kides say Magic Bands have ruined Disney

Status
Not open for further replies.
my two cents - fast pass was okay when it was timed - as our kids grew up we moved to different types of rides - so it was evolutionary - but now we can't even get two rides in a day because of the limits - it's soarin' or test track - we didn't mind a morning on one ride and an evening on another - but now it's impossible to get two 'e' ticket rides in one day - i agree w/first poster that we're debating keeping our ap's because we're getting tired of just not getting onto rides

When I have kids, if they ever say "X ruined Disney" I will say "aww I'm sorry" then leave them with my or my wife's parents as we spend a week or two at disney. As others have said if your kids are saying this they are obviously spoiled.

Wow! This site deserves the reputation it has. The previous post is just outrageous!
Won't look on this thread again. OP, I suggest you do the same thing.

When I have kids, if they ever say "X ruined Disney" I will say "aww I'm sorry" then leave them with my or my wife's parents as we spend a week or two at disney. As others have said if your kids are saying this they are obviously spoiled.
I came here to see what was up on New Years Eve and this post tells me that it's the same old same old here. You don't know the OP's kids so it's unfair to say such things about them. Wow! :sad2:

I stopped reading your post after the bolded...:rotfl2:

Our family COMPLETELY AGREES with OP! I do not think you are in the minority. :grouphug:

so do I! Not just FP+ but the endless 'screen time' that seems to be a major part of the 'disney experience' now..... I hate all the ridiculous preplanning,I hate all the computer systems that don't 'speak' each others language- I hate being asked to know which ride I want to ride at 11 a.m. 58 days from now.... I also disliked ADr and TS reservation frenzy.... I'm sorry but I am one of the 'WDW vets' who HATES all this new stuff too. Not sure what that means to me for any future visits, but it got me thinking about possible ways to visit and stay away from all that hassle. (lines anyone?) Not sure if my future visits will continue as they used to be, or change significantly.:sick:

so do I! Not just FP+ but the endless 'screen time' that seems to be a major part of the 'disney experience' now..... I hate all the ridiculous preplanning,I hate all the computer systems that don't 'speak' each others language- I hate being asked to know which ride I want to ride at 11 a.m. 58 days from now.... I also disliked ADr and TS reservation frenzy.... I'm sorry but I am one of the 'WDW vets' who HATES all this new stuff too. Not sure what that means to me for any future visits, but it got me thinking about possible ways to visit and stay away from all that hassle. (lines anyone?) Not sure if my future visits will continue as they used to be, or change significantly.:sick:
I don't know where you live but, DLR has no FP+ and no ADR's, It's great!

I hate FP+ and I HATE MDE, I mean really hate it...but I love Disney World as a whole, more than I hate this small portion of what makes it tick. So I will work around it. I'll wait in a standby line. No kids here so I can do that. Others may not have that ability.

I refuse to have appointments on vacation more than I already have with ADR's and such. We like rope drop. We'll get the headliners that way.

I like your style:thumbsup2 I am unsure as of now what all this will mean for us. It's either going to be similiar to you, or it's going to be going elsewhere. As much as I love Disney, there are lots of other places We can travel to.Lots.:guilty:

After reading through all the posts I have some observations.

1. There was a lot of defense for people who shouldn't have to try FP+ b/c they are certain they won't like it. I absolutely agree. I don't believe I said people had to try it or even should try it, not having personal experience w/ it just changes the way I view their posts about FP+.

2. I can sympathize w/ people who are sad that they may not be going to WDW b/c of FP+. It would make me sad, too. I'm pretty sure I'll be right there w/ you in a few years, when my kids surely outgrow WDW for awhile. That's when we'll use our DVC for Hilton Head, or Vero Beach, or as a "base" to visit Universal, or maybe exchange w/ RCI.

3. There's still some disdain for people who like FP+. Kool-aid drinkers? If you say so, lol.

4. I have to laugh at posters who are SHOCKED at some of the posts here. They all seem pretty mild to me :)

5. The reason I like FP+ has a lot to do with my personality. My favorite part of visiting the parks has always been the time when I first walk in the gates. Walking down Main Street, seeing the castle for the first time, the sheer size and awesomeness of "the big golf ball", the music and feeling of going back in time at DHS, the "lushness" of AK. Ever since I discovered planning sites, I ruined those moments for myself by rushing to attractions first thing to get FPs. I did that to myself b/c I couldn't NOT try to beat the crowds. The RD "rush" is now 2 months ahead of time, in front of my computer. I'm not missing anything by doing it! And I love strolling leisurely into the parks, soaking it all in. It has enhanced MY experience, b/c while I like the rides they're not the sole reason I visit WDW. Of course other's experiences will be different.

5. The reason I like FP+ has a lot to do with my personality. My favorite part of visiting the parks has always been the time when I first walk in the gates. Walking down Main Street, seeing the castle for the first time, the sheer size and awesomeness of "the big golf ball", the music and feeling of going back in time at DHS, the "lushness" of AK. Ever since I discovered planning sites, I ruined those moments for myself by rushing to attractions first thing to get FPs. I did that to myself b/c I couldn't NOT try to beat the crowds. The RD "rush" is now 2 months ahead of time, in front of my computer. I'm not missing anything by doing it! And I love strolling leisurely into the parks, soaking it all in. It has enhanced MY experience, b/c while I like the rides they're not the sole reason I visit WDW. Of course other's experiences will be different.

So true! The whole magic of WDW is soaking up the atmosphere and FP+ allows more of this when planned in advance. Planning in advance certainly doesn't fit everyone and one has to be ready to have things not work out and be ok with that. But that whole attitude allows one to relax, go with the flow, and soak up the magic.

After reading through all the posts I have some observations.

1. There was a lot of defense for people who shouldn't have to try FP+ b/c they are certain they won't like it. I absolutely agree. I don't believe I said people had to try it or even should try it, not having personal experience w/ it just changes the way I view their posts about FP+.

2. I can sympathize w/ people who are sad that they may not be going to WDW b/c of FP+. It would make me sad, too. I'm pretty sure I'll be right there w/ you in a few years, when my kids surely outgrow WDW for awhile. That's when we'll use our DVC for Hilton Head, or Vero Beach, or as a "base" to visit Universal, or maybe exchange w/ RCI.

3. There's still some disdain for people who like FP+. Kool-aid drinkers? If you say so, lol.

4. I have to laugh at posters who are SHOCKED at some of the posts here. They all seem pretty mild to me :)

I love your post!: :thumbsup2

1. I completely agree. I always just assume (my fault) that someone has tried FP+ when they opine about it. Knowing what I know now has definitely changed the way I view some posters criticism.

3. Agree. I do not appreciate being called that.

4. Agree. This seems to be a trend. A civil discussion goes on but 1 or 2 trolls grab the spotlight.

5. Majorly agree! This is how I wanted my husband to experience the parks since it was his first visit. Pre FP+ that wasn't possible. Then they introduced MM+ and I got really excited about now being able to stroll down Main Street the way Walt intended instead of rushing past with everyone else. In fact, this was my first thought after I learned about FP+. Unfortunately, I didn't end up doing that this trip because I gave into peer pressure to RD as usual. :laughing: knowing what I know now, I wont be giving in to peer pressure on this next trip!

Jennadeedooda is right on point:worship:
We also find with fp+ you must def don't get as many things in and it's all because of the system.
You are forced to skip attractions, stand in long lines, or go extra days.

I don't know where you live but, DLR has no FP+ and no ADR's, It's great!

There are mannnnnny more reasons IMO that dlr is better too.
One of them is the time saved by not needing to,ride buses

I'm not a huge fan of FP+. I won't hide that. It was great on the days that we couldn't enter the parks early, but on days we were in the park at RD we didn't enjoy it. Those 2 things level out to leave me at "meh" status about it. I don't hate it, but I don't love it. I see advantages, but I also see disadvantages.

I, also, am one that loves to take in Main Street while leisurely strolling down it (and similarly in Epcot/DHS/AK). We never "rushed to attractions first thing" to get FPs- we never needed to do that. We didn't have FP runners, we didn't criss cross the parks for FPs. We checked FP return times on phone apps without having to be at the ride to decide if we wanted to grab one, would make the decision, grab a FP, and then do other attractions in the immediate vicinity while waiting for the FP. Because we have *always* been this way in the parks, it isn't something that FP+ enhances for us. We continue to do what we can to enjoy the parks that way because it's the way we've always enjoyed them, even under legacy FP.

If anything, FP+ *took away* from that leisurely feeling a little bit for us on this trip, as we felt like we had to be a certain place (on the other side of the park from where we were) by a certain time, which sometimes (not all the time) required us to rush more than we would have normally needed to, and we definitely did more backtracking than we have ever done before. The latter we can (and will) fix on future trips,but that doesn't change that it was our experience with it the first time.

12 times in 6 years is kind of excessive, don't you think? How about a trip to Mt. Rushmore? Yellowstone? Disneyland?

I haven't been back since FP+, but I got to say I don't like the basic idea. But my family doesn't park hop, so we don't have the same issues it sounds like you do.

I'm not a huge fan of FP+. I won't hide that. It was great on the days that we couldn't enter the parks early, but on days we were in the park at RD we didn't enjoy it. Those 2 things level out to leave me at "meh" status about it. I don't hate it, but I don't love it. I see advantages, but I also see disadvantages.

I, also, am one that loves to take in Main Street while leisurely strolling down it (and similarly in Epcot/DHS/AK). We never "rushed to attractions first thing" to get FPs- we never needed to do that. We didn't have FP runners, we didn't criss cross the parks for FPs. We checked FP return times on phone apps without having to be at the ride to decide if we wanted to grab one, would make the decision, grab a FP, and then do other attractions in the immediate vicinity while waiting for the FP. Because we have *always* been this way in the parks, it isn't something that FP+ enhances for us. We continue to do what we can to enjoy the parks that way because it's the way we've always enjoyed them, even under legacy FP.

If anything, FP+ *took away* from that leisurely feeling a little bit for us on this trip, as we felt like we had to be a certain place (on the other side of the park from where we were) by a certain time, which sometimes (not all the time) required us to rush more than we would have normally needed to, and we definitely did more backtracking than we have ever done before. The latter we can (and will) fix on future trips,but that doesn't change that it was our experience with it the first time.

We never rushed from attraction to attraction either. We gathered Fps as we went along our way. We started each land by getting a FP for the headliner we wanted to ride there, then did the other lesser attractions (since they didn't have FP) filling the time until our FP window opened.

We also took our time walking down Main Street. At DHS we would purposely kill the first half hour meeting characters until the crush of people were gone from the TSMM FP machines. But we never park hopped and were perfectly happy with a time later in the day.

If you don't want to read through all 14 pages (so far) of this thread, here's the Cliffs Notes version of how it has devolved:

"FP+ sucks and you're dumb if you don't think so"

"No FP+ is great and you're dumb if you don't think so"

"I resent you calling me a liar and you're double dumb"

"I resent you calling me calling you a liar (even though you're a liar) and you're triple dumb"

And so on and so forth for the umpteenth FP+ hijacked discussion. :coffee:

That's interesting OP.
My teens were the opposite - they liked FP+ because even though they did less rides overall during the day, they enjoyed being able to sleep in and go to the parks around noon knowing that they had FP+ to their favorite rides.

They don't care much for Soarin' or TSMM so the tiering didn't bother them much at Epcot and DHS.

Mine still aren't interested in going back again though - I think we've taken them there too much and they like thrill rides so they prefer Universal.

I personally still prefer the old way of doing FP but I have been able to adjust the way I tour slowly but surely.
I'm considering not renewing my AP at WDW when it expires in May 2015 and doing a trip to Disneyland instead even though it would cost me more because of flying and renting a car (plus I'd have to go see my sister who lives in CA. LOL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter