Leaving a bag attached to your ECV

chelynnah

DIS Veteran
Heading to WDW in a few weeks with my 75yo MIL and both of us will be on ECVs. In the past I've been with my hubby and we take a bag for bits which he either carries or hangs on the ECVor wheelchair and then take on the rides with us.

It'll be end of Feb so I'm assuming we'll need jackets for evening, along with the ECV chargers, rain ponchos, and a few drink bottles. So I was thinking of taking a backpack on the back of my seat to carry the stuff in. I know people leave stuff on strollers all the time, but what do people normally do with the ECVs? Do you leave things with them and take the chance or do you take it on the ride with you.

One of the rental companies I was speaking with talked about the chargers just being in the basket. Do people generally just leave them in the basket?

I know that of course it's a risk and things can get nicked, but I'm wondering what people's experience and advice would be?

Thanks

I would never leave anything behind, be it on an ECV or stroller, that I would be upset to find missing. Can you put what you value in the backpack and take that on the ride with you? That is what I would do.

Yeah, that was my gut instinct, but I just see so many people doing it with the strollers, so figured I'd ask what others do with ECVs.

Thanks

I would never leave anything behind, be it on an ECV or stroller, that I would be upset to find missing. Can you put what you value in the backpack and take that on the ride with you? That is what I would do.

The backpack fits on the seat quite rightly so is a pain to take off and put on. So I was kind of hoping I could leave it attached with the drinks and the ECV chargers in it.

So that kind of leads to the related question, do you all carry your chargers with you? We'll be going from open to as near to close as my MIL can do, so I'm assuming we'll need to top up the batteries at some point which means we'll need to have the chargers with us in the parks. So you carry them on the rides with you too?

Last edited:
Heading to WDW in a few weeks with my 75yo MIL and both of us will be on ECVs. In the past I've been with my hubby and we take a bag for bits which he either carries or hangs on the ECVor wheelchair and then take on the rides with us.

It'll be end of Feb so I'm assuming we'll need jackets for evening, along with the ECV chargers, rain ponchos, and a few drink bottles. So I was thinking of taking a backpack on the back of my seat to carry the stuff in. I know people leave stuff on strollers all the time, but what do people normally do with the ECVs? Do you leave things with them and take the chance or do you take it on the ride with you.

One of the rental companies I was speaking with talked about the chargers just being in the basket. Do people generally just leave them in the basket?

I know that of course it's a risk and things can get nicked, but I'm wondering what people's experience and advice would be?

Thanks
when I go with my friend we have a bag that we leave on her ECV it is the oh well bag ( meaning if it is stolen it is no big deal) we have some food rain poncho a towel and we have water bottles in the basket beside this we keep other things on us.

We leave an ugly bag with coats, food, and etc on the scooter. I used little d-rings snapped out of sight on the bag attached to the scooter. If some one just causally grabs it, the rings would at least slow them down. I expect they would find another target.

I would not leave anything valuable on the scooter. I had my cane stolen from a parked scooter near a WDW restroom one year. I can walk short distances so left it behind. I was furious not to mention handicapped for the rest of the day getting on to rides.

I own now own my re-purposed rental scooter. "Boo" holds a charge for 10 hours if I use battery conservation practices. My husband puts the charger in the car but we have never needed to get it. Even when we rented, we did not recharge during the day. It depends on your weight and remembering to turn scooter off when not actually moving.

Hope you have a great time.

I use a small backpack for my park bag. It fits nicely in the front basket of the ECV. I bring it with me if I park the ECV and would never consider leaving it on it unattended.

The charger I put in a waterproof bag and put it at the bottom of the front basket. It stays in the basket. It is quite heavy and bulky. I balance that it is not likely to be of much value to a thief and is not readily visible being at the bottom of the basket, while a backpack is an unknown treasure potentially with much value, and thus desirable.

SW

I have never carried around the charger. Sorry, it has a long cord attached and would be very awkward. I can't imagine anyone carries it around. It stays in the pocket on the back of the seat.

I also leave things in it that I don't really care about. There may be food in my basket, sunscreen or bug spray. If I have a bag in the basket, I anchor it to the basket. If someone tries to walk away with it, they have to carry the entire scooter.

Thanks
I don't take my charger with me to the parks - I have cup holders that I use to hold drinks and a small pouch on the back of my seat that I put a rain poncho in - it's my own personal ECV so I do decorate it. I have never had a problem with anyone taking anything but then again - there isn't much to take!

I connect a regular sized backpack onto the seat facing out towards the back. I attach it with bungi cords. I make it elaborate. It would take a little while to get it off. In addition I use a lock with the zippers. We have not had a problem leaving it on the ECV.

We do not leave anything valuable in the backpacks.

Another note about leaving bags on an ECV (or stroller):

Squirrels.

Disney squirrels are crafty little creatures. Having no real predators they have lots of time to hone their "getting into human bags in search of food" skills. I have seen both video and real life examples of them doing this. Food left in a bag on a stroller or ECV is pretty much an open invitation to them and their friends (some birds are pretty skilled, too). And some of them are good enough that you won't realize it has happened, so that open container of whatever you had now holds a little less (but not so much so you notice) but has been visited by furry or feathery wildlife...

SW

Thanks
We had a stroller laster year at the end of February, and we packed a "beach bag" type bag with our sweatshirts, and left them on top when we'd go into the rides, unfortunately, one time we had one of our mugs stolen right out of the bag. We were able to get a replacement after talking to a cast member, but it left a sour taste in our mouths, that someone would steal a used mug. I definitely would not leave any valuables.

No I would never leave valuables. Anything important would stay in the smaller purse/bag I'll be carrying.

Some good ideas here along with some well deserved cautions. Thanks all :)

We put 2 bags on DH's scooter. One is a small back pack that carries his valuables. It is kept in the front basket and when he leaves the scooter the back pack goes on his back. The second is a ugly old bag that I attach to the back of his scooter with velcro straps. It contains rain ponchos, a small bag with a change of underclothes, and light jackets. This bag stays with the scooter when we are in an attraction if DH has ridden the scooter through the line. The CM's take the scooter and pack it in the attraction near the exit. If DH decides to walk a bit and we park the scooter for a while, I carry that extra bag with me. If we leave the scooter out in the open we always cover the seat with a poncho and cover the electronics with a shower cap to protect it from rain. When we leave the scooter always try to park it in a stroller parking area because other wise if empty, CM's will come and move it and it can take forever to find it again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter