• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Kudos to the Little Blonde Girl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I say shame on you! What if the pregnant woman had waited for a bus or two or three, or was desperate for the toilet (which can happen every 20 minutes when you're pregnant) or was late for work, or felt faint or 100 other reasons why they needed to get on a crowded bus! I suppose you will say she shouldn't be out and about - why not bring back confinement like in the olden days - lock the woman up quick! :sad2:

We don't know why the pregnant woman (or anyone else for that matter) will get on a crowded bus. We also have no idea why the people sitting will not offer up their seats.

I have to disagree with the OP as well. I NEVER expect anyone to get up for me when I get on a crowded bus. AND I never expect DFi to get up if we snag seats on a bus that becomes crowded. He's been walking around all day and is just as tired as everyone else.

AND I'm not so sure the little blodne girl was thinking so much about give up her seat to a woman as much as thinking that it would be fun to stand. Kids think it's fun to stand and hold onto the bars, you see it all the time, especially on the monorail even when they're NOT crowded.

Three things to do at WDW to stop this nonsense:

1.) If you need to be seated on the bus, wait for the next bus if it appears the one there is full to standing. My family has done that at WDW before.

2.) If you absolutely have to have a seat while traveling between the parks, and don't want to wait for the next bus, rent a car for your vacation.

3.) Don't judge people - just because someone looks fit, does not mean they are fit. I don't show off the large chunk of flesh missing from the back of my leg. If it is aching at the end of the day, and there is a long line at the stop, we wait for the next bus so I can have a seat.

I agree about women wanting to be treated as equals, not as invalids who must have a seat so the macho man can feel better about himself. The 'elderly' don't want to be thought of as invalids either - my 69 year old mother would kick anyone's butt off the bus if someone pulled the 'old lady, take my seat' thing on her!

There have been numerous threads on here about this subject - one that appalled me the most had a woman bragging how she bossed a teenager out of his seat, as he was just sitting there playing his video game. What if this kid was autistic, or otherwise mentally or physically disabled, and needed that seat?

:worship: Thank you!

We don't know why the pregnant woman (or anyone else for that matter) will get on a crowded bus. We also have no idea why the people sitting will not offer up their seats.

You are absolutely right. No one looking at my daughter would realise that she has muscular and balance problems. I just thought it was a bit much to say that a pregnant woman who couldn't stand for long periods should not be getting on a crowded bus. I find that quite offensive, although I won't go into all the reasons why here because it will cause even more of an argument, and I really don't want to argue with anybody!

So each to their own...stay seated if you want, but I might be the one giving you grumpy looks if there are other people around who need to sit down and you don't!

So each to their own...stay seated if you want, but I might be the one giving you grumpy looks if there are other people around who need to sit down and you don't!

And I will return the grumpy look.:thumbsup2 :rotfl:

Who knows, I may even offer up a grumpy word or two.:scared1:

I don't really care what other men/boys do. In our family, my ds feels it's important to stand when it's crowded so he can give a seat to a woman/child. But that's just the personality of my son.

Amen! What each person feels is acceptable manners is completely dependent upon what they grew up with and where they live. I am from a medium size southern town; my best friend is from a small town in Pennsylvania. Some of the manners we teach our children are the same - table manners for instance - but some are different ("Miss" Sally vs just Sally to a friend's mom) but we are both teaching our children to have what we consider good manners. My oldest is only 7 but he already holds doors and gives up seats. I have stood on buses (and monorails) while holding a sleeping child and refused an offer of a seat when I felt that I was uncomfortable but OK. That is the way I was raised and the community I live in. I have a master's degree and am the President of my own successful company. I still want to be treated with respect by men - and that includes doors, seats, etc.

While I expect that when I am home, and it is what is considered "having good manners" in my community, I do not expect it when vacationing. At a place like WDW we have to realize that we are in a giant mixing pot with people form other cultures (both domestic & international) and what they are accustomed to may not be the same as what we are. Part of going to a place like WDW is to experience those different cultures. We will always judge others, it is human nature; but we should also always remember that everything is not what it seems, and most people aren't rude on purpose. Their idea of rude and yours might just be a little different.

Just my 2 cents worth.

I have cerebral palsy. You wouldn't be able to tell by just looking at me because I've had corrective surgery on my legs. I have given up my seat many times, but when my legs are aching I stay put. Why should I or anybody else be subjected to your grumpy looks? Who are you to judge?

No one makes you get on a full bus. If you can't/don't want to stand, simpley wait for the next bus. Chances are it will be along in no time.

I have to disagree with the OP as well. I NEVER expect anyone to get up for me when I get on a crowded bus. AND I never expect DFi to get up if we snag seats on a bus that becomes crowded. He's been walking around all day and is just as tired as everyone else.

AND I'm not so sure the little blodne girl was thinking so much about give up her seat to a woman as much as thinking that it would be fun to stand. Kids think it's fun to stand and hold onto the bars, you see it all the time, especially on the monorail even when they're NOT crowded.

Amen! I agree with you! :)

My father-in-law is 78 and not in the best medical shape to stand on a bus. My mother-in-law is 72 and I have a hard time keeping up with her. My father-in-law is never offered a seat and I'm assuming that is because he is male. My mother-in-law is offered a seat all the time and I'm assuming that is because she is female.

My father-in-law has balance problems but no one can see that. I'm sure some people have questioned why he remains seated when his wife is standing or why he doesn't offer his seat to a pregnant woman or a family with kids.

Age has nothing to do with it. My mother-in-law could stand up riding a crowded bus from New York to LA and not have any problems.

Once when i was on the monrail, i was already on it, it wasnt busy and the monorail stopped at the Poly. A man and his young son entered and the man sttod, his son started to sit and the man told his son to remain standing until all the ladies boarding at the time had a seat, then he told him if all the ladies had seats, he could sit. I thought that was very polite, the young son was no more than 11 yrs of age. Way to go, dad!

You are absolutely right. No one looking at my daughter would realise that she has muscular and balance problems. I just thought it was a bit much to say that a pregnant woman who couldn't stand for long periods should not be getting on a crowded bus. I find that quite offensive, although I won't go into all the reasons why here because it will cause even more of an argument, and I really don't want to argue with anybody!

So explain exactly how it is more a stranger's responsibility to ensure that a preagnant woman is cared for than it is her familys? That is the point I am trying to make. Look out for your own family and be sure they are safe. Don't just assume someone else will do it for you. I never said preagnant women shouldn't be out and about, please don't put words in my mouth. I just said her family should be the one looking out for her needs. And if she needs to sit and the bus is full, then either wait for the next bus, or grab one of the many waiting taxis.

What is wrong with the political pictures? No one discusses politics on here anyways so just ignore it.:confused3

This seat discussion was just on another thread and it got out of control. I see everyone's points and agree with a lot- on both sides of the issue. But really, riding a disney bus and standing is not that bad (to the poster that said they are afraid to ride the buses now). Unless of course you have a medical concern. Everyone has their own opinion on this, and while some people think it is the "right thing to do" for someone to give up their seat, it is not mandatory. I personally have no reason I can not stand on a bus and would rather just get on and stand to get back to my room quickly (when I am tired). I would give up my seat (and I am a woman) to someone that truly needed it, and have never received dirty looks for it. A woman or man holding a sleeping child can have my seat any day, and I doubt they would give a dirty look for me offering it.

For a while I was on crutches, had on a leg brace, and had serious balance issues (and I'm only 19!). I never expected someone to get up for me on public transportation, but thankfully, someone always did. Now that I'm (for the most part) better, I always stand up for anyone who looks like they might need it. (I also stand up for members of the military in uniform, but they rarely accept the seat).

Yes, I know you can't always tell when someone's incapable of standing- I used to wear long dresses to cover up the scars and the brace- so I don't give dirty looks. However, if you are capable of standing and just won't when there are people who need the seat, my blood just boils!

I'm really surprised at how many people get a negative reaction at Disney when offering their seat.

I live in NYC, and therefore seat juggling is just part of the many other crazy unspoken moments of subway etiquette. I'm a female in my twenties and I give up my seat no matter how tired I am for pregnant woman, woman carrying children, anyone using a cane/crutch type device and any elderly person who looks like they want a seat. It seems you can tell the difference between a very strong senior who is okay standing and one who is desperately scanning for a seat.

If I'm NOT tired, I'll also offer my seat to anyone who looks exhausted, which happens a lot here, and I imagine that it's that way in Disney also. People who have been working forever, tourists that look exhausted etc.

The only time I've ever heard anyone say anything was when I was living abroad I offered to an older woman who declined, but then said "That's one of the few benefits of growing older. Always have a seat".

That said, I will also occasionally take a seat if a man watches.

I think it's over pc, and jaded to not offer or think to offer. I think it's just about thinking about someone other than yourselves. Which people seem to have a hard time doing sometimes.

That said, I don't judge individuals not giving up their seats. . . cause who knows, it's more like a collective group issue. If there's a pregnant woman, and NOONE gets up, it irks me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter