapest but it's really annoying to know that it takes longer to get the Magic bands than it does for a first class postcard to travel from New York to LA.

But they still have to pay the shipping partner correct? I mean, I'm sure Disney has it figured down to the penny on what is cheapest but it's really annoying to know that it takes longer to get the Magic bands than it does for a first class postcard to travel from New York to LA.
Generally speaking, the shipping partner makes their money by combining the shipment with others and qualifying for lower rates.

I live in Key West, FL. I don't get why it comes out of Davenport and goes all the way up to Illinois and is now coming back south from ATL. My Magic Bands would have been here today if they didn't go through that whole process. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter