Long Post Warning - I don't know where else to go...

TxRabbit, I don't want to just go away either, but I totally get your point. It's would be so easy for me to have dumped my problems here, read enough to feel better and then walk away never doing anything about it until the next time I ended up right back here again. In the 14 years I've been married, about once every year or so I would break down and cry to DH that I was so miserable. I'd get lots of love and attention, develop a plan to lose weight and be right back in the same spot 6 months later.

This is a horrible cycle to break. I love the saying that if you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have always got. Or something like that.

I watched Dr. Oz this morning and a guest said that if you have a vision with no plan, that it's just an illusion. WOW, thats a statement. So I need to get my plan together.

I am trying really hard not to eat when I'm not hungry. Thats a big issue for me right now.

Thanks for all of the wonderful words of encouragement!

Karen

You mention getting a plan together, I highly recommend writing your plan down and keeping it visible :goodvibes

I've had those conversations with my DH too. I get to hear how much he loves me, no matter what. Sure he would like me to be healthier. Sure he would like me to be more fit. But he loves me for reasons beyond my physical self, etc etc. It's wonderful to hear. It makes you feel so good. Hearing how much he would like positive things in life for you and the both of you can be so motivating to get that plan together. But the external motivation only leads back to where you are having the conversation all over again. Been there.

Sometimes DH will express some frustration with the conversation. Like why do we keep having to have this all over again, too. You think, yeah why? And that is motivating to get the change going. Been there too.

Journaling is something that I am doing to try to combat this cycle of my own. They have the WISH journals here. I recommend having an outlet to vent your emotions. I personally am hoping to discover what my own REAL issues are that keep me from maintaining weight loss successes.

Ditto on writing down the plan and keeping it visible.

I've finally started tracking what I eat. I have come up with eating plans before and planned out days to track calories, but I have never faithfully kept a food diary before. I read about the NutriMirror site here. I checked it out and started using it 3 days ago. I have to say. I absolutely LOVE it. I can't figure out how they make money. It's free. There's only two ads, one for their self named store to "support the site" and another at the bottom of every page for Amazon. I wonder if they will charge a fee in the future, but for now...

I highly recommend getting started with it. There's something about tracking everything that you eat, that even if you don't make any changes to what you eat, the simple fact of seeing WHAT you are eating is encouraging for making your reports look better. Your daily intake to look better. This could be a big help with stopping eating when you aren't hungry.

Readings

Kirschenbaum, Daniel S. The Healthy Obsession Program. Benbella Books

Kirschenbaum, Daniel S. The 9 Truths About Weight Loss. Owl Books

Davis, M., Eshelman, E., & McKay, M. (2000). The Relaxation and Stress Reduction Workbook (5th Edition). Oakland, CA: New Harbinger.

Burns, D. (1989). The Feeling Good Handbook: Using the New Mood Therapy in Everyday Life. New York: William Morrow.

Kusinitz, I., & Fine, M. (1983). The Consumers Union Report on Exercise: Physical Fitness for Practically Everybody. New York: Consumers Union.

Fletcher, A. (1994). Thin for Life: 10 Keys to Success from People Who Have Lost Weight and Kept it Off. Vermont: Chapters.

Fletcher, A. (1998). Thin for Life Daybook: A Journal of Personal Progress. Vermont: Chapters.

Murphy, S. (1996). The Achievement Zone: An 8-Step Guide to Peak Performance in All Arenas of Life. NY: Berkley.

Schlosberg, Suzanne. The Ultimate Workout Log (2nd Edition). Houghton Mifflin

Schlosberg, Suzanne. The Ultimate Workout Guide for the Road. Houghton Mifflin

Andes, Karen. A Woman’s Book of Strength. Berkley Publishing

Burke, Ed. The Complete Home Fitness Handbook. Human Kinetics

Weinberg, R., & Gould, D. (2003). Foundations of Sport and Exercise Psychology. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics.

*Nutrition Action Healthletter. This is a monthly newsletter published by the excellent Center for Science in the Public Interest (an independent nonprofit consumer health group). The newsletter summarizes key scientific findings about nutrition in a lively and interesting way. We strongly recommend subscribing to this. To subscribe, go to: cspinet.org.

Tufts University Health & Nutrition Letter This is another valuable newsletter containing very useful, up to date, information about health and nutrition. To subscribe call 800-274-7581 or go to: healthletter.tufts.edu.

Fitday is another wonderful free online tracking.

http://www.fitday.com

I have used them for tracking and like the site a lot.

A Google search for nutritional information will often get you the calorie, fat, carb, fiber, and protein count of most foods. Just put in the food + nutritional information (boneless skinless chicken breast nutritional information) and you will get the info. It helps if you are eating something out that doesn't have a handy box to turn over and read.

I have used them for tracking and like the site a lot.

A Google search for nutritional information will often get you the calorie, fat, carb, fiber, and protein count of most foods. Just put in the food + nutritional information (boneless skinless chicken breast nutritional information) and you will get the info. It helps if you are eating something out that doesn't have a handy box to turn over and read.
I have found all the restaurants that I have eaten at recently (all TWO of them (Yay for me!! LOL)) at the nutrimirror site, which makes keeping the food diary that much easier...

You know what? You guys are all freaking AWESOME!!!!!

So many times on these boards someone comes to the unknown masses just trying to have someone HEAR their porblem, only to be told rude things, and forgot as soon as the post hits page two.

You all have just given her a warm hug and information!! I love it!

OP, I don't have the issues you do, but I still struggle with my self image, and I am trying to get back to a healthy weight. Like you, my goal is to run the disney marathon someday. I'm a big fan of breaking that goal up into smaller goals, so my first is to run my very first 5k this spring, and the half in October. That wine dash and dine sounds right up my alley!

Since it is safe to assume we are all disney fans here, I'll share my mantra. I say it over and over and over again. When I am feeling that hideous burn in my lungs and I just want to walk the rest of the way. When I want nothing more than a large fry and root beer. When I want to blow my whole paycheck on new clothes. "Keep Moving Forward". Walt was a freaking genius.

I also wanted to cheer you on for making those changes you did. Don't belittle them! You wanted to walk while watching tv, and you did! You wanted to change your lunch choices, and you did! It truly is the small steps we make along the way that add up to the big picture. If you look at the whole thing you will get overwhelmed, so break it into tiny goals. Literally make your goal this week to change your bread to whole wheat. There is nothing wrong with that!!!

I won't repeat what everyone has said, but I completly agree with the following:
Don't diet, change your lifestyle. Diets don't work. "If Nothing Changes, Nothing Changes"
Kick the Dew habit. Others have already gone over that.
Write down everything that passes your lips.
Find your mantra. Repeat it over and over until what ever urge you are fighting passes.
and finally, don't forget us! We may be strangers, but we are always here to help.

HUG!!!

You know what? You guys are all freaking AWESOME!!!!!

So many times on these boards someone comes to the unknown masses just trying to have someone HEAR their porblem, only to be told rude things, and forgot as soon as the post hits page two.

That is what the community board is for :rotfl:.

We are a supportive community here but another big difference is that the people who post here are looking for help, support, advice, or all. Often times people on other boards are looking for validation. That isn't always the case of course but you see so often where one person turns the thread that way and then it spirals into chaos.

HELLO from the barely above 0 temps in Kentucky!

I'm still hanging in there. I went grocery shopping today after work and did NOT buy any Mtn. Dew at all! YAY ME!!! I did buy ALOT of our groceries from the perimeter (fruit, veg, meat, dairy). I have not got my plan together yet, but I'm moving in that direction.

I plan to actually do some meal planning for this week starting with lunch for tomorrow at work.

Thanks for the continuing support!

Karen

Great job shopping! That is one of my big problems...I justify junk food buying for the kids then eat it myself. Just don't have it in the house!
Hang in there with the Mtn Dew. Expect some headaches from caffiene withdrawl, but it will get easier!:)

Hang in there with the Mtn Dew. Expect some headaches from caffiene withdrawl, but it will get easier!:)

Black coffee with no cream or sugar will get you the caffeine with 0 calories. If you can't do black go with a little bit of stevia or a little bit of skim milk.

Not buying is the first step!! It helps to just not have it in the house. To get past the caffeine headaches, you might also try making some iced tea, especially if you are used to drinking a cold drink. Sweeten with Stevia like Firedancer recommended, or try to add a yummy herbal tea flavor (like a lemon zinger) to make your own blend that would have a bit of caffeine and that citrus flavor that you are used to.

Meal planning is hard. It's my struggle right now. Trying to figure out a nice plan with a bit of variety, something that I can actually do. I hope you have success in figuring yours out!

OP,
Your post is one I could have written. I lost over 100 lbs two years ago before and after lapband surgery, and have managed to gain most of it back:scared1:. What I'm trying is to go back and reread all the literature and message boards from my surgery, and remember how I am SUPPOSED to eat (whether or not my band is full, and my insurance doesn't cover it right now, either). One big thing my nutritionist pounded into my head at the time was NOT drinking during meals, but powerdrinking beforehand (water, water, water). I really think that after a year of NOT drinking (diet) soda, that going back to it is what triggered my gain. Seems to set off my sugar cravings.

At any rate, we're with you, and hoping for the best for you.
PM me anytime.
Terri

Today went really well! I packed my brown bag with healthy foods for work and I only ate out of it. No unplanned calories and only maybe 3 sips of Mtn. Dew this morning. I've had a bottle of water with me all day.

I just feel like I'm all over the place with ideas of what plan I'm trying to follow. If that makes sense. I am making some time tonight to do some reading. I'll figure it out...soon I hope.

Karen

A year ago, I bought myself the "gift of health"... small fitness center membership and a very spunky personal trainer... I wanted/needed to get rid of 15-20 pounds. I was a couch potato and unhealthy skinny person most of my life.. then I got to my thirties!! haha!

Here's what I've learned:

1. Exercise gets easier... for example:

I hated running... what I learned, you don't have to run at 100% for a half hour to get results. At first, I couldn't do it for very long at all. My trainer told me run for 1 minute, walk 1 minute... by golly she was RIGHT! Each cardio session got easier "which was good and bad at the same time!" When it got easier, it was time to "up it"... eventually, that is key, EVENTUALLY you get better and begin to LIKE the challenge.. Don't kill yourself trying, you will be super sore and likely to not try again.

2. Find a routine

3. Burning 250 calories per day maintains weight. To lose a pound a week (manageable and achievable) you need to burn 500 calories. A pound is 3200 calories... You may want to look up the calorie count on your favorite fast food... one sandwich could equal a VERY VERY LONG WALK.... try to think of the junk you eat in terms of burning it off... The bag of M and M 's are not worth the 30 minutes on the thread mill for me! haha

4. Do something different... treadmill, stairmaster for cardio... spice it up a little. Walk to the end of your driveway, Jog back to the house...

5. Fit in some strength training... vary that from day to day too. Work on upper body one day, lower body the next. You DO NOT need a gym to do this... Look up exercises on You Tube to get ideas.

6. If it hurts, you may not be doing it correctly.... avoid injury....

7. Drink water, water water water water water water... can curb sugar cravings...

Get rid of the DEW... I love it too, but get rid of IT... NO DIET POP EITHER

YOU can do this. You need to do this. Put yourself and your HEALTH first. Small changes can make a MAJOR difference. Don't let a set back STOP YOU. You will overeat, have a binge, you are NOT a failure... Pick yourself up again and MOVE your booty to a better YOU!!!

Karen, you've gotten lots of great advice on here already. My suggestion is to take it all and process it. Write down what you hear and read and what you think. Just as you write down what you eat, write down what you think. And, find a support group. Be it a WW meeting or a thread on here, find a place where you can give and receive support consistently. That makes it a lot easier. Feel free to join us on the In Search of My Body thread. I'll post a link.

And good luck!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=34958888&posted=1#post34958888

:thumbsup2 sounds like grocery shopping was a successful and you're starting to feel more positive. Keep up the good work!:goodvibes

I don't know you but I'm proud of you. :goodvibes I think soda was made by the devil, lol. It's so bad for us and so hard to give up. You're doing great! A solid plan is important for success, keep with it. :cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter