• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

LA Times - "Orange County could leap into yellow tier, with widest reopenings, as soon as next week"

California’s safe reopening blueprint requires that venues/activities requiring vaccinations check for a vaccination card or a document from a health care provider verifying vaccination. Simply relying on attestations is not allowed.
Which is odd considering that proving you are a California resident to be able to enter theme parks right now is allowed by attestation alone.

More California "opening" news, from about an hour ago:

Newsom: California to Effectively End Mask Mandate in June
"In an on-camera interview with KTTV Los Angeles reporter Elex Michaelson posted on Twitter, the governor was asked, “Are we looking at masks after June 15?”

“No. Only in those settings that are indoor — only in those massively large settings where people around the world, not just around the country, are convening, and when people are mixing in real dense spaces,” Newsom replied. “Otherwise, we’ll make guidance recommendations, but no mandates and no restrictions on businesses large and small.”"

Of course, each business can make their own more restrictive rules, including Disney, but again, yet another step towards "opening up".

Well, that hardly seems fair. Also would seem to violate the "Equal Protection" clause.
I can’t get into too much, but no it doesn’t violate it. The clause only covers people within the jurisdiction of the state. Out of state people don’t meet that requirement.

And it actually makes sense to me as somebody who lives in the state, but I’m good with agreeing to disagree on that one.

Well, that hardly seems fair.

A lot of people think the same. The parks would be "safer" if everyone who was eligible was required to be fully vaccinated before visiting the parks. I, personally, feel this would have been a better solution and technically safer than only limiting those to in-state (vaccinated or not) if the goal is to limit the spread of COVID-19. At least out-of-state vs in-state becomes a moot point after June 15th.

I was surprised that the mask mandate ends on June 15th along with capacity issues. I'll be curious to see if abruptly stopping both of those has any impact on numbers or if enough people are vaccinated to hold steady. I'm sure Disneyland will be keeping the mask requirement and health/safety checks for the foreseeable future, though.

A lot of people think the same. The parks would be "safer" if everyone who was eligible was required to be fully vaccinated before visiting the parks. I, personally, feel this would have been a better solution and technically safer than only limiting those to in-state (vaccinated or not) if the goal is to limit the spread of COVID-19. At least out-of-state vs in-state becomes a moot point after June 15th.

I was surprised that the mask mandate ends on June 15th along with capacity issues. I'll be curious to see if abruptly stopping both of those has any impact on numbers or if enough people are vaccinated to hold steady. I'm sure Disneyland will be keeping the mask requirement and health/safety checks for the foreseeable future, though.
Except that would have eliminated almost all children. How is that fair? And actually at the time they opened, it would have eliminated many adults as well.

I don’t say this meant in a way that Californians “deserve” it more, but the fact remains that we did a ton of work over the last year to get our numbers this low. We sacrificed a lot that other states didn’t. Newsom is allowing what he was able to control.

Except that would have eliminated almost all children. How is that fair? And actually at the time they opened, it would have eliminated many adults as well.

I don’t say this meant in a way that Californians “deserve” it more, but the fact remains that we did a ton of work over the last year to get our numbers this low. We sacrificed a lot that other states didn’t. Newsom is allowing what he was able to control.

That's why I said everyone eligible. As more become eligible for the vaccination, the more people required to have it before visiting. Every adult in the US became eligible for the vaccine by April 19th, before Disneyland's reopening on April 30th. And now 12-15 year olds are up for eligibility. Children younger than 12 have not become eligible, so they would not be required to have it as of yet.

I won't get into much more because I don't want to derail the thread more. It's okay if we disagree.

Newsom already walked back some of his statements regarding masks. We will see....... It doesn't necessarily mean Disney will follow suit right away even if he does lift the mandate.

Newsom already walked back some of his statements regarding masks. We will see....... It doesn't necessarily mean Disney will follow suit right away even if he does lift the mandate.

“while touting billions more for K-12 education in Monterey, he altered his words, saying the state “will still have likely some mask guidelines and mandates” for indoor activities.
“But we hope sooner than later, that those will be lifted as well,” he said. “The bottom line is, we’ll go back to most broad strokes semblance of normalcy, if we continue down this path.””

He said in his original statement that for indoor and other crowded settings, there will still be mask requirements. The way he said it was really confusing and should have had a clear statement prepared.

Florida doesn't have a mask mandate. Disney does. They made a deal with the union, and they have to negotiate with them any changes, in addition to the state. Considering the state was hardest on theme parks, I don't expect it to be all hunky dory on June 15.
To give some context to “re-opening” and where we are at in California:

California population: 39.5 million
California new COVID-19 cases yesterday: 1465
As a comparision, Nevada's populations is 3.08 million and they had 470 new cases yesterday, which if you adjust for their population would be over 4700 cases in CA. (Was going to use Arizona, but too many Arizonians here!)

Every citizen in the US sacrificed a lot over the past 14 months. It wasn’t exclusive to any state or any country.
Exactly. This is not a matter of rewarding anyone for hardship and it's a slap in the face to many who suffered a lot in the last 14 months. I for one am tired of hearing it positioned as such.

He said in his original statement that for indoor and other crowded settings, there will still be mask requirements. The way he said it was really confusing and should have had a clear statement prepared.
He specifically mentioned conventions and other large venue indoor gatherings, I presume to mean places like arenas and theaters and such, where there may be out of state and international visitors (like concerts, sporting events, etc).

I also feel like there will continue to be mask mandates for schools, at least until enough kids can be vaccinated. Many schools have summer school happening this year, so it might be that masks will still be required there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter