Kudos to the Little Blonde Girl

Status
Not open for further replies.
as a woman I don't expect someone to get up and give me their seat just because I'm a woman. I have no problem standing, as long as I'm not holding the baby. Everyone waited for that bus just the same amount of time, and to me it doesn't matter what gender is getting on it. If my husband waited 45 minutes for a seat, he darn well better sit. He's probably just as tired as everyone else. The buses have never been that crowded for the need for people to stand when we go, anyway. Being him, though, he would stand, because that was how he was raised. If there is someone worse of than us, we will gladly give up our seats. It all depends on the situation, I guess.

I don't really understand the whole argument behind this.

Everyone on the bus has probably been walking for 7+ hours in the hot Florida sun...is it really such a big deal whether you have to stand on a bus for 15-20 minutes longer? :confused3

Everyone on the bus has probably been walking for 7+ hours in the hot Florida sun...is it really such a big deal whether you have to stand on a bus for 15-20 minutes longer? :confused3

Good point...but. I think the main argument is about people who won't be polite and give up their seat for someone who OBVIOUSLY needs to sit down. I've yet to be on a Disney bus and had a smooth ride. Pregnant women and women standing and holding a small child have no business standing. Neither do some seniors. Its common sense. If you see any of these people, or ones who look as though they really need a sit, then please...offer them one. :goodvibes

Good point...but. I think the main argument is about people who won't be polite and give up their seat for someone who OBVIOUSLY needs to sit down. I've yet to be on a Disney bus and had a smooth ride. Pregnant women and women standing and holding a small child have no business standing. Neither do some seniors. Its common sense. If you see any of these people, or ones who look as though they really need a sit, then please...offer them one. :goodvibes

If I may make a point here... on our last trip I witnessed TWO DIFFERENT dads who had been burdened with the stroller, the baby bag, the purchases, and at least one small child (one guy had two) while the mother walked the other way snagging a seat for herself and an older child. Granted I didn't know the whole situation (perhaps the child had an issue?), but it made my jaw drop that they'd leave the "big strong man" to take care of more than he was really capable of in that situation.

It's not always the woman who needs the kindness of a stranger.

I don't either. I guess it comes down to this sense of "entitlement" that so many people have. It's like "Oh, I am so obviously more tired than that person over there, so I should have their seat, even though they were ahead of me in line for the bus and got to that seat first."

Sorry, if you're well enough to walk around the parks all day, you're certainly well enough to stand for a 10 minute bus ride.

If having a seat on the bus is the only option for me after a long day, I will gladly wait for the next one. I would never expect someone else to just give up their seat for me. Now, a camera or a diaper bag?? Oh they would definately have to stand!:rotfl:

I'm of the camp that seating on buses and monorails should be first come first served. I will be more likely to give seats up for the elderly than I would for kids, as a rule. A small child can always sit on mom/dad's lap and it won't kill an older kid to stand. However, I may take pity on a parent standing with a baby or toddler as long as they are not the sort to feel "entitled". (ie giving me dirty looks and muttering under your breath is a way to guarantee that I won't give up my seat.;) )

I went with my dad and if there was a shortage of seats, I'd let him sit because he has a bad heart and his legs hurt him too most of the time. Like Maxiesmom said, I looked out for my own...I stood and let him relax. I have to say, I was loving being on the monorail because seats are easier to come by there and the buses tended to be less crowded. We also did plenty of waiting for another bus if one was way crowded.

How about if men also leave a bus if it's too crowded? After all, that's what a gentleman would do, correct? Perhaps if I did this, I'd still be enjoying the wonders of a WDW bus stop - a perpetual visitor stuck in line.

Now, just to be clear, even if I've waited in line for two or three turns at a bus stop, finally get on and have a chance to sit (even though I've had to stand for the last few times on a bus) I should automatically offer my seat to a last minute "run up" to a bus or any other random person? I, as a man who is a gentleman in many instances in life (holding doors, saying please and thank you, smiling and thanking those I encounter in life) do not have the right to sit and relax when I've also walked the parks for eight+ hours?

Even though no one ever offered to do this for my wife or children, on countless buses, perhaps if I start doing so a huge wave of "positiveness" will sweep across WDW and my wife will be offered a seat? Perhaps someone on our bus will notice my wife limping after falling at the MK and having a huge cut and bandages on her knee, and offer up their seat? Guess what - it happened to her two days ago and a seat wasn't ever offered up. Furthermore, neither did we expect a seat to be offered nor did we moan and groan when it wasn't. I hate to say this, but if anyone wants to definitely sit there's always a taxi.

We aren't allowed to (by cultural norms) complain when an ECV, wheelchair, stroller or screaming child is on a bus. However, men have to take the brunt of anyone's anger and be expected to help everyone out? One earlier post had a great point - how does anyone know what any given person's medical situation might be? We live in a world where there are more identified conditions and ailments then ever before, and it is not reasonable to expect any given adult male to be A-OK, unless you wear X-Ray Specs!

How about a list, those who I will offer up my seat to:

- Handicapped
- Lactose intollerants
- Elderly
- Stuffed animals
- Sick persons
- Children
- Anyone with a child
- Circus Freaks
- Women
- Underweight persons
- Overweight persons
- Peanut allergy persons
- Tall persons
- Short persons
- Mutants
- Foreigners
- Military personel
- Aliens
- Any racial group other than mine

That would pretty much guarantee me a seat either on the bumper or roof of a Disney bus, but then again that wouldn't be allowed - me and my gender are not allowed to sit, but only jog along side a bus.
LOL...I might give you my seat based on the fact that you're pretty funny.:goodvibes I particularly got a kick out of the "circus freaks" and "peanut allergy" items..

LOL...I might give you my seat based on the fact that you're pretty funny.:goodvibes I particularly got a kick out of the "circus freaks" and "peanut allergy" items..

I'm glad to see that some DISboarders can also find humor in a topic, when it's combined with one's opinion. :goodvibes

I do appreciate when I see a man offer up his seat to a woman, I think it shows a lot about that man. BUT I don't typically think badly of the one who doesn't. I am a woman and even when I am incredibly tired will give my seat up for a child or woman with a child who needs to sit more than me, or an older person who may need it more than me.

But yes I do think a lot of a man's character when I see him offer up his seat, I think it is a very nice gesture that shouldn't go unnoticed.

I'm proud to say my DH and my DS's (22 and 24) ALWAYS offer their seats up to women, anyone holding a small child, anyone significantly older than them, etc. Anyone who might have a difficult time standing. What amazes me is the "ME" mentality. Sad really. Very pathetic. It's not about what someone else should do for you, it's about doing the right thing without expecting anything in return. It's called manners and I'm very proud to say my DS were repeatedly praised when very young for opening doors, holding doors, etc.

They also, open car doors for their dates, pull out chairs, etc. Terrible parenting huh?

We just had this conversation today--Even though i am female, my brother and I were always taught to give up our seats for those that need it--whether it be someone older, someone holding a child, or a kid.

Now he is 22 and ill be 24 in a couple of weeks..his girlfriend was here the other day and said how nice it is to have a guy that does open doors, pull out chairs ,etc. my mom was so proud that he still does that!

Now i just need to find the nice guy that does haha

I am a healthy 46 year old woman. I would not expect anyone to give up their seat for me.

I have offered my seat during the following scenarios:
~Pregnant woman
~Person who appeared to have some difficulty standing/walking
~Person carrying a sleeping child
~Elderly person

Really it has nothing to do with a man/woamn thing...it has to do with consideration for another person whose "load" is heavier than yours, and for whom having a seat would make for a more comfortable ride for them.

I completely agree with you. The bottom line is that everyone has been walking around the parks all day, and everyone is tired, no matter what age or gender they are. I may be 25, but after a long day of walking, my feet are pretty much done! So, after waiting my turn in line, I would like a seat, thank you very much!:upsidedow

I agree. We'll have a car at the parks. Partly so we don't have to deal with people that believe they are more entitled to our seats than we are.

I took took the monorail last night and sat while other parents had to stand. I am a young man (I'm not overweight, I look healthy), but I had chafing, 5 blisters on my feet and was caring a backpack that was 20lbs after walking 8 hours straight and being up for 18 hours and a bum knee. I waited for the monorail for 5mins and the other for almost 10. What makes you think I would give up my seat?

What makes a 5 year old more deserving of a seat than me? Why does a woman deserve the seat more than me? There are only 2 people that actually deserve the seat more than me. Parents holding a child, but ONLY if they are holding the child. If the babys in a stroller then they can stand. The other is someone who looks like they are having problems, old or young, if they are limping or look like they are in serious pain they should get a seat. Other than that your out of luck. If you want a seat so bad wait for the next bus/monorail.

I am personally offended by you basically calling all men who dont give up their seat rude. My dad is early 40s and has a back and hip problem. And I have a loose knee joint and it will just slipp out and make me fall into pain (not just the 5 blisters, 20lb backpack, bruised heel and chafing). I am DISGUSTED that you expect men to give up their up their seats for women and children.

I am not a rude person, I will say please and thank you, I didnt complain or give looks when someone cut infront of me in a character line, I didnt mouth off when a woman so rudely saved her seat for 6 people for 10mins for a parade, I take pictures if you ask me, if someone in my party goes ahead I'll bring them to me I wont cut, etc... But in the end everyone is tired, I would have stood if I had to, but I would have been standing like a duck because I was in so much pain, lol. Were all in pain, even the men (believe it or not).

We were there 2 weeks ago with a 4yr old and 3 month old twins. We definitely needed to be seated. If the bus was full, we waited for the next bus. I don't expect people (man or woman), to give up their seats for us...especially, at the end of a hot day. If you definitely want or need a seat I suggest waiting for the next bus. I do thank the people who do give up their seats, but I certainly don't expect them to.

I am from the UK and have always considered the Americans to be very polite.

I agree with equality and I feel the old fashioned attitude of giving up a seat for a woman are fading. However what upsets me is when a very young child (say under 8) is sat in their own seat whilst grown ups are standing. The child could sit on the adults lap or stand next to them and the adult hold onto them. I have a 7 year old daughter and I would not expect her to sit down whilst a grown up stands. It is what I had to do as a child as well and I feel adults should be treated by respect by Juniors.

Of course there are times when this doesn't apply, I cannot alwys see or know if the child has a difficulty but there are times when the child is fit and healthy and the parent needs to have the child move.

I am personally offended by you basically calling all men who dont give up their seat rude. My dad is early 40s and has a back and hip problem. And I have a loose knee joint and it will just slipp out and make me fall into pain (not just the 5 blisters, 20lb backpack, bruised heel and chafing). I am DISGUSTED that you expect men to give up their up their seats for women and children.

Well said! :thumbsup2

One other suggestion for those people who get on a monorail or bus and feel that they need a seat and no one is offering ... ASK.

When people are in a place that is filled with strangers -- a bus at a theme park, say -- they generally aren't making a lot of eye contact. Most people on the bus are tired or they're thinking about what their next stop or activity is or they're trying to remember where they're meeting up with the rest of the gang, or a hundred other thoughts. Most people are not actively watching everyone who gets on the bus or monorail, wondering, "Gee ... do you think this person needs a seat?"

If you need a seat and can't (or won't) wait for another bus or monorail, just ask. Go to an area of the bus or monorail car where there are a couple of kids who could maybe scoot together to make room, smile and say, "I'm sorry ... but my knee is killing me. Do you think the kids could scoot together so I could sit here?" Chances are, you'll get a seat. But the expectation that everyone sitting on the bus somehow magically knows that you need a seat is a bit much.

As for the "men should give up their seats for women" thing ... no. I always enjoy the chivalry when a man offers up his seat or opens a door, but in this age of "we are equal" and "girls can do anything", it's a step backward, IMO, for any woman to think she's automatically entitled to a seat on a bus simply because of her gender. We're either equal or we're not. I don't remember EVER hearing the slogan, "Equal rights for women (except on public transportation)!"

:earsboy:

Was it ever stated that just MEN should give up their seat? I think most people expect able-bodied people to offer their seats, not just men. And, don't just hop up for anyone who comes along, but offer it to those in need - elderly, pregnant, or holding a small child. Giving you seat to just some normal woman would be ridiculous and she probably wouldn't take it anyway.

From some of these posts I'm reading, I'm beginning to believe some men here are prima donnas! Sheesh!

As someone mentioned earlier, shell out the extra 50 bucks a day and get your own car!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter