• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Let's Complain About the 2017 Visa Perks

Tip - just bring a glass of wine with you to dinner and say you bought it at the bar.
Except the DCL website states (in their alcohol policy):
Guests wishing to consume wine or champagne that they have brought on board in one of the dining rooms will be charged a corking fee of $25.00 per bottle.

and
  • Alcohol brought on board may not be consumed in any lounge or public area.
https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/...onboard/?int_cmp=INS-intDCLtoFAQAlcoholPolicy

I suppose it depends on how much people like to play by the rules whether that's followed or not.

Guests wishing to consume wine or champagne that they have brought on board in one of the dining rooms will be charged a corking fee of $25.00 per bottle.

and
https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/...onboard/?int_cmp=INS-intDCLtoFAQAlcoholPolicy

I suppose it depends on how much people like to play by the rules whether that's followed or not.

Yup, we decide to not play by those rules. To each, their own. You are more than free to pay the $25 per bottle. I've decided that we pay a lot for my Disney Cruise as it is, we are limited to 2 bottles of wine per person, we consume the alcohol responsibly, and we may not want a whole bottle for the 2 of us for dinner. There is little difference between me paying for the wine at the bar and bringing it in, and me bringing in a glass of my own wine. The only difference is the $$$ that Disney gets. I don't think Disney will suddenly be unable to pay the bills if we all bring our own glasses of wine into the dinner. Again, it's a personal call if you want to donate $25 to Disney or not.

I have only used the Disney Visa benefit for an onboard credit once because we usually have an onboard booking for our cruises. Reading this just brings to mind that it is further devaluing the perks of Platinum and Gold Castaway Club status. The 10% shopping perk was one of the few perks we got/took advantage of as a Platinum Castaway. We always use our Disney Visa for onboard purchases. So since they can't be combined, it doesn't matter if I am Platinum or not still get 10% on that same list with the same restrictions!

To the pp who asked about the 6 mo 0% financing, you never got that for your onboard purchases so with lessening the benefits of using their Visa card, I doubt they would change that.

Well, let's see.....
10% off "select" Disney Cruise Line Digital photo packages. That's on the 10, 15, & 20 photo package as well as a full priced (not pre-cruise purchased) all digital package. Since I only buy MAYBE one or two photos that's not going to be used.

10% off select merchandise on purchases of $50 or more. Well, I don't think I buy that much onboard anymore, so that one's a no-go, also.

10% off the Castaway Cay Getaway Package. Well, we did rent snorkel equipment on one of our last 6 cruises. But, not the whole package. I'm seeing a pattern here.

20% of select onboard massages or facial treatments. On non-discounted treatments. Well, since I've never even been in the spa not to mention using the facility, that's not worth the paper it's printed on.

So, I guess they're saving money by offering these "amazing" perks to me. But it makes them look like a good deal, I suppose.
I agree! The list of items you cannot get the !0% off of merchandise is ridiculous. I sent Chase an email saying I was not happy about them no longer offering the OBC (booked 2016) and followed up with a phone call. Hopefully they will add it to the 2017 sailings.

and

Strange because we take a glass of wine from the Concierge lounge to the MDR every night and told it was ok. So how would they know where the wine originated from...a bar, concierge lounge or room?

Strange because we take a glass of wine from the Concierge lounge to the MDR every night and told it was ok. So how would they know where the wine originated from...a bar, concierge lounge or room?
My husband will fill his beer mug in the room. He has been known to just take a bottle of beer form our room up to the promenade lounge. I usually order a martini and give them a nice tip. They never say anything. DCL set's the policy's, but it's not the servers and workers jobs to police all that. They have bigger things to worry about.

I wonder if I'll be able to use the discount to get a Dooney & Bourke bag on my January Cruise? :rolleyes1

I was able to buy at D&B purse onboard with my 10% gold discount, cannot imagine that would be excluded for Disney Visa members if they offer it to Gold and Platinum.

Perfume by national brands like they carry in the stores onboard cannot be discounted unless the manufacturer chooses to allow the discount.
Electronics, Gft Cards , fine jewelry , etc are also never discounted if you buy them in shoreside stores, why would they be in a ship store?
It is not like you could walk into a Disney Store shoreside and get those discounts either.
The DVD and CDs do surprise me a bit though as not being discounted. That seems like general merchandise to me. Like clothing, purses, accessories etc.

I don't have a Disney Visa card but a couple of friends do and I am interested to know how they feel about this.

Bringing wine from the lounge is allowed. That is DCL wine that you purchased with your fare.

The idea here is that wine you brought on board is not allowed. If they asked, would people respond honestly? Not sure. Most of the time the question isn't even asked though.

On the Wonder, we attended the cocktail reception prior to dinner each night and had one drink there and then took another one with us to dinner (no problem). I always took the napkin the drink was on (had the concierge symbol on it) also so there was no question where the drink came from.

I was able to buy at D&B purse onboard with my 10% gold discount, cannot imagine that would be excluded for Disney Visa members if they offer it to Gold and Platinum.

Perfume by national brands like they carry in the stores onboard cannot be discounted unless the manufacturer chooses to allow the discount.
Electronics, Gft Cards , fine jewelry , etc are also never discounted if you buy them in shoreside stores, why would they be in a ship store?
It is not like you could walk into a Disney Store shoreside and get those discounts either.
The DVD and CDs do surprise me a bit though as not being discounted. That seems like general merchandise to me. Like clothing, purses, accessories etc.

I don't have a Disney Visa card but a couple of friends do and I am interested to know how they feel about this.

I haven't been able to take advantage of the Disney Visa OBC for a long time either since I had OBB discounts. So I guess I could now start taking advantage of both. Problem is, the only thing I would use it for is the 10% discount in the stores and I already get that as a Platinum CC member. As others have said, this feels like another downgrade of the Platinum/Gold perks as I had to be on my 6th cruise before getting that discount and now everyone with the Disney Visa gets the same discount.

Well, darn-- so much for that. At least we'll have a little Obc from the travel agent.
We may buy some photos, but don't tend to buy a bunch of other stuff, and aren't going to CC (unless they reroute from Alaska ;) ). May or may not use the spa, but the prices are so high anyway.
Sigh...

I actually wish this would be in effect when we cruise in October. We have never used the $50 beverage credit as we always buy Disney gift cards to pay for our cruise. We save WAY more than $50 utilizing our grocery store's (Giant Eagle) double fuel perks promotions. On our Iceland cruise, neither my husband, son nor I paid for gas for over a month! We even filled up our inlaws tank for free when they came to visit. With the new perks, it sounds as if you only have to use it for your onboard account which we do anyway. I don't know how much we would save, but I'm sure we'd save a little bit in the gift shops.

I like the change, but I guess it just all depends on how you pay for your cruise.

I actually wish this would be in effect when we cruise in October. We have never used the $50 beverage credit as we always buy Disney gift cards to pay for our cruise. We save WAY more than $50 utilizing our grocery store's (Giant Eagle) double fuel perks promotions. On our Iceland cruise, neither my husband, son nor I paid for gas for over a month! We even filled up our inlaws tank for free when they came to visit. With the new perks, it sounds as if you only have to use it for your onboard account which we do anyway. I don't know how much we would save, but I'm sure we'd save a little bit in the gift shops.

I like the change, but I guess it just all depends on how you pay for your cruise.

I agree...we use AMEX to pay for cruises and use for our onboard account. The AMEX dollar rewards we get far outweighs what the Disney Visa offers and then some. I actually DO have a Disney Visa but have not used it in a really long time...in fact I forgot I had one. lol

I didn't use my most recent credit b/c it was a $50 beverage obc (only) which was useless to me. So I've already seen no benefit to using my Disney Visa to fully pay for bookings. I'll get different (read: better and more) perks with other cards.

Bottom line, Disney CC is a horrible card and always has been. There are lots of rewards cards out there where points earned far outweighs what Disney offers. The only benefit is being able to carry around a Disney CC because it's fun to have Mickey on your card. Do they still have annual fee too? (it's been many years since I looked at mine.)

The premium does- $49/year, the regular does not. I'll admit it, I just like my cute bright green Tink card...

Darn, wish i hadny uset the disney visa for the deposit, Will use other card for balance! Other points are more useful

yep - I'm in the group that is now going to get points on my better cards. No benefit to me to really own the Disney visa anymore.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter