Large family

Thanks. We will probably stay offsite but I'm going to check out what I can find onsite.

We went last year with a total group of 12 people - including 4 kids under 7. My absolute biggest concern was losing a kid and not realizing it because everyone assumed someone else had a kid. (And in your case, your mom would probably fall into that category too)
So we were *really really* strict about children hand-offs. Before we left in the morning, each child had a designated adult who assumed responsibility for that kid. And if they wanted to hand off the kid, they had to get positive verbal confirmation from the other adult that they were now in charge of the kid. I know it sounds ridiculous, but it worked. It was quick and simple "I'm going on Space Mountain. Mickey, you're in charge of Pluto" "OK, I got pluto" and sometimes we got super silly about it (BIL singing "check baby check baby 1-2-3-4" was my personal favorite). I'm sure the kids didn't even notice, but it kept everyone accounted for.

Other than that, I agree with the others - don't expect to be together 100% of the time, take lots of pictures, don't worry about doing it all, and just have fun!

That sounds like a great trip to do with your mother. We do large family trips (15-20) to Disney and usually stick together because it works for us and we want to, however most will tell you to split up into smaller groups. I think since you will have an 11 month old in your group and the fact that your mother tires easily you may want to split up some throughout the day. I suggest having a family meeting and discussing what everyone expects and would like out of the vacation and come to an agreement. If expectations and flexibility are discussed ahead of time it can help you avoid conflict. I think what causes arguments is when some people don't feel like what they like to do or want to do is taken into account. I'm not saying your family is one that will argue but so many large groups do so I'm just throwing this out there as a tip. Your family may be like mine and just like to be together the whole time. I agree, don't rush and forget to take pictures, even candid photos. Some of our best pictures are from someone in our group just snapping away at random times. Our group of 20 will be there in June as well! Have a wonderful trip!

Thanks!! Yes I've suggested splitting up but it sounds like for the most part, everyone wants to stay together

We went last year with a total group of 12 people - including 4 kids under 7. My absolute biggest concern was losing a kid and not realizing it because everyone assumed someone else had a kid. (And in your case, your mom would probably fall into that category too)
So we were *really really* strict about children hand-offs. Before we left in the morning, each child had a designated adult who assumed responsibility for that kid. And if they wanted to hand off the kid, they had to get positive verbal confirmation from the other adult that they were now in charge of the kid. I know it sounds ridiculous, but it worked. It was quick and simple "I'm going on Space Mountain. Mickey, you're in charge of Pluto" "OK, I got pluto" and sometimes we got super silly about it (BIL singing "check baby check baby 1-2-3-4" was my personal favorite). I'm sure the kids didn't even notice, but it kept everyone accounted for.

Other than that, I agree with the others - don't expect to be together 100% of the time, take lots of pictures, don't worry about doing it all, and just have fun!

In OP's case, there is only one (little) kid, and it's a baby. I'm guessing the parent of that baby will be primarily responsible for her.

In OP's case, there is only one (little) kid, and it's a baby. I'm guessing the parent of that baby will be primarily responsible for her.

Ha! Good point. Clearly I didn't pay attention to the "kids" ages. Hopefully the 23 year old can handle herself ;-)

Thanks!! Yes I've suggested splitting up but it sounds like for the most part, everyone wants to stay together

I plan extended family trips and found that initially everyone thinks they want to stay together, but that gets old fast. I always plan time apart and if we all stay in a group, its a bonus.

I know you are looking at offsite options, and respect that your family may save money renting a house, but under the circumstances with your Mom, and the size of the group, you may want to reconsider that. Parking alone is going to run into a decent chunk of change, and then rounding everyone up to go and to return can be stressful as well. We have taken trips where one by one, folks dropped out of the group and headed off in their own direction either in the park, or back to the resort. I don't know what your family is like, but mine is like herding cats.

Because you with such a large group and will likely split up at times, I would highly suggest getting Memory Maker if you can afford it. It is $149 if you purchase it before your trip. You'll be able to link everyone in your group to it and then if they go on a ride or take pictures with a photopass photographer when they are in a park and your back at the room, you'll still have great high quality photos from the times you miss. I would explain to everyone on the trip how MM works and tell them to use it as often as possible. I'm sure everyone in the group will agree with the importance. You can then make a great photobook with your personal pics and those pics and have the best Christmas gift to give to your mother and others in the group as well. Capturing those memories are especially important.

I also agree that staying on property if you can will be best. It makes taking afternoon breaks so much easier and you'll likely need those if she gets overwhelmed easy and to get out of the June heat. You can get really great deals on condo-like rooms if you rent DVC points and therefore have access to a kitchen and a calmer more home-like feel.

Good luck with everything! I'll be there in mid-June too (6/17-6/25) maybe I'll see your large group! :)

Make Dining reservations at the exact minute your window opens up at 180 days. People say they'll want to stick together now - trust me, they won't. You all will go your separate ways, some will want to go on certain rides and the baby won't be able to, some will want to take the baby to meet characters, some will want a break and others will want to keep going. Be flexible and let everyone go their own way when they want/need to. We traveled as a party of 9 on our last trip and we had several ADRs together and would occasionally stick close to each other, but had a very fluid vacation - the 3 year old wanted to go meet Rapunzel, the grown men wanted to go on Pirates of the Caribbean, so we kept in contact via text message and met up later. It was a fantastic trip - mainly because no one was stressed out that we had to be together at all times. And we loved getting together for meals. We did a lot of ADRs for breakfast buffets and character dining together, but we had many kids in the group, so breakfast is the easiest to please everyone. If I was going with mostly adults, I would make a plan to have a nice dinner in the parks or resorts every night and that could be a good time for everyone to come back together in the event that you split up throughout the day. And in June, you're going to want a break from the heat with air conditioning and a reserved table that you don't have to fight for.

I just wanted to comment on the wheelchair issue-we did this last year with my family. My mom has reduced mobility and we rented a wheelchair to make it easier for her to get around, and it did that. But honestly, she is not a tiny lady and pushing her in that chair became a serious work out-pushing the wheelchair up to the platform for the monorail was tough (and while I am not a marathon runner, I am not in horrible shape). Parts of AK were also tough to navigate in the chair and strenuous (particularly where ground is uneven or cobblestone type walkways). I know you are probably thinking, how bad could it be, but we actually had to trade off pushing at some points because it was work, particularly in the heat. If your mom is a smaller lady it likely isn't an issue, but if she happens to be on the 'fluffier' side then think carefully about who will be pushing the chair. We rented a EVC after a few days and it was a big relief.

I would definitely consider onsite because of the large group you are traveling with, age range, and your mom needing the breaks. To be able to go back to your room easily would be beneficial, especially if it's the middle of the day. Not having to walk back to your car and drive all the way to your rental house or hotel. Just let Disney transport you. Very easy, even with a wheelchair. When we went in 2013 with our large group (16 total) we stayed at Port Orleans Riverside with four rooms booked. We considered a DVC, but realized that it would be better for each family to have their own room, gives more personal space (believe me it was needed), and easier for each party to pay their share. We had tons of magical moments, but realizing that you don't have to all stick together at all times is beneficial to making it work. Our rooms were side by side, we met for breakfast, made plans for the day together to meet up, and of course we all ended up back at the same spot in the evening.

Go. Photopass it. Talk about the past like its today. if you are new to ALZ/Dem, talk with local ALZ group, she may be parking every every 3-4 days. bring her into the action, and know what her favorite characters are. it a great time to be had.

We are going Mid June, probably staying offsite and renting a house
I would say that you'll need a minimum of 4 bedrooms. I would NEVER ask my parents to share a room with my in laws (and visa versa). No matter how good the relationship is, sharing a bedroom is too intimate IMO. So, you'll need 2 rooms for the parents. The kids and the baby can all share one and you'll need one for yourself.

If you stay offsite you'll have to budget for at least 2 cars plus $20 per day to park them at WDW. Then you're still joined at the hip and 4-6 people have to agree on when to leave the house and go to the parks and when to come back to the house. If you have some early birds and some night owls in your group ... it's a whole 'nother level of stress. Uber is an option for some members who stay behind to sleep in or who want to go home early but that's an added expense too. You will also have to coordinate flying in and out of the airport or you'll pay for a taxi which runs about $60.

If you stay onsite you'll get a free ride from the airport and you'll get a free ride anytime to/from the parks. That will allow your group to come and go as they please and then meet at designated times for FP+ or meals. Staying onsite *is* expensive but if you add up the cost of staying offsite you may find that it's not a whole lot more to have the extra level of flexibility. If you stay onsite, I would suggest staying in a Value resort to save money. You *could* squish into some DVC 2-BRs (some sleep 9 plus an infant) but your parents will have to share a room and the kids will have to sleep in the living room. At the very least, I would suggest a 2BR plus a studio but you're still looking at an expensive vacation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter