Kid's Bathroom Step-stools at Disney?

coopersmom

DIS Veteran
Just a question if Disney resorts have, or will provide, a step-stool for the bathroom for young kids. I have a three-year-old boy (will be almost four by Disney, but is quite short) who uses a stool for everything in the bathroom, from washing his hands and brushing his teeth to going potty. In public restrooms I always just lift him up, which is fine for a one-off, but don't really think is workable for a week-long trip. I'd hate to have to bring something bulky, and guess I could buy something cheap there if need be, but wondered if Disney had something available. This seems like it would be a common need/request, especially at a place that caters to young children, like Disney does.

I don't know for sure, but I would highly doubt it (it's not like a small child being too short for the sink is disability or anything, know what I mean?). For my three year old, I just put toothpaste on the toothbrush for him and he brushed his teeth while standing on the ground (dh or I brush them after he does anyway). Washing hands . . . we would pick him up, but then again we were in the parks more than our room, so that's usually where he was washing his hands anyway (same with the potty). I think you just kind of have to deal, LOL. Who knows, anything is possible -- maybe someone else has knowledge of this.

I hated the lack of step stools in the bathroom. Luckily one of our suitcases was strudy enough and just the right size for my daughter to use on our last trip. It was a bit of a hassle keeping it out of the way and having her drag it back out but she was able to reach everything.

I don't know about Disney having them, but I bought a folding one from Crate and Barrel that I always take with us on trips. http://www.crateandbarrel.com/outlet/cleaning-&-utility/folding-step-stool/s476105 It is very sturdy but folds flat and I just put it in our suitcase. Works great for traveling and well worth the $13!
I have that - actually, three of them - one from CVS and two from Ace Hardware. Also check QVC.com, because I think they have a kid-size one. I keep one in the kitchen, one in the car, and one in my suitcase... and I don't even travel with kids! At just five feet tall, I've found most hotel beds are too high for me to get into easily. It folds to two inches thick, and it's very light but VERY sturdy.

Surprisingly, they do not provide step stools. I requested one at the same time I requested a bedrail, and they said they could not provide them. This was true at the Contemporary and at Port Orleans French Quarter.

I would guess they don't provide them because they don't want to open themselves up to a law suit should the child slip off of one of them and hurt themselves. There is no way for Disney to be sure they are safely used, so best not to hand them out.

Not sure where you're staying, but I know at CBR, there's a little "shelf" thing below the sinks that's about the right height that a kid could stand on while washing hands/brushing teeth. Probably not the best, most ideal set up, but it can work.

We went last November almost in the same situation.
I packed a small fold-up stool from home in one of the suitcases. I was so glad we had it with us and it didn't take up much room :)

I purchased a pink non slip flat folding 1 from Bed Bath & Beyond just for our trip this year, it fit nicely into the luggage.

Usually, we just move one of the chairs next to the sink and they kneel on that. However once we did pack a small stool from ikea. You just turn it upside down, it's hollow and we pack clothes in and around it.

-Virginia

I would guess they don't provide them because they don't want to open themselves up to a law suit should the child slip off of one of them and hurt themselves. There is no way for Disney to be sure they are safely used, so best not to hand them out.

Perhaps, but that could be said about just about anything ... the iron, coffee pot, washing machine, doors where fingers could be smashed, balconies that can be jumped off of, sharp corners on desks and tables, jumping on (and fall off of) a bed, the bathtub itself is a huge hazard, rental bikes, boats or any other mode of transportation imaginable, on and on, ad infinitum. Kids can, and will, get hurt on just about anything. (I've got the ER visits to prove it.)

At other hotels in the recent past, when it's been a brief stay, we've turned over an (empty, clean) trash can and let him stand on that. And I doubt I'm the only parent that had to come up with something on the spur of the moment. A real stool would be a far, far safer option than anything makeshift. It's not a big deal, I just thought at a kid-oriented establishment like Disney something of that nature might be available. By the way, I wasn't trying to say they should, or had to, provide them, just wondering if they did.

Then maybe they don't want them 'disappeared'. Most people own the other things you list - irons, washing machines, doors... very few, even parents, own stepstools (or at least portable stepstools) for their small children.

Or maybe a combination of both - liability and potential theft. My favorite (non-Disney) hotel doesn't provide any type of accommodation to allow me access to their higher-than-'normal' beds - even after they installed the new, higher beds. They also didn't offer to move me to a room with an accessible bed. What they DID do (first, anyway) was suggest that when I was ready to go to sleep, I should call Security and someone would come up and help me into bed. Right. That was gonna happen. I ended up spending the first night on the love seat.

My daughter, who is quite petite, as well, used the pack-n-play (while still packed) when we stayed at the Grand Californian. It was heavy enough not to topple over and was just the right height.

The folding stools are great! We took one in our suitcase as well to BC. It hardly took up any space in our suitcase.

Perhaps, but that could be said about just about anything ... the iron, coffee pot, washing machine, doors where fingers could be smashed, balconies that can be jumped off of, sharp corners on desks and tables, jumping on (and fall off of) a bed, the bathtub itself is a huge hazard, rental bikes, boats or any other mode of transportation imaginable, on and on, ad infinitum. Kids can, and will, get hurt on just about anything. (I've got the ER visits to prove it.)

Kids can and do get hurt on a variety of stuff in the room. But I think there is a difference between getting injured on random stuff, and getting hurt on someting Disney specifically gave to a child to use. "Disney gave me this step stool for my child to use, and they fell off of it and knocked some teeth out. I must sue Disney!" That is how I imagine it would end up going.

I almost hesitate to post this, but we're staying club level and I asked about a step stool for the bathroom and they said they could/would provide one ... Could be bad info, but that's what I was told today.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter