Large family

Cbrtls5

Mouseketeer
Well... We've done it. We've committed to going to WDW and taking our immediate family (me,dh, dd 23, ds 20, ds 17 and granddaughter will be 11 months) as well as both sets of our parents. There will be 10 of us. We haven't really "done" Disney since 05. A quick trip for dd and I in 09; in 12 dh and I spent 2 days there. So I know much has changed.

What are your tips for a large family? Helpful hints?

I should add my 59 yo mother has early onset Alzheimer's. She's still functioning just easily overwhelmed and tires easily. We will have to rent a motorized chair for her. But this is her one big wish in the whole world. And I'm going to make it happen for her no matter what.

As someone how has lost a Nana to Alzheimer's and another Grandfather that had dementia, DO IT!! Take it slow with lots of breaks as you will also have the baby with you. The memories for the rest of your group will be priceless. Take lots of pictures, and create memory books with her in the pictures. My Grampa LOVED memory books/ photo albums. Looking at the pictures were great for interacting when we visited at the nursing home (he was 93 when he passed). He loved Disney and was there in 1955 when it opened so it was great to have something he remembers, and we did too even though we visited at different times (at the end he didn't remember the trip in the 1980's with us as kids, but saw himself with us in the pictures and KNEW he had gone again).

I second taking lots of pictures-and you can make lovely digital scrapbooks on Shutterfly that are Disney themed for the time strapped and not so crafty types-and so your loved ones can have them right away. I would focus on having meals together and doing some activities together, but don't think you need to be stuck like glue 24/7. This is a really important aspect when taking a large age range. I really hope you have a wonderful trip!

I would reconsider the motorized chair (I assume you mean an ECV) they can be very mentally taxing to use and if she gets confused and tires easily she could run the risk of hurting someone.
I would take a ton of pictures

We rented an EVC for my dad for our big family trip, just for the parks. It was DH and I, out 5 kids ages 4 - 11, and my parents. What worked well was to have separate accommodations, and splitting up for a few hours every day. We rented DVC points for a 2 bedroom and a studio for my folks.

We actually lost my dad at MK, after splitting into 2 groups, and didn't realize it until we met up for our CP ADR. Talk about panic! Fortunately he had a cell phone, and it was very comical when DH and I split up trying to find him while performers were in front of the castle. So when splitting up, make sure every group knows who is in their party.

My Mom either uses an EVC or I (and others) push her in a wheelchair. As she gets older, she much prefers the wheelchair. With a wheelchair the pusher is making all the decisions and she is going along for the ride. With an ECV, she needs to monitor speed (either way ahead or behind the group). Plus she needs to weave the vehicle though often heavy pedestrian traffic without hitting anyone. It's quite stressful.

In crowded conditions, we much prefer the wheelchair.

Great idea! She loves looking at pictures!

As someone how has lost a Nana to Alzheimer's and another Grandfather that had dementia, DO IT!! Take it slow with lots of breaks as you will also have the baby with you. The memories for the rest of your group will be priceless. Take lots of pictures, and create memory books with her in the pictures. My Grampa LOVED memory books/ photo albums. Looking at the pictures were great for interacting when we visited at the nursing home (he was 93 when he passed). He loved Disney and was there in 1955 when it opened so it was great to have something he remembers, and we did too even though we visited at different times (at the end he didn't remember the trip in the 1980's with us as kids, but saw himself with us in the pictures and KNEW he had gone again).

Thanks

I second taking lots of pictures-and you can make lovely digital scrapbooks on Shutterfly that are Disney themed for the time strapped and not so crafty types-and so your loved ones can have them right away. I would focus on having meals together and doing some activities together, but don't think you need to be stuck like glue 24/7. This is a really important aspect when taking a large age range. I really hope you have a wonderful trip!

Really? You think just a regular manual wheelchair then?

I would reconsider the motorized chair (I assume you mean an ECV) they can be very mentally taxing to use and if she gets confused and tires easily she could run the risk of hurting someone.
I would take a ton of pictures

Good thought. I could see that easily happening. And yes, I would panic!

We rented an EVC for my dad for our big family trip, just for the parks. It was DH and I, out 5 kids ages 4 - 11, and my parents. What worked well was to have separate accommodations, and splitting up for a few hours every day. We rented DVC points for a 2 bedroom and a studio for my folks.

We actually lost my dad at MK, after splitting into 2 groups, and didn't realize it until we met up for our CP ADR. Talk about panic! Fortunately he had a cell phone, and it was very comical when DH and I split up trying to find him while performers were in front of the castle. So when splitting up, make sure every group knows who is in their party.

I never really thought about that. She would be really stressed out. Sounds like manual would be a better option

My Mom either uses an EVC or I (and others) push her in a wheelchair. As she gets older, she much prefers the wheelchair. With a wheelchair the pusher is making all the decisions and she is going along for the ride. With an ECV, she needs to monitor speed (either way ahead or behind the group). Plus she needs to weave the vehicle though often heavy pedestrian traffic without hitting anyone. It's quite stressful.

In crowded conditions, we much prefer the wheelchair.

Really? You think just a regular manual wheelchair then?
yes a manual chair. My DH was run over by someone confused on their ECV. He was hit hard enough to knock him over (he's 6'7" 230ish so not a small person). Thankfully my dd who was 16 months at the time was standing next to him and did not get hit. ECVs are great for people with physical disabilities/issues, my MIL uses one often, but if there are mental/clarity issues, they are not a great choice.

I can offer a few tips on going to Disney with large groups. I've been to Disney several times with as many as 23 in our party. It is lots of fun but realistically you sometimes need a little break. Everyone doesn't always want to do the same thing all the time. We would always have breakfast together and ride the rides that everyone wanted to do as a group. Then split up, which in this case maybe if your mom needs a break to go back to the hotel for a while around lunchtime. Then meet back up for dinner and watch the parade, shop, take those special pictures.

I wish you the best of luck and enjoy your trip.

If it is financially possible, I recommend one of the DVC units. When we travel anywhere as a group we like to have a common area to hang out in which is out of all of the chaos. Also, a kitchen unit for some home cooked meals might be nice for your mom and the baby.

Also, in some of the one and two bedroom units, the closet makes a great bedroom for the pack and play.

yes a manual chair ....ECVs are great for people with physical disabilities/issues, my MIL uses one often, but if there are mental/clarity issues, they are not a great choice.

Great point! Yes it'll take too much to think about. Manual it is! Thanks

I can offer a few tips on going to Disney with large groups. I've been to Disney several times with as many as 23 in our party. It is lots of fun but realistically you sometimes need a little break. Everyone doesn't always want to do the same thing all the time. We would always have breakfast together and ride the rides that everyone wanted to do as a group. Then split up, which in this case maybe if your mom needs a break to go back to the hotel for a while around lunchtime. Then meet back up for dinner and watch the parade, shop, take those special pictures.

I wish you the best of luck and enjoy your trip.

Thank you so much!! Great tips

If it is financially possible, I recommend one of the DVC units. When we travel anywhere as a group we like to have a common area to hang out in which is out of all of the chaos. Also, a kitchen unit for some home cooked meals might be nice for your mom and the baby.

Also, in some of the one and two bedroom units, the closet makes a great bedroom for the pack and play.
Hmm might look into that. Would be easy for transportation. Thanks

I would also recommend staying onsite if you could. It would make it easier to get back and forth, and for us feels like we are still "there" when at our resort. We don't have the "now we need to head over to the parks" feeling, or "lets get out of here and drive home" coordination. We just exit the parks and let someone else take care of the rest.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter