Kids missing school

Otto's Doll

<font color=blue>Cheese and Whiskers, I just can't
Hi, I have been reading these boards for a few days, but this is my first post. Lots of good information out there! Thanks to all who share...
anyway, I am pulling my kids (DD 8, DS 10) out of school after the first 2 days, and keeping them out for 11 days (actual school days missed is 7). Has anyone else done this? What, if any, problems did this cause? I did speak to the princepal and she gave us her blessings. (Both kids are excellent students).
Any thoughts?

(PS. How do I add a countdown to Disneyday?)

:earsgirl: :earsboy:

I'm doing it in March, but my son is only in Kindergarten and already reads at a 2nd or 3rd grade level so it's not a big issue.

If the Principal was ok with it, you're good to go.

Maybe just make sure they do some of their make up work before you leave?

There are many threads here that address this exact question and a fair amount of controversy over the issue. You might want to do a search and read some of the discussions. Personally, I think the benefits outweigh the downside but others have certainly felt differently. Have a wonderful trip. I'm sure you will find many compensating educational experiences at WDW. :D

Hi I do it each year i pull out my kids a week before x mas break and go down because there are less people and less crowds, i get all there homework and have them do it in moderation i schedule like a half hour each morning to work on class work not a lot of time though it is vacation

Did it the first time when DD (9) was in 1st grade (6 yrs old) - no problem. Doing it again this year - Sept 19-28. She will miss 6 days and DS (4) will miss 4 days of pre-school. Our school district is very understanding and she is a very good student, so there hasn't been an issue. Last time, we took work with us and worked on the plane and a little while we there. We plan on doing the same this year. We have been working very hard this summer to keep up with work from last year and figure a lot of Sept is review and she is ahead of the game.

I had worried about this too. Usually we go in spring and my son doesn't miss school. This year we have opted to go in November. My son will be missing 6 days of school and he is in the 2nd grade. I think it depends on the child. My son reads at a 4th or 5th grade level. I think the trip is good for him not only because he gets to be with his family but he also learns a lot while we are there. I don't think this is as big of an issue until they are in high school and again it depends on the child.

Yes, we've pulled the kids out for DW before and since the twins were only in second grade it wasn't too bad but my older son was in 8th grade and had some MAJOR work that he was going to miss! it took me about three months to get the ok from his school! this year the twins are in 5th grade and the oldest is in 11th so I am puting the request in September (for Dec.) They will make sure that the kids all have their homework to take or to have done ahead of time. It can be really hard depending on your schools and teachers! just make sure you get your request in early so they know what to assign. HAVE FUN! Helen

I would have no problem taking my kids out of school for a vacation. Last November my dad passed away and we hd to run to Florida(tampa). Naturally the school had no problem with that. What diff. does it make if you take your kids out for a tragedy or a happy occation. After all, she's 9yr.old and not in medical school learning how to perform heart surgery. JMO.....To who ever is taking there kids out of school...Don't worry, have a good time, life is to short to worry about a few days of missing school.....

I too, am pulling my dd who is starting kindergarten out for 7 school days.

i talked with the school administration as well and her teacher and had everyone's blessing.

The teacher is going to give us all the assignments she will miss and we'll work on them during the long drive.

We are also making a memories book with pictures, autographs, and special moments of our trip. She is going to take the book to school and share it with her friends.

I struggled at first with taking her out. I'm not sure I'll do it as she gets older, but then again....life is so short I feel like we need to live it.

I'm not saying Disney is more important than school, but I do think that special family time together (at Disney or elsewhere) is as important as education.

Jumping off soapbox now....sorry.

Go, have a great time. Your child wont miss much at all.

Just an added bit of information that might make you feel better. My DS just finished his first week (4-day) of 5th grade. They have really done nothing at all! They spent time getting to know each other, orgazing the room and the day, a little review, but no homework, test, or new concepts. As our school goes back so early, they always have quite a few students join the class in the first few weeks and they alway do just fine. This might just be the ideal time to take your child out.
BTW, We do take DS out for trips including WDW. WE have never had a problem but plan to make this the last year. DS will be middle school next year and we do plan tp switch to school break trips. I dread that so much but we have loved 10 years of off season vacations!!!!! I think once they hit middle school it gets harder though not imposible to take them out.

Enjoy the trip and don't worry!!!!
Jordan's mom

Thanks for all the input. You are right, life is too short to worry about it. Our kids already know very well how much we value education, and I am sure that this one trip won't negate years of teaching them our values! :D
I did let each teacher know that all work they miss will be made up within a week of our return, I know that it will all be review work, as it will only be the second week of school when we return.

Can't wait to go!:jester:

Our DD missed 4 days of 3rd grade from our last 2 Disney trips.

This year she will miss 5 days because we are going the first week in January, right after school starts back from Christmas vacation!

I don't think it is a big deal to miss a few days. As long as you have a school and teacher that is accomodating :)

Teresa

Don't forget to ask if the teachers have the work planned ahead of time if they will give it too you before the trip. Last year, DS's teacher gave him his assignments on wednesday before we left that week-end and we were able to get much of it done at night with his regular homework. We did some on the way down and finished up on the return from our trip. We tried doing one thing at the resort but it was too hard to concentrate! My Sister however takes her boys out every year and they plan homework time into their WDW days. Not for us but might work for others. Have a blast. We are still 4 months out!!!!1

Jordan's mom

I'm a teacher (third grade) and don't really have a problem with it. It may be difficult for older kids (middle school and above).
I would have no problem taking my own children out for a few days, less than a week,say, but I can't take ths time off to travel on non-vacation weeks.
The teacher discount at the Dolphin and the Swan makes up for it though.:bounce: :bounce: :smooth:

We have taken our kids out of school too.
We will be doing it again this year. It has to be okayed by the principal. I don't see how they can turn it down. Family time is as important as school, just in different ways. Our kids will be in 5th, 2nd and kindergarten. They will be gone ten days, but only miss four days of school, and possibly one or two only for the kindergartener. I hate going during peek season, so we compromise.

However, last year our school decided it was too much work for the teachers to give homework before vacations, so it had to be made up after vacations.

Boy, am I ever glad I saw this thread. We're going next month, and I'm pulling my DS (1st grade) and DD (kindergarten) out of school. I agonized over it, but DH felt very comfortable with his decision. But then I realized that, like sarahandhannahsmom already pointed out, the time spent together as a family is SOOO important.

So now I'll be one of the ones just kicking back and enjoying the look on DS's face when he finally meets Ariel!

I'm another who has no problem pulling her kid out for Disney. I look at things from the "big picture" When my child is 25 or 40 will having missed 3-10 days of school really make that much of an impact in his/her life? Hmmm? Probably not. In the short run the child may have to do some catching up and extra homework, but on the whole the child will probably have a week or two of wonderful memories of time spent with his/her family at Disney and be enriched and think nice things about her/his parents ;)

As a friend of mine is fond of saying, "Life is a journey not a destination" The journey is the important thing, so I try to journey down to Disney as often as I can afford LOL!!

:earsgirl:

I agree that missing a few days of school is no big deal. My daughter starts Kindergarten Monday and will be there 2 weeks, then gone the next week (three school days, actually missed). Her teachers are very accomodating. I think everyone likes to get to see kids go to Disney!

I was pulled out of school to travel as a child, so I have never hesitated to do the same with DS. It taught me a lot that I could never have learned in a classroom, and I hope it's doing the same for him.

Ciao,
Mort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter