Looking for advice

alisonh

Mouseketeer
So I know that it will be wildly personal but I am looking for OPINIONS. DH and I are thinking that we would like to take another trip to WDW soon. Last time we stayed off property except for the last night when we were at (is it POP or ALL STARS?) Movies. We were BEYOND impressed with staying on property, although the room was tight, especially after being in a HUGE condo. We are used to vacationing in condo's as we have a time share. We don't have any extra $ but think we can swing it if we watch out pennies (and no, we don't even HAVE a credit card so it would be a cash trip not getting into debt) We have one child, he would be 4. What do you think would be the best deal to look at? Is free dining the way to go or a different deal? Is there a hotel that has larger rooms or at least larger beds (queens would be nice vs a full) Also, what is MNSSHP really like? How do we find more info on that? Is it a seperate ticket how does it all work? TIA!

Why not try one of the moderate resorts. The rooms are larger than the value resort and you'll have more anemities than a value room also. Do you have a certain budget in mind?

So I know that it will be wildly personal but I am looking for OPINIONS. DH and I are thinking that we would like to take another trip to WDW soon. Last time we stayed off property except for the last night when we were at (is it POP or ALL STARS?) Movies. We were BEYOND impressed with staying on property, although the room was tight, especially after being in a HUGE condo. We are used to vacationing in condo's as we have a time share. We don't have any extra $ but think we can swing it if we watch out pennies (and no, we don't even HAVE a credit card so it would be a cash trip not getting into debt) We have one child, he would be 4. What do you think would be the best deal to look at? Is free dining the way to go or a different deal? Is there a hotel that has larger rooms or at least larger beds (queens would be nice vs a full) Also, what is MNSSHP really like? How do we find more info on that? Is it a seperate ticket how does it all work? TIA!

If you want queen beds, your choices would be the Coronado Springs Resort (a moderate resort), any of the deluxes or renting points from A DVC member (the values and other moderates do not have queen size beds).

Yes, MNSSHP is a separate ticket. We have never done it, but are considering it for this trip if there is a night open during our free dining days.

You have to realize that when you get free dining, you are paying full rate for the room.

If it is just two of you, it would be better to go with a room discount.

If there is a larger family, the FD would work out better. You have to realize that FD isn't really free - you are paying more in other places for things.

For instance, I go by myself. To get free dining for one person and then pay double occupancy for myself would be too much - it is better for me to get the room discount.

You have to run the numbers and figure out what works best for you.

We have done free dining and the buy 4 days, get 3 free; we found both to be good deals. I think we saved more with the free dining, though could be wrong. Yeah, helpful, I know! :goodvibes

If you are looking for queen beds, Coronado Springs would be the way to go. If you are looking more to save money, then I would recommend Pop. While it is more cramped and only full beds, I think it is a very nice value resort and extremely child friendly. We had a great time at it and would stay there again in a heartbeat. Our next trip however, we are doing CSR as my parents will be with us and I think it is much more up their alley. Plus we "plan" to spend more time at the resort relaxing; CSR definitely seems to have that relaxing type feel.

Good luck on making your decision. In my opinion, it doesn't matter where you stay on property, it will be the right decision. They are all amazing resorts in my book!:thumbsup2

Larger beds would require staying at least at Coronado Springs or one of the Deluxe resorts. The rooms would be a little bigger this way as well.
You need to price out both Free Dining and any room discounts that are available.
In your case, Free Dining would equal the following discounts:
Value (Quick Service Dining Plan) $32x2+$10=$74/night. You would be paying a minimum of $82-$92/night for your room.

Moderate or Deluxe (Regular Dining Plan) $42x2+$12= $96/night
Minimum Room Cost for Moderate = $154/night
Min. Room cost for Deluxe = $240/night (a percentage discount is often a better deal for Deluxes, especially the more expensive ones)

If you would definitely get the Dining Plan and use all the entitlements, then it might be a good deal for you, but you really should check all the discounts available before settling on any discount. People rave about Free Dining, but it's not always the best choice.
Before settling on Free Dining you may also want to make sure that you'll be able to fill all your Table Service dining allotments. The longer you wait to book Advanced Dining Reservations the more limited availability becomes. You don't want to end up with unused credits.

You have to realize that when you get free dining, you are paying full rate for the room.

If it is just two of you, it would be better to go with a room discount.

If there is a larger family, the FD would work out better. You have to realize that FD isn't really free - you are paying more in other places for things.

For instance, I go by myself. To get free dining for one person and then pay double occupancy for myself would be too much - it is better for me to get the room discount.

You have to run the numbers and figure out what works best for you.

I do understand that, because although in theory "free" is better many times that is not the case. I guess I am overwhelmed by the whole thing and wondered what others thought. It would be DH, myself, and DS (age 4). I know there is the package where kids stay/play free w/adult so I am not sure if that is better deal for us or what kinds of other discounts are available.

Larger beds would require staying at least at Coronado Springs or one of the Deluxe resorts. The rooms would be a little bigger this way as well.
You need to price out both Free Dining and any room discounts that are available.
In your case, Free Dining would equal the following discounts:
Value (Quick Service Dining Plan) $32x2+$10=$74/night. You would be paying a minimum of $82-$92/night for your room.

Moderate or Deluxe (Regular Dining Plan) $42x2+$12= $96/night
Minimum Room Cost for Moderate = $154/night
Min. Room cost for Deluxe = $240/night (a percentage discount is often a better deal for Deluxes, especially the more expensive ones)

If you would definitely get the Dining Plan and use all the entitlements, then it might be a good deal for you, but you really should check all the discounts available before settling on any discount. People rave about Free Dining, but it's not always the best choice.
Before settling on Free Dining you may also want to make sure that you'll be able to fill all your Table Service dining allotments. The longer you wait to book Advanced Dining Reservations the more limited availability becomes. You don't want to end up with unused credits.

Thanks! That is def. something to consider, I remember trying to make reservations last time and we only wanted a few character meals, what a headache!

In terms of beds, I wouldn't be picky... I would sleep in my sleeping bag in the car if I had to just to go to Disney, DH on the other hand wants to spend time at the hotel, pools, relaxing, and was very UNsatisfied with the room we had in a value, although he loved the idea and he is the one who has said next time has to be on property.

Thanks for the price break down. I am not sure what all the dining plan includes, but I know last time we were there we had a condo off property. We ate breakfast in our rooms, brought snacks, sandwiches, etc. Bought some food to share, drinks, etc. Went home for a nap/swim mid afternoon then back in the evening for dinner in the parks. If we did not have a condo with the kitchen it might limit the foods more and mean more eating out etc.

I do understand that, because although in theory "free" is better many times that is not the case. I guess I am overwhelmed by the whole thing and wondered what others thought. It would be DH, myself, and DS (age 4). I know there is the package where kids stay/play free w/adult so I am not sure if that is better deal for us or what kinds of other discounts are available.

If you know your travel dates, go on the Disney site and click on Special Offers and simply price out the resort(s) you are considering. Price the same vacation out with each offer. I always do that and see what is the better deal for our family.

Since you have a son that's 4, I think you should look into the CBR. It's great for kids! No queen beds but the rooms are bigger than the other moderates.

Thanks! That is def. something to consider, I remember trying to make reservations last time and we only wanted a few character meals, what a headache!

In terms of beds, I wouldn't be picky... I would sleep in my sleeping bag in the car if I had to just to go to Disney, DH on the other hand wants to spend time at the hotel, pools, relaxing, and was very UNsatisfied with the room we had in a value, although he loved the idea and he is the one who has said next time has to be on property.

Thanks for the price break down. I am not sure what all the dining plan includes, but I know last time we were there we had a condo off property. We ate breakfast in our rooms, brought snacks, sandwiches, etc. Bought some food to share, drinks, etc. Went home for a nap/swim mid afternoon then back in the evening for dinner in the parks. If we did not have a condo with the kitchen it might limit the foods more and mean more eating out etc.

If you get the regular dining plan, it gets you one table service meal, one counter service meal and one snack per person for each night of your stay. The table service meals include dessert (not an appetizer, and not the tip as in the past). There is also a "quick service" dining plan but I don't know the particulars on that because we've never done it and a deluxe dining plan (too much food for us).

Why not try one of the moderate resorts. The rooms are larger than the value resort and you'll have more anemities than a value room also. Do you have a certain budget in mind?

What are the "more amenities" at a moderate? A budget? well... usually our moto is the cheaper the better... we like to camp, road trip, etc. Last year our family summer vacation was driving from MN to CA and then back, 3.5 weeks of touring along the way... in a car. Some hotels, some camping.

I'm not mickeystoontown, but she won't mind that I answer. ;)
At the moderates, you get a fridge and coffee maker in your room; there are slides at the pools and there are hot tubs (I don't remember if there are hot tubs at the values???); there is a table service restaurant at all of the moderates except for the POFQ; there are curtains separating the bathroom from the bedroom at the moderates (except the CSR which has sliding wood doors).

If you get the regular dining plan, it gets you one table service meal, one counter service meal and one snack per person for each night of your stay. The table service meals include dessert (not an appetizer, and not the tip as in the past). There is also a "quick service" dining plan but I don't know the particulars on that because we've never done it and a deluxe dining plan (too much food for us).

Are character meals included as table service meals? (I think I read they are but...) and does what does "counter service" include? I imagine it is the food vendors at the hotel or in the parks where you order ala cart, but is it just a burger or more to it? THANKS A BUNCH! I am learning so much!!!

I'm not mickeystoontown, but she won't mind that I answer. ;)
At the moderates, you get a fridge and coffee maker in your room; there are slides at the pools and there are hot tubs (I don't remember if there are hot tubs at the values???); there is a table service restaurant at all of the moderates except for the POFQ; there are curtains separating the bathroom from the bedroom at the moderates (except the CSR which has sliding wood doors).

There aren't hot tubs at the values. POFQ is currently undergoing a rehab. I'm hoping they put queen size beds in it too just like CSR. Mods also have 2 sinks, except for CSR, in the bath area where the curtain is at.

I too eat breakfast in my room when I stay at a moderate. The fridge and coffee pot makes this easy to do. I usually order a dessert the night before and eat it for breakfast. You could always get a snack at the food court or something from one of WDW bakeries too. If you go with a mod, just make sure to get your ADR's before you go. You can even do this online now.

What are the "more amenities" at a moderate? A budget? well... usually our moto is the cheaper the better... we like to camp, road trip, etc. Last year our family summer vacation was driving from MN to CA and then back, 3.5 weeks of touring along the way... in a car. Some hotels, some camping.

You sound just like me. I like to save as much money as I can but still have a good vacation. We also like to camp and take long weekend trips.

We've stayed at the CBR four years in a row and will be back there in just 23 days. The rooms at the CBR are 340 square feet (which is a bit larger than the other moderate at 314). You have four categories of rooms at the CBR. There are water view rooms (which I wouldn't pay money for at any Disney resort because water view rooms can be either a pool or a body of water) which cost extra. There are preferred location rooms (which will guarantee you a room near Old Port Royale....main pool, food court, marina, etc.) which cost about $25.00 a night more. The CBR is the only moderate resort where you can book preferred. There are full blown pirate themed rooms which cost a bit extra and last, there are standard rooms.

The moderate resorts have a full service restaurant onsite as well as quick service food court. You'll also have a mini-fridge in the rooms which could be a money saver for your family.

At the CBR, you can rent all sorts of watercraft at the marina. You can also rent a bicycle or surrey bike. Also at the marina is a pool table.

The main pool at the CBR was recently redone and is now zero entry with two slides and a separate play area for the kids. You'll also find two hot tubs near the main pool as well as a pool bar.

In the evenings, you can sit on the beaches of the CBR and see the higher Epcot fireworks.

If you want to take a look around the CBR, simply click on my Stop Making Me Laugh trip report and have a look around. Or, let me know and I'll post them here.

Are character meals included as table service meals? (I think I read they are but...) and does what does "counter service" include? I imagine it is the food vendors at the hotel or in the parks where you order ala cart, but is it just a burger or more to it? THANKS A BUNCH! I am learning so much!!!

Yes, the character meals are considered "table service." Some of them require just one credit per person, while Cinderella's Royal Table requires two (I'm not sure if any of the others do...I can't think of any). Here is a link to the "dining plan" which gives you the breakdown and what restaurants participate, etc. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2353648

Most all table service restaurants count as one credit but there are a few that take two table service credits.

Counter service restaurants are those that you simply walk up to (think mall food court, McDonald's, Taco-Bell, etc. but on a larger scale) and place your order.

Another rather silly question, if one decided to CAMP at fort wilderness, could you still get one of the discounts (ie free dining or kids stay/play free?) just curious, as dh was talking about a road trip this summer to DC... why not extend it south and get two vacations in one, he has a month off and I am a teacher so why not?

Another rather silly question, if one decided to CAMP at fort wilderness, could you still get one of the discounts (ie free dining or kids stay/play free?) just curious, as dh was talking about a road trip this summer to DC... why not extend it south and get two vacations in one, he has a month off and I am a teacher so why not?

The cabins at Fort Wilderness are included in the free dining promo but the campsites are not. The price of the cabins run pretty close to the deluxe resorts though.

Most all table service restaurants count as one credit but there are a few that take two table service credits.

Counter service restaurants are those that you simply walk up to (think mall food court, McDonald's, Taco-Bell, etc. but on a larger scale) and place your order.

I guess my question is more of what the meal at QS includes... ie, just the burger, burger and fries, burger fries and drink, etc. Is there a $ limit or an item limit per meal or how does it work?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter