Let's Watch the Hallucination Show on the Castle- A May '14 TR *12/3 PTR Link to Real Life News

YAY!!! I fully support your decision to wrap up your May story with another trip report. This should be the goal of everyone I think. :)

Since we’d be going to Central Florida right around the time of my birthday, it’d be almost a waste to NOT go to Disney and make use of those tickets.

::yes::

She had a point.

Um... YEAH!!!!

“but what if I just cashed in a ton of reward points from your dad’s credit card (my dad is completely oblivious to the fact that he gets reward points)

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

And also...

Um... YEAH!!!

Okay, back and read. I LOVE that your mom cashed in the rewards points that your dad and didn't know about. :goodvibes

And I think park sin the orning and evening with resort time in the afternoon is a lovely idea...especially at AKL.

Can't wait for the next chapter.

This is a little bit unconventional of me, but I decided since I was so far behind on my writing that I’d just add my August trip report straight on to this one.
Sounds great to me! For what it's worth, I did 6 TRs before doing a wrap-up post (and only then because it was the end of the "Year of Disney.") Like you, I just preferred launching into a new TR. :goodvibes

I went back and forth about a million times on whether or not I’d even write a report for August. It is June of the following year, after all, and some of the details of the trip have slipped away into oblivion.
I'm glad you decided to. :thumbsup2 And, also to make you feel better, we are just days away from being 1 year since the June trip that I have yet to write a TR about. But it will happen someday. When there aren't so many other Disney trips in the way. :rotfl:

And my mom had 3 days left on her military tickets she bought for the December 2013 trip.
Interesting, does that mean military tickets are non-expiring?

Not only was my birthday gift that year some extra days in the Disney parks, but it was also a stay at my favorite deluxe resort!
What an amazing birthday gift! :cool1:

I warned her about how tired our arms would be from carrying him around
I know that feeling all too well. :faint:

But you know what they say about the best laid plans…
Um, that they go smoothly? :scratchin :scared:

My whole first trimester for both pregnancies was plagued with nausea. This time around my doctor had samples for a new-ish nausea medicine made specifically for pregnant women called Diclegis and it changed my world those first few weeks! Once I started it, I was SO much better. But halfway through my 2nd trimester, I stopped having to take it. Hopefully yours goes away soon. I know how miserable that is!

Glad you were able to get some medicine to help with the nausea. That's such a terrible feeling.

As crazy as it may make us, we are going in October while I'm on maternity leave! We know it will be a different paced trip, but it's been way too long, and I felt like I needed to take advantage of 12 weeks of paid time off! Ideally, she'll be about 10 weeks old. I'm kind of excited to get to do both the boy thing and the princess thing!!

Can I just say how great I think it is that you get 12 weeks maternity leave? That's awesome. Most places only give 6 weeks, and that extra time with the baby is so needed. Not to mention, the little ones just barely start sleeping more and going longer between eating and diaper changes at that time. I was really fortunate and didn't work when Landon was a newborn, but I remember looking at Alex when he hit 6 weeks and going, "There's no way I culd function as an adult and take care of this kid." I told my two friends that had kids the same month as me that they were saints about a million times.

Sure, there will be the typical issues of traveling with a newborn, but if anything it might be easier to go with them that little. All they'll do is sleep, eat, and dirty diapers, and they'll still be small enough to carry around. It makes complete sense for you to use that maternity leave while you can.

Plus, it'll be good to do something with Paxton. I'm sure he's an expert at Disney trips by now, and he'll appreciate being able to go back to somewhere fun and familiar after his life has kind of changed drastically.

And, oh the newborn princess dresses you could buy!

While boy stuff is fun, what mom doesn't want to take her little girl to Disney World?

Ready to read about August...

Talk about UPGRADE from Pop!! Great start before you even get there!

Not a bad way to spend your birthday! :banana:

Great plan for a bonus trip with a toddler! I'm looking forward to more.

I was so fortunate to be able to stay at a deluxe twice in one year. As the family that usually stays at All Star Sports, I felt like I was in a dream staying at a deluxe. Thank goodness my dad has no idea about his credit card perks. His loss, my gain...
(I say that but next May they are using his newly accumulated points to stay at the Beach Club so he won't be missing out again.)

YAY!!! I fully support your decision to wrap up your May story with another trip report. This should be the goal of everyone I think. :)

Um... YEAH!!!!

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

And also...

Um... YEAH!!!

Actually, having another trip report in the back of my head while I wrote the May one really stressed me out. I didn't like being so far behind on my reports. And then when I went again in February I was in a frenzy trying to write! I don't like playing catch up, so it'll be nice when I get to the 2015 trip and am back on track.

Okay, back and read. I LOVE that your mom cashed in the rewards points that your dad and didn't know about. :goodvibes

And I think park sin the orning and evening with resort time in the afternoon is a lovely idea...especially at AKL.

Can't wait for the next chapter.

My dad is so anti-technology that he doesn't have the slightest clue about cardholder benifits. I love the man, but he is about 10 years behind on modern convienences. It'll probably confuse the heck out of him when my mom explains how she's using his latest points to pay for a Disney room for them both next May.

Can't wait to read more! Staying at a Deluxe is definitely on my bucket list!

Thanks! Staying deluxe was a dream come true. While the Values hold a special place in my heart, and while I'll gladly stay at one again, I'd be lying if I said deluxes weren't nice! The little things like coffee makers in the room and real glass cups were really nice. And the space. I wish the values could be just a tad bit bigger, especially now that I know the differences between the two types of rooms.

Sounds great to me! For what it's worth, I did 6 TRs before doing a wrap-up post (and only then because it was the end of the "Year of Disney.") Like you, I just preferred launching into a new TR. :goodvibes

I'm glad you decided to. :thumbsup2 And, also to make you feel better, we are just days away from being 1 year since the June trip that I have yet to write a TR about. But it will happen someday. When there aren't so many other Disney trips in the way. :rotfl:

At some point, you fall so far behind you feel like you're drowning in reports. It sresses me out to have this August report AND February 2015 to write about.

And, hey, if you, you know, wanted to start one about your epic May trip I wouldn't complain....

Just saying.

I'm dying to hear what you (and Izzy) thought about your Disney cruise.

Interesting, does that mean military tickets are non-expiring?

Military tickets work off the fiscal year. So they are good from beginning of October time frame to the end of September. So my mom had until Sept. 21 (I think) to use her December tickets.

What an amazing birthday gift! :cool1:

I know that feeling all too well. :faint:

Um, that they go smoothly? :scratchin :scared:

I won't lie, I was pretty excited about my birthday that year.

The arm strength of parents is without equal, I believe. Nobody knows the true meaning of tired at Disney until they've toted their toddler around Epcot in 90 degree heat with 80% humidity...

I love the idea of putting two trips into one report! It just seems easier to keep up with or something. OHHHH MAN, another stay at AKL?! So awesome! That's my favorite resort too. It's incredible. And it deserves plenty of time to be explored! Can't wait to hear about it! (PS I am writing this from my gate as I wait for my flight to DISNEYLAND!)

Ok so I totally failed at reading your May TR but I'm here for the August trip! Love that you got to upgrade to AKL for your birthday!!

I was so glad that I had the opportunity to meet you guys! I do hope that we get the chance to see each other again. Next May we will likely be there from the 13th to the 21st. :) If we overlap, I'll make sure we do more planning around seeing each other.

Hahahaha, isn't it hysterical though with those stupid FB smiley faces? Don't worry, I wasn't creeped out by it.

Honesty is always the best policy. It's much better than people who pretend like they knew it.

Awww, thanks so much! I like to think I'm pretty nice. LOL. It's much easier when you meet awesome people!

Yeah, I totally didn't realize that we were baiting Alex with his shopping addiction. Hehe.

One of the best things about SWW is exactly that. The characters that just wander around while you're there. Makes me think about what going to WDW used to be like.

Yup, we definitely had a basketful that trip, I'm not going to lie. I'm glad actually that I'll be there for opening day next year, because I found this year the merchandise really dwindled down by the second weekend.

Hahahahaha, but that moment was HYSTERICAL! It's one of those moments that was improved by the fact that I know my Mom so well, so I know I totally just looked at her like "really? really?"

Yup, my Dad ate 40 year old eggs from a can from World War II. The man is insane.

They really stepped up their game with drinks this year though, I was super happy about it.

I'm so glad you went out of your way on your last day though to see us.

Can't wait to hear about your August trip!

This is a little bit unconventional of me, but I decided since I was so far behind on my writing that I’d just add my August trip report straight on to this one. I’m doing this mainly because my May trip was all about Alex’s pre-deployment days, and August was all about Alex’s absence due to the deployment. Both trips followed a similar theme and they’ll fit well together. In addition to that, this report won’t be nearly as long as my usual ones, so it shouldn’t take too much time to recap.
Makes sense to me. I think it is a good idea.

How could I pass up the opportunity to write about the otherworldly August heat and everyone in a food court staring at my table and unexpectedly running into a DIS veteran? Twice!

No, those things couldn’t be missed.
We wouldn't want to miss out on it! I know it was definitely a busy year for you dealing with Alex's deployment so I can't blame you a bit for starting an August TR the following June. But I'm certainly glad you plan to proceed with it.

I thought about it and agreed to bring Landon back down there sometime in August and asked if my mother could tag along to help with the 7 hour drive. My family used to live in the general area that Alex’s family does (that’s how we met many, many years ago…9 years to be exact) and my mom still had friends in the area she wanted to visit and reconnect with.
Great idea. That seems like it will be a big help to you and should work out well.

Since we’d be going to Central Florida right around the time of my birthday, it’d be almost a waste to NOT go to Disney and make use of those tickets.

She had a point.
Your Mom is smart.

“Fair point,” my pointed agreed. “but what if I just cashed in a ton of reward points from your dad’s credit card (my dad is completely oblivious to the fact that he gets reward points) and used them to order 2 Disney gift cards.”
And she just keeps proving that point. :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

Not only was my birthday gift that year some extra days in the Disney parks, but it was also a stay at my favorite deluxe resort!

:cool1:

Talk about the best birthday ever.
::yes:: I want a birthday like that.

(And just to be fair, I did talk about the trip with Alex and made sure he was cool with me taking Landon to Disney without him. Disney is our family spot, and the last thing I wanted to do was hurt his feelings while he was stuck in an undesirable location. Even with him assuring me he completely fine with me going on the trip, there was always a little bit of guilt following me around while I was there. That couldn’t really be avoided when you’re munching down on a fresh baked cinnamon roll, knowing your husband is eating old salad in a mess hall.)
Makes sense. I can understand how you'd feel guilty about it, but I'm sure that he was glad that you were going to be able to enjoy your birthday and have a good time even though he couldn't be there.

My mom and I also knew the more time at the resort, the less chance we had of getting overheated and/or caught in an afternoon thunderstorm. We planned for early mornings and late evening park time and long afternoons hanging out by the pool and walking the hallways with Landon.
Seems like a good plan. It makes a lot of sense. I always want more time to explore the resort or go to the pool, but it is always so hard to spend time doing that when the parks are right there...

Our expectations and goals were simple; we felt assured that with such an easygoing itinerary we were bound to feel successful.

Oh, come on! We all know that everything always goes according to plan at Disney World. Especially with a toddler. :rolleyes1

::yes:: Smart Momma!

“What if those gift cards would cover a stay at…oh, I don’t know….a deluxe?”
Generous Mamma!:thumbsup2

:cool1:

Talk about the best birthday ever.
:cheer2:

I didn’t think there was much that was going to make me truly enjoy my day without Alex near, but if there was anything that was going to come close.

It was that.
:hug: I can see that!

Indeed I do! (Just need to read the first update of my TR to see that!:rotfl::rotfl2::lmao:)

At some point, you fall so far behind you feel like you're drowning in reports. It sresses me out to have this August report AND February 2015 to write about.
Tell me about it! Drowning is a good way to put it. I came back from our trip and just couldn't even figure out where to start - too many new pages to read! I did take a big chunk out of it this weekend, but still have a handful of reports to catch up on. Not to mention that I'm still on the early part of my Hawaii TR from last November (really anxious to work on that), have the new TR to start, and still have last June's to write. I don't think I'll be adding any PTRs to the mix, despite having potential Disneyland and return to Aulani coming up. :faint:

And, hey, if you, you know, wanted to start one about your epic May trip I wouldn't complain....

Just saying.

I'm dying to hear what you (and Izzy) thought about your Disney cruise.
I have been spending all my free time (when not catching up on other reports) going through all our photos and making notes, as I made almost no notes on the trip. Even after 2 weeks I've already forgotten lots of stories and am trying to get them all down while I at least have a foggy memory. I'm about halfway through the trip now. I'll get it going when I get the notes done, for sure! Right now, I keep jumping back and adding new notes to past days, so I don't want to start until I have it all figured out. But, to answer your question, we all loved the cruise and hope to go on another! ::yes::

I love the idea of putting two trips into one report! It just seems easier to keep up with or something. OHHHH MAN, another stay at AKL?! So awesome! That's my favorite resort too. It's incredible. And it deserves plenty of time to be explored! Can't wait to hear about it! (PS I am writing this from my gate as I wait for my flight to DISNEYLAND!)

AKL is just awesome. I was really glad I got the opportunity to stay there twice, because I think I learned even more about the resort during my August trip. Now the place feels like a second home to me.

Oh my goodness, your Disneyland trip is here! I hope you are having an amazing time. Enjoy World of Color! And walking down THE Main Street. And Carsland. Ahhh, so much to love.

Ok so I totally failed at reading your May TR but I'm here for the August trip! Love that you got to upgrade to AKL for your birthday!!

No problem! I think I'm always going to be behind on people's trip reports. It's just how it goes sometimes. Thanks for reading this August one, though! It was an interesting trip...

I was so glad that I had the opportunity to meet you guys! I do hope that we get the chance to see each other again. Next May we will likely be there from the 13th to the 21st. :) If we overlap, I'll make sure we do more planning around seeing each other.

Hahahaha, isn't it hysterical though with those stupid FB smiley faces? Don't worry, I wasn't creeped out by it.

Honesty is always the best policy. It's much better than people who pretend like they knew it.

Awww, thanks so much! I like to think I'm pretty nice. LOL. It's much easier when you meet awesome people!

Yeah, I totally didn't realize that we were baiting Alex with his shopping addiction. Hehe.

One of the best things about SWW is exactly that. The characters that just wander around while you're there. Makes me think about what going to WDW used to be like.

Yup, we definitely had a basketful that trip, I'm not going to lie. I'm glad actually that I'll be there for opening day next year, because I found this year the merchandise really dwindled down by the second weekend.

Hahahahaha, but that moment was HYSTERICAL! It's one of those moments that was improved by the fact that I know my Mom so well, so I know I totally just looked at her like "really? really?"

Yup, my Dad ate 40 year old eggs from a can from World War II. The man is insane.

They really stepped up their game with drinks this year though, I was super happy about it.

I'm so glad you went out of your way on your last day though to see us.

Can't wait to hear about your August trip!

I know we're going back to Disney in May, just not sure when the dates are going to be, exactly. A lot depends on whether or not Alex gets orders and if so, when our move date is. Plus, my brother and family might be coming over from Germany that month so we have to wait and see what's going on with them. I really liked overlapping with the Flower and Garden Festival and Star Wars Weekend, so I'm hoping I can make those dates work again. This is going to be our last hurrah for awhile so we're making it a long trip. Plus, I'm bound and determined to finally get to Universal Studios.

Alex was super impressed with your shopping skills. Anybody that can shop more than him at Disney is a friend.

I loved the green egg story, because your mom's face was priceless. She was so resigned, like, "Yep, that's my husband. He's not exagerrating, he really did that."

Glad to hear the drinks at SWW were even better this year. I'm sure by next year, after the latest movie comes out, Disney's going to really go all out with the event.

Makes sense to me. I think it is a good idea.

We wouldn't want to miss out on it! I know it was definitely a busy year for you dealing with Alex's deployment so I can't blame you a bit for starting an August TR the following June. But I'm certainly glad you plan to proceed with it.

Great idea. That seems like it will be a big help to you and should work out well.

Your Mom is smart.

And she just keeps proving that point. :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

::yes:: I want a birthday like that.

Makes sense. I can understand how you'd feel guilty about it, but I'm sure that he was glad that you were going to be able to enjoy your birthday and have a good time even though he couldn't be there.

Seems like a good plan. It makes a lot of sense. I always want more time to explore the resort or go to the pool, but it is always so hard to spend time doing that when the parks are right there...

Oh, come on! We all know that everything always goes according to plan at Disney World. Especially with a toddler. :rolleyes1

Yeah, this has definitely been a busy year. And now Alex gets up at 2am for workouts and then work at 4am and he usually gets home at 3pm. Then he spends the afternoon/evening working on school work because he's trying to finish his degree before the fall. So by the time Landon goes to sleep at 8/8:30, I am too tired to get on the DIS and write an update. I keep telling myself I'm falling farther and farther behind, but I can't bring myself to stare at screen after a long day.

A lot of people like the way my mom thinks. If there's a way to do something, my mom will find the way. As seen by our AKL stay and our MVMCP visit last December.

It's hard to miss out on park time when you're at Disney, but when you go during the summer months, there's just no way you can be in the parks in the middle of the afternoon. That's a disaster waiting to happen.

::yes:: Smart Momma!

Generous Mamma!:thumbsup2

:cheer2:

:hug: I can see that!

Indeed I do! (Just need to read the first update of my TR to see that!:rotfl::rotfl2::lmao:)

I've been really fortunate to have a mom who is as generous as she is. I loved our AKL stay together and our MVMCP/Sea World trip in December. My mom stayed home with us kids most of her life, so now that we are grown and gone, she likes to splurge and do the things she missed out on for so many years. I'm just fortunate to be around for some of those splurges.

Tell me about it! Drowning is a good way to put it. I came back from our trip and just couldn't even figure out where to start - too many new pages to read! I did take a big chunk out of it this weekend, but still have a handful of reports to catch up on. Not to mention that I'm still on the early part of my Hawaii TR from last November (really anxious to work on that), have the new TR to start, and still have last June's to write. I don't think I'll be adding any PTRs to the mix, despite having potential Disneyland and return to Aulani coming up. :faint:

I have been spending all my free time (when not catching up on other reports) going through all our photos and making notes, as I made almost no notes on the trip. Even after 2 weeks I've already forgotten lots of stories and am trying to get them all down while I at least have a foggy memory. I'm about halfway through the trip now. I'll get it going when I get the notes done, for sure! Right now, I keep jumping back and adding new notes to past days, so I don't want to start until I have it all figured out. But, to answer your question, we all loved the cruise and hope to go on another! ::yes::

For what it's worth, you're doing amazingly well at keeping up with it all! I've been impressed. But writing notes is so important. Oh my goodnes, without those bad boys, you really are taking a shot in the dark as to what happened. That's sort of what this August report is going to be like...

Oooh, Disneyland and another Aulani trip? I'm intrigued. You'll have to mention the details in one of your reports. Is that your plans for 2016?

Glad to hear you liked the cruise!

Oh, cool -- another trip to read about! I'm all for it. :)

I didn't know much about Star Wars until Nick introduced the movies to Andrew, and now the kid is obsessed! One good thing to come out of it is I mentioned SWW to Nick, and he wants to go next year. So yay for another trip!

Yeah for another trip ... and coverage of said trip!

She had a point.

Sometimes you just need to listen to your mom ;)

And that is great that it will work out to stay at AKL and that you will use it as an opportunity for more time at the resort, less park stress, etc.

Our expectations and goals were simple; we felt assured that with such an easygoing itinerary we were bound to feel successful.

Absolutely! Sounds very smart - no way to not follow the plan!!!

uh oh :scared:

Oh, cool -- another trip to read about! I'm all for it. :)

I didn't know much about Star Wars until Nick introduced the movies to Andrew, and now the kid is obsessed! One good thing to come out of it is I mentioned SWW to Nick, and he wants to go next year. So yay for another trip!

Haha, that's awesome. I could totally see how your boys would love it. If I'm not careful my brother will start the obsession with Landon in a few year's time. It would not surprise me at all if I learned about the movies through him.
If you do go to SWW in May let me know, that's when our next trip is!

Yeah for another trip ... and coverage of said trip!

Sometimes you just need to listen to your mom ;)

And that is great that it will work out to stay at AKL and that you will use it as an opportunity for more time at the resort, less park stress, etc.

Absolutely! Sounds very smart - no way to not follow the plan!!!

uh oh :scared:

My mom has great advice when it comes to Disney. Usually it involves more days and/or grander plans. She's a true Disney nut like all of us...

I think in the summertime, you kind of have to plan those long breaks. That's the great thing about going in August. The resort prices tend to cost less so you can swing for a nicer resort. Of course, I don't really have to tell you. You stayed at the Contemporary last summer.

Oooh, Disneyland and another Aulani trip? I'm intrigued. You'll have to mention the details in one of your reports. Is that your plans for 2016?
Aulani is next January (only 4 nights there and the rest on the North Shore of Oahu) - I posted a blurb about it on the Hawaii TR - link on the bottom of the intro post there. Disneyland is tentative still, but dates would be mid-November this year, after Dug's work retreat in Palm Springs. Hoping it works out.

Haha, that's awesome. I could totally see how your boys would love it. If I'm not careful my brother will start the obsession with Landon in a few year's time. It would not surprise me at all if I learned about the movies through him.
If you do go to SWW in May let me know, that's when our next trip is!

Definitely! I'd love to meet up sometime! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter