Liquid or Chewable Ibuprofen for ADULT??

Winston1204

DIS Veteran
I cannot swallow pills, so I use Children's Ibuprofen. The problem is, since I'm not a child I have to use a higher dosage. Being that the Children's bottles are so tiny and expensive I only get like 2-4 uses out of them!! Does anyone know if there is a liquid or chewable Ibuprofen for Adults?????

I don't know of any without a prescription, but why don't you just grind up a couple ibuprofen and stir it in with orange juice? The adicity of the OJ will likely mask any bitterness. It can't be any worse than alka seltzer. Does it have to be ibuprofen? regular Alka seltzer is just aspirin...

Ibupfofin tastes awful BTW. I have never found any liquid form for adults though I do find liquid Tylenol but its not the same medicine. Ask your DR as there may be RX strength in a liquid.

A lot of meds now come in redi-tab form., so they just melt in your mouth.I know excedrine does-I get it when we are in the parks for DH.:)

Your local pharmacy can probably compound it for you pretty cheaply.

Or, if your doctor can write you a script, the 100/mg per 5ml suspension of Ibuprofin in on WalMart's $4/$10 list. If you take a standard 400mg (equivalent to 2 tablets) dose, that would get you 6 doses for $4 or 18 for $10. That might be cheaper than buying the generic kid's OTC version.

The chewable 100 mg. tablets normally come 24 to a box. You would need to take 4 at a time to equal the adult dose, but that's at least 6 doses.

I've purchased 12 oz. bottles of the generic 100mg suspension at K-Mart in the past.

I don't know about ibuprofin but aspirin comes in a "low-dose" pill. It also says adult baby aspirin on it somewhere. On my grocery store shelf there was Bayer and there was a generic at about half the price.

Crush them (you can get a pill crusher/splitter for cheap at the pharmacy, or use a mortar and pestle) and take it in some applesauce or pudding. It's what we do for post-stroke patients who can't swallow well, or generally anyone who doesn't tolerate pills. I've also had to do this for my own kids (the middle-of-the-night earache and out of Children's Motrin liquid)

I also can't swallow pills. I just crush Motrin up and mix it with either yogurt or applesauce.

It does stink when out somewhere though, I've had to just plain ole chew it! And of course down whatever I had to drink as fast as possible, but I only do that if I really really need to! :thumbsup2

Your local pharmacy can probably compound it for you pretty cheaply.

Or, if your doctor can write you a script, the 100/mg per 5ml suspension of Ibuprofin in on WalMart's $4/$10 list. If you take a standard 400mg (equivalent to 2 tablets) dose, that would get you 6 doses for $4 or 18 for $10. That might be cheaper than buying the generic kid's OTC version.

I'd 2nd the idea of looking at suspensions or a prescription. You can get 4 oz. (120 ml) of Children's Motrin for about $6 over the counter (maybe cheaper if there is a store brand on the shelf) - it is at 100 mg/5 ml too so that would be anywhere from 6 to 12 doses, depending on how much you use.

I did see a product called Motrin Pediatric in the drug index, which is listed at 40 mg/1 ml, giving you a 400 mg dose in 10 ml (instead of 20), but I'm not sure how available it is (and I assume it is not available at all over the counter), nor how expensive it would be.

I also can not swallow pills :headache:

I used to do the same as you - kids liquid motrin - but the stuff is soooo freaking expensive for adult use and is sometimes hard to locate.

First, I switched to crushing the pills. Either use a crusher available at the pharmacist or take two table spoons and crush. Then put powder in one of the spoons add liquid (lemonade works well) and then follow with a large drink of the liquid.

Now though I've changed to just chewing the pills. In my opinion the Motrin (generic works) tastes better than Advil but either works :thumbsup2

BTW - I am soooooo glad no one has posted "it's just in your head"..... It's really not as I actually had one get stuck :scared1:

I used to not be able to swallow pills. I have had several patients who can't swallow them either. I put the Advil on my fingers and put it behind my tonsils in my throat and then I am able to swallow them. But I do know that their is a powered form of asprin available not sure what the name is.

I would say put is in a spoonful of pudding or yogurt! It's an excuse to have chocolate pudding!

When I was a little girl my dad used to cut my pills in half and put them in ice cream. Every morning I got a small bowl of ice cream and never tasted or felt the pill going down! Pudding works too!

Thank goodness I am not the only one who can't sallow pills. People always look at me like I am crazy because I can't sallow pills. I use BC or Goodys powder.

My husband thinks I am a freak because I can't swallow pills. I've also sucked on non coated aspirin- which is horrible. What is BC powder and where can I get it?

PS- I've tried yogurt, icecream, pudding, applesauce- unless it is absolutely crushed I find it with my tongue. It's a psychological issue, I know, but there it is!

i just saw liquid adult ibuprofen at my pharmacy the other day. must be new, so check your local pharmacy:)
i can't imagine having to drink all that sweet kiddie stuff to get the dosage you need! hope you find it!

Liquid adult ibuprofen is available--ask the pharmacist for it, you shouldn't need a prescription. It may be more cost effective though to continue buying the OTC version. 100mg chewable "juniors" are available. At my local Kroger, 24 are available for $3. You would need to take 4 for a regular dose or 6 as an "extra strength" dose. That's a cost of 50-75 cents per dose, same as if you buy the children's liquid, as it typically comes in 4 oz bottles and 1 teaspoon (5cc) is the same as one chewable tablet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter