kides say Magic Bands have ruined Disney

Status
Not open for further replies.
We went to WDW in Nov 2013, we had the magic bands with the fp+. We loved it. I did try to book the fast passes in the same section in a close time period so we could ride those rides quickly and go get more fp or just do something else.

We go back in the fall, and I cant wait to do my bookings :)

Yes there are extra expenses with the Express Pass, but honestly it offers front of the line to ALL but 4 attractions. Whereas, FP+ allows you to reserve 3 FP+ and then get more.

For my vacation in April, Universal for 3 days with front of the line and park hopping is less expensive than my 3 day no park hopper at WDW and I'm not staying at a Universal deluxe resort.

Would you mind explaining the exact US tickets you're buying? Is it express pass for all 3 days? Is it express pass for both parks?

Would you mind explaining the exact US tickets you're buying? Is it express pass for all 3 days? Is it express pass for both parks?
It 's an express pass for all 3 days, but I got in on the buy 2 days and get 3rd day free. It's also a park to park.

It 's an express pass for all 3 days, but I got in on the buy 2 days and get 3rd day free. It's also a park to park.

Thanks.

I read this sort of thing a lot. Someone will say I can buy an x number of days plus extras at US for cheaper than an x number of days at WDW. But whenever I price it out for myself that is never the case. Can someone explain what I'm doing wrong? In this scenario I went to the U.S. website selected the park to park 2+1 day free ticket that Suvadoo specified, then selected the express pass for both parks for the cheapest dates I could find (April 28-30) and I come to a grand total of $366. However a 3 day WDW base ticket is $291. How is it possible to say US is cheaper?

Thanks. I read this sort of thing a lot. Someone will say I can buy an x number of days plus extras at US for cheaper than an x number of days at WDW. But whenever I price it out for myself that is never the case. Can someone explain what I'm doing wrong? In this scenario I went to the U.S. website selected the park to park 2+1 day free ticket that Suvadoo specified, then selected the express pass for both parks for the cheapest dates I could find (April 28-30) and I come to a grand total of $366. However a 3 day WDW base ticket is $291. How is it possible to say US is cheaper?

I always want to know this too. Our family never does universal as we've tried and not enjoyed it as much and we can't afford them both. If I could do it cheaply we'd love to try it again as it's been a few years. But it always comes out to more despite trying the things people post on here.

If you're figuring park-to-park for Universal, then adding the Park Hopper to Disney's base ticket brings it to $354. Still cheaper than Universal, but much more comparable. And for me, FotL for Universal makes it much more appealing than scheduling FP+ for three rides but others I'm sure feel differently. :)

Edited to add: We're staying at the Royal Pacific near the end of January for $196/night, so we will get Express Pass by staying at the hotel and won't have to add it on (although hopefully at that time of year, it won't be crowded anyway). I'm not sure we would be able to stay at a Disney deluxe for that price. At least I think it's probably been quite a few years since we've gotten a price like that, except for when we've stayed at the Swan or Dolphin.

I understand your kids view. We are AP holders and have seen the difference in the last year. We dont get a very long notice for the FPs reservations and our touring/visits are in a different mode then those who come for a real vacation at WDW.
We tried the FP and everyone hated it. We felt the same way scheduling was difficult and then we waited around for the next FP. We noticed an increase in crowds even in what used to be slower periods and this just added to the challenges. Several of our family members have dropped the AP and replaced it with a Universal AP. They saved money on the US AP and were happy with all the new stuff at US. I have dropped down to a Seasonal AP and will reevaluate when it comes up for renewal.

Needless to say it is here to stay and they just announced it will be expanding to other Disney parks including Disneyland.

Went three times in 2014 (for a total of 26 days) and loved every trip. Yes, we had to make some changes to how we tour and plan, but just like every other trip before things were smooth for the most part.

As usual, rope drop was central for our success (in the parks at attractions not sitting at a character buffet), mornings were almost exclusively standby then we hit our first FP+ just before lunch, then two back to back after lunch.

The addition of FP+ and magic bands didn't add or detract from our experience really at all except for the fact that I hate wearing a bracelet.

If you're figuring park-to-park for Universal, then adding the Park Hopper to Disney's base ticket brings it to $354. Still cheaper than Universal, but much more comparable. And for me, FotL for Universal makes it much more appealing than scheduling FP+ for three rides but others I'm sure feel differently. :)

Edited to add: We're staying at the Royal Pacific near the end of January for $196/night, so we will get Express Pass by staying at the hotel and won't have to add it on (although hopefully at that time of year, it won't be crowded anyway). I'm not sure we would be able to stay at a Disney deluxe for that price. At least I think it's probably been quite a few years since we've gotten a price like that, except for when we've stayed at the Swan or Dolphin.

I'm aware that adding a PH would be comparable but Suvadoo said a 3 day US park to park to ticket with express pass was cheaper than just a 3 day WDW base ticket. I don't understand how they are getting that?

I just got through booking a split US/WDW trip for this spring. I think the ticket packages are as close to comparable as I could get and I'm staying at Royal Pacific at US and Contemporary at WDW. There were discounted offers applied for both resorts so I figure that was pretty much a wash.

Bottom line ... my Disney portion of the trip is roughly $65 more per person per park day. So yeah ... more expensive but not a lot, and since my travel party is really only going to US because of the Harry Potter attractions, you have to discount the impact of front of the line passes for my group since the HP headliner rides are excluded from that perk.

For me, if you're making decisions based on which one is cheaper, there's simply not a big enough gap to tilt one park over the other unless you simply prefer the experience at one over the other ahead of time. And I've priced this type of split stay 4 or 5 different times since Hogsmeade opened ... and the price gap has always been in the same ballpark. I enjoy both parks a lot, but have much more of an emotional attachment to Disney. Still, I'm open to what Universal has to offer and have enjoyed several visits to their parks in both Florida and California.

As always, your own mileage will vary based on what kind of deal you can cut versus what I cobbled together.

Actually, I just priced this at $344. Apparently, the park hopper charge is discounted on tickets 3 days or less.

Eta: I was also using the cheapest dates available for express pass. If I were to use the dates at the beginning of April then the total cost is $506 for one ticket. Middle of April would be $417.

You are conflating knowledge with willingness.

But you see, this is the issue, IMO. No matter which FP system you like, if the return time is way past what you are comfortable with, you either dump the attraction, or you make the best of it. I have skipped TofT when the return time was way ;later than I wanted to hang around at DHS. The problem I see with the OP complaint (and I admit I am not at all sure what really was going on and do not care to speculate), is that the family did not want to let go of a FP even though they did not want to stay at the park. It really doesn't matter which system you use, if you cannot adapt to the current situation, you are apt to be unhappy. Add a busy season and the problem is magnified.

I'm aware that adding a PH would be comparable but Suvadoo said a 3 day US park to park to ticket with express pass was cheaper than just a 3 day WDW base ticket. I don't understand how they are getting that?

What you are doing wrong is pricing the base ticket and express separately. Go back to the U site and look at the bundled tickets. You'll see that a 3 day park to park with unlimited express is as low as $269 date dependant.

Doesn't there get to a point where so many people have the express pass at universal that it just becomes a regular line?

Doesn't there get to a point where so many people have the express pass at universal that it just becomes a regular line?

Not really. They limit how many they sell (beyond the number allotted for onsite guests).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter