Keep Kids Excited about trip

momofbatman

Earning My Ears
Our trip isnt until May, how do others keep their kids excited about a trip even though its not for a few months? My oldest is still excited, she even started making her own videos.

I usually didn't try to get my kids excitement level up until we were only a few weeks away from our trip. I started our countdown chain only 30 days out, and less if the trip was during the school year. A trip is exciting, and a great thing to look forward to, but I never wanted that to diminish the excitement of a soccer game, a school awards night, a band concert, etc.
I think your kids will get amped up enough right before the trip to have that excitement carry right on through the entire vacation.

We only go in November, so we have a long period between each trip. We usually watch the planning DVD, we DVR all the Disney World shows on Desination America network and watch them whenever we're all cuddled on the couch together, we look up YouTube videos, etc. They look forward to it so much that they only watch Disney Jr. during the day lol Enjoy, one of the best parts is the anticipation!!!!

We go 1-2 times a year so our kids are kind of spoiled. Their levels of pre trip excitement varies. Right now though, they are pretty excited about our April trip and love watching ride videos on YouTube.

Our kids level of excitement varies also, I guess I will wait until about a month out to really reinvigorate their excitement. The Disney planning video is a good idea, I will try that soon.

I don't see any need to force this. There's a million other things to be excited about in the meantime.

Our DD doesn't even want to hear about the trip until about a month out - it doesn't seem real to her that far ahead and it's impossible to get any excitement out of her more than a month from the trip. I'd just let it go until then.

Well, I don't get to do this too much with mine as DD keeps insisting it should be a surprise. But here are some ideas for how the kids still keep their excitement up for a trip someday:
* watch youtube videos of reveals, character shows, rides
* watch the planning DVD
* watch the old shows about WDW
* read the kids travel guide for WDW and make a list of top rides and things to do in each park
* let her help with packing lists and planning outfits and what are good walking shoes

And I agree with the pps -- the excitement level will naturally wax and wane over time and that's okay. There will be other things to focus on that are more immediate. She'll still get excited before you go. Have fun!

I haven't told mine yet and it's killing me! We are going at the end of May. We're going to surprise them with the news on Easter. So, they'll have less time to wait before we go.

Even if the excitement comes and goes now, you know they will be beyond excited when the time to go actually comes!

My daughters have been to Disney World multiple times, my son is 3 and only been once and doesn't remember much. We are only going to the Magic Kingdom this trip, but a for a few days. They are definitely excited about the new attractions as they have only seen them once, such as Belle and Ariel attractions. Anyone have any recommendations for the best sit down dining options within the Magic Kingdom?

One month out - I made a countdown paper chain that had a mickey head at the top and the chain hung from it. At the time my kids were 5, 12, 15 and 17. On each chain I customized it for them. For the oldest two it was a little trivia or for them to tell us special things they wanted to do or thing we would go shopping for - like bathing suits. My twelve year old son loved the triva as well, but we found interesting things about the park and tidbits like that that he could seek out when we got there. For the youngest, it was trivia too, and quotes and things to do to get prepared. On each chain I also listed one or two items for each of them to find and get packed - this lessened the burden of finding everything the week before! they loved it!!!

DD is 5(will be about 6 when we leave)... We told her on Valentines Day we were going in April... My plans are as follows...

*gave her a HUGE countdown chain marked from Vday to trip day, it's her job to rip...
*shes doing "chores" to earn .51 to press pennies with
*she has to pick her MB color and the stickers she wants me to decorate it with
*Disney Family Movie Night each Friday with themed meals and activities (like decorating a box like a car for Cars movie and she can eat/watch movie in the "drive in"... Etc.
*we have a mommy and me shopping day planned to get her clothes for travel
*we scrap at home so she has to help me make her Epcot passport, some other things like that

Hope that helps!!!

Our trip isn't until November so we have a long time to wait. I want to do a Disney Themed Dinner and Movie night once a month. My daughter talks about the trip almost everyday and says all she can think about is Dole Whips! Once it gets closer I will do more of a count down. My DD is almost 5 and my DS is 2. My daughter is also going to be able to earn money to put on a gift card for the trip.

Flightless duck-
Why not? Although we go once a year, my kids look forward to each and every trip just as much as we do. We like to watch the videos so we can get excited about everything we're going to do when we go back. Our family trips are very special to us and we do what we can to make those memories last just a little longer for them.

We discuss our upcoming trips quite a bit as a family ahead of time. Planning meals, park days, etc. After the initial planning stage has worn off there is a little lull in our discussing but then when it gets close enough we start a countdown of some sorts. We will have Disney themed meal/movie nights on landmark nights (90 days out, 60, etc).
For my kids the excitement is always there and they are always counting down to our next trip even like now when we don't have concrete dates on the books for the next one. lol

Well the Disney planning video sparked some excitement, as well as showing the kids the new renovations at Downtown Disney. It isn't too hard to get excited about our trip when its below zero outside and snowing like crazy!

I feed of my kids' individual personalities. The ones who talking too much is s turn off, I don't engage much. The ones that love the build up, I find ways to inject it into conversations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter